Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
She Belongs Elsewhere - Let's Play

Little Nightmares is a game by Tarsier Studios, a studio which previously made content for Little Big Planet 2. I think the influence of their past work is clear in the presentation of this game. Little Nightmares is a puzzle platformer horror adventure game. It has excellent ambience, sound design and an interesting world oozing with its own twisted charm and mysteries. It’s happily my favourite horror game to come out in recent times. Are you hungry to know more?

We play as Six, a lost child in an oversized world. We are defenceless, we have no weapons, no armour or abilities. We only have our wits, speed and small size to allow us to traverse this ominous world and only a lighter to light our way. We have no idea where we are, no idea what's in front of us. All we can do is keep moving forward.

What kind of let’s play is this?

This will be a subtitled let’s play with a narrative theme. I like the amount of character you can interject into this game thanks to one of its design philosophies: The Disturbing Dollhouse. So I’m going to be playing around with that.

Why a subtitled Let’s Play? I just have to listen to people talking all the time!

This game is at its best when its sound design is undisturbed. It really highlights the isolation of the place we find ourselves in. Plus, my voice just does not suit this game. I have what has been called by some a radio/gameshow hosts voice, which is great but just ruins any atmosphere the game could create. So I’ll be keeping quiet. However, if you’re desperate to listen to me talk I will be posting analysis videos talking about the background, development and other stuff that comes along with this game.

Well other than these videos what else you got for us? I need my extras.

Wow, okay you’re demanding. But I’ll be showing you the art and lore of the game. Plus if people are up for it I’ll post a challenge with a reward. There’s also a comic that’s been released alongside this game giving greater lore to this weird world. I will be going over this later.

There also seems to be a game in development for Android and IOS called Little Dreams. I don’t know much about this game as only two screen shots and the logo (Which I love) have been released but I’ll hopefully be able to provide more information on it later.

Reward? Well now you have my attention. But I’ve heard a little about this game. Doesn’t it have some DLC?

That’s right. It does. Tarsier Studios are currently developing an expansion campaign. I won’t be covering it in this play through. Although, that’s mostly because it hasn’t been fully released yet. To date only 1 of 3 of the chapters of the DLC campaign is available, with the other two chapters due for release in November 2017 and January 2018. Once those two are released I’ll come back and do that campaign. It’s fair to say I’ve not yet had my fill of this game.

Aww okay, shame really. I really like this bit wher-

Nope. No spoilers. This game works best when you don’t know what’s coming. That includes spoilers for the DLC. Though you’re free to speculate about what we’ve seen so far. Though to be fair, most of the story itself is found outside the game. Again, for those interested, check the analysis videos to find out more.

One last thing, my life is fairly hectic at the moment, what with a full time job and trying to find a new place to live. So I'll maybe have about an hour I can spend working on videos most days. So at times videos will be fairly slow to update. I'll be trying to fill these inevitable gaps with other things to keep you all occupied, but all the same please be patient between courses.

JohnOfOrdo3 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

JohnOfOrdo3 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 25, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I watched the first episode and I like the gimmick. It's just nice to see somebody playing this who isn't a spazzy facecam-wielding "Internet Celebrity".

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 1, 2017

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

I watched the first episode and I like the gimmick. It's just nice to see somebody playing this who isn't a spazzy facecam-wielding Youtuber.

Little do you know, but I am totally a spazzy facecam. It's just you're seeing through my eyes lenses.

But I know what you mean. I much prefer watching horror games when the Let's Player isn't jump scaring me more than the game by screaming into the microphone.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like the moving subtitles.

This game is incredibly reminiscent of Inside.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
This game is horribly atmospheric and your subtitles add a ton of charm to the narrative. I'm sold.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm digging the style of this so far. I've seen people stream this, but for some reason I always miss this opening section.

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

But I know what you mean. I much prefer watching horror games when the Let's Player isn't jump scaring me more than the game by screaming into the microphone.
Especially a game like this, where the focus should be on the game, not the person playing it who's talking non-stop and preventing any sort of tension.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
I am getting huge King in Yellow vibes from our rainjacketed protagonist here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sindai posted:

I like the moving subtitles.

This game is incredibly reminiscent of Inside.

I can think of worse things to be reminiscent of.

Are we on some kind of a ship? I can't think of too many other places with an indoor playground, and judging by that ball on the floor, it's actually constantly rocking back and forth, that's not just the camera going Dutch.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

I’m glad everyone is enjoying the first taste. I thought it’d work better this way and I’m glad I was right.

