Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

People in general are not that smart, and not that creative. They tend to follow the example of others. We should provide less reward (fame) to people for being asshats, and stop vigorously highlighting examples of lovely behavior, because people *will* imitate it.
And demonising them doesn't help, because some people in choosing between being remembered as a monster or not be remembered at all will choose the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

timma85 posted:

I feel like the internet undercuts that whole idea. Even if 24/7 news didn't mention the guys name weirdos on the internet would find out and spread it around.

You mean like Harry Potter and Game of Thrones spoilers?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Collateral Damage posted:

And demonising them doesn't help, because some people in choosing between being remembered as a monster or not be remembered at all will choose the former.

That's literally what we're doing now?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Marilou Danley is no longer a POI

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/861232/las-vegas-shooting-mandalay-bay-marilou-danley-strip-dead-gunman-suspect/amp

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

It's not about how they're portrayed it's about how visible they are

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

Thoughts with no particular order or organization:

The man was a 64 year old with a pilot's license who lived in an upscale retirement home. I suppose it's possible he had a transferable machine gun.

Surely most of the injured were from trampling?

Maybe he had one of those gimmick crank triggers? From a bipod or some fixed position would that be possible to use with any accuracy

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: that said, the best way to snap the linkage between politics and guns is to take non-gun-owning friends shoot them and introduce them to the hobby in as apolitical an atmosphere as possible.

I agree though that political chat doesn't really work nor belong in this subforum. D&D is a thing and last I checked they had a thread about guns. Sounds like hell, but what political chat isn't.

The "unperson" thing is interesting, but I can never see it working as everyone just has to know.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy

Parents are safe and glad they aren't fans of country.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Black Lives Matter

All people see when they look at gun owners (including this forum,) all they see is a bunch of tiny dicked fascists and racist clowns and that includes other gun owners. There are other gun owning goons who never look at this forum much less post on it because they assume we are a bunch of KKK survivalist nutjobs.

This is all because those morons who really are those things shut down dissenting options within the hobby because we "have to present a unified front to the enemy"but guess what? From the outside that united front looks like a bunch of klansmen goose stepping down a street paved with murdered country music fans.

Telling me to go to some little ghetto of a political forum we're I'll be told to shut up (though for a different reason) is making the problem worse.

We gun owners have a problem and we need to address it not ignore it until it kills us.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mortabis posted:

Surely most of the injured were from trampling?

I'm sure this is part of it but I'm hearing amateur analysis of 1K rounds fired into a massive concert crowd. I could see over half being gunshot wounds very easily.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Mortabis posted:

Maybe he had one of those gimmick crank triggers? From a bipod or some fixed position would that be possible to use with any accuracy

This sounds more like a crank.

https://mobile.twitter.com/abbytheodros/status/914735456943607808

Also I don't think accuracy is really much of a factor when shooting at a crowd consisting of tens of thousands of people.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 2, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

stealie72 posted:

Shamelessly stolen from GiP current events thread.

That's definitely something like a slidefire or other quasi-legal means of achieving full auto. A proper full auto gun (even an illegal conversion) would have a consistent rate of fire, but that's all over the place.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

https://www.facebook.com/news6/videos/10155792811507210/

The guy's brother lives in Orlando and he looks absolutely devastated.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

There's a tiny part of me that hopes the dude had a room full of select-fire guns stolen from the ATF.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Numlock posted:

I want to talk to other gun owners about gun politics and related poo poo.

You can do exactly that at arfcom, castboolits, the firing line, the high road and probably every manufacturer forum.

MazelTovCocktail
Jun 23, 2012

Gritty's gonna cut you.

[quote="“Blotto Skorzany”" post="“476977235”"]
You can do exactly that at arfcom, castboolits, the firing line, the high road and probably every manufacturer forum.
[/quote]

Hey don't forget the Hi Point Forums you savage.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Numlock posted:

All people see when they look at gun owners (including this forum,) all they see is a bunch of tiny dicked fascists and racist clowns and that includes other gun owners. There are other gun owning goons who never look at this forum much less post on it because they assume we are a bunch of KKK survivalist nutjobs.

This is all because those morons who really are those things shut down dissenting options within the hobby because we "have to present a unified front to the enemy"but guess what? From the outside that united front looks like a bunch of klansmen goose stepping down a street paved with murdered country music fans.

Telling me to go to some little ghetto of a political forum we're I'll be told to shut up (though for a different reason) is making the problem worse.

We gun owners have a problem and we need to address it not ignore it until it kills us.

This is exactly why we don't do political discussion here any more. I'm not going to attempt to be an arbiter of what is correct, permissible political speech. In a perfect world I would let everyone have their say and let them try their ideas against each other. Hell, this is the exact reason why I set the old political thread up with the stipulation that personal attacks weren't an OK thing. The problem is that it isn't about political discussion any more, it's about outing the people who think wrong.

