Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 7 years!)

Vox Day's comic book crowdfunder turned out be be less successful than his enormous wad would suggest.

https://medium.com/@Death_Ray/the-menace-of-doc-vox-b5b070a8af4c

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/theisb/status/925389585403842560

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Nice. Thanks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So I'm hearing Image hired serial abuser Scott Allie after he was fired from dark horse??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

So I'm hearing Image hired serial abuser Scott Allie after he was fired from dark horse??

He's freelance, and Image contracted with him to curate an anthology, so not *quite* the same.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

He's freelance, and Image contracted with him to curate an anthology, so not *quite* the same.

https://www.cbr.com/image-comics-where-we-live/ posted:

The anthology will include a variety of artwork meant to start an ongoing conversation about compassion in society, mental health stigmatization, gun violence and the importance of fostering conversations about the above issues.

Yeah the guy who the industry covered up for what 15 years? is deffo who I want on this project. I bet he knows a lot about compassion in the industry and the importance of fostering conversations about issues

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh, I'm not saying he's the right person for the job, just saying it's not like he's a permanent employee.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So what is the moral difference between hiring a known serial assaulter who just got fired for being a serial assaulter for a work for hire charity gig and a permanent employee?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

site posted:

So what is the moral difference between hiring a known serial assaulter who just got fired for being a serial assaulter for a work for hire charity gig and a permanent employee?

I really mean no disrespect, but I just feel like most people don't care about this stuff as much as you do. So it probably doesn't cross their mind at all when they make hiring decisions.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno if you're doing it intentionally but on the off chance you're not actually just a piece of poo poo I guess I'll spell it out,

that is literally The Problem

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Death Ray posted:

Vox Day's comic book crowdfunder turned out be be less successful than his enormous wad would suggest.

https://medium.com/@Death_Ray/the-menace-of-doc-vox-b5b070a8af4c

This picture is the stuff of nightmares.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A Strange Aeon posted:

I really mean no disrespect, but I just feel like most people don't care about this stuff as much as you do. So it probably doesn't cross their mind at all when they make hiring decisions.

I'm sorry but I'm still hosed up over most people don't see abuse and assault as a real problem maybe you're just taking this to seriously as an excuse offered up by someone here this is some gross poo poo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He’s right though. They really don’t care what he’s done, that’s been pretty obvious.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe I was hasty in my phrasing, I'm not disagreeing with the premise, because they are right.

I'm taking offense at the notion of "well that's comics :shrug:" as a way to handwave away dealing with or even acknowledging that that fact in in of itself is the problem

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sadly most people don't care and that is the problem. Maybe start tweeting at Image people and try and bring some awareness on this.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Image doesn't really contract people to do anything?

JH Williams III appears to be the person who spearheaded this anthology, and in the press release written by JHW3 he says (emphasis mine):

quote:

I felt like something needed to be done to help in a unique way. A week passed before the shock cleared enough to decide I wanted to help create a benefit book project for the survivors, along with oversight from Eric Stephenson, Scott Allie, Dave Stewart and Wendy Wright-Williams. I’m thankful for them and Image Comics offering so quickly to do this.
So Image is agreeing to publish this through what I assume is their standard clearinghouse protocol, and JHW3 has Eric Stephenson (Image publisher), Dave Stewart (colorist for a ton of people), Wendy Wright-Williams (his wife), and Scott Allie (former Dark Horse editor) to 'curate' the project.

It's understandable to think continued work/collaboration with Allie or anyone of his ilk is gross, but this really seems like it's down to the Williamses more than "Image Comics" as an organization, though much like the whole Howard Chaykin/Divided States of Hysteria thing, I suppose you could object to their entire foundational ethos of not imposing any sort of editorial control/oversight. It really sounds like it was Williams's choice to involve Allie though, not anyone from Image.

