Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Wegirn - Klomin, Tropical Archipelago, Marketplace

“Folau” The woman spoke, clutching her cane. “That is my name. You have strong song magic, Wegirn. And a foreign tongue. How did you come by our Islands?”

"How I come by your islands?" he asks, looking down thoughtfully, "I had a faint hope my name would be known to you, but it is unsurprising. I am far more foreign than you might have imagined. I do not know your word for the disaster that caused you to flee to these islands, but I was born and lived before it. I was a traveler, skald and mercenary on occasion. I journeyed the width and breadth of the world, councilor to kings, princes and peasants alike. But then the end came. I did hear that some fled across the sea, trying to find some sort of safe haven. Your ancestors, perhaps? For my part, there was a small mountain village whose people had always treated me kindly, even when I was nothing but a minstrel of little skill and less sense..."

As he speaks, memories begin to play out in front of the small crowd of people. A sun hung low in the sky, giving a cold and alien light. Wegirn stands at the mouth of a valley, as what appears to be a wave of flames rolls across the plains. There is an eerie quiet, as though the world itself had stopped, that is only shattered when the skald talks a breath, and begins to scream his defiance to the universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVBCE3gaNxc&t=66s

The song echoed off the mountain and carried across the plains. Artifacts of power and gifts of magic glowed brightly, and for a while it seemed like the fire might be held at bay. But the skald began to lose strength holding back the tide, which pressed in from all sides, filling the air with a crackling roar that only grew louder as his voice faded. The vision ends with Wegirn on his knees, the sound of the oncoming inferno filling his ears, and the world went black... But somehow the sounds of the flame gave way to the sounds of crashing waves.

"I don't know what saved me. Perhaps one of my gifts? A passing divinity of great power? All I know is that when I woke here, I knew that I had to help you. Your people's stories are almost forgotten - I would see them preserved. I would see your people take the knowledge of old and use it to venture forth into the world, and see what exists now. Will you help me?"

+2 Skald to try and convince Folau/empower her to be the founding mortal of what will become something of a Bardic Order. Preserve wisdom, carry news, go off adventuring and come back with new tales to entertain and instruct, that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Ur Tau Mica - Self, Fertile Plains

“Yes.”

Good; the human seemed to be calming down a little. “I am Ur Tau Mica.” said the replica. “And you shall be… under my protection.”

From up high Ur Tau could see the cloud roaming the ground. Wind seemed to scare the human for some reason, and it wouldn’t do for the human to see that roaming cloud. Between where the cloud was and where Ur Tau stood he jutted large peak to divert the cloud. It took jutting a limb out from where other elementals were sleeping, but they were young and too small to fight back. Besides, they could help in blocking the cloud.

Ur Tau will try to create a mountain to block the dust cloud in the distance. Hopefully without panicking the boy. [+2 Mountain] should be going into this action.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 10, 2017

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Diona- Salina, The Great Desert

The surrounding groups begin to enter a more compassionate groove as your power takes effect. Those who had been lost in their own revelry begin to show more awareness and compassion for their fellow partygoers. The leader of the Skull-crats looks around then back to you. “We really don’t want more people to die. The desert is a harsh, merciless land and we work to prevent any deaths.” She looks at the crowd again. “How did you do that?”

You got a large segment of the population being less selfish but still having a good time. The Skull-crats have noted you did something.

Airagh - Dilapidated Shrine, Swamplands

The transgressors feet become roots, their legs and torsos trunks, and their heads and arms branches and crowns of small trees. They absorb the poisons around them, from the air and the soil and groundwater. They writhe in agony for weeks until the poison eventually overtakes them and they wither and die. Their poisons die with them, but much remains and it seems the river and rain bring more. Even those cleansed are beginning to look sickly once again, though your Priestesses remain healthy for now.

Roll too low. I couldn’t really see the use of Maternity here. They ded.

Sister Jessica - Gnoll Settlement(Gnerk), Temperate Forest | 1 MP

You learn in short order that the Red-Eyes deal with a cursed tree deep in the forest. It grants them supernatural powers. Most Gnolls here did not follow with them, but recent brushes with the humans had divided the settlement between those that wish to integrate with the human civilization and those that wish to be left alone. The Red-Eyes were recruiting from the latter faction, but with the former’s professed god here, well, there were many fresh converts before the dawn. Those of able body and familiar with the wood take you to the edge of the Demonwood. You can sense the individual threads of the demon’s spirit as well as the main mass within. It seems there are many shards of it within this woodland, free of its prison.

And here is a natural 12. The dice, man. Anyway you get converts plus what you wanted on the action and additional info.

Hilary - Golden Sanctum, Strange Mountain, Northern Mountains

What was once an empty storeroom is quickly filling with books, books, books! The Sanctum has all the trappings of a proper library, filled with books from Hilary’s own memory. The knowledge of old lives again! ShinyStudy is both humbled and empowered by the experience within the Sanctum and sings your praise. He places the Book of Flight
Upon a pedestal and leaves to speak with his people.

They are incredulous at first, but are soon convinced of ShinyStudy’s favor from this being. ShinyStudy imparts your tale to them and they listen with rapt attention.

High Priest and a Temple to boot. Was a high roll. They know your bio.

Corinthian - The Docks - Ruined Metropolis

One sputtered. “Last known ship-engine was stolen by civilians ERROR Years ago. Destination unknown. The central power grid has been dis-dis-disconnected by sabotage. No reply regarding work order.” It paused for a moment. “Would you like to survey the damage, Sir?”

It takes you to a room with wires and conduits branching out. Several of the conduits seem damaged by an explosion and the building itself has taken fire damage. Still, whoever built this stuff obviously built them to last.

Low roll, so lets say you’re looking in the wrong place. The power source itself is a strange mix of the arcane and the technological resulting in a perpetual motion machine. That was stopped by force.

Arianrhod - Lost Woods, Temperate Forest

From the Astral Plane you can see the wraiths easily and from a distance. Unfortunately, they can see you as well. Fortunately for you they seem to have a limited range. A wisp of essence seems to tie each of them to strange glowing stones all around the wood. Your quarry seems to have lucked out in that his location is out of the range of the nearby haints, but he is also trapped by them. A strange figure notices you. It is covered in pelts and rags and hides behind a colorful mask. It does a little dance and runs deeper into the forest.

Murmur - Corneria, Northern Plains

The Woodsman Pierce continues watching the tracks as the sound of wings beat overhead. He draws his bow and fires an arrow at whatever creature could make that much noise.

A flying drake crashes down. A lucky shot went into its eye. As it thrashes in pain Pierce runs up and plunges his sword into its heart. It kicks him, throwing him aside by many feet, thrashes a few seconds more and lays still. Cut and bruised but with no serious injury Pierce cuts off its head. Proof of his kill. The Castle ought to pay handsomely and maybe actually do something about the monsters with proof.

Later:

Pierce and the three have been introduced. He has been tasked with guiding the party deep into the woods and investigate the threat. To end it if possible, and report back if not.

It is provisioning time.

Mortal Crits. The four are together. They ought to be heading out soon.

Vamer - Lich’s Lair, Island Black

Landers accepts. It becomes evident that the reversal will take some time, but is happening. His muscle seems to be starting to regrow. A bat on the ceiling flutters down and turns into a vampire. “Much power you have, Vamer. I had thought to try and take it from you but I now see that would have been my end.” Count Herman bows his head. “But perhaps I can convince you to share it.” His eyes glimmer as he attempts to use his glammer abilities on you.

The haters have begun to arrive.

Starke - Klibariko, Bluffs

Jax seemed confused. “But… the Champion uses the Axe to fight the Bird. It has been this way for generations. The Bird will try to take Adzea, the Maiden. If I fail to stop it I must travel to the Mountains to rescue her from its lair.” He seems dejected by the thought of giving up the Axe.

In town they lose their minds to see that Starke has come to visit them. Nearly all of them fawn over you, and Jax to a lesser extent. There is a celebration, but first Jax attempts to pull the Axe from a surprisingly life-like statue of you’s hands. It fails to give at first, then Jax pulls it so easily he nearly falls over.

“It...wants to talk to you.”

Garland Grey - Besieged Big’Un Settlement, Badlands

Garland orders the gate opened as a concerted barrage of fire hammers at his shield. It wavers and then reasserts itself. Another few hits like that and it will break. Once the gates open the force of the army overwhelms him. So very many, and the front lines all Big’Uns with glazed, angry looks in their eyes. It is only the sight of a human present in the settlement that gives them pause.

