Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Vamer - Lich’s Lair, Island Black

Ash lays thick in the air like a somber breeze, floating down on the hard rock of the carved cavern Vamer has laired in these past decades and obscuring the fading light of the arcane symbols on the floor. The glow around Vamer's corpse slowly subsides and the body begins to move again as Vamer's spirit reconnects to its earthly tether. In a grand ritual of his own design from years of research Vamer has taken the first true step to escaping death. While others have always sought to defeat death, Vamer grew to understand one must embrace it to deny it. As much of a contradiction as that may seem, Vamer can feel new power flow through him. He frowns, shriveled tendons drawing the tattered flesh of his mouth back. This is not the power I sought...but it feels like a step in the right direction. I can feel it, the Decay of all the things. I can hold it off, accelerate it, or maybe even reverse it? Vamer thinks.

His undead (divine? divine) gaze turns to the ashes once more, all that remains of his students save one. The others could not escape their fear of death and so it consumed them, but Kled was different. He was an orphan Vamer found on a battlefield clutching the body of his sister, struck by an arrow as two lords clashed at a nameless village. The boy only stared as Vamer approached and said, "Child, do you want her back?" A small nod. "Then come with me, and in time we might find a way to take those we lost back from death." Vamer spoke to the boy of necromancy and his goals as they watched the battle finish, then chanted and raised the fallen to take back with him. The survivors were worn out by the battle and only watched in fear as the procession of dead left, the lich holding the boys hand and a skeleton holding the girls corpse besides them. The sisters corpse lays now with his families, in the deepest and most secure vault in the cavern.

Five years had passed since then. Now, the end seems finally in reach. "Kled, it is done. And it is not done. I have ascended past mortality and into divinity now, but death is not my domain...yet. But I am close. Decay obeys me now, the erosion and breaking of all things. The Slow Death will trouble us no more. But the others, who have sought for longer than we, will come soon in search of the same power. We must make ready to receive our...guests. But first..."

Vamer streches forth his hand and flexes his new power, sending it forth to hit Kled. "My blessing upon you, first of my students and now High Priest. Times clock has stopped for you, your body shall no longer age and decay as was your living fate. You will not need to become as I became."

"Now, ready the zombies, the ghouls, the skeletons. Send a message to Landers the revenant, he may be amendable to bending the knee. We must have a show of force to keep the scavengers and predators at bay. Then...then I go after Death itself."

Blessing my new High Priest using the power of Decay, stopping his aging. Possibly any sickness as well, if that counts as decay. Vamer rallies his army of undead to provide a strong show of force and will attempt to recruit Landers the revenant, a powerful warrior who returned into undeath through force of will. He would make both a strong ally and a good study subject on death.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

"Now, ready the zombies, the ghouls, the skeletons. Send a message to Landers the revenant, he may be amendable to bending the knee. We must have a show of force to keep the scavengers and predators at bay. Then...then I go after Death itself."

Vamer rallies his army of undead to provide a strong show of force and will attempt to recruit Landers the revenant, a powerful warrior who returned into undeath through force of will. He would make both a strong ally and a good study subject on death.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Bright torches light up the throneroom. Neither of them need the light to see but it felt appropriate to Vamer. It reminded him of better times...no now is not the time to dwell on that. He focuses his gaze upon the revenant before him and saw the man had suffered greatly. Vamer extend his hand and points toward Landers.

"There been great change lately. We, who have sought to escape deaths grasp, will have it face it one way or another. And I am just as much a part of that change now. Where as the others who have retreated here have not advanced, content to stay and try to hide from death, I have never stopped seeking its end. And now I find myself on the path to its true mastery, to become one with it. You Landers, shall aid me on this. For the others blindly grope in the darkness, where I see clearly. And for that clarity they will seek to worry my bones and whats left of flesh like carrion crows, to steal what power I have gained. But they would squander it on petty matters..."