If you want to fight the perception that gun owners are tiny dicked fascists then go out there and be a visible, accessible, not dick gun owner. I can't count the number of times people I know from non-TFR threads on SA have contacted me about this that or the other gun thing because they have gotten the impression that I'm 1) not a dick and 2) know about guns. One of the final straws that made me kill the political thread was a LGBTQ poster form another forum pointing to it as their "hell no" reason for coming to me rather than going to TFR in general with self defense questions. I made a decision that I would rather this place settle into being as apolitical as possible in order to be a place where people could feel comfortable getting information about firearms - both as a hobby and as a form of defense - regardless of their personal beliefs or political affiliation.

This isn't just a TFR problem, it's a larger problem with the hyper partisan political atmosphere that we've got today. You can't throw a rock without finding someone with a story about how they no longer talk to their cousin or un-friended someone on FB because of politics.

Anyways, it's not going to change for now. Let's try to keep this thread focused on Vegas and not on whether or not I'm a good mod.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Anyone thing tragedy burnout is a thing? This is a horrible event and I should be moved by it but I just can't seem to care about this. I'm not trying to sound like some internet hardass or a sociopath but I seriously don't feel anything about this beyond a sort of shoulder shrugish business as usual sensation. It strikes me as strange.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Craptacular posted:

This sounds more like a crank.

https://mobile.twitter.com/abbytheodros/status/914735456943607808

Also I don't think accuracy is really much of a factor when shooting at a crowd consisting of tens of thousands of people.

Yeah it does. Hrm.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Hopefully he wasn't using a shoelace

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Jeremy_X posted:

Anyone thing tragedy burnout is a thing? This is a horrible event and I should be moved by it but I just can't seem to care about this. I'm not trying to sound like some internet hardass or a sociopath but I seriously don't feel anything about this beyond a sort of shoulder shrugish business as usual sensation. It strikes me as strange.

Compassion fatigue is a real thing, usually affecting police, EMS, nurses, social workers and so on.

Now all of America gets to experience it! Fantastic.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

My money is on it being a hamster powered crank

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Black Lives Matter

More people see stuff posted online in 5 minutes (even on this dead gay comedy forum) than I'll ever be able to talk to about these issues in real life even if you gave me a decade.

Oh wonderful choice I can go to d&d and get called a nazi then banned or go to arfcom and get called a (((liberal)))and get banned

"Good little gun owners" need to be seen online in gun forums not being human poo poo.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Compassion fatigue is a real thing, usually affecting police, EMS, nurses, social workers and so on.

Now all of America gets to experience it! Fantastic.

I'm not exactly thrilled by this news but at least it means I'm not going crazy.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Jeremy_X posted:

I'm not exactly thrilled by this news but at least it means I'm not going crazy.

He didn't exactly say that.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Numlock posted:

More people see stuff posted online in 5 minutes (even on this dead gay comedy forum) than I'll ever be able to talk to about these issues in real life even if you gave me a decade.

Oh wonderful choice I can go to d&d and get called a nazi then banned or go to arfcom and get called a (((liberal)))and get banned

"Good little gun owners" need to be seen online in gun forums not being human poo poo.

When we had a politics thread people who got dogpiled on for various things made posts about like this and then stopped posting on SA altogether.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Black Lives Matter

Oh what are we going to do in this thread anyway? Post about how we are sad and that we can't do anything about lone crazies killing poo poo tons of people while everybody else looks on us with justified disgust?

If some body just walked up to me right now and told me we should ban guns and that they are bad I'd just cry. I would have nothing to say.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 2, 2017

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

edit: should not backseat mod

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

I feel like it was outlined pretty well in the first post as to this threads purpose.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

infrared35 posted:

There's a tiny part of me that hopes the dude had a room full of select-fire guns sold bystolen from the ATF.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Holy poo poo

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/10/2/16396612/las-vegas-mass-shooting-terrorism-islam

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

That was quick, Vox. A little too quick if you know what I mean.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Jeremy_X posted:

Yes. I don't read the news anymore. I don't really care. My life is so busy and chaotic and filled with other people's tragedies that I don't need any more.

What is so shocking about this? The fact that it's true or the fact that Vox wrote about it? Both are entirely unsurprising

hagie
Apr 5, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Interestingly enough there was a Stub Hub ad on that site for concerts in my area.

No thanks.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

hagie posted:

Interestingly enough there was a Stub Hub ad on that site for concerts in my area.

No thanks.

Contextual ads strike again.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Meanwhile Fox News articles pretty much all have the line "random sources from the Islamic State in Egypt claimed responsibility" even though it's entirely baseless. Is that a surprise too? Is that news worthy even?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Meanwhile Fox News articles pretty much all have the line "random sources from the Islamic State in Egypt claimed responsibility" even though it's entirely baseless. Is that a surprise too? Is that news worthy even?

You wanna link that?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

AP has something like "ISIS has claimed responsibility without any proof"

E: https://twitter.com/ap/status/914861081033625600

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Isis will legit claim anything if it gets them attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Black Lives Matter

Mods can we get a ban on this chucklefuck?

He's making me unconfrontable by posting stuff that's calling into question my deep seated racist beliefs.

*likes another ted nugent post about shooting mexicans*

• Locked thread