Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Numlock posted:

Mods can we get a ban on this chucklefuck?

He's making me unconfrontable by posting stuff that's calling into question my deep seated racist beliefs.

*likes another ted nugent post about shooting mexicans*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Numlock posted:

Mods can we get a ban on this chucklefuck?

He's making me unconfrontable by posting stuff that's calling into question my deep seated racist beliefs.

*likes another ted nugent post about shooting mexicans*

Dude, take a break and chill out for a bit.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

And if they don't mention the Islamic State claim they have a paragraph like in the Housley, Gibson et al. article talking about terrorist attacks (even bombings) by ISIS in Europe for some reason ("some reason").

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Saw a thing that says that gun stocks have soared. loving seriously? That's what happens now?

Still nothing on what was being used? With the first video I saw, I thought they were dumping from 50-round nutsacks and a belt-fed, but the "retired ATF agent" that was on the news kept saying, "submachine gun, no doubt it's a submachine gun".

Listened to some other video, there was some really weird variance in fire rate, which leads me to believe it was more a bumpfire stock or something.

Those are probably about to get banned. Good luck getting anything like a Fostech Echo or Franklin Armory Binary trigger now, either.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Numlock posted:

Oh what are we going to do in this thread anyway? Post about how we are sad and that we can't do anything about lone crazies killing poo poo tons of people while everybody else looks on us with justified disgust?

If some body just walked up to me right now and told me we should ban guns and that they are bad I'd just cry. I would have nothing to say.

I get the impression you would have plenty to say.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Yes. I don't read the news anymore. I don't really care. My life is so busy and chaotic and filled with other people's tragedies that I don't need any more.

What is so shocking about this? The fact that it's true or the fact that Vox wrote about it? Both are entirely unsurprising

The majority of the US population is a huge domestic terrorism thread? I agree that Vox writing such racist schlock is unsurprising, but probably for different reasons than you.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 2, 2017

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Saw a thing that says that gun stocks have soared. loving seriously? That's what happens now?

"...ohhhh, those kinds of stocks."

Ruger and S&W are up a little bit, not a crazy amount. It's America, what do you expect?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Black Lives Matter

I got plenty to say to you guys.

Mostly gently caress all of you cowardly idiot fuckwits.

gently caress you
gently caress our gun culture
gently caress this hosed nation
gently caress that guy
gently caress Trump
gently caress everything

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

"...ohhhh, those kinds of stocks."

Ruger and S&W are up a little bit, not a crazy amount. It's America, what do you expect?

lol yeah for a second I thought that people were having a run on those dumb bumpfire stocks for fear they'd be banned.

Tbh banning crank triggers or whatever would not do anything but I also wouldn't miss them.

Uncle w Benefits posted:

The majority of the US population is a huge domestic terrorism thread? I agree that Vox writing such racist schlock is unsurprising, but probably for different reasons than you.

The headline is something that is factually correct if uninteresting. Nobody is a huge terrorist threat because there aren't many terrorists and not many people are killed by terrorists. Nobody in this country needs to be worried about dying in a terrorist attack or mass shooting.

hagie
Apr 5, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Numlock posted:

gently caress you
gently caress that guy
gently caress Trump
gently caress everything

This is why we can't have nice things.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Listened to some other video, there was some really weird variance in fire rate, which leads me to believe it was more a bumpfire stock or something.

Those are probably about to get banned. Good luck getting anything like a Fostech Echo or Franklin Armory Binary trigger now, either.

If somebody wants to ban those stupid things, IMO let 'em. Not a hill I want to die on.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

"Let me make a logical appeal to prove that reasonable political discussion can occur here in this gun forum..."

Numlock posted:

gently caress you
gently caress that guy
gently caress Trump
gently caress everything

"Nailed it."

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

"Let me make a logical appeal to prove that reasonable political discussion can occur here in this gun forum..."

"Nailed it."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

To be fair, "gently caress" is my overriding sentiment/emotion/thought process lately. Something like this only bumps it up marginally.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Numlock posted:

gently caress you
gently caress that guy
gently caress Trump
gently caress everything

You realize you're acting like what you hate, right?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Black Lives Matter

Oh noes my bumpfire stick is going to get banned?