Ona speaks. “I can fight, but it would be the last thing I do. Channeling my energy has extended my life. I expected to have lost it soon anyway.” She shook her head at the Big’Un Berzerkers outside. “Mind-washed. Our arts can break the control, but I could never free more than a dozen without need of rest.”

It is truely a huge army. Thousands of troops. Snakeeyes as well. The Shield has two or three good strikes left.

Folau smiled. “So keep on what I do with a sponsor? Why certainly.” She motions to her small assortment of things on her blanket. “Allow me to pack and we can be on our way. What are your ideas for prospective students?”

She is down. And has your blessing.

The ground rises in the distance. The quakes can be felt from here. In the end it is more of a hill than a true mountain. The Dust Cloud simply goes around it, though. It circles it once and then continues. It almost seems more...careful?

The boy pipes up. “I took the air bandits’ wind stone. They can use ‘em to control their cyclones. If we don’t give them what they want they wreck up our towns. But you are a Rock Man! You could fight them somehow, right?”

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Airagh

A disappointing outcome. Short-lived trees were not nearly so clear a message. So, the river and the rains, it seemed. Time for an exploratory trip upstream, to see from whence this poison came. Upstream, against the current, feeling for the pollution, sensing where it was stronger, swift as the wind to its source.

+0, just following the toxins in the river to source and then seeing what to do about it.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcIZtREgbsE

As they approached the edge of the forest, Jessica raised a hand and called her company to a halt. She walked a few paces ahead and turned to face them, solemn in her bearing.

"My brothers and sisters. I thank you for your fellowship. We do good works this day and my blessing is upon you for your faith and courage." She knelt down and clasped her hands above her head, eyes closed in prayer as she gave thanks to the heavens. She was a goddess, yes, but she was no supreme being. Her new life was granted to her from above, and gratitude was owed. After a few moments, she opened her eyes again and beckoned her followers forward.

"A blade, please." At its offering, she took it in her left hand and gripped the blade in her right, and wrenched the knife back. She bit back any cry of pain and set the knife aside. "Kneel, brothers and sisters. Drink of my blood and be heartened. My power will guard you against your foes, and none shall stand against the righteous!" She went from gnoll to gnoll, dripping her blood into their mouths. To each, she offered a warm caress and words of encouragement and trust. She knew them hardly at all, yet she loved each and every one for the faith they put into her.

Once the last of them had been blessed, she took her place before them and knelt once again. "I give you my word, with my blood as a symbol of this covenant. None will be abandoned. None will be left in pain or sickness that I can prevent, so long as we stand side by side in common cause. Now come. Let us save your brethren from their folly and make these woods clean once more!"

Healing +2 to bless her followers with the gift of rapid healing. Any blow that is not immediately fatal will heal incredibly quickly, and they will run no risk of infection. The scars will remain - these are a martial people, after all. There is honor to be found in scars won in service to a good cause. Jessica knows this perhaps better than anyone else.

Once their communion has finished, Jessica will lead them into the woods and begin the hunt. The knife she will tuck into a boot. She has utmost faith in her followers, but she is not a fool to go wholly unarmed.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

He looks around at the small crowd of would-be adventurers, "Well, we have a dozen brave souls here that seem interested. However first let us gather a crop of teachers. Are there others like you carrying wisdom from the past on this island? If so let us go meet them. If not... We will need a place to call home for our new guild, and of course a shipwright. Someone who can be convinced to help build a ship for an adventure, to show the people here that there are things worth seeing in the world."

I'll be doing a flat roll +0 I guess to seek out a home for this order. Ideally it would be on the coast so we can eventually build boats there. Also looking for shipwrights as a secondary goal right now.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

The city of Corneria was awash with gossip. Some said that Penny was engaged to the crown prince, some said that Pierce had singlehandedly slain a dozen drakes -certainly the head of one was on display for all to see in the town square. Everyone knew that these two along with a Wizard and a shadowy figure known only as whisper were about to embark upon an adventure.

Being a legend had advantages, Penny was able to wander the town easily, in all the stories she was a giant of a woman with such beauty that the crown prince was lovestruck by her. In truth she hadn't met him, a clerk had arranged her stay and a stipend in case she needed anything. Nobody mistook her for PENNY, she was just a somewhat plain Penny, a country girl who was bewildered by the bright lights and endless complexities of the city.

On the day before she was to leave town she was listening to a storyteller entertaining children with tales of great deeds to be done, evils to be fought and treasures to be won. She had come to see him before, there was something in his manner that reminded her of her grandfather and the stories she had heard upon his knee. When he reached the end of his tale and the last straggling child had left to attend their chores he motioned for her to come over to him.

"My eyes aren't what they once were, but I know you for who you are. Last night I had the strangest dream, there was a cloud of stars that told me you were about to embark upon an adventure and when I awoke I had these clutched to my chest".

The old man showed her two stones, one red and the other black as night both seemed to sparkle as if stars had somehow become trapped within them. The first stone, will bring you luck upon your journey the second will bring your protector's attention. When I awoke I knew you would come again today, with that he pushed the stones into her hands. Penny didn't know what to say, she thanked the old man and put one in each pocket.

The next day the four of them rode out of Corneria, the city folk had gathered to cheer them onwards. It was not every day that you saw [b[famous[/b] heroes setting out upon an adventure. They made an impressive if eclectic party. Pierce took the lead, the ranger was lithe and confident. Penny followed him, her green eyes complimented by armor made from the scales of the Fallcrest Drake. Whisper, always the mystery came next a cowl covering her face and loose clothing that could conceal anything. The Wizard Ramfell came last, his robes shimmering and a quickdraw holster on his hip with wand ready.

Thus Penny gathered her party before venturing forth, a party of heroes was forged and regardless of the outcome their tales would live on.

I'm making a magic item, the two stones is just fluff because I liked the picture. I will make a +0 divine roll to make a fairly basic magic item. This is a +1 lucky stone for Penny, it also has a secondary feature which makes it possible that in a crisis she can call my attention to her. Given that both Penny and Pierce managed to one shot drakes they are going to be famous with or without me. I'm now going to move on to someone else. Either you can prompt me to somewhere\someone\something or I can just make up my next starting point after the update.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hilary - Strange Mountain, Northern Mountains

To know and to be known. This was not the first time Hilary had connected with a people but it felt... different. Perhaps because they weren't human, perhaps because they had never had a God, perhaps because they had such a limited language. But despite that he felt moved by their earnestness. As he blessed Shinystudy and sent him to teach the people he felt a fresh drive to see to their wellbeing. Once more he set out to investigate his facility. To see about light, warmth, running water and the general operation of the place so that they could treat less as a convenient cave and more like a home.

---

Shinystudy left the Golden Sanctum elevated, inspired and a little confused. Though the touch of the God he'd felt his understanding, that was already considerable amongst the people, reach new heights. He was hungry to tear into those books in the library and dive into his own journey of discovery. But Hilary had charged him with teaching the people. With raising up librarian priests, scribes and authors. However, his suggested methods were learning by rote, drilling, grammar, recitation. It was hard to imagine his brothers and sisters taking well to such a stiff, formal course of education. Despite his reservations he felt his God's firm conviction that such was the proper way to learn. Thus he had been charged and thus he would endeavour. Maybe a few would take to it...?

Hilary is going to explore the facility. Hopefully if there are any read/write drives he can read them. If that's stretching it then hopefully he can find some user manuals saved for when the computers don't start up properly.

Written Word +2

Shinystudy will start trying to educate the crow people. However since Hilary is an old fashioned sort he hasn't really considered the unique pedagogical needs of his birds. However Shinystudy will try and use the "Book of Flight", his High Priestly Powers, and the Golden Sanctum library to smooth the bumps.

Obstinate -2

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Damnnation. Garland did not expect this poor twist of fate. He thought quickly. He might not be able to permanently sever Francis' control over his forces but he would try. The disruption over being suddenly freed might give Garland the opening to get his people out.

He pushed one thought out to try and disrupt the absolute control over these thralls:
:siren: <" BE FREE"> :siren:

And Garland pushed.

Using PSI [+2] to free the army/thralls as far and as hard as Garland can push it In all directions. Temporarily or permanently

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke held out his hand, "Very well, give it here."

quote:

Axe: Starke! You have returned!

Starke:: "Indeed I have, it seems killing the Beast brought me to the attention of the cosmos and I have become more than merely mortal."

