Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
gently caress me, that Adani. Wow. Just Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

tithin posted:

Is there a transcript anywhere? heard an interview from someone from 4corners on the radio on the way home this evening that basically said "indians can't believe the australians haven't done their due dilligence on this shitheap of a company"

What are you talking about? The LNP and Labour DID do their due diligence. Adani will bribe them without a thought and do it willingly without prompt. 'Corse the bribes are as low as 10-50K, while Adani gets Billions in return in tax-free havens AND gets a Billion dollars "loan" (that will never be paid back).

Add in a few 100thousand for party "donations" and you got yourself a coal mine.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The union representing Streets ice-cream factory workers will urge the public to boycott its products including Paddle Pop, Golden Gaytime and Magnum over the summer if the company terminates their agreement on pay and conditions.

The Australian Manufacturing Workers Union said it was planning to organise a boycott of Streets ice-creams including the icon Paddle Pop if multinational Unilever, which owns Streets, proceeded with its application in the Fair Work Commission to terminate the current enterprise agreement.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bpycott Gaytime is not a campaign to be running now

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
gently caress gaytime thats scab icecream

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Ian Roberts weeps as working-class fans go wild for Macklemore's NRL show

All is context. Sunday evening at the Olympic Stadium, a balmy spring evening. As the pre-match entertainment is getting underway for the NRL Rugby League Grand Final, no fewer than 80,000 people – gathered for what amounts to the climax of an annual national festival of hyper-masculinity – stirred restlessly. Among them, right on my left in the NRL box, Ian Roberts is clearly nervous.
Now, Roberts is two things. I have long held he is the toughest footballer to pull on a boot, at least that I have seen. His view is, he is also among the gayest men who ever lived, having never felt the slightest flicker of sexual interest in females, ever. It was the way he was born and when he declared his sexuality in 1995, while still playing, it was enormous news. To this day he remains the only male professional footballer in Australia to have done so.

So now, why nervous? Because a month ago, when Roberts had written to NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg suggesting the NRL itself come out in support of same-sex marriage, Greenberg replied instantly they would do exactly that, which was one thing. Subsequently, Greenberg also announced the pre-match entertainment would be the American rapper, Macklemore, and he would sing his anthem to marriage equality, Same Love.
Hence, Roberts' nervousness. The NRL's stance had caused enormous controversy. At the height of the same-sex marriage debate, here was a sporting organisation, taking political sides! All of Tony Abbott, Cory Bernardi and Peter Dutton had been bitterly critical, receiving support in their criticism by large chunks of the commentariat, and swathes of talkback for starters.

So how would this pure rugby league crowd react, these folk tried and true, these truest of blue, in this most working class of games? Would they boo? Would they hiss? Turn their backs? If so, it would be a disaster, and vindication for the critics.
Ladies and gentlemen . . . please welcome . . . Macklemore!

Comfortingly, when the rapper, who is straight, pranced and danced on to the stage, the crowd erupts!
But you ain't seen nothing yet. For when he gets to the song that everyone had been waiting for, and utters those first lines -

- the NRL crowd simply EXPLODES.
They stomp they cheer, they sing along, they turn the lights of their iPhones on, and wave them in rhythm, instantly turning the arena into a massive sparkling wonderland.

Beside me, Roberts holds the hand of his partner, Daniel, and weeps. This is how far rugby league has come since the days where "yer a poofta", was the ultimate put-down for anyone who was different. As Macklemore gets to the end of the song and the league fans stand on their seats and cheer themselves hoarse, Roberts weeps some more.
Now, according to Peter Dutton, at this point Macklemore should have been cleared off the stage to allow equal time for a "no" campaign song – presumably the choir from the Australian Christian Lobby, singing Onwards Christian Soldiers or the like. But would they have even been heard?

So rapturous is the reception for the anthem, so wild in support is the crowd, it would have been rather beside the point. It is a phenomenal response, from the people, giving answer with full cry as to what they think about it, just as they had already given answer in a different context, to Cory Bernardi's bitter criticism of $900 fund-raising campaign by a South Australian school, which involved males wearing dresses, by giving $250,000.
As Macklemore leaves to a standing ovation, Roberts goes to find Greenberg, to personally thank him for both his support of same-sex marriage and his inspiration in picking this particular singer – and holding the line at insisting the rapper sing that particular song.
There he is, Ian, just off your starboard quarter, talking to some heavy-weight sponsors. Roberts closes fast, and the two men warmly embrace for a moment where mere handshakes won't do, and only a hug will pass muster.
"Ian," your humble correspondent makes clear from the gunnels, "you have the right to remain silent. But anything you say, can and will be used in my Sydney Morning Herald column. What did you make of that?"
Roberts, rises to the occasion.
"It will save lives," Roberts said. "Simple as that. It will save lives."
His point is a beauty. For all those troubled teens, alone in the dark as he was all those years ago, agonised over their sexuality, the lesson of that anthem being sung on that occasion, is clear. You are not alone. And not only do many people feel an attraction to their same gender, and not only should it be no big deal one way or another, but even the most macho of sports recognises that. And in short order, the state itself will likely pass legislation to say you'll have equal rights in marriage, too.
How far we've come.
So, one more time for the road, Macklemore, as you make your way to Charles Kingsford Smith Airport, give it a burst, and about 60 to 70 per cent of us will sing along with you:

