Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Starke - Klibariko, Bluffs

Starke strode down the path, impressed by the young man's strength and determination. Lifting the boulder with one hand, Starke reaches out with his free hand, placing it on the man's broken chest. He speaks, his voice booming and deep, "I am Starke, and your actions have impressed me. Pledge yourself to me, body and soul, and I will grant you my gifts."

If the man assented to the pledge, Starke planned to channel his divine power into his broken body, restoring him and granting him great strength and vitality.

Starke's gonna use Strength[+2] to give this guy the gift of swole if he agrees to be Starke's disciple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke sits on a rock waiting for his new disciple to return. He was surprised to be recognized and had many questions, but if he was going to be a God, then his disciples ought to come to come to him, not vice versa. He passes the time by looking down below to see just who was doing the cheering.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke smiles, "I granted you strength, after all..." he gestures to the crowd, "it would appear you are my Champion, and the Champion of a new God shouldn't be stopped by such a trivial task. So, my Champion, why don't you go bring me my ax, and then you can tell me why you need it."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke held out his hand, "Very well, give it here."

quote:

Axe: Starke! You have returned!

Starke:: "Indeed I have, it seems killing the Beast brought me to the attention of the cosmos and I have become more than merely mortal."

Axe: "Just as I became more than a mere axe"

Starke:: "How long has it been since the night I struck down the Beast?"

Axe: "...many generations. Every time the beast takes a new form and attacks again. The time is soon upon us if a hero has risen again."

Starke:: "It survived?" Starke seems shocked, he still recalls watching the monster bleed out from the many wounds of their final confrontation.

Axe: "It returned, far weaker than when we faced it. Smashing the crystals cost it much power but it managed to form again. The maiden calls it manifesting."

Starke:: "Who is this Maiden?"

Axe: "Like the Hero there is a Maiden every generation. Sometimes the Maiden is is a Sir and sometimes the Hero is a Heroine but they possess great power. The Enemy covets this power."

Axe: (When the beast lost power during the battle some of it spread to these people. The beast wants to take it back to try and mount that power as it was trying to before)

Axe: "When we fell your body turned to stone. Or stone took the place of your body. But I remained to help the Hero fight the Beast every time.

Starke:: "It would appear we need to finish what we started once and for all. Slay the Beast for good."

Axe: "That has been the prophecy. Your return to end the cycle."

Starke:: "I assume you know how to find the Beast?"

Axe: "It will come."

Starke:: "I suppose we should prepare in the meantime. If I was able to mostly slay the beast as a mortal, as a God finishing a diminished version off should be very doable."

Axe: "So they hope. A Hero and the divine Starke to end the beast and purge the poisonlands."

Starke:: "So what do you know of this Jax. I was considering having him be my first priest."

Axe: "He is the Hero this cycle."

Starke:: "I have already granted him some power, perhaps I should try and replace the Beast's power within him with my own."

Axe: "It was never the Beasts. It was stolen before. We freed it. The beast needs its power, the maiden's power, and the Hero's power to become a Power again."

Axe: "Even my power is somehow tied in with theirs."

Starke:: "Interesting. Well, when we slay the beast, I may be able to take its remaining power for my own then."

Axe: "Maybe. None have returned from seeking its lair, though. It will run as a coward will if the Hero begins to best it."

Starke:: "Then we will hurt it, and track it, and then kill it. In the meantime, let us prepare."

Starke returned the Axe to Jax, then spoke for the first time in minutes. "I have already given you the beginning of my gift, but before I grant you more there is something you must understand. I have transcended mortality, the cosmos has made me divine. In you, what I desire is not an apprentice or a student, but a priest. Are you willing and prepared to take up this role?

Asking Jax if he's ready to become a Starke's first priest.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 15, 2017

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke looks up at the bird circling overhead. "It seems we'll have to start earlier than expected." He turn to Jax, "Get ready for when that thing comes down, I'm going to try something."

Setting his stance, he crouches down building tension and then with an explosive push of his legs launches himself into the air at the Beast, attempting to tear it down from the sky.

Gonna use my Strength[+2] to hulk-leap try and grapple the Beast down to earth.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke reels for a moment at the realization that the entire bird is crystal designed to steal divine energy. Was it always so, or was this some sort of trap for him? He didn't really have time to ponder the question now, and so he filed it away for later consideration. Regardless of the how and the why, the fact that it was an energy thief made melee combat... unadvisable. So, rather than lunge in for a second round, Starke rushed over to the nearest sufficiently large boulder he could find and proceeded to hurl it at the bird with all his strength, which as the god of strength was not inconsiderable.