Axe: "Just as I became more than a mere axe"

Starke:: "How long has it been since the night I struck down the Beast?"

Axe: "...many generations. Every time the beast takes a new form and attacks again. The time is soon upon us if a hero has risen again."

Starke:: "It survived?" Starke seems shocked, he still recalls watching the monster bleed out from the many wounds of their final confrontation.

Axe: "It returned, far weaker than when we faced it. Smashing the crystals cost it much power but it managed to form again. The maiden calls it manifesting."

Starke:: "Who is this Maiden?"

Axe: "Like the Hero there is a Maiden every generation. Sometimes the Maiden is is a Sir and sometimes the Hero is a Heroine but they possess great power. The Enemy covets this power."

Axe: (When the beast lost power during the battle some of it spread to these people. The beast wants to take it back to try and mount that power as it was trying to before)

Axe: "When we fell your body turned to stone. Or stone took the place of your body. But I remained to help the Hero fight the Beast every time.

Starke:: "It would appear we need to finish what we started once and for all. Slay the Beast for good."

Axe: "That has been the prophecy. Your return to end the cycle."

Starke:: "I assume you know how to find the Beast?"

Axe: "It will come."

Starke:: "I suppose we should prepare in the meantime. If I was able to mostly slay the beast as a mortal, as a God finishing a diminished version off should be very doable."

Axe: "So they hope. A Hero and the divine Starke to end the beast and purge the poisonlands."

Starke:: "So what do you know of this Jax. I was considering having him be my first priest."

Axe: "He is the Hero this cycle."

Starke:: "I have already granted him some power, perhaps I should try and replace the Beast's power within him with my own."

Axe: "It was never the Beasts. It was stolen before. We freed it. The beast needs its power, the maiden's power, and the Hero's power to become a Power again."

Axe: "Even my power is somehow tied in with theirs."

Starke:: "Interesting. Well, when we slay the beast, I may be able to take its remaining power for my own then."

Axe: "Maybe. None have returned from seeking its lair, though. It will run as a coward will if the Hero begins to best it."

Starke:: "Then we will hurt it, and track it, and then kill it. In the meantime, let us prepare."

Starke returned the Axe to Jax, then spoke for the first time in minutes. "I have already given you the beginning of my gift, but before I grant you more there is something you must understand. I have transcended mortality, the cosmos has made me divine. In you, what I desire is not an apprentice or a student, but a priest. Are you willing and prepared to take up this role?

Asking Jax if he's ready to become a Starke's first priest.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 15, 2017

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Arianrhod - Inside the Lost Woods

That was interesting. Either that other astral being was the culprit behind the haint infestation, or she probably at least knew something about it. Still, she had promised to find this victim and that was her first priority. Knowing the haints were tethered to the ground was a huge help, at the very least it means you could outrun any one or three, hopefully.

Arianrhod allows her concentration to lapse and feels herself being pulled back, back across the astral realm to her corporeal form. Waking up with a throbbing headache and an awful taste in her mouth, she rises to her feet and prepared to put her newfound knowledge to rescuing this man. She nibbles a little more of the mushroom, this time a smaller dose. Her eyes roll back in her head and then resume their normal place as she attempts to expand her mind.:lsd:

Going back to my body and trying to activate Astral Vision using [Druidism+2] to navigate the haint infestation and rescue the guy.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 12, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Diona grinned at the question.

"What did I do? I clapped my hands, weren't you paying attention haha!" her laughter was a bright, good-natured and pleasant sounding thing, "But that's not the answer you wanted is it? Sure, I can bite, it's your party after all. See, I am Diona, Goddess of Festivals, and I used some of my God Power to make your party a bit more fun by the way of making there be less corpses hopefully", she grinned, then scratched her chin a bit, "And to be honest? It's a bit unfair I think that you guys can't even contribute. You know, I'm pretty sure I could like, whip up some sorts of party servitor spirits to help you out? Wouldn't that be nice yeah? Let's try it out."

"Maybe then I will even be cool enough to be taken to your leader, huh?", she added, with just the slightest bit of friendly ribbing smarm in her voice without coming across as mocking.

And then she once again clapped her hands.

Diona reveals her identity because she does not really feel like hiding it. Festivity [+2] to populate the festival with servitor spirits powered by the revelry that keep care of people and fill their drinks and what have you as long as people are having a good time. If the party dies down, they too go dormant until it begins anew.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

A dry, rattling laugh escapes from Vamer's lips. "Did you expect that to work? You'd of had little chance of it before I changed. It was no mere ritual or undertaking I took. I have ascended to godhood, true godhood and not some pretentious state like some have before. You can kneel in service like the others who seek to usurp me will, or face true death." He gives Landers a pointed look.

Vamer just laughs and shrugs it off. The vampire can kneel and swear service or face Landers.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!

"Yes! YES! I wish to "survey the damage", that's all I've ever wanted. Take me to the damage One! ... Goddamit!"

A quick stroll brought Corinthian and One to a room ruined by fire, full of conduits and electrical machinery. Corinthian stared about the room in wonder.

"You know, this is ... This is actually quite advanced. Hmmm .... Yes. Some might even call it very advanced. This is some sort of perpetual motion engine." He petted a couple of the machine parts, a far away look in his eye. "One. Why do you have a perpetual motion engine?"

This Engine's Function Is To Provide Electrical Power For All Purposes Necessary For Optimal Function Of The Facility."

"Don't you sass me One! 'Our Perpetual Motion Engine is for powering the facility, master.' - I know that! I didn't think you were using it back cupcakes! I want to know- You know what? .... I don't care anymore. Get out of my sight One. Go up to shore, fill up a bucket with salt water from the ocean, wait twenty minutes and then bring the bucket of salt water down here to me. Do you think you can do that One? It's a pretty simple job, right? And while your doing that i'll just stay down here and, oh I don't know, FIX YOUR GODDAMN PERPETUAL MOTION ENGINE!! ... No big deal or anything. Its all totally cool. Yeah, I think we split up responsibilities on this perfect. You know, each to the best of their abilities."

... "Go away One."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corinthian is taking another shot at using Artifacture [+2] to restore the docks central power to optimal levels by repairing their broken engine. He has also ordered One to go and fetch a pail of water.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

The mountain was perturbed. The dust cloud clearly didn’t get that it wasn’t the only being in this land. As Ur Tau Mica watched this ‘wind bandit’ drift closer and closer, he prepared a more potent message. He tore into the ground below. Pulled at the earth from beneath, but making sure that the surface didn’t tear; not yet. He could feel the other earth elementals pushing against him for disturbing their rest, but it did them little good. The ground rumbled from his attempts but the surface stayed untorn. Then Ur Tau waited before springing his trap on the wind bandit.

The replica slowly smacked its arms against the ground as if to signal to the human of his trap. And the ground split open...

Ur Tau will attempt to trap this stubborn wind bandit in a sinkhole. Or if that doesn't work, spook him into leaving. [+2 Mountain] I think should go into laying him down..

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
R5
Airagh - ???, Very Lost

Airagh travels far, the waters turning to poison muck. The air laden with chemicals. Nothing that can bear life could live this close to the Source and tell the tale. Even for a god this place is disgusting. More travels, upriver and upwind. Finally it appears over a hilltop.

Shiny metal… things flit back and forth between the buildings. Seemingly carrying varying loads of cargo. You cannot see any living beings outside the structures.

The picture is not intended to be an exact representation, just an idea. Please include your location in your header. You run games I shouldn’t have to tell you.

They trust that your healing gift is working. Nobody actually wants to test it. Your hunting party tracks back to the edge of the Demonwood and enters. The area within feels hostile and unclean. The air itself is unwholesome. There is an evil lurking here, the main host of which is some ways off in the center…

Suddenly arrows fly from the ill-looking brush. An Ambush! Several of your group drop to the ground groaning. One such arrow hits you. It hurts, tainted with demonic power. You pull it out and heal the wound instantly, but the sting and scar of it remain.

The healing works as a bonus feat, they can do it once a day. Like a cure light wounds(self). Ya’ll also got ambushed.

There seemed no suitable place on the island, and this was an island of trade. Others came here to trade. As such those that lived here did not have need for building ships. Folau offered a suggestion. “Another Island has the tools to build the ship you seek. Maybe it could be the home and school you seek?”

She is referring to the boat. You didn’t get a successful roll but enough to toss a suggestion your way.

All over potential villains scheme and plot.

-A King’s younger brother desires the Throne.

-A leper wishes a plague upon those who spit on him.

