Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Wasabi the J posted:

Active shooter at Mandalay Bay. My team's ok but holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/davidsakach/status/914730995147870208

This is not a joke. I'm a Vegas goon. Over 20 people probably dead.
Imagine how many people he would have killed if he hadn't consistently taken 20-30 seconds to reload :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Feel kind of lovely that I woke up, heard about Vegas and my first thought was "it's been a while."

E: which says something about either me or America because didn't a guy shoot up a church like a week ago?
http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

There is a mass shooting - 4 or more people being shot in one incident - on average once a day in America. It's just so common that it usually only makes the local news.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Stolen from the GBS thread, here's a non-graphic video.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/914735357408808960/pu/vid/720x1280/nLaK9UEK0mzBJrh5.mp4

The rate of fire is really weird. I extracted the audio and imported it into audacity.

I count about 90 peaks, so if the video missed the first second or so and each peak is a gunshot (which I think they are) that would suggest he was using 100 round drum mags.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

I listened to that clip slowed down to 0.25 speed and yeah each peak is a gunshot. Guess drum magazines have gotten better since Aurora. This gives legislators an opportunity to do something without doing anything meaningful: federal ban on ultra-high-capacity magazines. Think like a 32 round maximum capacity.

The WaPo has a hasty overview of what we know about the shooter. They say he owned two planes and imply he could afford Alaskan hunting trips, so he also had the money to legally purchase a full-auto. Wild.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Saint Celestine posted:

....why 32 rounds? Just curious. Seems rather arbitrary since the vast majority of mags out there are 30 and 40 rounds.
I'm not a TFR poster, I just vaguely remembered some guns having 31 round magazines so I went with 32. It could just as well be 40. Maybe set the number at whatever is the highest capacity magazine the US military uses. A 32/40/whatever round magazine cap would have no effect on 99% of gun owners or other mass shootings while directly addressing a small aspect of the Las Vegas shooting, thus allowing Congress and Trump to say they Did Something while actually doing nothing. edit: I'm spitballing about what might happen, not making a serious and considered policy proposal.

Then again, nothing was done after Aurora despite the use of 100 round drum mags there so probably nothing will be done this time either.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Ceiling fan posted:

I was wondering what came from that. Nothing has been in the US press since the week it happened. I don't even know how many casualties came from it. Other than way too loving many.
Officials still haven't released a final death toll but it was over 80.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

In a ton of these shootings there's one or more people carrying concealed and they run like everyone else because they tend to know well enough not to try shooting in a panic.

Like seriously who in their right mind would risk getting turned into mush by cops mistaking them for the shooter when they start returning fire amidst a panicked crowd, with an inadequate weapon for the job to begin with.
Some of the performer's crew members had guns on their tour bus but knew they couldn't bring them out because the cops might mistakenly shoot them.
https://twitter.com/Calebkeeter/status/914872808110510080

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

http://amp.fox25boston.com/news/only-on-boston-25-exclusive-photos-of-las-vegas-shooters-weapon/618716556

A news station in Boston got some pics of the shooters gear. He was probably using Surefire MAG5 extended mags, not drum mags.

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/high-capacity-magazines.html

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Laranzu posted:

Really just put that qualifier in there because in no other circumstance have they ever said anything even mildly in favor of additional restrictions on any firearm.

In this case Republicans control all branches of government so it's not like they needed to change their standing.

The only thing I can figure is that they want the Republican legislators to have an easy way out. A way out they might need for some reason
It's that that current legal status of bump stocks and other auto-mimic devices is completely indefensible. If you think fully automatic weapons should be regulated, then any device that lets you fire equally fast should be equally regulated. There is zero chance of the status quo surviving, so the NRA trying to defend it would just cost them political capital for no gain.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Hard to find numbers with the recent media attention, what's the rate of fire on bump stocks compared to full auto weapons?
Assuming the gunman was firing using a bump stock, he was firing 10 shots per second. I compared it to a youtuber firing an AR-15 with a bump stock and also got about 10 shots/second. For comparison an M4A1 on full auto does 12+ per second, so we're in the same ballpark.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

