Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hilary - Strange Mountain, Northern Mountains

The world Hilary knew was gone in a moment, transported by a being far beyond his ken. Suddenly it felt like he was in a new tome, in an unknown language, written in a strange code. Total mastery of his realm gave way to a sense of limitation that reminded him of his early days walking the libraries only able to read a few books a day. His people were gone, left to the care of the Overgod. The sense of the unknown and discovery was thrilling. A whole world full of new words and ideas!

He looked upon the crow people and felt pity. With their heavy packs seeking refuge perhaps they were refugees? But what especially drew his care to them was their wings. Hilary had chosen wings for his own form when he had attained that liberty. Surely the Overgod had favoured this people with Wings too and left them to Hilary's care. He had much to learn of them and this facility they were entering but before he would manifest himself directly he felt the need to show them his power and through that his heart for them.

He let himself slip from corporeality and beat his wings to send him diving into the facility. The crow people may not have noticed or even been able to read the signs as he could and would certainly have trouble navigating this place and the defenses it must have. Hilary raced around perceiving absorbing, understanding. Then when he knew the buildings structure and any traps or codes that might bar entry he set about leaving golden glowing messages in clear spots, signs that would guide the crow people safely inside and let them find places of lodging. And he also left a sigil of a book with wings that burned with a soft light.

Going to go and try and get ahead of the crow people and read the facility. See if there are plans and signs. Translate and mark the doors, hallways and defenses so that they can get in smoothly while also letting them know that they are being watched over by a benevolent force

Written Word +2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Hilary passed amongst the people unnoticed as they set up for their first night in the ruins. He noticed that some arranged their nests close to his glowing sigils, perhaps misunderstanding that they offered some kind of protection beyond pointing safe routes and indicating dangerous taps. Still he appreciated the somewhat misplaced faith and it served to motivate him to do even more to try and see that no harm befell them.

Drawing on his godly power he sought for one of the birds who might have affinity for the written word and soon he found himself drawn to one crow that had taken out some kind of tools and was seeking to record the sigils and even some of the layout of the base. Hilary watched over him as he worked late into the night, even while those around him went to sleep. Eventually this crow too succumbed to his mortal needs and it was then that Hilary entered his dreams.

The crow dreamed it was in a great library, except instead of being contained in a building the shelves extended high into the sky. As he drew closer he saw that the shelves themselves were tree and each leaf was written on as if it was a page. Plucking one of the leaves it turned from green to shining gold in his hands.

“Tell me your story.”

The bird began writing furiously and just as a golden leaf was filled another one appeared before it ready for more of the birds’ story.

Empowering one of the birds I feel an affinity for to create "The Book of Flight." Hopefully the first of their Holy Books. I hope it will contain the history of their people (allowing me to know more about them) and will serve as a cultural touchstone of the race. One they can study and debate and learn from.

Written Word +2

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

After writing the Book of Flight people began looking at Shinystudy differently. He'd always been a bit of a loner, preferring spending time thinking and examining things rather than playing or flying. But now he had done something impossible, written a book in a single night. Strange things were happening to the flock and the people still weren't sure if they should be excited or scared.

---

Hilary saw the birds flock to see the Book. It was right that they should be curious and he was pleased to see some of them already seeking to memorise it. Their language was crude but with his help he was pleased that the book of Flight was greater than the sum of its prose. But the book couldn't stay out amongst the people. Carelessly handled it could be torn or soiled. What every book needed was a library.

Seeking out a safe room deep and central to the facility Hilary began to work his power to invest it with holy power. Once he had invested it with glory he once more set about setting new sigils.

---

The other birds screeched and cawwed, rushing to Shinystudy. He had no idea what was happening before they whisked him off along the corridors. They turned into one that hadn't been marked before but now was covered with symbols and verses of the book of flight. At the end of the corridor was a door marked with a bird and a book. There was no doubt it was the Book of Flight and the bird looked like him. The other birds backed off. It seemed they could feel some terrible glory behind that door. Only Shinystudy could enter. He gulped then as he stepped toward it the door opened to a marvellous golden light that enveloped him.

Creating a holy sanctum in the centre of the facility and inviting my bird prophet to come and talk. Hoping to impress him to come out of his shell a little and lead the people. They need someone inquisitive and cautious to help them explore this facility without exploding!

Written word +2

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

To know and to be known. This was not the first time Hilary had connected with a people but it felt... different. Perhaps because they weren't human, perhaps because they had never had a God, perhaps because they had such a limited language. But despite that he felt moved by their earnestness. As he blessed Shinystudy and sent him to teach the people he felt a fresh drive to see to their wellbeing. Once more he set out to investigate his facility. To see about light, warmth, running water and the general operation of the place so that they could treat less as a convenient cave and more like a home.

