Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
No shame in losing to Andy Dalton. Good luck rest of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

lack of receiver depth is what will drat this team

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The defense being this good is both a blessing and a curse because most games will be at the very least close. If this team goes 6-10 with 10 close losses my liver might have some serious issues in the near future.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
That was pretty much pinnacle Buffalo Bills today. They're in first place in the division after experiencing higher than average success in the early part of the year, casual fans and media are both starting to pay attention and expectations are starting to arise. They're playing a winnable game and if they were to win said game they would vault themselves into serious contender talk.

So they lost. But on the plus side after they lose next week too they'll be right on pace for 8-8.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

They won't lose next week :toxx:

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
The offense is uh... hosed.
This is what happens when you hire the Denver Broncos OC.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I dislike him quite a bit, but it's hard to work magic out of Zay Jones, Ben Tate, and Nick O'Leary

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

At least they got rid of all those stupid end arounds that they ran the last two years. Nothing kills a drive quicker than a guaranteed 5 yard loss.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If Anquan Boldin hadn't retired I think the team would have been fine

Charles Clay died (admirably) trying to run deep routes, but he's not Gronk

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Yeah, unless O'Leary suddenly becomes more than generic white #2 TE or Charles Clay's injury isn't serious, the passing game seems completely hosed. To be fair, it was bad to begin with.
Also, I have to agree that you can't blame Dennison. He basically has a bunch of electric football mans for wide receivers.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

At least they got rid of all those stupid end arounds that they ran the last two years. Nothing kills a drive quicker than a guaranteed 5 yard loss.

Yeah now they run the fullback to the outside to see if he can use his extreme agility to get the edge...

I hope the coaches gain some inspiration during the bye because bad receivers or not, it sure seems like if the Bills can't run, they aren't scoring.

The offense is loving up extremely bad and I wouldn't even know where to start in terms of fixing it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I dislike him quite a bit, but it's hard to work magic out of Zay Jones, Ben Tate, and Nick O'Leary

He needs to ditch the zone blocking scheme. Last season McCoy was able to get way more than 3.3 YPC even when passes were bouncing off the chest of Walt Powell.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
BACK HOME :toot:

https://twitter.com/LacesOutShow/status/922184034528256000

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
5-2 going into November bump.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHbnQXsyDrE

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Seen all this 5-2 before but whatever, this was the best McDermott game yet.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remaining schedule

@Jets
Saints
@Chargers
@Chiefs
Patriots
Colts
Dolphins
@Patriots
@Dolphins

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Remaining schedule

@Jets
Saints
@Chargers
@Chiefs
Patriots
Colts
Dolphins
@Patriots
@Dolphins

Reasonable path to 10 wins with jets, 2x dolphins, chargers, and Colts.

History says we lose the Colts and at least one dolphins game

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

History says we lose every division game from here on out, and also half of the non-division games

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Primetime posted:

Reasonable path to 10 wins with jets, 2x dolphins, chargers, and Colts.

History says we lose the Colts and at least one dolphins game

I think the nightmare scenario would be to go into Kansas City 8-2, get spanked, and then lose 4 out of the last 5 to end the season 9-7 and miss the playoffs

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

We haven't had the annual Tyrod missed game yet so I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

The team has been relatively healthy this year and it's made a huge difference. At some point that luck might run out.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

We haven't had the annual Tyrod missed game yet so I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

The team has been relatively healthy this year and it's made a huge difference. At some point that luck might run out.
We have been very lucky, and several of our key pieces should be getting healthy down the stretch. When I realised we had only lost a special teamer to IR on Saturday it became apparent just how lucky we have been. That said, we have had two members of our secondary replaced this past game and the secondary has been just as effective. I believe that the approach to coaching for this team has changed to emphasise preparation and readiness for all, not just getting the most out of their top talent. Our defensive front gets rotation to place less of an emphasis on the individual, and there are only a few positional groups where I see injuries making a huge difference down the stretch:

RB - Tolbert is okay in relief but if we lose McCoy I don't feel great about this positional group. We've known since the beginning of the season that we need McCoy to be healthy this year, and this hasn't changed.
OL - Glenn being back has made a difference these past two games, and now that Ducasse seems to have won the starting job the right side is improving, that said I think if we lose Incognito or Glenn we lose a huge part of our run game.
QB - Taylor isn't necessarily a franchise QB, and Peterman might be good down the line, but obviously I think there's a drop off there if only because of inexperience.

WR - Our WR group isn't great, it's not even good, but I think the way we game plan we minimize their importance anyway so going from WR3 down to WR4 or WR1 to 2 because of injury isn't a huge issue.
LB - Milano has been great for our linebackers and when Humber gets healthy we have a solid group there I think. Losing brown would be a big blow though.