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/opinion/ian-roberts-weeps-as-workingclass-fans-go-wild-for-macklemores-nrl-show-20171001-gys8gk.html

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsT7atNROBc

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

cohsae posted:

In case you need any cool tunes to accompany this thread.

Once again, I humbly submit my marriage equality anthem, 'Father, Why Don't You Kiss a Man?'

https://patrickalexander.bandcamp.com/track/father-why-dont-you-kiss-a-man

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The only government MP not to put his name to a dissenting report rejecting a federal parliamentary paper criticising the NBN has said he believes some of the complaints about its rollout have merit.

The Victorian Nationals MP Andrew Broad said he had not signed a report criticising the findings of a cross-parliamentary committee on the rollout of the national broadband network as he thought it would be “disingenuous”, because other work had prevented him from taking part in much of the committee’s “listening tour” in which it heard customer complaints.

But the Mallee MP said he had seen problems with the rollout first-hand as his constituents struggled to make their services work, and he had been forced to dedicate one of his electoral officers to dealing with the complaints.

“When Telstra used to be government-owned, you had Telstra Countrywide and you had people you could direct people to,” he said. “Now, with NBN, it is sort of faceless.

“You’ve got retailers blaming the service provider and then they get exasperated and they come into our office and you end up having to spend all your time having to sort it out.

“We almost have a person full-time on mobile phone and NBN issues in our electoral office – which is ridiculous – that is not the role of an MP.”

The joint standing committee established to investigate the rollout of the NBN was made up of seven Labor MPs, five MPs from the Liberal party and one MP each from the Nationals, the Nick Xenophon Team, the Greens and One Nation and the independent Cathy McGowan.

It made its first report public on Friday and, in its 162 pages, was heavily critical of the process so far and included numerous reports of how service delivery had gone wrong for customers.

The committee made 23 recommendations, including new regulations for fault repair times, better recourse for customers when things went wrong and a tougher enforcement powers for the regulator to ensure that NBN Co, the company charged with delivering and overseeing the network, acted within reasonable timeframes to fix faults.

But a dissenting report was included from government MPs, who defended both the rollout and how it had been executed, rejecting the need for further regulation.

Broad, the Nationals representative, was the only Coalition MP on the committee not to sign the dissenting report put forward by the chairwoman, Sussan Ley.

He said while he believed there was some politics at play with the committee’s report, he also did not think its recommendations should be dismissed out of hand, including the calls for increased transparency and accountability.

“In the final report there are some good recommendations,” he said. “One of the recommendations I thought was quite relevant to my patch – when communities are told they are going to get something and then they don’t … It is not adequate and not transparent.”

A spokeswoman for NBN Co said it welcomed the report and would look “closely” at the recommendations but said “no large-scale construction project has ever been problem-free”.

“With a workforce of close to 30,000 people digging trenches, hauling cable, climbing poles and going into people’s yards and homes, there are inevitably going to be some issues,” she said. “This is especially the case as the rollout has hit an unprecedented pace, with tens of thousands of homes connecting every week.

“We need to maintain the balance of getting broadband to people as quickly as possible while minimising these problems.”

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

bad op

bad country

bad first reply to this thread

just bad all round

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

You Am I posted:

bad op

bad country

bad first reply to this thread

just bad all round

In correct auspol protocol, these are now the fault of last months op.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
God I hate George Christensen, if I had a boat i'd gladly tow him out to the reef and leave him there as a buoy.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Tarantula posted:

God I hate George Christensen, if I had a boat i'd gladly tow him out to the reef and leave him there as a buoy.

you're gonna need a bigger boat

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Tarantula posted:

This one is actually funny, because with greater workers rights she probably would have had some protection from unemployment.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tarantula posted:

it's important to remember that George Christensen is a virgin.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-02/toyota-and-holden-factories-to-shut-down/9008312?WT.ac=statenews_vic

The last parts of Australian car manufacturing dies this month.