Gonna use Strength[+2] to try and toss a boulder at the bird, hopefully at like Mach 2.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke let out a harty laugh, "It would seem I've been recognized, and the Beast is sending a veritable army to try and finish the bird's work." He turns to the villagers, "You wouldn't happen to have some spears would you? Something a bit more suited than boulders to thin their numbers a bit." When the villagers returned with a handful of iron spears, Starke took them up, lined up one of the oncoming beasts, and let loose. He was a bit more careful not to knock down any houses with the shockwave from his throw this time. He attempted to shatter the creatures one after another, he would leave the Lion for last. He had other plans for it.

Starke's gonna get some spears from the villagers, and use his ridiculous Strength[+2] to send them flying like railgun rounds at the oncoming crystal beasts. Not aiming at the lion for now.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

As the beasts reached the base of the cliff, Starke ceased his ranged assault. Instead he walked calmly over to near the edge. Once he found a spot to his liking he wound up a punch and then smashed his fist into the ground like an artillery shell. If a few rocks was enough to smash these things, then sending the entire cliff face cashing down on them ought to put a dent in their day. Even so, he kept his eye on the lion, trying as best he could not to damage it. He had other plans in mind for that, plans that required it to be in one piece.

Gonna use Strength[+2] to smash the cliff face and send it falling down on the gathered beasts as one hell of rock slide. Still trying to spare the lion if at all possible.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke streched for a moment, and then leaped into the frey. A great axe appeared in his hand and he began to smash the remaining crystal beasts intending to leave only the Lion remaining.

Gonna generate some weapons and then smash the crap out of all the remaining statues but the lion. Strength[+2] to hit them with weapons with enough force to shatter them.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Starke - Edge of the Poisoned Lands

Starke rushes over, tackling the Lion from off of Jax. They tumble for a second, before Starke pins the crystal beast. He can feel it draining his power, but he doesn't care, rather he pours it on. "I am the god of strength, do you think you can overpower me?" Starke laughs heartily, pouring more and more of his power into the lion, attempting to force out the Beast's influence and replace it with his own. "I will take you from my foe, and make you my own vessel, you have my word on that."

Starke tackle's the Lion off of Jax and attempts to use it's power draining against it. Essentially he's using his Strength[+2] to try and push the Beast's power out of the Lion and replace it with his own.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Starke - The Poisoned Lands

Starke stood, feeling drained the Lion now standing loyally at his side. it's one dark coloring now a burning red more reflective of its new master. Still, there was no time to rest. Drawing another weapon, he charged forward to do battle with the Beast.

Starke's going to join his followers in fighting the Beast. [+0] to attack and defend.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

He had beaten the Beast once before, and now that it was once more physical he would continue to strike at it, smashing at its weakest points. His allies attacked as well, forcing the Beast to divide its attention, this battle would not be over until one side or the other was destroyed.

Starke's continuing to fight the Beast. Strength[+0] to smash its skeleton to dust wherever possible. I figure Starke still remembers it's general patterns and how it fights from before, so that'll inform his tactics on when and where to strike.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke looks down on the dying embers of the Beast, there is the hate of a lifetime spent trying to extinguish the creature there. He crushes the Beast's last flickers and once he is sure it is destroyed he adds, "Yes, I did," under his breath.

That matter settled, the Beast now truly dead at last, Starke spares a glance up at the silver mist which had appeared, all to similar in appearance to what remained of the Beast, his intent clear. No words were said, but the fact that he wanted it gone was clear enough.

Once all other presences had absented themselves, Starke turned to Jax. "Where were we before we were interrupted. Ah yes, I believe you were agreeing to become my priest."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Starke - The Reclaimed Lands

Starke thought back on the handful of priests he had encountered in his journey and what exactly their duties entailed and the responds, "Worship me, lead others in worship of me, help convert people to the worship of me, help enforce my teachings when I have them, normal priest things. As a benefit, you will also gain my blessing and the favor of living god."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke smiled at Jax's agreement. "Now, you need symbol of office, something to show you are my priest." Starke ponders this for a second until his Lion returns with more fragments of the ax. "Ah yes, that will work."

Starke gathers the fragments, and focuses his power on them. He would reconstruct the ax, but rather than a weapon to destroy the Beast, now it would serve as a tool and a totem for his first priest. Where once the Ax had granted those it chose with the power to harm the Beast, now Starke would imbue it with the power to strengthen the other blessings of his it's wielder might possess. For someone without any of Starke's boons, it would be an ax of exceptional sharpness and that possessed a mind of its own, but would not grant any supernatural power. In addition, Starke took steps to ensure the Ax would only be used for his ends. Just as once only the chosen hero could wield it, now only those with true faith in Starke in their hearts would be able to lift the ax. For all others, it would not move no matter how much effort was applied. Starke did leave even the unworthy able to communicate with the ax if they touched it, and gave the ax the tools for it to advise any it communicated with on how they might go about building the faith and devotion necessary to wield it.

