Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I have been re-reading Sandman lately and while "24 Hours" remains one of the creepiest, most horrific comics I have ever read, I got to say the stories with Kelly Jones artwork remains spooky as gently caress.
I really dig Jones' artwork in general, and I think his run on Batman with Moench is a classic case of bringing Batman closer to his gothic roots. Jones is able to do some great stuff with distorted, grotesque bodies and things that look larger and more abnormal than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Stan Lee no!

It's going to be Ethan van Sciver, isn't it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Man I feel so out of the loop when it comes to SA stuff. I just come to this forum to enjoy discussing comic book stuff with people who like comic book things. Also my hot take: comics are the worst.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I heard the KFC/Green Lantern ones are pretty funny.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I still blame you!

If you made it before my reg date then you wasted your time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zoro posted:

I decided to pick up Fighting American #1 on a whim. It feels like a bit of missed opportunity, but I guess it depends where it goes. Basically, Jack Kirby made an expy of his own character, Captain America, in the 1950s. This is that character, the Fighting American, as he chases a communist supervillain into the far-off year of 2017. The main strength is how much is written like a golden age comic. Like, they actually do a decent job of getting that voice. In that same breathe, while the clash of modern and 50s is a theme, they have avoided it being too obnoxious, as these stories can go, but it also feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. It's mostly just been jokes -- "detroit must not make cars like they used" -- but, someone who fully buys into American exceptionalism being thrown into 2017 -- Vietnam, War on Terror, 9/11, Bush Jr., Trump -- could be used to tell a lot more stories about the clash of that and, well, a lot of uncomfortable realities that happened since the 50s. Especially having to take them in all at once.

I'll pick up issue #2 because it gave me enough to be willing to see where it goes.

My main issue is that art is a little ugly.

And if I am not mistaken, Captain America is an expy of The Shield, owned by Archie Comics. America was really clamoring for patriotic themed superheroes with shields back in the 40's.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I mean he doesn't believe in all that stuff but I always took Captain Nazi to be the opposite of Captain America

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I avoid all comic book controversies by assuming all comic fans are the worst and ignoring them. Except for you guys. You aren't the worst.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Slott, the only comic I read by him was Arkham: Living Hell which I enjoyed the hell out of. Having never read his Spiderman stuff I think his total output of only one story is excellent.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Today Gord Downie from the band Tragically Hip passed away after suffering my brain cancer for over a year. All of Canada knew about this and the band did a farewell tour last year. During that time he also released a solo album called Secret Path, a concept album about a young Aboriginal child named Chanie who was taken away from his family and put into a residential school . The story of Charlie is a true story, and the abuse at the residential schools was real too. Aboriginal children were taken away from their family and forced to "assimilate" into white Canadian culture, often through abuse and neglect. It is a painful part of Canadian history, and a history that many are still coming to terms with now.
Downie wrote the album about Chanie in collaboration with Jeff Lemire (yes the Jeff Lemire of every single comic being made right now). Lemire created a graphic novel to go along with the music from the album (with the song lyrics being printed every few pages). The album itself is very sad and at time painful to listen to, and to hear the songs while reading the comic makes the experience even more affecting. Last year the CBC produced a short film animating Lemire's artwork while the music played over the film like a soundtrack.
Today Gord Downie, a man who's music touched a lot of Canadians, passed away. Below is a link to that CBC short animated film featuring his music and Lemire's artwork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGd764YU9yc&t=509s

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Walk and rock don't really rhyme though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Are you British? Is this a British thing like when a bunch of people didn't think Squirrel Girl rhymed?

They're a hell of a lot closer to each other than how I used to think Greg Pak's last name sounded.

I speak the Queen's English thank you very much

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zoro posted:

How do British people say "Squirrel" that makes it not rhythm with "Girl"? Which weird, backwards abortion of a pronunciation do they perform?

Sque-rel G'irl. -irl doesn't rhyme with -rel.

edit: you guys make more forced rhymes than Etrigan.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I heard that the Bostonian accent was very close to colonial English accents, but I have no idea how true that is.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I can do a quick and dirty thread for November if no-one has done one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Quick and dirty November thread is up

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839311

• Locked thread