---

Shinystudy left the Golden Sanctum elevated, inspired and a little confused. Though the touch of the God he'd felt his understanding, that was already considerable amongst the people, reach new heights. He was hungry to tear into those books in the library and dive into his own journey of discovery. But Hilary had charged him with teaching the people. With raising up librarian priests, scribes and authors. However, his suggested methods were learning by rote, drilling, grammar, recitation. It was hard to imagine his brothers and sisters taking well to such a stiff, formal course of education. Despite his reservations he felt his God's firm conviction that such was the proper way to learn. Thus he had been charged and thus he would endeavour. Maybe a few would take to it...?

Hilary is going to explore the facility. Hopefully if there are any read/write drives he can read them. If that's stretching it then hopefully he can find some user manuals saved for when the computers don't start up properly.

Written Word +2

Shinystudy will start trying to educate the crow people. However since Hilary is an old fashioned sort he hasn't really considered the unique pedagogical needs of his birds. However Shinystudy will try and use the "Book of Flight", his High Priestly Powers, and the Golden Sanctum library to smooth the bumps.

Obstinate -2

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Food! Water! Light!

Throughout the facility basic systems hummed into life. What had been merely a cave decorated with pieces of glass and metal finally started to hum into life. Fans began clattering as the great mountain fortress started breathing again. Shinystudy was in the midst of a class when things started fizzing and popping into life around him. At first his students squawked and flapped their wings in alarm but he squawked louder.

"Family, god of book bring blessing. Light! Food! We safe!"

When it became apparent that running water and air conditioning were far from being a threat but actually a convenience they marveled.

"Book god good! Book god good!" they chanted.

However at the end of the day Shinystudy was worried. Although he knew his God's intentions were good he feared that the birds, with their limited vocabulary, were not responding quickly to his efforts, no matter how earnest. So he knelt in prayer. As soon as he closed his eyes he could feel the Hilary's presence. However instead of understanding he felt resistance. It seemed that his God saw this as a trial. Nothing would ever be achieved without some trial. If the people were to develop they needed concentrated study. When he finished, although he still had his doubts, he redoubled his efforts. At least now he could try and find some suitable rooms to set up his school.

---

Hilary continued working through the facility. Corrupted drives? It was sad that the information contained in books was timeless but their pages were fragile things subject to the tyranny of entropy. He reached out with his divine power, perhaps he could call back the whole data from an earlier time, like restoring a digital manuscript.

Hilary is going to keep exploring the facility. This time he will focus on trying to restore corrupted data back to its original form like he would old fragments of a valuable book.

Written Word +2

Shinystudy will show the crow people how to use water and lights etc while continuing to educate the crow people. He will try and use the newly available facilities to find a lecture room, as well as the "Book of Flight", his High Priestly Powers, and the Golden Sanctum library (perhaps it might have books on teaching).

Obstinate -2

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hilary - Strange Mountain, Northern Mountains 1 MP

Hilary paused as he became aware of the presence observing them. He had believed the strange mountain uninhabited but it seemed there was something aware here. So far the crow people hadn't been attacked so perhaps it wasn't malicious, although the fact that it was corrupting the systems and denying him access meant that it wasn't friendly. Still it had been resident before the crow people and so in a sense it was due some respect. Having worked in the systems for some time now he was now more comfortable working within the code. He wasn't sure if the eyes could see his divine form, though they were sure to have seen the affects of his influence in the sigils and sanctuary. However to approach such a being with no understanding of its nature would not be worthy of a god.

No, what he needed was a messenger. A digital angel. The idea itself intrigued Hilary. Such a creature would be unlike a mere mortal formed out of the material of reality. But a creature that was born out of language to exist in a virtual reality. In essence it would be a metaphor for himself. Hilary drew to mind his knowledge of maths, literature, poetry, science. Working them together in a narrative that spoke in story to itself. A book not set in stone but standing on the stone of Hilary's own nature. A fitting messenger and herald to venture into a new plane to make contact with the unknown.

Written Word +2 and a miracle point to code an angel. Then I'll send the angel to investigate the system and contact the eyes.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Hilary smiled as his messenger delivered the report.

"Truly you have brought good tidings of Peace to this place and these people. I will call you Humphrey. May you bring peace through words or force. Now we must guide the people through the way you have opened."

