Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CannonFodder posted:

Would it have a chance to be the first ever 0-0 final score?

Because I'm looking at those offenses and yeesh

I assumed 3-3, but that would be even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

4-4 would also be remarkable.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Niners are going to beat the Giants

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
and then there were two

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
No more undefeated teams and we're down to just the Niners and Browns. Catch the excitement!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Niners I'll hold judgment on until the Giants game. If they lose that, I think they go the distance

Right now I maintain that an opponent actively tanking wouldn't be able to prevent them from beating the Browns. Gonna take a lot for 0-16 to not happen this year, and basically starts with putting anyone but Hue in charge at gametime

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I've got a feeling that the race for 0-16 was more or less unaffected by today.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

im going to laugh so hard if the loving browns manage to squeak out a single win last season, only for their grand plan of "get a bunch of free agents" to result in a 0 win season

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

NEED MORE MILK posted:

im going to laugh so hard if the loving browns manage to squeak out a single win last season, only for their grand plan of "get a bunch of free agents" to result in a 0 win season

The 2016 Browns were a 3-13 type of team that had some bad luck (missed game winning FG against Miami, maybe should have beaten the Landry Jones Steelers in Week 17). This year's team absolutely should have won last week against the Jets, but the missed two FGs, were 0/3 in the red zone and had 3 turnovers. Both teams are quite bad but last year they also had a lot of ill-timed injuries and bizarre penalties that killed momentum (remember Pryor's "taunting" penalty against the Ravens?) I think this team will bumble into a win or two down the line somehow.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Bigass Moth posted:

The 2016 Browns were a 3-13 type of team that had some bad luck (missed game winning FG against Miami, maybe should have beaten the Landry Jones Steelers in Week 17). This year's team absolutely should have won last week against the Jets, but the missed two FGs, were 0/3 in the red zone and had 3 turnovers. Both teams are quite bad but last year they also had a lot of ill-timed injuries and bizarre penalties that killed momentum (remember Pryor's "taunting" penalty against the Ravens?) I think this team will bumble into a win or two down the line somehow.

I think their most winnable game is next week with Tennessee at home. They have a killer schedule.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Che's Analytics Driven Week 6 Chase Commentary

GIANTS WIN, GIANTS WIN! Macadoo gave up play calling probably saving his job if he keeps his hands off the wheel. The run game looked like a thing that actually existed rather than the fucks the league gives about domestic violence. Destroying the Bronco's WR corps like the gods did to you previously did have something to do with this. Good job avoiding the poo poo dungeon. I envy you even though your coach is a semi-sentient collection of Brylcreem

loving 49ers I hate you and your coach. Somehow you keep competitive with a collection of scrappy dumpster fires assembled into a barely functioning transformer that manages to put up a good fight. Shanahan will figure out finishing games eventually and after the tank it looks like you'll have a solid well scouted and coached young roster full of promise. I remember that feeling. Your owner is still a moron though. Till he fucks it up we can't hang out.

gently caress analytics and by extension statistics they're an abomination on the world.We don't deserve Joe Thomas or Myles Garrett. There is only darkness. I can't drink anymore.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Che's Analytics Driven Week 6 Chase Commentary

GIANTS WIN, GIANTS WIN! Macadoo gave up play calling probably saving his job if he keeps his hands off the wheel. The run game looked like a thing that actually existed rather than the fucks the league gives about domestic violence. Destroying the Bronco's WR corps like the gods did to you previously did have something to do with this. Good job avoiding the poo poo dungeon. I envy you even though your coach is a semi-sentient collection of Brylcreem

loving 49ers I hate you and your coach. Somehow you keep competitive with a collection of scrappy dumpster fires assembled into a barely functioning transformer that manages to put up a good fight. Shanahan will figure out finishing games eventually and after the tank it looks like you'll have a solid well scouted and coached young roster full of promise. I remember that feeling. Your owner is still a moron though. Till he fucks it up we can't hang out.

gently caress analytics and by extension statistics they're an abomination on the world.We don't deserve Joe Thomas or Myles Garrett. There is only darkness. I can't drink anymore.

You forgot the elimination of the Chiefs from 16-0.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

iospace posted:

You forgot the elimination of the Chiefs from 16-0.

The Chiefs have won games this is not where they belong.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The Chiefs have won games this is not where they belong.

