Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eddie Lack and Jaromir Jagr on the Flames? Why? Why do you punish me oh mighty one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

that's what a modern cap team looks like. good god.

Sven Baertschi - Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Markus Granlund
Loui Eriksson - Brandon Sutter - Tomas Vanek
Jake Virtanen - Sam Ganger - Alex Burmistrov
Derek Dorsett

Alex Edler - Chris Tanev
Ben Hutton - Troy Stecher
Michael Del Zotto - Erik Gudbranson
Patrick Wiercioch - Alex Biega

Jacob Markstrom
Anders Nilsson

Now that is $72,519,166 well spent my friend.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Vancouver has a markedly better defense than Detroit

A pool noodle is probably more useful in a warzone than a gummy worm but I don't think I'd choose to go into battle with either.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Heliogabalos posted:

And I don't get Pedan over Biega on waivers. Biega is a beer league pylon. The way he misread the play on that one Draisatl goal last game was pretty spectacularly bad, yet he, a yutz at 29 makes the team over a 24-year old who played not bad - at least better than "the Bulldog"

Honestly, Biega and Pedan are so interchangeable that I don't care in the slightest. Neither is an NHLer on a team even 10% better than the Canucks and aren't in the franchise's long term plans. 24 isn't young as far as hockey players are concerned, so might as go with the devil you know in Biega.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I like these lines but are Brouwer and Versteeg the only right-handed shooting forwards? That seems like it could be a problem.

Nice segue, Rick Dhaliwal is saying the Flames might well be trading Brouwer

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/914955239748395008

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Lousy hockey player and artist Ville Leino has retired

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1760252

He didn't get fired until someone showed up to a game with a sign about it.

As funny as that whole thing was (and I think it was my first introduction to SAS), it was a pretty stupid thing for him to do. The first thing I've been told at every job I've ever had that it's grounds for instant dismissal if you access and/or share personal information unnecessarily.

I'll still always think of Marcel Hossa as the guy who thought the base of his telephone was a modem though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Speaking of Hossas, the NHL has cleared the Hawks to put Marian Hossa on LTIR with a cap related illness.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Vegas claimed Malcolm Subban and Franson signs in Chicago for 1 year $1M.

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/915243255377170433

Sorry Flames fans, I guess it couldn't all be good news.

Always a classic. I'm pretty sure he just straight up stole the doodles from the margins of my grade 8 science notes.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

yellowcar posted:

Vegas just got cooler.

And entrenched themselves as firm favourites for Dahlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H98paBmEu4

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I would love to see the NHL's all time lesser brothers team suit up for a game:

Steve Kariya - Brent Gretzky - Frank Bathgate
Marcel Hossa - Brett Lindros - Fedor Federov
Igor Radulov - Alain Lemieux - Stephen Gionta
Mike Stevens - Rocky Trottier - Jared Staal

Sean Pronger - Jordan Subban
Jordie Benn - Mathieu Biron
Marty Howe - Richie Regehr

Dave Dryden
Malcolm Subban

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

No love for Joel Lundqvist?

Good call. Maybe he can sub in for Stephen Gionta or Marcel Hossa because both of them did have something approaching an NHL career.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/915268824303247360

Uh what? Why?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yaya posted:

He played for the Winterhawks under Travis Green so it looks like Portland is Medicine Hat 2.0.

I like it tbh, Pedan wasn't ever going to do anything

edit: That being said watch Pedan be a super-late bloomer and turn into Zdeno Chara.

Derick Pouliot is like Ben Hutton lite and Ben Hutton's not very good to begin with. If he'd been a 2nd round pick he likely wouldn't have an NHL contract.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Guessing Pedan doesn't have to go through waivers?

He cleared waivers about 24 hours ago.

Pedan is fine in a #8 role but shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL lineup on a regular basis. He's an average skater for his size, doesn't really stand out defensively but isn't a wreck or anything. He can play LW if you need him too and he fought a bunch in junior. He's like a child's swiss army knife, one of those ones with a spoon, playdough cutter and a magnifying glass on it.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 3, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks are just a Brian Dumolin away from acquiring Pittsburgh's entire return in the Jordan Staal trade.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

The Canucks traded a useless player and a fourth for a slightly less useless player.

I dunno about that Pouliot is pretty terrible. A decidedly slow puck moving defenceman is not a useful player. Also the Canucks have first waiver priority after Colorado picked up a guy so they could've a) claimed Ville Pokka or b) waited until Pouliot was inevitably waived or c) done nothing and stuck with the replacement level defencemen they already had in Pedan, Biega and Wiercioch. None of those scenarios necessitated sacrificing yet another draft pick, but now once again the Canucks no longer have a full complement of picks despite being a rebuilding team going into one of the deepest drafts of the last decade.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yaya posted:

This season's one of the more interesting rookie classes we've had in a long time. Boeser, Keller, Kyle Connor, Hischier, Patrick, among others, all have a convincing case for why they'll win the Calder this year.