Anybody who owns one of those is an idiot.

I hope they get banned so I can read idiots posting about how mah rights! And have a good laugh.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Really interested as to what the murderer's motivations end up being. Not sure what social/political/religious point you make by shooting up a country/western concert (ie. a bunch of white rednecks, probably mostly nominal Evangelicals). Maybe it ends up like the Killdozer guy.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Black Lives Matter

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

You realize you're acting like what you hate, right?

Nah I'm just venting.

Hoenestly why haven't I been probated/banned yet?

What else?? Oh yeah CUCK CUCKADOODLE DO

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.

Grimey Drawer

"Hmm, I haven't looked at TFR in a while, let's see what they're saying abo-"

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Really interested as to what the murderer's motivations end up being. Not sure what social/political/religious point you make by shooting up a country/western concert (ie. a bunch of white rednecks, probably mostly nominal Evangelicals ). Maybe it ends up like the Killdozer guy.

Numlock posted:

gently caress you
gently caress that guy
gently caress Trump
gently caress everything

This is how you win arguments and minds.

Ninjalicious posted:

Well Numlock is over here going into conniptions instead of taking the drat loophole in the OP so I guess I will.

I see them banning crank triggers or rewording the "automatic weapon" language or something, but I also see the NRA pushing back real hard on that stuff so who knows.

That being said, banning the tool doesn't fix the problem.

This guy was mentally ill. He was so sad in the brain that he needed a berserker's death and had access and means. Las Vegas clearly has a soft risk profile for this sort of thing, and I am having a hard time coming up with a solution for them or any other area where guns, mentally ill individuals passing as stable, and large crowds of people can come together. It's really hard to swallow that any well tooled sociopathic sniper can kill 50 and injure 500 with a pile of drum mags and a crank trigger. How do you stop that?

I'd rather talk about mental health and human outcomes. He could have easily loaded a drone up with TNT and done the same, or used his pilots license to crash a plane, or something. People will always find a way to kill a bunch of other people in some manner. All we can do is try to avoid the scenarios that lead to this mental illness but that is literally GOV.EXE's whole job is to keep people from doing this.

It's scary that nothing can really stop it.

Normally I'd be A-OK with banning something as weird and niche as a crank trigger, but the 'give an inch ... take a mile' thing is real. Again, we still don't know what weapon was used or any mods made to it. We really need to wait it out and then discuss that stuff.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 2, 2017

Ninjalicious
Feb 21, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

3) discussion of any concrete, proposed legal changes as a result of the shooting.

Well Numlock is over here going into conniptions instead of taking the drat loophole in the OP so I guess I will.

I see them banning crank triggers or rewording the "automatic weapon" language or something, but I also see the NRA pushing back real hard on that stuff so who knows.

This guy was mentally ill. He was so sad in the brain that he needed a berserker's death and had access and means. Las Vegas clearly has a soft risk profile for this sort of thing, and I am having a hard time coming up with a solution for them or any other area where guns, mentally ill individuals passing as stable, and large crowds of people can come together. It's really hard to swallow that any well tooled sociopathic sniper can kill 50 and injure 500 with a pile of drum mags and a crank trigger. How do you stop that?

I'd rather talk about mental health and human outcomes. He could have easily loaded a drone up with TNT and done the same, or used his pilots license to crash a plane, or something. People will always find a way to kill a bunch of other people in some manner. All we can do is try to avoid the scenarios that lead to this mental illness but that is literally GOV.EXE's whole job is to keep people from doing this.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Black Lives Matter

Ps I do stand by everything I said though.

Is anybody else just loving tired of this poo poo.

I'm almost at the point were I wish they would ban guns just so I don't have to care anymore.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The media seem to be twisting themselves in knots to not call this an act of terrorism. It's kind of hosed up. If it were someone with an even remotely middle eastern name or skin tone the leading headline would be TERRORISM STRIKES AGAIN!!! with the accompanying tweets from the president.

Ninjalicious
Feb 21, 2010

Numlock posted:

Ps I do stand by everything I said though.

Is anybody else just loving tired of this poo poo.

I'm almost at the point were I wish they would ban guns just so I don't have to care anymore.

Man your whole lachrymose "too much tragedy I can't handle it" thing is really boring.