---

Shinystudy had just finished his lesson when he noticed new symbols on the walls. Innately he felt that they were meant for him and so he walked. The halls lit up as he made his way deeper than ever before. The further he progressed the more he feared. While the places the crows had mostly settled so far had seemed lightly defended the imposing figures of gun emplacements and sleeping mech warriors made his feathers stand on end. Every natural instinct told him to turn and run, to seek the open sky, freedom and safety. But Shinystudy clung to his faith. The sigils guiding him and his people had yet to fail them. It was sure that the force that had led them into this fortress, that inspired him to write the book of flight, that had sanctified the golden sanctum, that force must be watching over him even now.

Finally he entered a room unlike any other. Screens, wires and consoles surrounded him. He had a basic knowledge of how to work the lights and some of the feeding terminals but he could tell this machine was the culmination of a collection of minds far greater than himself. So he waited for guidance, why had Hilary the Librarian brought him here?

Hilary is leading Shinstudy to the Control Core. Hilary hopes to reprogram the base systems to recognize Shinystudy as the new "creator/owner" and the Crow People as its inhabitants to protect.

Written Word +2

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Hilary was somewhat startled to be contacted by a strange God in the midst of his battle and... it wanted to be destroyed?! It would have been something he would have quickly ignored except he had just faced a killer golem. But could such a contraption seriously challenge something capable of this broadcast. Still it was only polite to respond. Hilary tapped into the facilities coded communication network.

“Dear Corinthian, I am also in possession of some robots. Some of which are quite adept at killing. I am sending one to you in a gesture of good faith. I hope that you are satisfied with its attempts to vaporise you. I will send it to your broadcast location with instructions to destroy whoever challenges or attacks it. Considering I am not much in need of robotic man servants perhaps you could offer me some kind of reward that would be more useful to one with our capabilities and responsibilities over this world. I look forward to a fruitful relationship.”

Hilary spoke to Humphrey.

“While I am busy with this please work with Shinystudy to start figuring out how we can best use this facility to educate and care for his people.”

I reprogram the golem to fly to Corinthian’s location and destroy whatever attacks or challenges it. And I ask Humphrey to work with Shinystudy so the crow people can properly settle into the facilities, learn how to use them and continue their education.

Written Word +2

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Hilary felt something like a pause of relief. After guiding this people into this mountain and working so hard to secure them a safe place it seemed like they finally had control. However, this was only the beginning. Now that the people's physical needs would be met it was time to see to their societal and spiritual needs. He called Shinystudy to the Golden Sanctum.

"Shinystudy, you have served me well. You have served your people well. But to carry the burden of a whole society on your shoulders is too much. Walk amongst your people. Find the wise. Find the shrewd. Find the caring. Find those who love the word. Bring them before the Sanctum so that I may give them a touch of the blessing I have given you. Then we will begin a convocation of the people and set out the statutes on which the people can be joined together in purpose."

---

When Shinystudy headed out Hilary spoke with Humphrey.

"Although the people are safe here in our home, that broadcast we received before disturbed me. Perhaps there are no more threats inside the mountain we know nothing apart from the broadcast from the madman Corinthian. Perhaps he will be a friend, though it is strange that he sought us to send destruction to him. But if the golem could not defeat us then I doubt it will give him satisfaction. I wish for you to look and see if there are any other contacts with our systems. Probe them and see if they are open or closed, friendly or hostile. Find the borders of our domain. The limits of our ability. Maybe even others who might need the Word. Go in peace."

Sending Shinystudy to gather a good mix of people to form a government/priesthood of the people. I will then bless them with Written Word +2. Then we're gonna call together a big conference of the birds with these as their representatives. If all goes well I'd like to try and draft a Ten Commandments/Code of Hammurabi/Magna Carta/Constitution next turn.

Sending Humphrey to go and use the facilities communication systems to see what we're actually connected to. Perhaps there are the remnants of a world wide web or at least communication lines connecting this facility with others like it. Maybe meet some more vault dwellers. I don't expect him to come back with a response immediately as he has the freedom to search as long as he sees fit.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Shinystudy wrestled with the rejection he had faced. Has they not seen the miracles? The tunes that guided hem? The Book of Flight? The Golden Sanctum? Shinystudy himself had been saved directly by Hilary guiding him against the great cyclopic monster that surely could have destroyed their whole race.

As he was in his deepest darkness familiar glowing tunes appeared to light his way.

“You are my prophet. If you call for darkness there will be darkness. If you call for a famine there will be a famine. If you call for death there will be death. Show this people that there can be plagues as well as plenty.”

Humphrey communicates a first greeting.

Hilary will use his abilities to activitate or deactivate the facilities systems at Shinystudy’s will. The lights, the dispensers, the security turrets and bots.

