Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

haha

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

i can hear the fight in my head

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

This is completely for the win.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i can hear the fight in my head

God drat it now Im hearing the screams too. gently caress yuo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
It wasn't a Jeff Dunham reference, the song just sounds like that

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Bahahahaha

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

:eyepop:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

His cup is full of blood

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I think me and the giant dragonfly at the very end of the second run n gun level have killed each other at the exact same moment 4 or 5 times now. I'm gonna get him

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Oh I killed him relight after posting that. Lol

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I think me and the giant dragonfly at the very end of the second run n gun level have killed each other at the exact same moment 4 or 5 times now. I'm gonna get him

This was once a problem for me, but I finally killed his rear end and got the A+ to boot.. Punk rear end dragon fly

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Oh I killed him relight after posting that. Lol

thats how it always is

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I don't actually call it Cuckhead.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Evil Eagle posted:

His cup is full of blood

:yeah:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Lmao

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Average Bear posted:

I don't actually call it Cuckhead.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Lol

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Lmao

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
I like Cuphead. It's mostly an easier Contra bullet hell but it really walks this line of difficulty that I find just frustrating enough but also aesthetically pleasing enough that I keep getting drawn back in. The style is gorgeous and it doesn't lapse at any point, although the puns can be painfully bad. Even the whole simple "storybook" plot is solid as hell in my book. Plus I love boss fights, so the idea of a game that makes them the main draw is great too.

It's a nice culmination of a lot of things from shooters, run 'n guns and platformers with a fair number of quality of life improvements that I don't remember seeing all at once in many other games. No instant deaths, no gameovers, showing you your level (and even boss) progress upon death, temp. invincibility from fall damage. Seeing the progress really made me want to keep at every boss fight too, even after dying thirty or so times each. I even thought the power penalty with the health bonus was pretty unique (although I haven't taken any yet. gently caress that penalty).

Granted, the bosses do break down to fairly simple patterns at a certain point that are really just a matter of maneuvering yourself into the right place at the right time but it lends itself to it's arcadey kind of style imo. The weapons aren't really that great either which was a little disappointing. The charge shot is the most useful, followed by the homing and mostly only because of the first phase of the phantom train or if you feel like waiting forever to beat the boss) If nothing else, I'd say Cuphead warrants it's price tag, which is something I can't usually say about a lot of games these days.

anyway that's my hot cup of take right there so enjoy :tipshat:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

thats a lot of words, but i appreciate the effort. Ill read them tomorrow morning when ive had some coffee .

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

I know. :kiddo: I've had a lot to say about it pent up over a week of playing it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Starman Super DX posted:

I like Cuphead. It's mostly an easier Contra bullet hell but it really walks this line of difficulty that I find just frustrating enough but also aesthetically pleasing enough that I keep getting drawn back in. The style is gorgeous and it doesn't lapse at any point, although the puns can be painfully bad. Even the whole simple "storybook" plot is solid as hell in my book. Plus I love boss fights, so the idea of a game that makes them the main draw is great too.

It's a nice culmination of a lot of things from shooters, run 'n guns and platformers with a fair number of quality of life improvements that I don't remember seeing all at once in many other games. No instant deaths, no gameovers, showing you your level (and even boss) progress upon death, temp. invincibility from fall damage. Seeing the progress really made me want to keep at every boss fight too, even after dying thirty or so times each. I even thought the power penalty with the health bonus was pretty unique (although I haven't taken any yet. gently caress that penalty).

Granted, the bosses do break down to fairly simple patterns at a certain point that are really just a matter of maneuvering yourself into the right place at the right time but it lends itself to it's arcadey kind of style imo. The weapons aren't really that great either which was a little disappointing. The charge shot is the most useful, followed by the homing and mostly only because of the first phase of the phantom train or if you feel like waiting forever to beat the boss) If nothing else, I'd say Cuphead warrants it's price tag, which is something I can't usually say about a lot of games these days.

anyway that's my hot cup of take right there so enjoy :tipshat:

The only thing in the game I thought felt a little unfair was during the devil fight, when he goes into dragon mode and chases you to a corner, if a goon decided to run in on the side that you're being penned in on, it's basically unavoidable damage. I didn't try all the guns on that part, though, so there might be a weapon that can stop it. Other than that, every time I died to something and I thought it was cheap and unavoidable, I eventually found a way to deal with it. I died to the robot boss like a million times before figuring out a strategy that got me an A rank on my clear. What a great game.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

fadam posted:

The only thing in the game I thought felt a little unfair was during the devil fight, when he goes into dragon mode and chases you to a corner, if a goon decided to run in on the side that you're being penned in on, it's basically unavoidable damage. I didn't try all the guns on that part, though, so there might be a weapon that can stop it. Other than that, every time I died to something and I thought it was cheap and unavoidable, I eventually found a way to deal with it. I died to the robot boss like a million times before figuring out a strategy that got me an A rank on my clear. What a great game.

yeah I definitely felt a nice satisfaction out of finally getting nimble enough to dodge all of a boss' attacks without getting hit three times. Tbh I've always had difficulty with some of the higher difficulty action platformer type genre so it was kinda cool to see that I've made some progress in that vein.

Speaking of unfair, and I'm PROBABLY just nitpicking but the hitboxes during the clown fight seemed a little cheap. Maybe I'm wrong, but it felt like sometimes when I should have made the hit it would pass right through the edge, and then getting just a little too close to certain things without touching them would cause damage. That was the only time I noticed anything like that though.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I’m probably just nitpicking but [spills brandy on my shirt after shaking it for 30 minutes] this snifter doesn’t seem very good.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

it's coffee actually :coffeepal: how's your morning going, friend?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

I’m probably just nitpicking but [spills brandy on my shirt after shaking it for 30 minutes] this snifter doesn’t seem very good.

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

fadam posted:

its easy to dodge the dragon part you just duck under the last slither. i figured this out on mmy first try that's why i beat the hardest game of all time cuphead in 4 hours [beat nioh in 1 hour btw]

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

its easy to dodge the dragon part you just duck under the last slither. i figured this out on mmy first try that's why i beat the hardest game of all time cuphead in 4 hours [beat nioh in 1 hour btw]

Thanks for the tip

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Wormskull posted:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Wormskull posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

*immolates from massive ownage*

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 9, 2017

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Starman Super DX posted:

*immolates from massive ownage*

:negativeonfire:

I wasn't flaming you. Goodbye.

Adbot