Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
For the first time in my life, the Cubs are heading to the postseason and I don't have the usual overwhelming sense of dread that can only come with the crushing weight of a century of failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
That's really cool, despite the fact that I'm angry they named their kid Zion Zobrist.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Haha there hasn't been much talent on that roster for about two months now.

You can take Justin Wilson out of the suck, but you can't take the suck out of Justin Wilson

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Julio Cruz posted:

Someone could make a bot to *INSERT TEAM HERE*post. Wouldn't be difficult, just give it a choice of excessive optimism or excessive pessimism, depending on if the *INSERT TEAM HERE* are winning or not.

That's the way GDT posting goes for every team in the GDT. There are just a lot more Cubs fans, so it's a lot more noticeable when we do it.

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 2, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm officially going to the WC game tomorrow and I am extremely nervous and excited. Hopefully this goes better than when I was there in 2015.

If they lose, please don't boo your team off the field again like in 2015.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yes they are very handsome and sexually attractive

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Yeah honestly I think Altuve ever so slightly edges Judge out simply on the basis of his performance being consistent vs Judge's on/off/on every two months, but if Judge ends up winning the MVP I wouldn't be outraged or anything.

Speaking of consistency, in Adrian Beltre's career as a Ranger (2011-2017) he's had exactly one stolen base per season. No more, no less.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Honestly not really. Last year I was a loving wreck, but this year it's just cool that the Cubs even managed to win the division and get here again, considering how piss poor WS champion teams usually perform the year after.

This is the boat I'm in. This is the first year of my life where the Cubs have made the postseason and I'm not slammed with the crippling anxiety of a century of failure, so I'm actually going to enjoy the games this year and not just the results, drat it. :argh:

I do think a lot of people are overlooking the Cubs as contenders to repeat, though. The Indians are the only team in the majors with a better post-All-Star-break record, so it's definitely possible for the Cubs to make a deep run.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

I know it's not super unlikely or anything but I think it's cool that we still haven't faced a repeat opponent in the postseason over the past 3 seasons (Pirates/Cards/Mets, Giants/Dodgers/Indians, Nationals). Would be cool to make it to the NLCS against the wild card winner but I'd rather the Dodgers win that series and hopefully set up an NLCS rematch

It's pretty impressive when you consider that 5 of the 6 division winners are the exact same as last year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Don't you need to win a game against the Yankees first? :)

This is seeming less and less likely now :smith:

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 4, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Seems unlikely that the Yankees would do well in a 5 or 7 game series if their starters continue to go 1/3 of an inning per outing.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

On this day one year ago the Orioles and Blue Jays were tied 2-2 in the 9th inning of the AL Wild Card game and Buck Showalter didn't even have Zach Britton warm up.

#neverforget

This is what I remember most about that game:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I think I'd rather see Leonys Martin make the postseason roster over Justin Wilson

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Accident Underwater posted:

Daniel Murphy has been stuck in playoff mode for like the last 1000 PAs

I don't approve of Daniel Murphy's playoff lifestyle

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

I still wear my 62 jersey to every game :911:

Since there's no name on the back, I'm just gonna assume it's a Jay Tessmer jersey

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I'm totally fine with coming out of DC with a split. It's now a best-of-3 series and the Cubs have home field advantage.

Poque and I will be in the front row of the bleachers for games 3 and 4. If I catch an opposing home run, I promise to throw it back as fast as humanly possible, hopefully so fast that I'm still on camera when I do it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

Also, every face better than the last:

I'm the scrawny pale guy in the Yankees wetsuit that's too busy plotting the deaths of everyone around him to care about the fact that a great play has been made directly in front of him.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Miz Kriss posted:

Mlb schedule is saying Roark vs Arietta. :ohdear:

It's supposed to rain non-stop all day tomorrow, so there's a good chance the game won't happen at all. Game 4 could end up being on Wednesday, which would mean another day of rest for Strasburg. Not sure if Arrieta would still get the start in that case or Hendricks.

Poque posted:

"I mean, it's not really turning it on when you bloop one in there, you know what I mean?" - Dusty Baker

:salt: :salt:

It's not really offense when you rely on one player making 2 errors to score a run either.

:iceburn:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Your Taint posted:

Cubs/Nats starts at 4:38 central tomorrow.

