Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Boston's likely roster/lines below. There are a few names in the top-6 that might seem like a surprise to people who don't follow the Bruins.

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Kuraly-Spooner-Backes
Beleskey-Nash-Acciari

Extras will probably be Vatrano and Schaller. If Bjork or DeBrusk struggle as rookies, which is possible, they probably get shifted down and Backes/Vatrano slot in there. Schaller's a guy who will compete for ice time in the bottom 6.

Chara-Carlo
Miller-McAvoy
Grzelcyk-McQuaid
Postma

Krug is on IR for now after fracturing his jaw in preseason. He'll end up anchoring the second pairing with McAvoy or Carlo depending on how they rearrange things when he's back.

Rask
Khudobin

Subban has been great in preseason but should probably go back to Providence. Unfortunately he's not waivers exempt so there's a real fear that he gets claimed by someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Subban is going to get claimed and I am going to Be Pissed Off

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the keeper league is very fun and competitive and I recommend it

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Golden Man posted:

How does it work. what is it

I'm going to pretend you've never played any kind of fantasy hockey so sorry in advance if you already know how it works to some degree.

Everyone drafts a team. In this league each team has slots for two centers, two left wings, two right wings, five defensemen, and two goalies. There are also two generic slots that you can put any forward into (so two extra centers for example) and one extra Utility slot that you can put any forward or defenseman in. You also get two bench slots. There are a bunch of different stats that get scored like goals, assists, face offs won, hits, shut outs, etc., and basically your players need to have more goals or hits or whatever than whoever you're playing to win that category for the week. Whoever wins the most categories wins that week.

Every team in the league has a $500 budget to spend on players and the draft is an auction that you spend the money in. In an auction draft people take turns nominating a player for everyone to bid on. So theoretically you can blow out your budget on 3 or 4 players and they'll all be really good, but the rest of your roster might be lovely. It won't let you spend the entire budget on a single player though since you need to have a full roster.

A keeper league means that you're allowed to keep some players every year which can be good because if you got someone for a good deal last year you can keep him for a lot cheaper than if he were to go back to auction. For example, I got David Pastrnak in the draft last year for $4, and I'm going to keep him this year and next year. He becomes 20% more expensive every year. Our league only lets you keep players for up to three years total, including the year they were drafted, before they have to go back into the auction pool.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

Ok it looks like he is but if he doesn't I'll message you.

or maybe a third guy will want to join? then we'd have two new teams, although I assume that means they wouldn't get any keepers which is kind of lovely.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

I can bump it to 16 yeah. I believe previously what we did is allowed the new teams to pick from the other teams eligible leftovers but it's been a lockout since our last expansion I think.

Actually now that you mention it, I joined for 2013-14 and I think you're right. I vaguely remember choosing my keepers off of the leftovers on everyone's roster.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

Connolly-Eller-Wilson
Chiasson?-Beagle-DSP

They can get some poo poo done with the Top 6, but that bottom 6 + Orpik and the bottom pairing does not inspire confidence. Chorney's probably the 7D.

I'm also curious just how awful that second PP unit is going to be if Kuzy takes the MoJo slot on PP1.

That bottom six is still quite good though, all things considered. Caps fans are too used to having a really deep roster...

Chad Sexington posted:

I guess we find out today! Just bought tickets to the game against the Rangers in December. Hello $11 beers...

Oh did they lower prices?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Vegas claimed Subban on waivers. I loving knew this was going to happen.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
gently caress Vegas they're bad to me now.

Realistically I assume they get first dibs on waivers, and Boston was going to lose Subban regardless once they decided they were going to go with Khudobin over him.

He's 23 and he's been good in the AHL. He's a good prospect with upside that sucks to lose. Who do we even have in the pipeline now? McIntyre and Vladar?

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 3, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

I would love to see the NHL's all time lesser brothers team suit up for a game:

No love for Joel Lundqvist?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Loqieu posted:

Goalie Subban is still a good prospect with a lot of upside. Most goalies take time to develop anyway. I figured sending him to the AHL would get him more games as the starter. Little did I think someone would pick him up though, but I'm not surprised.