A dry rattle of bones escapes from Vramers figure. "Serve with me, for I know they will come soon to either grovel or steal. But if we stand tall and bend them to my will, I can continue to walk the path laid before me. And then, I will conquer death itself. Would you not seek to feel the warmth of your body once more? I do. And nothing shall stop me from my goal. I shall undue the damage upon your body, your decay. Every time the sun sets, in the twilight hour between its light and the moon, shall your body return bit by bit to what it was before. The ravages of time reversed until you are whole once more. Take heed however, should you every betray me all that and more will be undone in an instant."

After Vamers speech, he attempts to reverse the Decay+2 of Landers. Every twilight whatever damage has been done will slowly reverse until he is whole.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 9, 2017

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

A dry, rattling laugh escapes from Vamer's lips. "Did you expect that to work? You'd of had little chance of it before I changed. It was no mere ritual or undertaking I took. I have ascended to godhood, true godhood and not some pretentious state like some have before. You can kneel in service like the others who seek to usurp me will, or face true death." He gives Landers a pointed look.

Vamer just laughs and shrugs it off. The vampire can kneel and swear service or face Landers.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Well, he gave the vampire a chance. If the others are like this or worse, maybe an example should be made to cow them.

"If you will not kneel, then so be it." he says.

Vamer waves his hand at the vampire and unleashes his power.

Decaying+2 out his brain and back of head and keeping it like that. With no mind he will be a mindless undead and serve as an undead puppet to show the others who will arrive what it means to cross him.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

There is a stillness, then the vampire puppet walks forward and sits by Vamer's throne. If the others are all like this, the next few months will be long ones even for one as old as he. Bony fingers drum on stone, a rapid and haunting sound. At last it stops and Vamer speaks.

"I'm somewhat disappointed Landers, but he was a powerful foe. Don't let it happen again. Take some of the zombies and hold the entrance for now. Send word if any more...guests show up. Oh, and bring the sword with you. It should serve as a message to any newcomers."

Another pause.

"It has become clear to me that my lair...no my temple..." The words linger, potent and heavy. "...must be...sanctified? Yes, that feels right now. Kled stay and assist me. When we're done, they won't dare do anything but tremble in my presence."

Using my dominion of Decay+2 and help from my high priest to sanctify my lair, making it a powerspring or whatever. Basically something to give me an advantage while being in my temple/lair.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Vamer - Vamer's Temple, Island Black

Things feel...different now. Like a torch thrust into the mouth of a dark cave, illumination came to Vamer as he finished chanting with Kled. As the lair, no temple became sanctified Vamer understood certain things about godhood he had not before. How worship would empower him. About the full extent of his power...divinity and all the benefits and downsides. He'll find no worshipers here on the isle though, only the undead and necromancers make their way here for its font of necromantic energy. He ponders all this, silent as a death itself while zombies continue to renovate the temple around him. The slapping of dead feet on hard stone is broken only by the clatter as the dead work.

"Fetch paper Kled, quickly." He says suddenly. The man gives him a quirk of the brow but returns shortly. "For our goals to succeed, I must gain even more pow...no divinity. To grasp death. Worship will sustain me and so will fear. The undead can not give this this. So we must spread the faith among the living. To that end, we shall write the tenets of the faith in my holy book, Death and Decay. Then, I shall send out visions of it. Those receptive will learn it and spread the faith."

Using Decay+2 Writing a holy book and then sending visions out among the mortals to receptive people, likely madmen or soothsayers, to try and start up his church on the mainland. He'd send Kled but he needs him here until no more stand against him, plus he could be ambushed on his way.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 29, 2017

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

The others continue to remain aloof, but their time will come. In the end, all things shall come to his domain, Vamer realizes. Whether they or he likes it or not. But they shall not remain apart for long. With the vampires cowed and under his command, soon the others will follow. For now, he turns his attention to the vampire delegates before him.