FastestGunAlive posted:

You can't. Just like there is no way to convince people that 9/11 and sandy hook were not hoaxes. The best thing to do is get out in front and keep more from joining them rather than trying to fix the ones who are already broke brain
Best thing imo is to mock them. An acquaintance of mine is a Sandy Hook truther, so I take every opportunity to gently caress with him. I posted on his wall for his birthday, "Have you considered that your parents are just crisis actors and your birthday is an elaborate hoax? Check out this video to learn more!" and rickrolled him.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Wait, flashlight apps with GPS enabled? Please tell me it's not one of the built in ones and is an appstore one.
It was a specific app but the principle applies to lots of things. For example, you need to be very careful about what Chrome and Firefox extensions you install, especially if they ask for more permissions or lots at the start. There have been cases where malware distributors have bought out legit extensions and used them to push malware to unsuspecting users.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

soy posted:

Blind trust donation yadda yadda, absolutely should not let anyone know you won. (You won’t win)
The only states that allow you to collect your lottery winnings anonymously are Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Can you imagine trump as a LT leading a combat patrol, especially in Vietnam when platoons were getting wiped out on a regular basis?
Dodging the draft was the best thing Trump ever did for his country.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

giant robot usa vs japan fight starting nwo

https://www.twitch.tv/megabotsinc
I was way more excited when I thought it was going to be like Battlebots where the robots tear each other apart until one stands atop the others corpse, but they're just using paint or something.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

This BuyLegalMeds.com guy has me convinced

https://mobile.twitter.com/MilesKlee/status/920757902897328128

WHAT ABOUT THE MENS

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I don't feel bad for the old dipshit, but I miss his idiocy when compared to Trumps' absolute mastery of bad decisions.

When I hear his voice it's like a dead part of me comes back with fond memories of him dropping his dog or having a shoe thrown at his head.
Bush was an idiot but he wasn't personally malevolent, although some in his inner circle (ie Cheney) definitely were. Plus,

Can you imagine Trump ducking that first shoe? Fucker would've gotten domed.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Officially, Hurricane Irma only killed 52 people. The real death toll is much higher.

quote:

Funeraria Fernandez received 13 bodies since the hurricane. They said at least six of those people died because of a lack of oxygen supply, and one died because of a dialysis machine not working, in addition to several heart attacks. Nine of those were cremated. Five were sent to the forensic institute for examination. None have been included in the death toll.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nidhiprakash/puerto-rico-cremations

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Here is a really, really long read about former Speaker of the House John Boehner. Ordinarily not something I'd link here, and Boehner was a fucker, but holy gently caress there are some incredible quotes.
Half the lines in there deserve to be framed.

quote:

Boehner tells me that when Bush, while in office, refused to join Burning Tree—due to the optics of a president golfing someplace women aren’t allowed—he told the commander in chief, “You’re a pussy.” Years later, when Bush became a member after leaving the White House, Boehner says he told Bush: “You’re still a pussy.”

quote:

Ryan has, however, found comfort in torturing Boehner: The speaker inherited his predecessor’s security detail, and whereas Boehner demanded they be freshly shaven every day, Ryan let them grow unruly beards—pictures of which are often texted to their former boss, code name “Tan Man.”

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Tiffany is kinda cute if it was desperate I guess?
No one in the Trump family mentioned Tiffany's birthday on Twitter :smith:

Tiffany's attempt at a music career wasn't completely embarrassing. Maybe she's the one good Trump?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LVpu6MnXBhQ

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

loving wapo and their pay wall
Right click and select "open link in incognito window". Tada, paywall is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Chuck Tingle suffers from schizophrenia. His son did a reddit AMA. He's got a bunch of mental issues but his tinglers provide him an outlet.

Imagine caro writing gay erotica.
I'm firmly in the camp that Chuck Tingle is an elaborate performance art piece.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2016/10/18/12775742/who-is-chuck-tingle-fake-explained

• Locked thread