I think he's an enticing enough prospect that a bad team would claim him and give him backup minutes, which is exactly what happened. A team like Vegas especially can probably afford to hold on to three goalies since they're going to suck no matter what.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

His positioning isn't very good and he leans on his agility and speed too much.

Yeah he's very much a reaction/instincts goalie, although his positioning has improved over the past season or two. His game is more Tim Thomas than Tuukka Rask.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

College guys never win the Calder.

Anders Bjork is going to.

I actually think he's a dark horse to win it but no one outside of Bruins fans has really paid attention to him at all. They've already said he's cemented a top-6 role through a strong preseason/camp and my man is currently playing on a line with Marchand and Bergeron, and if that experiment doesn't work they're slotting him with Krejci and Pastrnak. He's gonna score some points.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
its fine the Bruins famously do better in the later rounds of the draft anyway!!!
2005 - Sobotka (4th)
2006 - Lucic, Marchand (2nd, 3rd)
2007 - ok not this one, at least Tommy Cross is still with the team I guess
2008 - nevermind
2009 - ok nevermind
2010 - Ryan Spooner and Zane McIntyre...errrr
2011 - nevermind
2012 - nevermind
2013 - Cehlarik is cool I guess

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

peter chiarelli is a real idiot

It was Sweeney who passed on Barzal three times. That said, DeBrusk is one of the picks and he's got a real chance of making the team in a top 6 role, he did very well in the AHL and has been playing/practicing with Pastrnak and Krejci.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

This is what made it so painless to make the Caps my primary team, beyond just living in D.C.

Also this lazy Tom Wilson av is still up for grabs, if somebody is smarter than me and can think of something pithy about pizza and repeat offenders.

The better av would have been Craig Laughlin talking about how much he loves Paisano's wings

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
hockey is back today but I'm not interested in any of the games, so that's disappointing

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Powershift posted:

8x$10 for Eichel, nobody's going to take that when he gets sick of losing un Buffalo.

what do you mean by this exactly? I don't like the Sabres and I hope they continue to suck, but Eichel is a world class player and if he stays healthy I'd expect him to be right around the top 10 in scoring for the duration of that contract.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Levitate posted:

I assume they mean when he demands a trade there aren't going to be many teams that can take on a contract that big or want to

I don't think there are many teams that wouldn't find a way to make room for Eichel though

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Powershift posted:

I think he's going to be held back by a poorly run team, and he's going to end up like Duchene at $10m instead of $6m .

He will be poisoned by the team's mismanagement.

Well my point is that Eichel isn't the type of player who gets held back by a mismanaged team with a poor roster. He's going to be extremely effective regardless of what you put around him. He was 19 last season and had 57 points in 61 games, which was top 10 in scoring starting at the game he returned.

I think people tend to forget how good Eichel is due to some combination of him being injured last year and there being a lot of rookies/young players (McDavid, Matthews, Laine, etc) who sort of stole the spotlight, so to speak. I mean, for a huge portion of the draft year there were debates about whether Eichel or McDavid should be first overall.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I've upgraded Sweeney from "bad" to "average" after that Pastrnak contract and because a lot of his draft picks are starting to look like they were good choices.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
every year, people coming up with conclusions about how the entire season is going to go for their team based on a single game in the opening crapshoot portion of the season is extremely funny to me

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

just had an original thought, i think you guys are going to like this

anyone notice that the two best players of the modern generation play for the same 2 teams that had the 2 best players of the previous generation

honestly i can't figure out if that's cool or if it sucks

that would be cool with me if, logically, it also means Charlie McAvoy is the next Bourque

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bruins won and the score only looked close because the Preds had a 6 on 3 and a 6 on 4 in the last two minutes of the game, McAvoy got his first NHL goal (and two points), DeBrusk got his first NHL goal (and two points), Bjork had a good game (but only an assist), Ovie hat trick, Penguins got absolutely poo poo on. Overall it was a fun night of hockey for me.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

hifi posted:

yotes looked exciting and lost a close game, which was better than like half of their games last year.

not sure what happened in the second half though. the ducks tip-ins started going in. domingue missed a few mid-range shots that would have kept them in the lead. lol at gibson skating across 2/3ds of the ice to yell at domingue and get a misconduct though

how did Keller look? I saw he had a goal but I didn't watch any of the game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
yeah, I also hope they don't make the playoffs

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Didn't they have to send him and Theodore to the minors for some weird contract compliance stuff? I assume both will actually be playing - maybe not tonight though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

They papered him down to the AHL because he's waivers exempt, but why on earth would they actually play their top line centre in a game in the AHL? Why not just call him right back up?