-A young witch channels her power and attempts to make contact with dark forces.

Penny had the item. Time would tell. Three baddie ideas. Or make your own.

Much of the computer system is corrupted or just programs to operate various parts of the facility. The logs of various humans depict the place as an old military installation. It was supposed to be a fallback position in case of a prolonged war against DATA CORRUPT. The logs end after a certain date, but no mention of the fate of the facility or its inhabitants is mentioned.

Shinystudy does not have much success on his first day of instruction. He is enthusiastic but has no real practice at teaching.

You get access to low-level systems. Doors, food dispensers, lights, water, etc. A bit of info about the facility.

”BE FREE” The feedback from so many Big’Uns at once amplifies your psychic field. Another wave, weaker but still potent, more than doubles your own primary field. Within the field, apart from you but within your awareness, the Big’Un minds mingle. The lost and those who have fought for them all these long years reuniting. A moment of confusion, sorrow, happiness…

And then Rage. Brilliant, pure, and blinding. When it subsides what remains of the army is in full retreat with the freed Big’Uns, almost feral in their anger, chase after them. Ona stumbles to the ground, weakened by the experience.

You had a decent success. Then I rolled for the half-giants. 20. Years or decades of repressed anger and resentment boil over in an instant.

“Gladly, Starke.” He bows his head. “But first we must deal with whatever form the beast takes this time. With you here we should be able to end this for good.”

Almost as if on cue a giant green flaming bird begins to circle the village.

A girl in white robes walks over, frightened. Her eyes roll back in her head. A oracle. She stares through you. “You will not kill the beast. You will not kill the master.” She faints.

I feel okay with not giving much since I advanced you so far with a convo instead.

Avoiding the haints is an easy business with the sight enabled. It is only once you reach the trapped man do you realize you share his predicament. One can enter this particular group of haints, but the way they congregate one cannot get past them without suffering their life-draining touch.

Eh, half credit on the roll. The man is unconscious, pants soiled, but doesn’t look like they drained him much.

They look to the new servants, dozens of them, magical sprites just serving food and beverages. Caring for those who have partied a bit too hard. They nod and take you to their camp as the sun sets. Over the dunes a fair distance a bunch of ringed depressions in the dirt writhe as persons in varying states of decay rise. Your companions are revealed in the dark to be actually bone-white skeletons.

“So. The party is actually cursed. We died here, but the legend of the party endures. If any of them die here, they rise to party after nightfall. The originals, us, are okay. We can even suffer the daylight. The new ones, though, are less friendly to the living and remember even less over time. If we are lucky they don’t even realize at first and are found the next morning. So we send off revelers and remove the dead before nightfall.”

Yay party sprites. Also they confide a dark and terrible secret to you.

The Vampire turns and runs a sword through Landers’ blackened heart. It isn’t enough to kill him but it certainly sets him back a moment. The Vampire is rushing at Kled who, surprised and new at this, is struggling to summon a magical defense.

The Vampire is going after your servants. Kidnap Kled? Turn him? Kill him? Don’t know!

Finding replacement parts was nigh impossible. Fortunately your powers of artifacture were working at nearly peak efficiency and you could create the tools and materials you needed at will. The only thing missing as your power wanes is salt water to fill the middle shell of the geo-magical orrey-gyro.

One comes up the way driving a fork truck with several barrels of water on it. “Is this amount sufficient for your needs, Commander?”

You start it, it hums, poo poo starts shorting out everywhere. What doesn’t is powered nicely.

The ground collapses underneath the dust cloud and once everything is settled it is no longer visible on the horizon.

You feel several things drop into the hole, though. They have yet to get up but you can feel breathing.

Success

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Jessica's heart ached in sympathy as she watched the arrows take the wind out of several of her companions. Only the sharp stab of pain as an arrow lanced into her thigh managed to snap her back into the moment. She stumbled but managed to catch her balance before she collapsed, and wrenched the barbed shaft from her skin. There was a brief flash of red in her vision before she quelled her anger. It was the dark taint of this place forcing her enemy's hands. It was her duty to save them from it if she could, not have them slain in a fit of pique.

She turned towards the detritus where the ambush had been sprung and made a curt chopping motion with her hand. She followed up with a silent gesture for her followers to fall back with the wounded, and circle around behind the archers. They knew she wanted their foes alive if possible but this was no time to make unreasonable demands. They would act as they saw best and she would trust them to it.

Jessica herself raised her arms to her sides and began to walk forward. "Hold your fire, I beg you! I mean you no harm. My name is Jessica, and I wish only to treat with your leader. Can there be a peace?"

Martyr -2 as Jessica acts as a distraction and attempts to parley. She does not expect any better reaction than she got back in Gnerk from the demon-touched gnoll woman, but she has hope in her heart. If they decide she must die, she will simply trust her nascent divinity will preserve her long enough for her warriors to counter-ambush them.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Wegirn - Klomin, Tropical Archipelago, Pier

"Well then, we will make for that island then. While we are on the way, you can tell me everything you know about what has happened in the world since last I walked it, and we can get a measure of our potential students here."

Wegirn leads his little troupe to a pier as soon as everyone is packed and ready, so that they might find a suitable passage to the island of shipwrights, wherever it may be. A bit of haggling would certainly see them on board, hopefully. After all, a group of adventurous young men and one of the wisest of the whole island (and a god a strange new voice in his mind stated) would be sure to benefit the journey rather than hinder it!

I'll use Skald +2 to show off my knowledge of old sailing stories and general knowledge of being on boats, both to try and sign us up on a vessel that way and hopefully assist in the journey there.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Airagh - ???, The place from which the pollution comes, the mysterious settlement producing all manner of toxic foulness and effluvium, the execrable mark upon all that lives and grows.

Big, perhaps bigger than she had hoped, but not necessarily too big to be dealt with. Such an abundance, a neverending stream of vile corruption! It would take a voracious appetite indeed to match it, perhaps to quell it. There was, to her mind, little hope in getting those here to change their ways, but it was the symptom that needed treating here, rather than poking around in the underlying cause.

So, she turned her particular powers inwards, shaping new life and fostering the growth of a new spirit entity. One that hungered for all this disgusting pollution, one that would never truly be satisfied, that sought to consume every ounce, every particle, every drop of toxic byproduct this place could produce and then some. Let it process the foulness into a harmless form and thrive upon doing so, an undying spirit set to be the guardian and watcher of this place, doing no harm to it, but consuming all that it discards into the environment.

This would be painful for her...

Using Maternity +2 to gestate and birth a spirit entity with a voracious appetite for all this pollution, which will thrive on it, leave the source unharmed, and excretes it harmlessly, scoured of its toxic sting or corruptive taint.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Careful, careful, almost there. Arianrhod carefully navigates the haint taint. She arrives to find the man apparently only half dead. Dropping to one knee, she closes her eyes and murmurs, the wardress on her back begins to glow, and a ward of protection materializes on her forehead. Hopefully it was potent enough to last against so many of these creatures.

Thus (hopefully) protected, she heads into the swarm to save this man's life.

[Druidism+2] to temporarily ward myself while I rescue the guy.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 18, 2017

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

As the freed Big'Uns chased the army into the distance, Garland helped Ona to her feet. "Come, we must hide. Are there any caves or a safe place to take our people?" The Big'Uns from the settlement were all about at least. "Too bad those freed could not stay with us, but I understand their fury. Perhaps, in time they will make their way to us." Or be re-captured by fancies, forced into bondage again. Garland shuddered. How terrible.

Taking Ona and the Big'Uns to safety and into hiding.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Well, he gave the vampire a chance. If the others are like this or worse, maybe an example should be made to cow them.

"If you will not kneel, then so be it." he says.

Vamer waves his hand at the vampire and unleashes his power.

Decaying+2 out his brain and back of head and keeping it like that. With no mind he will be a mindless undead and serve as an undead puppet to show the others who will arrive what it means to cross him.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

"Huh", Diona stated, with a hand on her hip, "That sure is some secret haha!"

"I am a bit intrigued though about this whole skeleton party thing. I'd like to check it out!"

"And no need to be worried about my safety", she added with a wink, "I'm positive I'll be received just fine."