A question for you all: In regards to your next serving, what are people’s feelings on long videos? Next one is currently at just under an hour. Now I can split these videos in half, but possibly sacrifice the pacing of a video to it. Or I can leave it full length and it’ll just be your time on the chopping block.

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Glazius posted:

Are we on some kind of a ship? I can't think of too many other places with an indoor playground, and judging by that ball on the floor, it's actually constantly rocking back and forth, that's not just the camera going Dutch.
I definitely got the impression that we're on a ship, though it also being a prison and an orphanage is...interesting, to say the least.

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

A question for you all: In regards to your next serving, what are people’s feelings on long videos? Next one is currently at just under an hour. Now I can split these videos in half, but possibly sacrifice the pacing of a video to it. Or I can leave it full length and it’ll just be your time on the chopping block.
If you can't find a natural stopping point, longer videos are fine.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I definitely got the impression that we're on a ship, though it also being a prison and an orphanage is...interesting, to say the least.

If you can't find a natural stopping point, longer videos are fine.

Since yours is the only opinion gotten I'll see what I can do. May do a split cut and a long cut as well. I'll figure that out. Only six minutes into subtitling the next episode so you'll have to bear with me for a little while.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh, this game. This is a creepy little thing... not everyone liked it, but John is going a good job with it so far. It is very reminiscent of Inside (and thus of all games in this particular mold of "little kid in a big scary world", I suppose) and just like that game, I'm interested to know what newcomers think of what's going on, and the questions raised by the narrative-or lack thereof.

Questions such as: What is this place? Why was Six brought here, and why does she(?) want to leave?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I really like what you're doing with the subtitles.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

resurgam40 posted:

Questions such as: What is this place? Why was Six brought here, and why does she(?) want to leave?
To find some shoes, what the hell do you think? Swear to God, sometimes I wonder if y'all even played the game.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Carbon dioxide posted:

Agreed. This is excellent, and the lenght of video also. I prefer longer vids, because it's the internet. I can just pause and continue later if I need.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Nice piece of fish posted:

Agreed. This is excellent, and the lenght of video also. I prefer longer vids, because it's the internet. I can just pause and continue later if I need.

Thank you again for the positive response everyone. I'm glad your enjoying it. The subtitles take ages to do so it's gratifying to know they're going over well.

Rangpur posted:

To find some shoes, what the hell do you think? Swear to God, sometimes I wonder if y'all even played the game.

What kind of shoes do you all think Six would like best? For those of you with Photoshop or similar. Please elaborate

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Two goombas were harmed in the making of this picture.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just watched this with my wife, and I read the subtitles out loud in a British accent in the manner of... well, this. We had a ball.

What I'm saying is this is really good.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

RickVoid posted:

Just watched this with my wife, and I read the subtitles out loud in a British accent in the manner of... well, this. We had a ball.

What I'm saying is this is really good.

This is great. I wish I had that voice. That would have been perfect for this game in a weird juxtaposed way :allears:

Rangpur posted:

Two goombas were harmed in the making of this picture.

Yes! Perfect. Functional. And the windup at the back is sure to provid hours of entertainment to a bored child. Nicely done!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

The subtitles take ages to do so it's gratifying to know they're going over well.
Imma echo everyone's praise for the subtitles here. And because of them making this a format where I want to sit down and direct full attention to the video, longer videos sound good too.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Nth-ing everyone else on your presentation. Not just the subtitles, but your interactions with Six, and the personality she gains through your gameplay, and everything. I'll have a shoe showcase in a bit, hopefully.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Okay, here we go. For the aspiring female* platforming protagonist:

*(I don't know if Six is a girl, it's just my impression)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I know this is turning into a bit of an echo chamber but I too thought your editing was absolutely brilliant.

That being said will you show off what happens if the big guy or the leaches had caught you in the future?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I don't know if anybody cares, but "leach" refers to draining chemicals/water/etc from soil/ash/etc. "Leech" is the animal.

[/ :spergin: ]

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

azren posted:

Nth-ing everyone else on your presentation. Not just the subtitles, but your interactions with Six, and the personality she gains through your gameplay, and everything. I'll have a shoe showcase in a bit, hopefully.

azren posted:

I don't know if anybody cares, but "leach" refers to draining chemicals/water/etc from soil/ash/etc. "Leech" is the animal.