Glad the MLB made it this way regardless of the outcome of the Dodgers/DBacks game. It's supposed to rain for most of the day, but it's really going to pick up around 9pm.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I heard Kars for Kids all the time when I lived in Los Angeles, so it's definitely a national thing.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

CubsWoo posted:

MLB saying that barring extreme weather conditions Game 4 will be played to completion today (which probably means sustained downpours or major lightning storms.)

Looking forward to being completely out in the open in the bleachers tonight. :gonk:

Yesterday's weather was absolutely perfect for baseball and today's gonna be the complete opposite.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

There was a nice moment before the game where Jon Jay was looking for somebody in the bleachers to toss a ball to, he identified a kid, pointed to him, threw it perfectly to him, kid caught it and nobody tried to Hample it away. :kimchi:

And then Almora came in and interacted with the crowd after like every play. Most players ignore the bleacher bums, but Almora thrived on our energy. It was awesome.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/PWSullivan/status/917884058612486150

Lmao Dusty

#Mold

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Maybe it's not mold but instead dust?

Really want to bring a sign tomorrow that says "You say it's moldy, but I think it's just Dusty"

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

What's stopping you?

Laziness, mostly :effort:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

IcePhoenix posted:

I'll donate $25 to a charity of your choice if you do this and get it on TV.

It'd be pretty unlikely to get on TV, since the rules say "to avoid game disruption, the times of display are limited to before the game, between innings and after the game." I'd have to be lucky enough that they'd come back from commercial early and catch it before the first batter of an inning comes up. Also, we're in the front row, so I don't want to be a dick and block everyone's view behind me, even if it is only up between innings.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
All this drama is gonna end up not mattering when the Nats come back to win the series.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Abel Wingnut posted:

strasburg is starting now?

Just heard on the radio that Strasburg is starting today. I guess he overcame mold sickness

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

All this drama is gonna end up not mattering when the Nats come back to win the series.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ypctMLj.gif[[/img]

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I doubt he was actually sick at all. We all got bamboozled by master schemer Dusty Baker.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder where everyone in this .gif is right now.

BrownThunder posted:

gently caress Cleveland and gently caress you. Suck My whole dick from the back , Boston.

Also the 2017 Yankees remind me a lot of the 2015 Cubs, so prepare for another Yankees championship next year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

I mean, the Cubs tanked for all those years and were validated with a Series. I mean, I hope that was tanking. Please don’t tell me they were actually trying from 2009-2014.

They were trying to get rid of all the garbage players the Tribune Company left them.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Cubs lost the season series 2-4, including a sweep

All 6 games were in April and May, when the Cubs were playing much worse and the Dodgers were playing much better.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

wyoak posted:

Baseball replay works well because safe/out is such a binary distinction (cough cough NFL catch rule), muddying it up with weird things about intent or “that mistake wasn’t a big enough mistake” would be a disaster. It sucks it happened in such a big spot but the alternative is worse (ask Don Denkiger or Jim Joyce).

I thought the Denkinger call was pretty cool :smugdog:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

The Sandlot is not only the best kids baseball movie ever but also the best baseball movie in general

I watched the Sandlot so much as a kid that the VHS tape literally broke.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
If you have Netflix, watch The Battered Bastards of Baseball. It's a documentary, so not sure if it counts as a baseball movie like Bull Durham or Field of Dreams, but it's a great true story about an independent minor league team.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Can't believe no one's mentioned Eight Men Out yet.

I have a soft spot for it because my senior year of college I did a directed study with its film composer.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Somewhere, hundreds of sports bloggers are furiously deleting their "Failure to Launch" and "Houston, you have a problem" headlines.

Hopefully they'll get released like the NY Times Cubs one did

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/795237739826450432/photo/1

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

I've updated the Toxx thread through the NLCS Game 1. Goons have raised over $1,800 for charities this postseason so far, including over $1,200 for Puerto Rico relief. I'll note that for all we like to talk about their giant payrolls, there are very few Toxx pledges related to the Yankees and none related to the Dodgers. :colbert:

The one thread where it's encouraged to post like a Cubs fan

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Former White Sox pitcher Daniel Webb died in an ATV accident.

He was only 28. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Jesus the Cubs loving suck

pot kettle

• Locked thread