Holy poo poo the comments from morons who say it's the unions fault that the companies are stopping car production in Australia, and that the workers were overpaid :(

Alls quiet from Turnbull, no Federal assistance given to Toyota workers. I guess if they were manufacturing coal they would be billions of slush fund money to play with.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You Am I posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-02/toyota-and-holden-factories-to-shut-down/9008312?WT.ac=statenews_vic

The last parts of Australian car manufacturing dies this month.

Holy poo poo the comments from morons who say it's the unions fault that the companies are stopping car production in Australia, and that the workers were overpaid :(

Alls quiet from Turnbull, no Federal assistance given to Toyota workers. I guess if they were manufacturing coal they would be billions of slush fund money to play with.

That's depressing. I remember reading similar things in AI about the UAW when GM were having problems a few years ago. The pure rage and sense of injustice that these people actually had good working conditions and were paid a reasonable wage was mind boggling. No consideration that maybe if they worked in a unionised industry they too could enjoy reasonable working conditions, just pure spite.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

open24hours posted:

That's depressing. I remember reading similar things in AI about the UAW when GM were having problems a few years ago. The pure rage and sense of injustice that these people actually had good working conditions and were paid a reasonable wage was mind boggling. No consideration that maybe if they worked in a unionised industry they too could enjoy reasonable working conditions, just pure spite.
You see it all the time, even in companies where there is a union presence, you'll get people who rage about "unions mucking up the work place" then complaining about being asked to do constant overtime and getting extra tea breaks cut.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
You'd think gun control would be a settled issue here, but Bolt wrote a pro-gun control post in response to Las Vegas and his commenters largely responded with standard "guns don't kill people" rhetoric and the argument that we need arms to protect against "leftist terrorists". I love that he is utterly beholden to these nutjobs. He had to do a complete 180 after denouncing Trump because they savaged him over it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Internet leading to a homogenisation of the right. Bolt's readers probably spend so much time exposed to Americans going off about gun rights that some of it rubs off.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

open24hours posted:

Internet leading to a homogenisation of the right. Bolt's readers probably spend so much time exposed to Americans going off about gun rights that some of it rubs off.

Yep so much of it is regurgitated from the US. I've seen Aussies on Facebook declaring that the civil war was about state's rights.
The Living Soul is a SovCit which is a movement from the US.
IIRC Bernardi and other MPs have gone to the US to learn the tricks of the conservative shithead trade.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

open24hours posted:

Makes sense. I wonder how then they would explain our zero massacres vs. their monthly massacres. Or if they have even considered this.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

Makes sense. I wonder how then they would explain our zero massacres vs. their monthly massacres. Or if they have even considered this.

"Cultural differences" or "thugs" or "fake news" or "not relevant".

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

snoremac posted:

The American gun nut talking point is that the Australian gun buyback increased violent crime by making it harder for people to defend themselves.

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008

snoremac posted:

They'll take any crime involving a firearm in Australia as evidence that gun control doesn't work. It's one of those things that really makes sense on an individual level: If I have a firearm I can defend myself from those crimes. It's harder to consider to impact of firearm proliferation to society and how that gives rise to increased crime/accidents involving firearms.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

"Cultural differences" or "thugs" or "fake news" or "not relevant".

america isn't a homogeneous society like other nations therefore white ethnostate now

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The real argument is that it doesn't matter/it's a small price to pay. e.g. https://www.billoreilly.com/b/Mass-Murder-in-Las-Vegas/851098107399788721.html

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

open24hours posted:

Some of them are still pissed about Howard's response to Port Arthur.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snoremac posted:

There's been an average of one 4+fatality shooting per day this year in the US.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Last night family dinner with the fiancees parents led to a gigantic fight over the postal vote which was fun.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Guns are one of those cultural things for Americans that we don't really understand. Some American was claiming on the news that "a lot of people have the same views as us" ie guns are bad, but that's not my experience with your average suburban American.

It just makes our appropriation of their culture in preference to whatever we could do ourselves that much weirder.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

There's been an average of one 4+fatality shooting per day this year in the US.

That's insane.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The wife's stepdad paid a visit last week. Apropos of nothing during a lull in gardening conversation he blurts out "It's okay to vote 'no'. " as a segue into a rant about how people are too afraid to bring up AIDS anymore. Then shares a funny anecdote about how his friend has threatened all family members with being removed from the will for voting yes.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

The American gun nut talking point is that the Australian gun buyback increased violent crime by making it harder for people to defend themselves.

I like the ones that think the Howard bans were a blanket ban on all private gun ownership and comment as such.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/914718113857380352

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pocket Billiards posted:

The wife's stepdad paid a visit last week. Apropos of nothing during a lull in gardening conversation he blurts out "It's okay to vote 'no'. " as a segue into a rant about how people are too afraid to bring up AIDS anymore. Then shares a funny anecdote about how his friend has threatened all family members with being removed from the will for voting yes.