When it was done, Starke handed the ax to Jax, and commanded him in a fairly jovial tone, "Here is my gift to you. Your first task as my priest, is to convert the townsfolk to my worship. Consider it a final test of your qualifications."

Starke's remaking the Ax. Except unlike last time where it was a specifically anti-Beast weapon, this version will serve to enhance any other blessing of Starke's the wielder might have. So for Jax, who's gotten super human strength, it'd make him even stronger, someone who was blessed with the ability to quickly put on muscle from training would be able to put on even more muscle even faster, etc. However, the ax can only be wielded by someone who possesses true faith in Starke, for anyone else it's too heavy to lift (think Mjolnir in the marvel comics). Anyone who is touching it (even if they can't lift it) can communicate with the consciousness of the ax, who will try and help them strengthen their faith. Strength[+4]

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke just stands frozen, a lifetime alone leaving him not sure what to feel or what to do, paralyzed in the face of his priest's response.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
MP: 1

"Yes... lets." As Starke and Jax return to town, Starke lays out his plan. "Jax, it seems the people already regard me as a hero, but aren't yet aware I've become divine. I think it's time for a demonstration of just what I can do. I want you to pick those villagers who you think will make good disciples, and bring them to me."

Heading back to town, and tasking Jax to gather up some potential disciples so Starke can try some sort of miracle to convince the villagers he's not just a hero anymore.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Starke - Klibariko

When he is alone with Jax and those his priest had selected as potential disciples, Starke spoke up. "All of you know of me of my deeds. However, I have returned after all these years not as a man, but as a god. I have saved your village from the Beast with the aid of my first priest," he gestures at Jax, "and he has recommended you to serve as my disciples. If you are ready to take up this role then all you need do is affirm your desire to do so and open your hearts and souls to me, and I will grant you my blessing. Those who do not wish to do so need merely to leave, there will be no punishment for refusing to take up this offer."

He waits, and after sufficient time for all present to make their choice, he lets his power flow into those who remain. Just as he did for Jax, he would show them the blessings the god Starke could provide. Their bodies would know strength beyond merely human limits, and they would be restored to the peak of vitality no mater their age or injury. Let them serve as living proof of his power and the blessings he could grant to the faithful.

Starke's going to bless the potential acolytes with the gift of swole. Aiming to make them all very strong and obviously muscular. If I can work de-aging the older ones and strengthening all of their bodies into that as well even better. Strength[+4]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Starke - Klibariko

Starke smiles magnanimously as the disciples are transformed by his power, the first step in going from hero to god in the eyes of the people. He would have teachings for them soon enough, but first he needed to begin the process of winning over the rest of the villagers. If all went well, then perhaps very soon all of them would be worthy of rebirth into Swoleborn. So he gives the order.

"My first task for you, my disciples, is to go out among the people. Use the blessings I have granted you to help open their hearts to my divinity, and win them to my worship. While you begin the task of helping the rest of the village become worthy of rebirth in me, I will prepare the teachings that will form the next step.

While his disciples spread the good news of his divinity, Starke set to work putting together the teachings of his new religion. After all, he understood better than anyone alive the very best mundane ways to build and maintain physical strength, he ought to be able to put together some teachings that would help those who followed them become strong enough to be worthy of rebirth. Of course, he'd mix in a healthy dose of the need for faith and devotion to him, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, he was putting together a religion after all, not a workout tape, or at least he hoped it wouldn't be a problem.

Starke's sending out his Swoleborn to win over the other villagers to his worship. While they start to do that, he's gonna start to put together the actual core of his religion. Lots of rules for life and how he expects his followers to behave. Of course, as the god of Strength[+2] there are lots of rules and rituals which just so happen to also be excellent for getting people to build serious muscle. The fact that he Just Wants to be Loved[-2] means there's also gonna be more stuff on the importance of piety and devotion to Starke than is probably strictly necessary and that sort of stuff will get worked into the rituals and rules in ways that may benefit both, but is just as likely to get one in the way of the other.

Ex. Some sort of religious call and response weight lifting rep thing, which could either be great for focusing people so they find the reps easier and getting them to repeat and absorb religious mantras or it might it might just be a big distracting mess that ends up making it harder to do the reps and just get annoyed at the religious component.

• Locked thread