We live in a world where death and destruction is the norm. This poo poo happens in Mexico next week and I bet you don't care and we don't write a thread about it.

How do you fix human culture. That is the final drat question. The answer isn't get rid of guns, or put more barriers in front of them. You fix human culture you fix murder.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Black Lives Matter

Are you surprised? America is racist as gently caress.

Hell we elected a nazi who's letting people die on an island because their brown and can't vote unless they move.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Ninjalicious posted:

People will always find a way to kill a bunch of other people in some manner.

Like that Outer Limits episode about the reason we can't find extraterrestrial life is that any given intelligent species can only scientifically progress to the point where world-ending tech becomes commonly available enough for some rear end in a top hat to get a hold of it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Are we inferring that it's a crank trigger based on evidence, or reporting?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Neither. There is no official word on the guns other than he had something like 10 or 12 in the room.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Based on the variable but rapid ROF audible in the videos that have leaked

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Really interested as to what the murderer's motivations end up being. Not sure what social/political/religious point you make by shooting up a country/western concert (ie. a bunch of white rednecks, probably mostly nominal Evangelicals). Maybe it ends up like the Killdozer guy.

I think we'll eventually get to the point where, no, he didn't "just snap", and the whole "golly gee, he was just a regular guy who wasn't upset about nuthin'" won't be true either.

Regardless, it seems like it was pretty extensively planned ahead of time, from renting what has to be a specific super expensive hotel suit, to the cost to acquire whatever he used to perpetrate the attack.

Ninjalicious
Feb 21, 2010

Foehammer posted:

Like that Outer Limits episode about the reason we can't find extraterrestrial life is that any given intelligent species can only scientifically progress to the point where world-ending tech becomes commonly available enough for some rear end in a top hat to get a hold of it.

I'm really scared that this is the template for our future.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Based on the calibrated gunsmith ears of all these master gunhavers here in #TFR

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Ninjalicious posted:

I'm really scared that this is the template for our future.

Davy Crocketts for every American!

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Numlock posted:

I hope they get banned so I can read idiots posting about how mah rights! And have a good laugh.

Honestly this kinda posting / behavior makes me worry a bit about self harm / harming others.

Dude you should go get some help and stop doing whatever you're doing here.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Can we discuss how almost every single music venue that has ever existed, whether it be indoors or outdoors, is a horrible death trap that eagerly sacrifices survivability for access and crowd control? How about some common sense legislation regulating that bullshit?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

I mean, it was clearly some form of NFA full-auto dodge, either grandfathered in, or a device, but everyone just seems to have settled on a crank.

Also, I think I'm done with the news for now, we're in the "this person is clearly enjoying their fifteen minutes of fame as they retell their story to Brian Williams" phase.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 2, 2017

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

That Works posted:

Honestly this kinda posting / behavior makes me worry a bit about self harm / harming others.

Dude you should go get some help and stop doing whatever you're doing here.

I kind of wanted to say this but didn't want to be so blunt about it. It's why I keep telling him to chill the gently caress out.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Already $700k raised for a victim's fund. Not bad.

https://www.gofundme.com/dr2ks2-las-vegas-victims-fund

Ninjalicious
Feb 21, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Can we discuss how almost every single music venue that has ever existed, whether it be indoors or outdoors, is a horrible death trap that eagerly sacrifices survivability for access and crowd control? How about some common sense legislation regulating that bullshit?

Like a fire in a night club.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Numlock posted:

They should ban crazy idiots from shooting up concerts.

Problem solved

Edit: newer reports are saying there were multiple AR type rifles used, some or all of which were converted to full auto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Ninjalicious posted:

SHARE act is probably dead in the wake of this. Also, anything involving hearing protection that has to do with suppressors and not, say, electronic hearing protection. But there are enough people from the gun lobby working at cross purposes purely out of spite that they probably didn't have a chance of passing anyways. Here's an article from earlier in the year: https://theintercept.com/2017/05/30/gun-rights-group-takes-a-shot-at-elizabeth-warren-over-effort-to-make-hearing-aids-cheaper/

Washington is probably going to relitigate the House overturning the Obama-era rule earlier this year that was to restrict gun sales to the mentally ill.

• Locked thread