Diona checks out SKELETON PARTY! As a Goddess of Festivity and Festivals and Other Such Merrymaking, her divine power ought to have enough reach to have her be well received even though she's not a skeleton. So that's either a +0 or Festivity [+2] move, am not certain how trivial it would be for her.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Murmur flitted out through the web of interconnected consciousness that made up the world, from all around the individuals that desired to become something more cried out to it. There was a balance to things, and it was time to seek out those who would become infamous. Three such minds caught it's attention. Murmur paused to assess them

The first was Avery, the Crown Prince of Corneria
Heroes, really? That was a close call. Just as his plans were close to fruition not one but two heroes slew monsters from the depths of the forest and came to his city! If they had stuck around any longer that could have gotten out of hand. The worst thing was you couldn't quietly kill a hero, the peasant folk wanted noble deeds and tragic deaths. Hopefully whatever was stirring in the forest would eat them all and that would be the end of it. Avery almost had to meet with that filthy commoner. He shuddered, feeling a mental flutter at the thought.

Murmur then jumped to Varkon, the Pestilent Begger
Varkon was a spiteful man. It seemed reasonable to him as the world was a spiteful place, especially if you were a leper. In the beginning it had seemed almost like a blessing. Begging on the streets was hard. When the disease set in he saw what he thought was compassion in the eyes of strangers and got more coin than he had ever gotten when he was healthy. As the symptoms got worse he was shunned, not only by those who passed him on the streets of Corneria but also by the beggers and thieves he had thought of as family. As he wiped the spit from his face for the fifth time today he started wishing that those who spat upon him knew true suffering as he did. A plague upon them!. He was weary now, time to crawl back to his hovel, his head was buzzing with anger.

And lastly Ethyl, The (attempting to be) Wicked Witch
Calling on the powers of darkness was all well and good, however prices were steep and just like most fifteen year old girls Ethyl had better things to spend her money on such as new clothes or the turquoise and silver amulet that she had been eyeing in the market. After reading countless grimoires she was also unsure of which dark forces she wanted to call upon. Apparently there were some spotty connection issues getting to many of the nether realms, one book referred to it as only having 2 bars. Ethyl wondered what the bars were made of.

It was pretty clear that she didn't want to try and summon a greater demon only to get put on summon waiting, or transferred to one of the outsourced realms. Rumor had it that some of the underealms were using faerie to answer their summons. This was terrible, mostly because chaotic bureaucracy of that magnitude was only possible when you had immortal beings that were both obsessive about the correct protocol and innately capricious. Finally she settled for a generically summoning a 'great power' and within her ritual specified that it must be both available and nearby.

Surrounded by candles and her Aunt's grimoires Ethyl called upon the forces of darkness. Despite the sacrifice of her cat Mittens nothing appeared within the warded circle, Ethyl started to feel a change in her witchcraft though. She was more powerful, the boost however was temporary. She knew the power that had been granted to her was in order to prove herself, whatever force had granted her a boon required a dark deed in order to sate it's eternal hunger.

Okay I'm going with Ethyl first, she is getting a buff to her witchcraft. Any deeds worthy of infamy she will give her a power boost to her mortal witchcraft, the more infamous the more powerful she gets. +2 Infamy roll if she fades into obscurity the powers will wane. She thinks she's made a dark pact and has to prove herself in order to gain power

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke looks up at the bird circling overhead. "It seems we'll have to start earlier than expected." He turn to Jax, "Get ready for when that thing comes down, I'm going to try something."

Setting his stance, he crouches down building tension and then with an explosive push of his legs launches himself into the air at the Beast, attempting to tear it down from the sky.

Gonna use my Strength[+2] to hulk-leap try and grapple the Beast down to earth.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!

"Alright One. I need you to listen very carefully. Pick up that barrel of water."

One obliged and lifted the barrel, turning again to face Corinthian who stood silhouetted by huge arcs of electrical power bursting behind him. The gigantic machine whirred and spun, at a speed that seemed notably unsafe. One didn't worry. He just waited for orders from Base Commander.

"This engine" Corinthian said gesturing vaguely behind him. "Might be the most powerful engine ever to be built in your puny little realm, One. This is, like, a respectable engine. It's feeding enough amps through this conduit-" Corinthian indicates the brass wiring on his right and moves over to it eyeing it with intense admiration. "-to power a whole continent of savage primitives. Or to power a small Hellish Warship. What I'm saying is, this is a very serious engine... Are you paying attention One!?"

One nodded and chirped something. Corinthian wasn't paying attention.

"So! ... You are to wait for Twenty Five minutes. Is that clear? No less than Twenty Five minutes. Pour the water on me One!"

One was worried now. But he followed directions and emptied the barrel of water over Base Commander, who was shouting more orders before the barrel could even be emptied. "TWENTY FIVE MINUTES! And if I can't get myself off the machine after that long, use the wooden parts of the barrel to push me away? Do you understand? .... And if I start to smoke or sizzle or anything give it another twenty five minutes! Okay? Use your best judgment."

"Base Commander, What Are You Intending To Do?"

"Your gods are a lie! gently caress Havis! And everyone who lives here! Your world will perish in flames! The Overgod is Dead! And we killed him! I'm going home you sons of bitches!! HOME!"

With great enthusiasm, Corinthian grabbed onto the copper wiring with his wet metal hands.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the gigantic engine I just fixed to try and electrically fry/overwhelm/destroy the golem. Suicidal [-2] is probably the stat in question. I have given One orders to remove me from the circuit after 25 minutes. Unless I begin to smoke or sizzle in which case he will wait an additional 25 minutes.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Food! Water! Light!

Throughout the facility basic systems hummed into life. What had been merely a cave decorated with pieces of glass and metal finally started to hum into life. Fans began clattering as the great mountain fortress started breathing again. Shinystudy was in the midst of a class when things started fizzing and popping into life around him. At first his students squawked and flapped their wings in alarm but he squawked louder.

"Family, god of book bring blessing. Light! Food! We safe!"

When it became apparent that running water and air conditioning were far from being a threat but actually a convenience they marveled.

"Book god good! Book god good!" they chanted.

However at the end of the day Shinystudy was worried. Although he knew his God's intentions were good he feared that the birds, with their limited vocabulary, were not responding quickly to his efforts, no matter how earnest. So he knelt in prayer. As soon as he closed his eyes he could feel the Hilary's presence. However instead of understanding he felt resistance. It seemed that his God saw this as a trial. Nothing would ever be achieved without some trial. If the people were to develop they needed concentrated study. When he finished, although he still had his doubts, he redoubled his efforts. At least now he could try and find some suitable rooms to set up his school.

---

Hilary continued working through the facility. Corrupted drives? It was sad that the information contained in books was timeless but their pages were fragile things subject to the tyranny of entropy. He reached out with his divine power, perhaps he could call back the whole data from an earlier time, like restoring a digital manuscript.

Hilary is going to keep exploring the facility. This time he will focus on trying to restore corrupted data back to its original form like he would old fragments of a valuable book.

Written Word +2

Shinystudy will show the crow people how to use water and lights etc while continuing to educate the crow people. He will try and use the newly available facilities to find a lecture room, as well as the "Book of Flight", his High Priestly Powers, and the Golden Sanctum library (perhaps it might have books on teaching).

Obstinate -2

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Sister Jessica - Gnoll Settlement(Gnerk), Temperate Forest | 2 MP

The corrupted gnolls are careful not to touch you while exerting their dark power. You are bound and brought to an altar before a fat, squat, and ugly dead tree in the center. Gnoll-claw marks cover its surface. Carved eyes glow with red malice. They try to sink a sacrificial knife into your chest but it, like the gnoll that attacked you, just burns off into nothingness. Various wisps of demonic taint in the surrounding wood howl in anger as the Gnolls are fearful and confused.

Only those who were not injured attempt an ambush, and they are quickly rebuffed and chased by demonic wisps. You fear their healing prowess may not cover any curses the demonic taint may carry. Even you feel a touch feverish from the oppressive evil aura.

Literally nobody involved rolled well here, but you rolled better than any opposing you.

Wegirn - Klomin, Tropical Archipelago, Pier

One of the groups agrees to take you on board. They were light on cargo and were interested in what you offer. The waters between don’t usually offer much adventure, but the mere presence of a god tends to attract attention.

The journey is marked by many sightings of denizens of the ocean, whales and other sea-mammals especially. At what the sailors claim is the midpoint of the journey a rainbow appears in the clear sky. When told of the sign Folau falls to her knees. “A great Water Spirit approaches. Tread carefully.

The rainbow coils into the water near the ship, the waters churning and the sailors struggle to remain upright until the sea becomes completely silent. The head of a snake as large as your ship rises. Its scales shine with all the colors of the rainbow. Its tongue flits in and out. “Yesss. It has been long since I have smelled a trace of the divines. I had thought you all wiped out.” It fixes its unblinking gaze on you. “Why do you tread on my waters, Godling?”