[/ :spergin: ]

*checks video*

gently caress. Those were some nasty rear end drainings of chemicals/water/etc.

And I thought I did so well with the spelling too. That one slipped right by me. Whoops.

azren posted:

Okay, here we go. For the aspiring female* platforming protagonist:

*(I don't know if Six is a girl, it's just my impression)

Yesssssss. Accessorise with a portal gun, imagine how much momentum you'd get jumping from that 74 meter high bridge. What a rush! Excellent suggestion.

It's actually not defined what gender Six is. Though I'll cover that in a video at some point. So don't worry about it.

Fish Noise posted:

Imma echo everyone's praise for the subtitles here. And because of them making this a format where I want to sit down and direct full attention to the video, longer videos sound good too.

azren posted:

Nth-ing everyone else on your presentation. Not just the subtitles, but your interactions with Six, and the personality she gains through your gameplay, and everything.

cokerpilot posted:

I know this is turning into a bit of an echo chamber but I too thought your editing was absolutely brilliant.

That being said will you show off what happens if the big guy or the leaches had caught you in the future?

Thank you all kindly! Echo away. Turns out it's nice having an Ego for once :v:

And I'll absolutely show off all the awful things that can happen to poor Six. No worries there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm going to keep beating the horse that not only does your narration add a ton to the game, the tricks you do with the subtitles are goddamn inspired.

I can only imagine how long it takes to produce that level of quality, so keep plugging away at it!!

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Happy to report just over halfway done on the next video. Current progress probably means it'll see daylight night weekend. Depends how much of tomorrow I get to dedicate to it. Might even get it done sooner. We'll see.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Throwing in my opinion with everyone else's, in that you have done an amazing job with the subtitles and editing you help add even more atmosphere to the game and more character to Six. Oh and long videos are fine we can always pause and watch as we need to.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Astonishingly good so far, I'm hooked too.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

That heart stopping moment when you're only 8 minutes more of footage from finishing editing the video because you've worked none stop all day on it. And Premier Pro crashes and says it may be unable to recover the file.

Adobe is the true horror game.

:spooky:

Was it able to recover the file? I'll leave you all in suspens-gently caress YES IT DID THANK YOU MERCIFUL loving CHRIST.

soon

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

That heart stopping moment when you're only 8 minutes more of footage from finishing editing the video because you've worked none stop all day on it. And Premier Pro crashes and says it may be unable to recover the file.

Adobe is the true horror game.

:spooky:

Was it able to recover the file? I'll leave you all in suspens-gently caress YES IT DID THANK YOU MERCIFUL loving CHRIST.

soon

Wow, I'm not sure if the LPers' curse has ever hit an LPer this early in their LP.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I've never heard of this game, but I'm glad I saw this LP because you've done it a wonderful service with only one video so far. There needs to be more LPs of horror games like this, it's so sweet.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Ladies and Gentlemen, feast your eyes and tune your ears.

Our second course, is served.

I hope you find this new jaunt as appetising as the last. Please, enjoy at your own paces, there is no rush. There is plenty for all.

With this video up I'm going to be starting to go more into the lore and background of this game. Hopefully those videos won't take two weeks to edit so a little mini update may come more quickly while I slave away on our next main course. Plus I'll be starting to post concept art.

I also recently got my hands on copies of the comics released after this game. They raise a lot more questions then they answer. But the answers they give... Well, all will be revealed in time.

Bon Appétit

JohnOfOrdo3 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 19, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Well that was just...lovely. Excellent work with the subtitles and editing once again. You are giving Six a lot more character than what the base game would have. Well worth the wait for the episode to be done, I tried to watch some on Youtube but it just didn't have the same feel to it. Good luck with the next one.

exhale lively
Apr 18, 2008
Nth'ing the kudos for a lovely presentation of what is honestly a pretty creepy game! Surely Six will find shoes someday...

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I probably shouldn't be watching this in the middle of the night alone in a dark room. :ohdear:

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

megane posted:

I probably shouldn't be watching this in the middle of the night alone in a dark room. :ohdear:

Defiantly not. You should invite your friends and make them watch too. Don't forget to bring snacks in case you get hungry. :munch:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'll say one thing for Six, she has a disarming demeanor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Well, you do have to giver her a hand for how she has handled herself.

If only she got some shoes. :(