Similar to how yesterday went. Her mum talking about how it's ok to vote no because everyone deserves an opinion led into a story about how years ago they had a lesbian couple as neighbours and they were awful ripping off the system because despite being a couple they were treated by welfare as two single people, and it's the yes campaign that have been hurting people by not thinking about how their words impact others. Was a hosed up evening.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Similar to how yesterday went. Her mum talking about how it's ok to vote no because everyone deserves an opinion led into a story about how years ago they had a lesbian couple as neighbours and they were awful ripping off the system because despite being a couple they were treated by welfare as two single people, and it's the yes campaign that have been hurting people by not thinking about how their words impact others. Was a hosed up evening.

But what... I if SSM passes then they wouldn't be treated as singles and wouldn't be able to to rort the system and steal your welfare. Demand SSM now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

NRL’s Macklemore choice has blown up in its face, Eric Abetz says

Liberal senator Eric Abetz says Macklemore’s previous claims that George Bush was responsible for the September 11 twin towers terror attack shows the NRL’s entertainment choice of the US rapper has “blown up in its face”.

Same-sex marriage opponents including former prime minister Tony Abbott have accused the NRL of attempting to politicise sport by inviting Macklemore to perform his hit gay rights anthem Same Love at Sunday’s grand final.

In Macklemore’s 2005 track “Bush Song”, he rapped: “Where’s Dick Cheney at? Probably off in Iraq / Findin’ some oil to tap, tell ’em I got up on that / And y’all still think it was bin Laden / When it was us and the Masons, plottin’ on oil profits.”

In 2009, the Grammy Award winning hip-hop artist formerly known as Ben Haggerty tweeted: “911 ... bush knocked down the towers”.

Macklemore, 34, has also been accused of anti-Semitism, performing in Seattle in 2014 as a Jewish caricature with a giant prosthetic hooked nose, dark beard and bowl cut wig.

Senator Abetz said Macklemore’s history showed the NRL’s “rush to become political activists” was a disaster.

Liberal senator Eric Abetz says Macklemore’s previous claims that George Bush was responsible for the September 11 twin towers terror attack shows the NRL’s entertainment choice of the US rapper has “blown up in its face”.

Same-sex marriage opponents including former prime minister Tony Abbott have accused the NRL of attempting to politicise sport by inviting Macklemore to perform his hit gay rights anthem Same Love at Sunday’s grand final.

In Macklemore’s 2005 track “Bush Song”, he rapped: “Where’s Dick Cheney at? Probably off in Iraq / Findin’ some oil to tap, tell ’em I got up on that / And y’all still think it was bin Laden / When it was us and the Masons, plottin’ on oil profits.”

In 2009, the Grammy Award winning hip-hop artist formerly known as Ben Haggerty tweeted: “911 ... bush knocked down the towers”.

Macklemore, 34, has also been accused of anti-Semitism, performing in Seattle in 2014 as a Jewish caricature with a giant prosthetic hooked nose, dark beard and bowl cut wig.

Senator Abetz said Macklemore’s history showed the NRL’s “rush to become political activists” was a disaster.

“Fans I think will be horrified to learn that their expensive tickets not only helped subsidise the Yes campaign but put money in the pocket of a 9/11 denier,” Senator Abetz said.

“Their CEO Todd Greenberg’s assertion that it was the NRL’s bravest decision has now been exposed as its dumbest decision.”

Senator Abetz said the argument that support for Macklemore’s right to perform his song did not equate to support for his controversial political views would be “completely understandable”, but for the NRL’s “manic determination to promote the Yes campaign in the face of many of their supporters disagreeing with them”.

“People join NRL clubs to support the sport and to support the activity of young people and all the good that flows from that and not to have their money and efforts diverted into extraneous political campaigns,” he said.

Senator Abetz said the claim that Mr Abbott had called for Macklemore’s song to be banned was inaccurate.

“Let’s be clear, nobody’s calling for a ban,” he said.

“It’s just that sport should remain as sport and not be infused with political content.”

Mr Abbott earlier this week tweeted in support of a petition calling for the NRL to “take politics out of footy”, saying: “Footy fans shouldn’t be subjected to a politicised grand final. Sport is sport!”

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says he respects Mr Abbott’s right to have his say on the matter.

“If people want to express views on songs or anything else they’re entitled to do so, but I’m for free speech and in this case for the artist’s right to sing his song,” he told the Nine Network.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...60ecedfd70d421c

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 3, 2017

• Locked thread