You got the ship. You found a thing! Or it found you, rather.

Airagh - Toman-nos Processing Plant, Edge of the Swamplands

A horrible, shapeshifting creature is birthed. It thrives on the myriad toxins produced by the plant. In the air it is comprised of great sacs to filter its terrible nutrients. In the soil it takes the form of a great worm, eating through the soil to purify it. In the waters it acts as a sponge, filtering the water that passes through it. Deep in the ground it cycles the ground water. It is disgusting. It is the Blightfeeder. It is your child.

Well. It was a high roll. You birthed a horrible monster. It does what you wanted it to do. It does it well enough to cover this complex’s ongoing production and the surrounding environs. The existing pollution in the lands beyond will remain, however.

Arianrhod - Inside the Lost Woods → Noone’s Camp

You charge through the line of Haints. Those you strike head on break their crystals. Once the stones shattered the spirits rise up and fade away. A faint “Thaaaaank yoooou” can be heard as they finally pass. You keep running to the edge of the forest following on to where Noone said there would be a camp.

BOOOM. Decent enough roll. You have the man, are free of the wood, and cough, uncovered a hint of plot.

Garland Grey - Big’Un Settlement, Badlands

Ona shakes her head weakly. “No, we have lost all the hiding places over the years. By force or coercion they have been taken or betrayed. I lost concentration during that push, when they were freed. I fear I may not be much longer.” Her breath has acquired a rattle.

Some of the freed are beginning to return, those with ties or lived in this settlement mainly. Some of the even had the presence of mind to bring human captives. Mostly they are other brainwashed soldiers but one carries one of the mind-masters. A member of the inner council.

This was the safe place.

Ethyl, The (attempting to be) Wicked Witch

She reveled in the power a few moments before attempting to cast a spell. Enchanting a broomstick to sweep the floor!” “Hrmm… Nope. Nothing.” She pondered for a while, trying to figure out just what sort of power she had. A walk around town to test things out would do nicely.

Unfortunately nothing she did seemed to have much of an effect. Until she saw the Baker Melvin. That lecherous man had almost cornered her in his store, if someone had not come in at just the right time. She shuddered. Then he shuddered. And itched. And scratched.

Soon it was his skin that was crawling. Right off of his body. The townsfolk screamed and ran. There was dark magic afoot.

Wasn’t a crit this time but she did kill someone in a horrific and conspicuous way without actually drawing attention to herself. Her power is HEXES. To be clear: You gave her this power. You are her Patron. This is a success.

The shambling revelers go from the relatively intact to those kind of writhing on the ground. Those relatively lucid welcome you and your party aura. Some of the others try and nibble on you but are rebuffed with spring-loaded snakes and water-spraying flowers and other party pranks. Overall it is a good time but the vibe overall is that of a lively funeral reception. The curse enforces partying among the undead, after all.

You’re safe from harm among the zombies, though the party itself has some dark tones among this crowd.

The former master vampire is now a mere husk. It was once a major player on this island, used to others bowing to mere threats. Now you could store stuff in his skull.

Best keep it out of the sunlight.

Nerfed him like it was nothing. Even Landers is impressed.

The bird squaks as you grab it around the neck. A great enough feat, and it fails utterly to shake you off as you knock it off its flight path. It fails to catch air as it falls to ground. Once it hits you realize a portion of your power has been being drained into it. A few spots where the feathers have been torn out reveal what should be flesh is actually a golem made of all-too-familiar crystal. Jax takes a swing at its neck, shaving off a few feathers and shattering a crystal. The area is flooded with divine strength for a few seconds as the power dissipates.

STUFF HAPPENS

Corinthian - The Docks - Ruined Metropolis 1 MP

A being somewhere, elsewhere, laughs at you as the power courses through the golem-body. It tickles, kind of. One eventually uses a broomstick to knock you loose.

“You appear fully charged, Commander.”

Your Golem’s power cells are at full. You can power mundane power-requiring objects by touch(you probably always could but you’re aware of it now). You are completely unharmed.

Hilary - Strange Mountain, Northern Mountains 1 MP

Shinystudy finds what was once a classroom for human children. An abundance of material and computers for the purpose of learning the human language are all about. Aside from one issue with a mouse nest catching fire on one of the devices the lessons went well. And future searches for mouse nests provided some delicious snacks.

On the Divine front attempts it seemed the corruption was stemming from something in higher level systems. You almost seemed to have gained access, indeed you were aware of some security programs and the like, but something with an even higher clearance clamped down and restricted your access. Black orbs attached to walls and ceilings whirred. Eyes. They were mechanical eyes.

But whose?

Shinystudy did better this time around. You just baaarely missed the DC for the next tier. But you got an MP so thats cool.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Ethyl, The Curse of Corneria
Ethyl looked at her reflection in the mirror and cackled. It had taken months to perfect, but she now had an almost flawless cackle. Of course nobody had heard it, as that would give the game away. Baker Melvin had been a good start, but from now on her plans would need to be meticulous in order to avoid drawing suspicion. Future hexes couldn't be people she had a clear link to as that would bring her unwanted attention. Eventually she would get around to dealing with those who had slighted her, first however she would need to hone her new powers.

Stephanie was doing the rounds, which consisted of visiting the infirm and elderly with her herbal remedies. While the elite of Corneria could afford magical healing for the majority herbalists such as herself were relied upon when people became ill. The plan for this morning was a visit to Mrs Colgate, an old darling that was having problems with her hip again. After knocking on the door she let herself in, presumably Mrs Colgate was unable to make it down the stairs. The front room was suprisingly dark and had a odd musty smell to it, so Stephanie decided to open a window. The curtains felt strange beneath her hands and as she pulled them apart there was a sickeningly almost wet tearing sound. The screams were heard three doors down.

When Bill Blake couldn't find his son he assumed that the boy had gone down to the creek to play again. Tim usually went there to fish with the other boys when he had finished his chores. As it got dark Bill started to worry, eventually getting a few of his friends together to help look. It took two days for the search party to find the remains and when they did grown men were reduced to gibbering wrecks by the sight. It wasn't until the day they found Handyman Joe in the fountain that The Curse of Corneria earned it's name. Joe's remains were merged with the statues in a grotesque mockery of what had once been an architectural masterpiece. A mixture of human remains and stone his mouth caught in what appeared to be an eternal scream as water spouted from it.

Curse of Milhaven style, a series of horrific crimes are being discovered in Corneria. Nobody important and nobody directly linked to Ethyl. With each new horror the curse is becoming more Infamous. The hexes are being set off either as time release or when a certain action is performed, this way Ethyl isn't at the scene of the crime. If she succeeds in getting away with the crimes she will be rewarded with a +2 Infamy roll to further enhance her Hexing ability.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Garland nodded. Ona would pass soon. Garland directed the Bid'Uns to make her comfortable and to see to the new arrivals. They would have to move eventually, the army of his enemies would return. That would be certain. The prisoners of war he would leave in their current state. It was this "Mind-master" that Garland wanted to speak with. Girding himself with Psi -shielding both physical and mental, Garland went to speak with this proxy for Francis. The man looked no worse for wear and Garland was surprised he wasn't killed outright for his crimes against the Big'Uns.

Garland would try a verbal chat before using other methods. Shields layered and in place, he began the interrogation:
"So, 'Mind-master'..?" Garland was waiting for the name if the cur even had one. "It would seem my return was just in the nick of time to route your armies. What particular purpose could Francis want, beyond the obvious with the Big'Un people? What is your role besides directing his thralls, the schools of thought your lord uses in addition to what he stole from Ona?" Garland thought. "I didn't teach anything like this to the Big'Uns and I'm curious as to where this mind bending came from? Illithid slavers? They'd never part with the secret and you'd need extensive brain surgery to reform a mind into something not quite monstrous."

Having the Big'Uns bring the newcommers onto team Garland and seeing to Ona's last breaths. Garland will speak to the Mind-Master but not before weaving some pretty heavy duty (nd layered) physical and mental defenses/shields in prep. Using Psi [+2] for the protection.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Wegirn - Tropical Archipelago, Mid-Ocean Voyage

The bard can't help but smile as he notices the signs as well. When Folau fell to her knees and confirmed his suspicion there was no denying the rush of adrenaline that coursed through him. This was the sort of adventure he had always lived for. He immediately made to the front of the ship, and as he went he started singing a legend that he had heard long ago, instructing the assembled sailors to pay respect and reverence for what was coming. As he sings the sailors start to pick up the chorus like one of the work songs, both letting them know what to do and hopefully steadying their nerves in the face of truly august company.

Tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJOovInlk-w
"Come all you young sailormen, listen to me
I'll sing you a song of the lord of the sea,
and it's...
Windy weather boys, stormy weather, boys
When the rain bows we're all together, boys
Bow ye heads reverently, bow ye heads low
Trust the attestor, boys, steady she goes.

First come the seals with their slippery tails,
They jump up aloft and reef the topsails,
and it's...

Then up come the sharks with their nine rows of teeth
Saying, 'Show due respect boys, or we'll get to eat!'
and it's...
Trust the attestor, boys, steady she goes

Then come the whales... the largest of all,
"Our lord now approaches, as our trumpets all call!"
and it's...
Trust the attestor, boys, steady she goes

Last rises the Serpent, king of the sea,
Clad in all colors, both mighty and free!
and it's...
"

As he completes the song and the sea creature rises from the ocean, he gives a low, respectful bow. He remains so as the creature speaks, only rising when it is finished. His face is a mixture of reverence and excitement.

"I am Wegirn, the bard. A divine spark left over from the cataclysm found its way to me, and carried me forward to this time that I may help spread and preserve the wisdom of the past. It gives me great pleasure a lord of the sea also survived the end of the world as was known. Right now we sail for a nearby island, to commission a ship that my troupe and I might sail the world and learn what has come to pass outside these tranquil isles. I meant no offense by stepping into your realm unannounced. If you would give me your name, I will carry it to every port on the seas that you rule, that all those who travel through your kingdom might give proper reverence and blessings, as an apology for my transgression, and to gain your blessing for our journeys."

Going to try and use Skald +2 to know how to show proper respect to this creature and apologize for not properly announcing myself. As an apology I will spread its story and its preferred offering to all the ports where it holds dominion over the sea.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 20, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Airagh - From the Toman-nos Processing Plant on the Edge of the Swamplands to the Dilapidated Shrine

She looked upon her child with a mother's pride, as it went about the task it was born to do. With the problem capped at source, it was time to purify the rest of the surrounds. She traced a path back from the source to the shrine, trying to purify the taint as she went, dssipating the toxins to as close to nothingness as she could. If that was insufficient, she'd have to see about sending her Priestess-Mothers to quest later.

Returning back to the shrine, clearing as much of it up as she can while she goes, plain roll.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Sister Jessica - Gnoll Settlement(Gnerk), Temperate Forest | 0 MP

This had not gone quite the way she had hoped. Nevertheless, they had brought her to the heart of the forest and it was here that she could try and erase the demonic taint corrupting it. She quietly prayed for her warriors to be strong in the face of the malignant spirits that chased them. That they had come this far was enough for her. The sickly aura of this place was playing on even her nerves, and it would be unfair to demand more of them in the face of such oppressive evil. With effort, she managed to raise her head and stare defiantly at the gnolls surrounding her.

"I forgive all of you. You are weak, and scared, and the black spirits of this place have preyed upon your insecurities. Repent your ways and accept my forgiveness, and be free once more."

Casting her face to the sky, Jessica began to sing. She let the divine power within flow outward in a crushing torrent that would dash away the corruption that had infected this land. A vast pillar of light engulfed her, burning up towards the heavens, and growing larger by the moment. As the power flowed out, Jessica bit back her pain and kept singing. She could feel woulds, old and new alike, erupting open across her body. The spot on her thigh where the gnollish arrow had struck. Lesions erupting across her skin from the plague she had ultimately died of. Lacerations from the whips her faith's enemies had chased her with when she dared suggest they work together against that plague. Even the ache from a broken arm in her childhood roared to life as she called upon all the strength she had. She set it all aside; it was an inconsequential price to pay if she could save these people and the creatures that dwelled here.

Healing +2 and 2 MP to cleanse everything in this forest of demonic corruption.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Arianrhod - Noone’s Camp

Well that was fairly horrible, whatever the haints were, they were unwillingly bound. Hopefully they wouldn't go on to threaten other things now they they were free. But that was a problem for near-future Arianrhod, right now, she needed to get the man to safety and treat his wounds if any.

"Noone! Noone, where are you, I found your lost sheep here, help me." She drags him from the forest edge to the camp and lays him down in an available place before checking for more extensive injuries. Then there was the issue of his soul being partially devoured. Maybe she could help with that. She places her hand on his forehead and stomach, both at chakra points, and begins to chant the litany of restoration.

Handing the guy over. [Druidism+2] to try to cure the haint drain.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 21, 2017

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke reels for a moment at the realization that the entire bird is crystal designed to steal divine energy. Was it always so, or was this some sort of trap for him? He didn't really have time to ponder the question now, and so he filed it away for later consideration. Regardless of the how and the why, the fact that it was an energy thief made melee combat... unadvisable. So, rather than lunge in for a second round, Starke rushed over to the nearest sufficiently large boulder he could find and proceeded to hurl it at the bird with all his strength, which as the god of strength was not inconsiderable.

Gonna use Strength[+2] to try and toss a boulder at the bird, hopefully at like Mach 2.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

The replica could see that the human was dumbstruck, probably unsure what happened.

“Are you… okay?” He asked. A few seconds later, the human answered back. He looked more in awe than terrified.

“These… wind bandits… will not... trouble you here. I will... make sure of it. The mountain should be... safe for you.” The replica gave a wave, and went further down the mountain. Ur Tau never really saw what the ground looked like from below, and seeing how vast these lands were from high was something to get used to.

Ur Tau will send his replica down to the sinkhole to get a closer look at the wind bandits. He'll also like to babysit the boy on the mountain, while the replica is sent out.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hilary - Strange Mountain, Northern Mountains 1 MP

Hilary paused as he became aware of the presence observing them. He had believed the strange mountain uninhabited but it seemed there was something aware here. So far the crow people hadn't been attacked so perhaps it wasn't malicious, although the fact that it was corrupting the systems and denying him access meant that it wasn't friendly. Still it had been resident before the crow people and so in a sense it was due some respect. Having worked in the systems for some time now he was now more comfortable working within the code. He wasn't sure if the eyes could see his divine form, though they were sure to have seen the affects of his influence in the sigils and sanctuary. However to approach such a being with no understanding of its nature would not be worthy of a god.

No, what he needed was a messenger. A digital angel. The idea itself intrigued Hilary. Such a creature would be unlike a mere mortal formed out of the material of reality. But a creature that was born out of language to exist in a virtual reality. In essence it would be a metaphor for himself. Hilary drew to mind his knowledge of maths, literature, poetry, science. Working them together in a narrative that spoke in story to itself. A book not set in stone but standing on the stone of Hilary's own nature. A fitting messenger and herald to venture into a new plane to make contact with the unknown.

Written Word +2 and a miracle point to code an angel. Then I'll send the angel to investigate the system and contact the eyes.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

There is a stillness, then the vampire puppet walks forward and sits by Vamer's throne. If the others are all like this, the next few months will be long ones even for one as old as he. Bony fingers drum on stone, a rapid and haunting sound. At last it stops and Vamer speaks.

"I'm somewhat disappointed Landers, but he was a powerful foe. Don't let it happen again. Take some of the zombies and hold the entrance for now. Send word if any more...guests show up. Oh, and bring the sword with you. It should serve as a message to any newcomers."

Another pause.

"It has become clear to me that my lair...no my temple..." The words linger, potent and heavy. "...must be...sanctified? Yes, that feels right now. Kled stay and assist me. When we're done, they won't dare do anything but tremble in my presence."

Using my dominion of Decay+2 and help from my high priest to sanctify my lair, making it a powerspring or whatever. Basically something to give me an advantage while being in my temple/lair.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Haha hey now! No nibbling on first date, Diona is not that kinda gal!"

Diona laughed as bit as she rebuffed them more excitable undead among the ranks. She walked around, partook in some festivity, downed a couple of Zombie cocktails, that sort of thing. But still, there was an inescapable... stuffiness present. It was a feeling shared by all obligated festivity, and whilst Diona did not rebuff societal expectation out of hand as a necessarily bad thing, actual curses and control magics were taking things a bit far.

Right.