"You've chosen...wisely." The mindless doll of the Count speaks.

Vamer stands up and walks forward, his steps deathly silent. "A new age dawns. One of...gods." The message remains a reminder that despite his new power, others exist and maybe even beings just as great. "Joining my fold shall see us all on the great journey to defeat Death." The words holds a physical weight, shattering the air as he speaks them.

"The others shall soon join us, whether of their own will or undeath remains to be seen. Once the Island Black is mine, nothing shall stop me from learning its full secrets and ascending to greater power. For now, you shall find succor in my embrace." A bony finger points to Countess Ivana, one of the more elder vampire yet no less beautiful for it. "Countess, you shall lead your people in my name and preach to them the holy words I have written. For they have power now, to sustain those who fight off deaths touch and keep them whole. Kneel, and be the first to receive my benediction."

Using Decay+2 to develop my priests system of miracles/spells. I see this taking different forms as spoken by different beings. For the vampires? Satisfying their thirst in the form of communion or a Create Blood/Sate Thirst miracle, possibly some minor resistance to sunlight as well.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 5, 2017

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

The sun sets on the island and the creatures of the night come out to revel or feed, engage in dark arts or explore their own unmortality. In this particular case, they march forth in orderly lines. Vamer rides a pale dead horse at its head, Landers and Kled by his side. The Countess trails behind, leading her contingent of vampires. Silent and uncomplaining, skeletons bring up the rear. They march for the center of the wraiths power here on Island Black.

"I must secure the island and its peoples before I can channel its energies to ascend further. To this end, all must either kneel and swear to me, leave the island, or face true death." he speaks to his followers as they ride. "The wraiths will be our first target. They pose the greatest risk of hidden attack later, given their nature, and if they were to scatter finding them all would take too long."

Vamer and his forces march on the wraiths!

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

As the last hostile wraith falls to Landers sword, Vamer looks over the humbled survivors. A pity it came to this, but he can have no detractors behind him. All here must join, for he knows they will oppose him in his next step otherwise. They've chosen the stick, now for the carrot.

"I hear your plea. Such a gift was offered before and was spurned. Now that you have paid the price you ask for the gift again."

There is a pause. The wraiths might of held their breath, had they bodies still.

"I will grant it." A distant boom sounds as Vamer raises his hand, palm first towards them. "Where once you sought the life force of others, you shall seek the sun and heat to sustain you. Where you once opposed me, you shall serve me without question. And should you turn from me, nothing shall ever sate you save each other."

Using Decay+2 to change the nature of their downside to immortality. Where once sun was anathema and hurt them, it will instead sustain them, as will heat. Should they ever betray me or leave, they will find they can only feed on other wraiths.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

The wraiths bask in the sun, enjoying the first time in their tortured lives a freedom from their hunger. Here Vamer stands, feeling the sun himself and its heat. The vampires for the most part lay sleeping, save for one or two more adventurous individuals who crave its light once more. With a sweeping motion he indicated his former foes to to the Witches envoy.

"Change has come to this island and the world. For my work to continue, I can brook no threats to my power here on the island. Peace there will be, but its form you must choose. Bend the knee and receive a boon. I will not send you to your deaths or into harms way, I merely seek that you do not oppose me. You may also choose to leave the island. No harm shall come to you and your passage to the mainland will be assisted. Or finally..." Fire blazes swiftly and then extinguishes in the lich gods eyes. "...do neither and find death quickly. I trust this will not be a hard choice. Choose peace, swear yourselves to me, and enjoy my blessing. Now go, and pass my message to your masters."

As the envoy leaves, Landers approaches. Already the revenant appears almost whole, his powerful undead form having filled out and free of the decay of time. "Shall we lay waste to them as well master?"

"Not unless they force me to do. Every death is a defeat..." Vamer turns away, facing east. Towards his next target, the Cabal of Dark Magicians. While he mostly stayed out of the fray, these will prove the most dangerous foes to face. It is time they understand why even before he achieved divinity Vamer was a force to be reckoned with. One does not survive to lichdom and stay in lich form for as long as he has without great power.