EDIT: I also see why having Stephenson as one of the curators may well set this apart from I dunno, a random issue of Stray Bullets in that it has more of an official imprimatur from Image Central, though also if we go down that path so many people worked with Allie in the years/decades this was not even an open secret but an established fact, not to mention the number of people who willingly worked with [insert other publicly exposed bad actor] here that I feel like it would be legitimately hard to purchase a vaguely mainstream action/superhero comic in good conscience by these standards.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 1, 2017

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

site posted:

I dunno if you're doing it intentionally but on the off chance you're not actually just a piece of poo poo I guess I'll spell it out,

that is literally The Problem

Okay, I'll take your word for it that I'm a piece of poo poo for pointing out the obvious fact that no one at Image cares, because if they cared about this guy as much as you did, then they wouldn't have hired him.

In an ideal world, what would you want to see happen? Like, enough people raise a fuss on twitter, and Brian K Vaughn speaks out against this guy, refusing to write more Saga until Image publicly rescinds their offer to him, and then all of BKV's fans boycott Image and burn effigies of Spawn in the street to express their displeasure? And everybody stops watching the Walking Dead and it gets cancelled and finally Image realizes their plummeting revenues are because they hired this guy and they say "Hey, we're sorry--he's gone and won't be coming back and we'll never do it again"?

I'm not trying to be combative, I just really don't understand The Solution you're envisioning to The Problem, nor how ethics should be influencing my own consumption. Like, what comic books do you read and how do you know some lovely person didn't have a hand in their creation? Is there a list somewhere of all comics writers/artists/colorists/letterers/etc. who are terrible? And does a publisher giving work to one of those people mean the publisher itself should be considered to be enabling bad ideas and supporting bad people, and therefore that publisher should not be given our money? And are the people who read that publisher's work also culpable and pieces of poo poo for supporting the publisher that is paying the terrible person?

I know the "there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism" meme, but that doesn't strike me as the way things have to be, or the way you would want the world to function, so I'm curious what you do want, and how you see a path to that world.

edit--replace Image with the Williamses based on E&C's post, with appropriate examples, I guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait that last paragraph confuses me are you arguing there is no ethical consumption under capitalism and so why bother caring, or are you arguing it shouldn't be that way but sites reaction is still wrong because ???

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait that last paragraph confuses me are you arguing there is no ethical consumption under capitalism and so why bother caring, or are you arguing it shouldn't be that way but sites reaction is still wrong because ???

I don't know if I can post here since it's November now, but no, I don't even think sites' reaction is wrong. I just want to know how you take those feelings of things being wrong in the world and turn them into actions that lead to things being correct. I don't like that ethical consumption meme, I think it's a defeatist way of thinking that engenders more thoughtless consumption.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Wrong thread. My bad.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 1, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

So when Scott Allie would randomly bite people, was it like a hard chomp? Was he an equal-opportunity biter of men and women? Did anyone ever push him off or kick his rear end over it? I'm not saying anyone had to, but if someone bit me, that might be my first impulsive reaction, if I wasn't too shocked to react at all. Did he really wield so much power at Dark Horse (the #4 publisher at best) that the entire industry was afraid of retaliating against him or even speaking out against him?

I don't mean to sound insensitive toward any of his victims at all, or any victims of any assault. That couldn't be further from what I mean here. But in a largely male-dominated industry, you'd think he would have tried that poo poo with the wrong person at some point, like a big guy like Greg Capullo or someone who wouldn't take that from anyone and would hurt him back, like Jim Steranko.

I think X-O would prefer we keep this line of discussion in the new thread he made so I'm gonna respond over there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836728&pagenumber=6#lastpost

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I think X-O would prefer we keep this line of discussion in the new thread he made so I'm gonna respond over there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836728&pagenumber=6#lastpost

Thank you. I apologize, X-O!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
November thread should be V for Vendetta themed.

Remember remember.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

November thread should be V for Vendetta themed.

Remember remember.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I can do a quick and dirty thread for November if no-one has done one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Quick and dirty November thread is up

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839311

• Locked thread