Looking at our schedule I can see us getting to 10 wins with solid game-planning and some lucky breaks:

Dolphins are just bad this year offensively and I think we match up well there, 2 wins.
Colts are the 2017 colts, 3 wins.
Jets have outperformed expectations but I still think we have their number this thursday, 4 wins.

Then we need to win one of: Chargers, Saints, Chiefs, Patriots x2 to get to 5 and a 10-6 record. Very possible.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
trust that process y'all

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/68INCOGNITO/status/924793183913029633

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
As far as players we couldn't afford to lose, Shady and Tyrod are 1A and 1B. Mike Tolbert is a fat guy whose kind of good in short-yardage situations and doubles as a fullback, and Taiwan Jones is...whatever he is. Not a running back. We'd be hosed.
Tyrod's been playing great. He shows great patience in the pocket, makes all the throws, protects the football, and can make things happen with his legs when the receivers fail to get open(which is often). I found the idea that Nathan Peterman could perform at his level dubious in the preseason. It's sheer insanity now. Shady and Tyrod are basically our offensive production. Every receiver except probably Matthews is utterly replaceable. Dawkins did well for Glenn, but Glenn is clearly superior, so if he gets hurt again, that won't be great, but survivable. Our interior depth seems a bit more suspect though.
Defensively, Tre White and Micah Hyde. Our depth in the secondary is shaky and both of them are actually good at their jobs. Hyde in particular has a knack for being in the right place at the right time.
Oh, and given what other teams are experiencing, losing Hauschka would blow. It's ridiculous how well he's been hitting FGs, especially from 50+ yards. Whatever cast-off we could scrounge up would likely be much less reliable, and this team isn't built for blowing out opponents.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It would be extremely Jets and extremely Bills for the Jets to win Thursday.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

*incredibly nasally voice*

Can't really justify the sammy trade when kelvin benjamin was available later on, bulldog

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

And with that trade, the wagon cracked an axle.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I hope so, he's Chuck Clay's replacement

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

They should just play him at TE until Clay comes back. He's got the size.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

It would be extremely Jets and extremely Bills for the Jets to win Thursday.

Yeah it would pretty much check out.

Usually it's an unexpected loss to the Dolphins that begins the post-hot start downward spiral, but I guess we meet them too late in the season this year.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

Yeah it would pretty much check out.

Usually it's an unexpected loss to the Dolphins that begins the post-hot start downward spiral, but I guess we meet them too late in the season this year.
It's okay. We could still blow our shot at a wild card by being inexplicably dominated by them.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

So Ronald Darby and a 7th for Jordan Matthews and Kelvin Benjamin...I'll take it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pasaluki posted:

Yup.

That man came to us in our darkest hour and made the suffering slightly more bearable.

mods please change my name to "YOU ALL ARE GOING TO SEE THE FURY OF THE POWER OF THE CALACTUS
I WILL BE DRINKING MY ==MOJITOS==="

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Tyrod was a weird kid. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21251222/the-great-debate-buffalo-bills-quarterback-tyrod-taylor

quote:

Taylor was single-minded as a kid. Whenever he finished his homework, he'd go into the garage -- the dungeon, his family called it -- to study VHS tapes of old NFL games, watching the film until he fell asleep. "A lot of the kids on my street said I was too busy to come out and play," he says.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Bills fans posted:

A middle-aged woman in a Bills sweatshirt starts to explain why she's optimistic about the team (then 3-2), with its unexpectedly strong defense, but she's interrupted by her friend. "Tyrod blows," he says. "He can't throw the ball far enough." He adds that Taylor is no better than draft bust EJ Manuel. "They're the same quarterback."

The woman sighs. She's partial to rookie backup Nathan Peterman, a pocket passer selected in the fifth round, and she wants Taylor to sit. "He hasn't done anything for us for the last couple of years," she says.

Bills fans are the worst.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nathan Peterman was a bigger loving anchor around James Conner's neck than Tom Savage was

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Two years ago it was that Taylor couldn't stay healthy. Last year it was that he couldn't throw over the middle. Not sure what next offseason's rationale will be. He can't throw into tight windows?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

fsif posted:

Two years ago it was that Taylor couldn't stay healthy. Last year it was that he couldn't throw over the middle. Not sure what next offseason's rationale will be. He can't throw into tight windows?

Think the article covered that already. This year it'll be "he scrambles too much and isn't developing right".

It's incredible how much some of the locals here dislike him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I used to think it was because he's black, but when people sincerely stanned for cardale over him it became clear that the drought has made bills fans retarded when it comes to qbs

Also everything else

• Locked thread