Telling the Witches their options. Bend and serve, with guarantees they will not be forced to fight, and will receive a boon. Leave the island with his assistance for the mainland. Or be crushed next. For now, they are marching on the Cabal of Dark Magicians. Vamer will join the fray as well this time, showing them why he was once feared in the Ages before when he wandered, Decay+2

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Vamer - Dark Cabal Spire, Island Black

Ah...this would explain the Cabals rejection of his terms. They already served a master. Fools, to engage with the infernal forces. Vamer had considered such a pact himself once, but the price was always too high and in the end the demon would cheat him out of the deal. The crawling horde coming towards him would of terrified him...in another life. Now he feels only disdain as the the undead and infernal armies clash. The only real threat here is the dark patron trying to pull itself forth into this world.

"Kled."

The highpriest looks up from the book and stops chanting. "Yes? Kinda busy if you haven't noticed."

"I've noticed." Kramer says with the dryness only an undead could muster. "And I have determined that we will use this to our advantage. I can feel it coming here but that is its mistake. For on the mortal plane, it must follow mortal rules. We will engage it directly while the skeletons and zombies hold back its forces. As for how..."

The Counts slack body stands up and approaches. "A vessel. You will speak the words to channel my power into its form. Then we will make our way through to the pit and send it ahead. The blast of divine energy will debilitate the demon and decimate its forces. Then I shall strike and Decay them into...power for the taking."

Okay so Vamer will work with Kled to turn the Count into a divine bomb of Decay basically, using Decay+2. Then they'll fight their way through to the pit and have the Count fly in and go BOOM!. If all goes well, next turn he'll be able to use decay on his weakened foe to turn into just pure power and entrap that power.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

The Count proved useful in the end and the explosion of divine energy severely weakened the portal, but its still open. While the undead horde holds back the demonic tide, Vamer pauses to consider the situation. Whatever the abyssal entity was that has spearheaded this intrusion to the mortal plane, it had escaped the blast and was now with two metal creatures. But they must wait.

Countless screams and roars stand in stark contrast to the silence of the dead as the two armies meet. As long as the portal remains the demonics forces will not stop coming. So, closing the portal then. Well he is a god now, is he not? A direct approach, a show of divine power to strike fear into the demons themselves. Vamer will show them his fury, his anger and frustration. They stand between him and his goal and nothing must ever stop him.

"Landers, with me." The undead before Vamer part like a sea of decaying flesh dividing as the god walks forth, bodyguard beside him. He will crush the portal in his hands and any demon that tries to stop him shall taste Decay and wither.

Vamer gets into the fray, with Landers at his side to guard him. He heading towards the portal, spearheading the undead army. Anything in his way shall taste Decay+2 and crumble, either turned to ash/dust/goo or weakened to fall under Landers blade. And the portal? He'll snuff it out.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Ah finally, the demon itself approaches. It is time to end this charade. For over 300 years...300 years of loneliness, summer days and winter nights spent without his family. What did it feel like to stroke her cheek? He can barely remember. anymore.There is a reason liches go mad. They forget their humanity, forget everything but their own lust for immortality and power. But...but he never did. Just a bit further, he thinks. Whats a couple more years to the decades he has spent, searching endlessly for anything that could help him? Now his goal is in sight.

"I hold no grudge demon. Know that. But I must continue forward, and you are in my way."

"FALL"

Just blasting the bitch. She'll stand between Vamer and his goal? No. Taste Decay+2

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Well not what he expected. The demoness's stomach proved to be dark and rather dreary. And his followers have failed to help.

"Mmmh well we'll see." Vamer says in response to her words. He's not sure he can even leave this plane anymore or at least to go to Hell. At worst he can retreat to his phylactery

From his ribcage he pulls forth the lowest floating rib, Vamer dips it into the stomach acid and infuses it with his divine energy.