She should probably do something about that then. She quaffed down one last glass of graveyard punch, cracked her fingers and set off to saunter... somewhere? She was not a magician, but she had a feeling that as the party goddess some sort of divine intuition would lead her to the origins of the curse. Or maybe inspiration regarding it would strike her as she took a stroll? Who knows. It was a nice night out regardless, so not like she would exactly lose anything by taking a walk.

Festivity [+2] to try and figure out what the deal is with this party-related curse anyway. What it is and why it is and is there a way to get rid of it, that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Ethyl, The Curse of Corneria

She felt her power grow. She could do larger things now, with more people involved. Killing was fun and all, but that was best saved to make a show. Now, though, she felt like dancing. Lots of dancing. Not herself. Other people. Until they dropped.

And it was so.

I was going to punish you for having her results happen before I rolled, but I rolled and they matched the actions pretty well. You get a warning this time.
Her power is amped up and there is a new dance craze in town! It’s called “Dance, Peons!”(you don’t have a choice remix). Its gone viral and everybody spends at least a day doing it. Some do two. Three or more and you start to risk dying. Of fun! And dehydration/exhaustion.

The Mind-bender’s initial attack was as a gnat’s fart against your defenses. He seemed surprised and was quiet as you asked your questions. He stared at you quietly as he seemed to puzzle over his answer. “I am Staine, you must be Master Grey.” He smoothed out his clothes and looked back to you with a smug grin. “Lord Francis makes mention of you as the creator of the Half-giant’s school of mind magic.” He stares deeper into your eyes. “Will over self, Will over matter. Francis realized that Will could be used to dominate others. And he mastered it and then taught it to free men who swore him fealty. No others taught him, he merely used your gift to another end.” The grin was larger, and even more smug. He had somehow slipped past your defenses with subterfuge rather than strength. “Oh, you are a god now? My Lord would be interested in this. But first, ENSLAVE THE HALF-GIANTS AND COMMAND THEM TO OBEY ME!

It seemed your arrogance and lack of knowledge of this rogue school of thought-psionics had left you just barely vulnerable to his life’s best work. Fortunately for you, and all Big’Uns, Ona has one last bit of strength. She chooses to use it against the Mind-bender. Her hand shaking she extends a fist at Staine, then extends her pointer and middle fingers at his head. He is too focused, straining in his attempt to control you. She turns her hand in a sharp motion and blood pours out of Staine’s eyes, nose, and ears. Ona sends you one last message telepathically.

<They get you with their eyes. Blind them, blindfold them. Never underestimate them. I have done all I can. It is good to have seen your return.> She finally relents and succumbs to the natural death she has staved off for so long.

Hey I tagged Arrogance -2 For you. +1 MP. I don’t know what it is with these mortals in this game but they crit like crazy. You lost a valuable if dangerous captive.
The Big’Uns are doing as told, Ona died doing what she loved. Killing mind-benders.

Wegirn - Tropical Archipelago, Mid-Ocean Voyage

The Rainbow Serpent listens to your song, visibly amused. “You do me honor in your way, godling. I am merely curious, the gods of old became petty and vicious and the mortals followed them along that path both with and against them. All suffered. I shall keep my eye on you but not interfere unless you follow the path of old. Should I like you, well, chance to call upon me in a time of need and we shall see.” It slithered off into the horizon.

Folau eyes were wide despite her lack of sight. “Rainbow Sepents have destroyed armadas on a whim.” You cannot be sure if it could seriously harm you, but it could have done harm to your followers.

You might be able to call in a favor later if you aren’t a jerk in the Serpent’s eyes.

Airagh - From the Toman-nos Processing Plant on the Edge of the Swamplands to the Dilapidated Shrine

The poison lifts and evaporates from the land and life of the swamplands as you pass. You feel the power running strong within you, though the land itself has been poisoned too long to bounce back right away. There remains blighted pockets within but about two-thirds the land is currently cleansed. A closer look reveals that the delicate micro-ecosystems within the soil itself will have to recover in due time before the lands become vibrant and healthy once again.

The land is still struggling, but the poison has caused lingering sterility. It can heal itself in time. You rolled really well to cleanse the poison this much though.

Sister Jessica - Gnoll Settlement(Gnerk), Temperate Forest | 0 MP

Your power radiates like a beacon, healing magic washing away all traces of demondom from the forest. The wisps burn and disappear in a sulfuric smoke. The red-eyes spasm and fall into a trance as their dark passengers are destroyed. The corruptive curse on your injured followers is broken. All that remains of the Demonic force in the forest is that contained within the dark tree, even as the bark regrows and covers the scratches in its wood.

“God, release me! I have no wish to remain here. Banish me, destroy me with your magic, just free me from this prison!”

BOOM. Everything but the Source. Is cleansed and healed.

Arianrhod - Noone’s Camp

You reverse the aging and damage to the man’s soul and life-force. Noone is attempting to discuss compensation for your effort when a wave of healing magic comes out of the woods in the opposite direction of the foggy Lost Wood. All members of the camp heal old wounds, old scars, and feel better than they have in years or decades. They even look a few years younger each.

You had a success! Then a powerful wave of healing magic comes by.

You hurl your boulder so fast you hear an audible crack as you throw it. The wave of air around it knocks over nearby huts and the closest bystanders, including the maiden, off their feet. It hits and shatters on the bird. It wobbles and Jax strikes, the axe finding an apparent crack in the crystal underneath. It sticks but he twists and the monster shatters. A cloud of energy rises and flees toward the Poisonlands as the crowd cheers.

It does not last very long, however, as a voice from the poisonlands roars.

“STAAAAAAAAARKE!”

More giant creatures rise from the plaguelands. You can make out eleven distinct poison-colored animal shapes coming for your location. They are a Bat, Lion, Bear, Horse, Rat, Wolf, Rabbit, Turtle, Dog, Fish and Elephant.

You two beat the heck out of the bird. However, it seems whatever force controlling it recognized you. Now the whole gang is coming to visit.

They appear to be humans, adult, with stones like the one the boy had. One of them lays still, not breathing. Two more seem damaged. The other is sitting up and catching his breath. “What the gently caress?” it mutters to itself. “What the gently caress!?” over and over again. It is apparently very confused.

The boy wanders outside to look for some food, trusting in you, the Mountain.

One had died, two others are injured. One doesn’t seem harmed but you recall humans are squishy and part water so it can be hard to really know how damaged they are.

Hilary - Strange Mountain, Northern Mountains 0 MP

Your Digital Angel is born within the system and attempts to search the computer system. It seems to find it quickly since klaxxons begin blaring, and red sirens flash. Then they stop. Turrets and concealed warbots start up then return to an idle state. The cameras stop moving.

Your angel reports back. “Third and Fourth Level command function on hold. Door to Computer Core is open. It thinks us invaders but is not programmed to accept that its creators are long dead. I am not sure I can keep it in check forever. Its source must be altered or destroyed.”

The Way is Clear. Your angel will hold the AI at bay for now. You will get advance warning if it fails.

Vamer - Lich’s Lair Vamer’s Temple, Island Black

Landers nods and shuffles off, muttering “Vampire’s going to be faster than me right now. A few weeks from now? We’ll see. Oh we shall see.”

The magic is weaker than you had hoped, but you manage to consecrate the area to yourself. Powers such as yourself will not be affected, though you will know if they enter your sacred space. Mortals not aligned to you will suffer a disadvantage, though, while those aligned to you will have their abilities amplified.

Giving yourself a boost is a pretty high roll, higher than you can manage right now, but you have your first temple.

Diona- Salina, The Great Desert(Pocket Realm Theater)

Diona had the sense of being flung backwards. For a moment she felt beyond reality. She appeared in a room with a screen and several comfy reclining chairs. A drink dispenser and popcorn was provided. Someone had set up a viewing room in a pocket dimension. On the screen played out the scene. A god of old offended by the hedonistic partying in the desert. A curse placed on them that their souls be denied an afterlife or reincarnation. A draw to all those who would sin in this lost god’s eyes to the desert to die and share in the curse forevermore. A flash flood drowning the original party while a little earworm spread the Legend of Salina. The curse would have to be broken by an opposing power. A message flashed at the end. “Look under your seat.”

Lo and behold underneath your seat was a small ticket that read, “Good for One Upshift towards breaking the Curse of Salina.”

Whatever that meant. As soon as your understanding of the ticket registered you realized you had been transported back to the party. Or you had never left. You still held the ticket, but your drink was missing.

For some reason I had a bit of writers block in actually conveying it so I hope that was sufficient. You rolled pretty well and actually did your research so you now have an upshift +2 towards breaking this curse.

• Locked thread