You have them in the op :colbert:

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
x-posting from N/V

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/920435531460333568

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nothing is stopping this train

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

i'm officially on the Brownwagon now

trip report: day 1

we're already circled the wagon train and our horses are all dead

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
You have died of dysentery.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Tickets for Browns games are as low as $5

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The 49ers somehow managed to both be dominated and not look like a completely garbage team but welp I guess their record speaks volumes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lote posted:

Tickets for Browns games are as low as $5

lmao

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Guaranteed you can get them for free if you just show up at game time.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
You know the '07 Dolphins were a mediocre team with really awful luck.

The '08 Lions were a bad team with awful luck.

The '17 Browns are just, bad bad bad bad.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
If they had a mediocre QB they would have 2-3 wins but they have the worst QB in the league by a country mile, plus terrible backups.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Plus a terrible o-line. Plus terrible receivers. Plus a terrible defense. Plus terrible front office.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

a very good dog on the sidelines, however

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

DJExile posted:

Plus a terrible o-line. Plus terrible receivers. Plus a terrible defense. Plus terrible front office.

With Garrett And McCourtney healthy there defense isnt bad. But they get no help when their offense goes out for 3 plays at a time.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

You know the '07 Dolphins were a mediocre team with really awful luck.

The '08 Lions were a bad team with awful luck.

The '17 Browns are just, bad bad bad bad.

The Lions that year were the accumulation of about seven years worth of absolutely awful draft picks, and that's discounting Calvin Johnson who played through that year. No wonder he wanted to retire early

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

DJExile posted:

Oline is fine. Defense is fine/good. Receivers, QB and play calling are garbage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

a very good dog on the sidelines, however

Swagger owns

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Dogs are so loyal. If Swagger was a cat he would have taken a poo poo on the 50 and left like Romo cat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Oline is fine. Defense is fine/good. Receivers, QB and play calling are garbage.

Dead last in takeaway/giveway, bottom third in total defense, bottom third passing defense, (solid run D), bottom third in points against, and a combination of bad QB signings and o-line play murdering even the average ones that has caused them to have 10 more starting QBs than they've had years of existence as a returned franchise. I get that there are a few highlights every once in a while, and there's a lot to be said for a poo poo offense making life worse for the D. That said, the team is 88-208, it has 4 wins in the last 3 seasons, they're extremely likely to go winless this year, and I have a hard time seeing why anyone would have faith in this franchise at all at this point.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

How come the oline is so bad, because they made 2 solid signings (Tretter, Zeitler) and Thomas before IR? That should be the basis for a good oline, right?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

OperaMouse posted:

How come the oline is so bad, because they made 2 solid signings (Tretter, Zeitler) and Thomas before IR? That should be the basis for a good oline, right?

Its actually not bad, when the QB can move around in the pocket and get rid of the ball in a decent amount of time.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

OperaMouse posted:

Kizer holds to ball forever taking coverage sacks because he's an indecisive bitch even against soft zone. The opposing front 7 + safety can play the run every down effectively wrecking any chance it would have.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Browns and 49ers don't play each other. If they bothgo 0-16, how is draft pick order decided in this scenario? Is it just strength of schedule or are there other factors involved?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The Browns and 49ers don't play each other. If they bothgo 0-16, how is draft pick order decided in this scenario? Is it just strength of schedule or are there other factors involved?

Reverse strength of schedule is the big one. As in whoever played the weaker schedule will get the higher pick. Because, you see, if you're shittier against shittier teams that means you're the worst. If that ties I think there might be a couple of more things but it doesn't go down to points scored or anything like that.

It is relatively common for draft order to come down to a coin flip, as in it happens every third or fourth year for someone. I don't think it's happened for #1 overall though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Strength of schedule is the only tiebreaker in draft order, if it's tied at that then they just go to the coin flip.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ah I wasn't sure about that, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Benne posted:

Strength of schedule is the only tiebreaker in draft order, if it's tied at that then they just go to the coin flip.

Yes and no. For two teams in different conferences, it's overall record -> strength of schedule (weaker schedule "wins") -> coin flip.

If the two teams are in the same division, divisional tiebreakers are used after SoS. If they're in the same conference, conference tiebreakers are used.

Division has 11 tiebreakers, conference has 10, with several criteria overlaping.

(source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs#Breaking_ties)

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 31, 2017

• Locked thread