"I guess you believe in keeping your friends close and your enemies closer. But I think you kept me too close." The rib stabs upward again and again, digging towards the heart. "You really should be careful about eating bones. They tend to get stuck."

Vamer pulls loose one of his ribs and infuses it with Decay+0. He digging for the demoness's heart and once he gets it he'll tear it out.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 2, 2018

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Vamer - The Fleshweaver’s Loom

So...this is hell? Vamer isn't that impressed. From what he always heard from priests he had imagined a lot more fire and brimstone. And what an odd place for him to end up. From his own reading and study of the arcane, it seems logical that these are the lower tier demons and not that smart. They must of assumed Vamers fallen form was just that of a corpse. If he had lungs he'd laugh. But right now hes looking at a demon about to start hacking him to bits.

As the cyberdemon reaches down, Vamer stops lying down like a bag of bones and reaches out to snare the incoming hand. Waves of necrotic energy pulse out into and through its body until it reaches the brain and turns it into mush. A suitable puppet thinks Vamer as he directs its corpse, using his necromancy, to help him off the belt.

As he looks up and down the belt, he sees more demons and all are engaged in the butchery of the incoming bodies. Such a shame, such a waste of good material to make an army. One to breach Hell itself from the inside out. He moves up the belt, puppet screening him from the front. Vamer just has to start his army from the demons first to get them out of the way, then make use of the parts coming down the belt...

Vamer will claim Decay+4 and use it to crush the demons around him before animating them and using them to start assembling an undead army.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Vamer - The Fleshweaver’s Loom

As he grips the nearest demon and sears it with his divine will, Vamer discovers a...connection between the undead on this plane. "Sloppy. I expected higher standards from Hell than this beginner control network. Their mistake, MY opportunity." In a blast of necrotic energy he blasts away the controller and ensnares the networks control node within himself. All around hell there is a sudden silence as the various skeletons, zombies, and so on stop whatever they're doing. In one corner of Hell a couple of imps look up to see why the skeleton had stopped turning the torture wheel only for it to fall upon. Similar scenes repeat themselves as Vamer rouses the dead of Hell to action

With these many under his control Vamer will surely find an exit swiftly. Around him on the conveyor belt he focuses his magic to create huge flesh golems, misshapen mashes of creatures to act as bodyguards. Satisfied with this, he takes his place atop a throne of bones on one such behemoth. "Onwards" he commands his minions. "Every door you will open. Every cell you will fling open. Every chain you shall break. Bring pandemonium to Hell and find me an exit while you're at it."

The flesh golems carry him forward, various undead demons and such as a vanguard. While the rest of the dead search Hell, he'll see where this belt starts at. If its bringing bodies in, surely it can take them out.

Vamer orders his undead to search for an exit and while they're doing so to just mess stuff up by freeing anything they find. Every door, every cage, every chain they can open or break they will. Meanwhile Vamer himself with his vanguard searches for the beginning of the belt. If it brings in dead bodies maybe it can take them out.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Vamer - Portal Complex

The offer the Overgod gives is...tempting. At long last, he could have his family again. All he had to do was reach out and...Vamer stared at the decayed hand he had started to put forth. Bone and sinew show beneath the rotted flesh. The horrific abomination of a fleshgolem he rode here shuffles under him. The lich hesitates. This...this is not how he wanted them to see him.

He pulls his hand back. "If...if you were to pull them out, would they be conscious? Would they be able to see me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Vamer - Portal Complex

Vamer considers the beings offer for a moment. He can not bear to turn around for fear of seeing his family...to see them see what he has become. It was not supposed to be like this. But even that will not deter him from his goal.

"Agreed but...on two conditions. They will be kept safe, until the time is ready. And you'll send me back to Isle Black, wherehence I came."

• Locked thread