Humphrey is going to say hello!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

The fools. They sought to walk away from him? To spit in his face, defy his divinity and then expect to walk away. Hilary prepared to erase them from the face of the planet. But then he heard the voice of his prophet.

"Please."

Shinystudy was on his knees. Tears streamed from his face. He had given his all to turn the Crowe people to the true worship.

"Please let me try one more time."

Hilary deactivated the weapons systems he had armed. His heart broken that his beloved servant was on his knees begging.

"I will take the 'Book of Flight' and remind them of our history. How we have travelled so far. How you have given us this new start. Please let me try."

Hilary assented and so Shinystudy went into the Golden Sanctum and removed the precious artifact. As it touched his hands he could feel Hilary's power channeling through him into the book. He was drawing on that love that had Shinystudy had shown for his lost brothers and sisters. He took the book and set off. Knowing that either they would be saved, or damned by this next meeting.

Going after rogue Crowes because I am stubborn -2. I will try and empower the Book of Flight further with Written Word +2. If Shinystudy returns with the people we're all happy. If they reject Shinystudy then I will activate a warbot and have Humphrey pilot it over as my Angel of Vengeance to punish those who don't listen to Shinystudy.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Hilary felt like a part of himself had died when He realised Shinystudy had passed. His love for the Crowes had cost him his life. It passed accords his mind that he could punish all the Crowes for this. But his memory of his prophet’s compassion softened his heart. Instead he called out from the Golden Sanctum. A new High Priest would be needed. One who could continue Shinystudy’s legacy and one who could perform his funeral.

going to search for those who were educated by Shinystudy and had read the book of Flight for someone suitable to continue his legacy. But where Shinystudy had been compassionate this prophet will bring the law with fire. Written Word +2

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

There was a great funeral for Shinystudy. The people all wrote stories of his care and guidance. Memories of his tenacity and sacrifice. His body was lain on top of the tributes and set alight. The smoke would carry his physical remains into the sky while the words would encapsulate his spirit. Hilary watched and could see the remains of his spirit uniting with the words on the page. Drawing on his power he sought to marry his words with the spirit then draw it back into the golden sanctuary. Shinystudy could remain with his people, the first ancestor who could continue to lend his wisdom to future generations and help them to grow in knowledge.

Going to try and invite Shinystudy's spirit to remain in the Golden Sanctum amongst the volumes there to be a help for Lawbird. Perhaps inspire the people that there is life after death and inspire them to serve Hilary with even greater devotion.

Written Word +2 and the +2 from invoking my flaw.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hilary - ???

With the Crowes now having an established hierarchy and foothold in the strange mountain Hilary decided he should let them continue some of their development by themselves. Humphrey had contacted him about the other facility that this one was connected to and that he had copied a version of himself to that location. Hilary himself as a being of divine energy could communicate himself. Following Humphrey’s lead he travelled across the vast distance like information. Arriving at the new facility he greet Humphrey B.

“Humphrey B. You are different than Humphrey but similar. Both of you came from me. I will name you anew. Herbert. Now let us investigate.”

Gonna investigate this facility much the same as the last one using my written word to read the files on the systems and then to use that information to open them up, decrypt them.

Written Word +4

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hilary - Moon Base Alep

Hilary, his powers frozen for a moment felt astonishment at his sense of limitation. Could this be what existence was like for these fragile little creatures. He had known it once before but the limitless power of the divine had completely overwhelmed those memories. Still, he felt he could understand why these things would treat him this way, and perhaos that would be a bridge to dialogue.

"Greetings. I bear you no ill will. I hope you in turn wish no harm to me. I ask that you free me so we can talk reasonably. If you continue to restrain me without cause or seek to further your power over me I will be forced to defend myself. I sent my herald who did not inform me of your presence so I assumed this facility was abandoned as was the facility I came from and I did not mean to intrude without warning. Will you parlay?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hilary - Moon Base Alep

“Well met Aaron. It seems you have me at something of a disadvantage. You are obviously a people of means to be able to stun a god yet you speak of peril. You also contained Herbert, who is more than a mere servitor. I have done some research on the facility I left on the surface but I had no idea of your presence or purpose here. On the matter of the facility I also helped a race of bird people to settle there since they were fleeing persecution. I did face one golem there that was a challenge to deal with but it seemed influenced by some power beyond simple programming. Perhaps you could help me understand more of the situation here and in the place I came from and I could see if I could do something for you. I would hope that if you are satisfied with a miracle perhaps you could offer me some reverence.”

• Locked thread