Sorry, I meant: Have they not become contract compliant or whatever yet, and that's the reason for the holdup?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Golden Man posted:

Every single professional athlete is somewhere on the moron to outright criminal spectrum and it amazes me that people don’t immediately assume anyone paid to play sports is a complete creep

Ken Dryden is basically the only athlete I can think of who isn't a complete idiot or a criminal.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

a false posted:

i'm not impressed with that supposedly good stars lineup

ya I was looking at it and thinking the same thing. The top line is great, Klingberg is fine, but the rest of it is kind of 'whatever' to me. I don't get what the fuss is.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mike_V posted:

Couldn't the Leafs just claim Pickard when they sent him down the first time or is he waiver exempt? Or did they not want him with the big club?

If I remember correctly, Vegas had already put him on waivers and he cleared. So Toronto doesn't have to waive him anymore to have him stay in the AHL. Seems like they wanted him but they didn't want to have to risk losing him to waivers themselves.

As for Vegas, they got Subban off waivers and they turned a guy they got for free into a draft pick and a warm body, so that seems fine.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
guys I think Ovechkin is still good

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bruins got shut out by the Avalanche which seems really bad because it's Colorado. Krug being back was good, but the forwards are a mess. Bergeron being out is the biggest thing but losing Backes and Acciari is rough too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Who is Jesper Bratt

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I just saw he's scoring a lot. I'm kind of happy for the Devils/their fans. Mostly because of how much I liked MoJo when he was on the Caps, but also Taylor Hall, Ginger Goalie, and Nico.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I dunno, once Brodeur retired I stopped thinking of the Devils as a good team. Don't hate em anymore.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Kilza posted:

The Vegas Golden Knights are the first ever NHL team to begin their inaugural season at 3-0.

yeah well they got to play another bottom feeder twice, and Dallas.

Mind_Taker posted:

I miss Nate Schmidt :(. He's gonna be the #1 in Vegas.

Nah it'll be Shea Theodore whenever they figure out their stupid contract situation. I miss Schmidtty too, though

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

Pittsburgh, definitely. I think Chicago was too.

There are only a handful of teams that won't have attendance problems if the team sucks for a prolonged period. I'd say maybe the Rangers and Flyers are the only American teams that would fit that bill, and then most of the Canadian teams.

Yeah. I'd maybe add Boston and Minnesota to that list too, but that's just a guess. I didn't look up historical figures or anything. American sports fans have a lot of options and generally no one wants to watch a crappy on-ice product.

I miss when the Capitals sucked and I could sit in the lower bowl for like $30.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ElwoodCuse posted:

Boston averaged 14-15k a game until they got real good and look at that, started selling out.

I guess that doesn't seem like "attendance problems" to me for a 17k capacity building in the same way that Pittsburgh averaging 10k-12k or Chicago at 11k-13k during their lean years was.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah I would go Caps games all the time as a poor undergrad student. The girl's hockey team at AU would partner with them for fundraising too, so I could get lower bowl seats for like $25. And those were the golden Ovie years too, when defensemen didn't know what to do against him and he was constantly scoring on the rush. So much fun.

Yeah that poo poo ruled. My high school team did a promo with them in 06 or 07 where we got a bunch discounted tickets and then we got to play a game on Verizon Center ice after the Caps game was over. So I got to watch the Caps lose to New Jersey or something, and then my team got smoked by some rich kids from Loudon. I scored a goal on NHL ice though so it wasn't a total loss.

• Locked thread