McAvoy, Strome, DeBrincat and Chabot too, but it'll be Keller

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

There is basically no chance of Chabot winning the Calder, because a) he's not going to play a full season in the NHL and b) he isn't nearly as good as advertised (yet). also c) Ottawa is a garbage heap trash fire

The rookie class this year isn't interesting, it's crappy. Boeser, Keller, Kyle Connor, Hischier, Patrick, DeBrincat and McAvoy are the only credible pre-season candidates. Obviously that could change and somebody like Mete or Yamamoto could come in and blow us all away, but it's far more likely the rookie scoring leader this year is in that 50-60 points range. Could be the worst class since 11/12.

Chabot will get called back up in short order, and playing 60-70 games is all he needs. I agree that it's a pretty terrible rookie class this year though. It doesn't help that the top two picks are among the most underwhelming players selected in those positions in league history.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

wow, puljujarvi didn't make the team?

Yamamoto is the new hotness

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

is marc bergevin the worst gm in the league? seems like the only thing keeping the roster he's put together from being worst-in-the-league level bad is price

Jim Benning. There is one answer and it's Jim Benning.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah McDavid reminds me most of Bure. Two or three strides faster than everyone else in the league, and capable of stickhandling like he's strolling down a sidewalk while doing it. Bure was the much better finisher and (at least in my mind) the overall faster/quicker player, but McDavid is a top tier playmaker at the same time.

With that said, McDavid probably has the same fatal flaw as Bure or Orr in that his skating style puts a lot of pressure on his knees and if one or both start to wear you can officially begin the five year countdown to retirement.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

I fuckin hate Conner macdavid

So do I brother. So do I.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

his technique is pretty different from bure/orr. his skates are really, really loose and uses a lot more ankle drive than knee drive. he really reminds me of fedorov

It's more the constant strides and crossovers with a lot of high knee lifting. It's really choppy. Like Bure he very rarely splays out his legs and coasts to make a move, preferring to keep taking strides until the last possible second. As a result he's putting twice as much impact on his legs and knees as anyone else. If you can do it well it's a really effective skating stride that generates a ton of power and speed quickly, but it tends to grind players down. Basically any player I can think of who skated in that manner for a long period of time suffered a series of debilitating knee injuries. Ed Jovanovski, Pavel Bure, Bobby Orr, Marian Gaborik... Maybe the looser skates that McDavid wears will help, but I figure that more likely it'll just change the location of the injury zone. McDavid is going to be one hell of a player for the next 7 or 8 years, but I wouldn't rate his chances of having a 15 or 20 year career.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I mean, Jovo played like 17 (partial) seasons.

Jovo is one of my favourite players ever. but he was a shadow of his former self for the final decade of his career. He also managed a grand total of six seasons over 70 games in those 17 years. He could still put up points on the powerplay because he was such a good passer, but he used to be able to take over games with his speed and skating in his prime. He was the 3rd best part of the WCE era Canucks and if his knees hadn't slowed him so much he'd probably have been considered one of the best all time offensive defencemen.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I had no idea Jovanovski was that good.

He meshed really well with Naslund and Bertuzzi and would often lead the rush. He was the fastest player on the team at the time and just blew past most opposing defenders before deferring to Naslund and crashing the net with Bert. Morrison was largely there as moral support in open play.

Maybe one of the best ever is hyperbole, but he did make the all-star game 5 times including three years in a row. He earned the nickname Crazy Legs because he'd step out from behind his own net, start churning his legs and dashing up ice and you knew it was either going to end with a devastating hit, a goal or him pummelling the everliving hell out of someone.

God do I miss Jovanovski. There really isn't anyone like him in the league these days. Think Subban if he fought and hit guys with reckless abandon.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

honestly i can't figure out if that's cool or if it sucks

It sucks. It's going to leave a lasting scar on my soul when the Oilers win another two cups.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

He's the fastest guy in the league, he has the best edge work and he can handle the puck at full speed. How do you stop a player like that?

Staple a shutdown centre to his rear end, cut off passing lanes and force him to shoot from distance? It's what the Ducks and Sharks did in the playoffs and it worked pretty well.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Man grows beard at time when it is fashionable to do so

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

spliffaz posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this question. I came across one of those Ottawa Senators October 8th, 1992 opening night coins. They gave them to those in attendance. Sorry I can't post a picture of it right now. I can't find any listings on eBay. It's basically a plastic coin covered in see through plastic, has the date on one side and Coca-Cola on the other.. anyways, question is, did I come across something considered rare or is it just a worthless trinket. I know it's value is really based on what people would pay for it, but if anyone has any ideas that's be great.

Related: Hockey is awesome and back. The sens will go to the shootout 80 more times.

Judging off this blog, it's not worth much if anything at all considering posters from the 20s only go for $125. It's a cool thing to hang onto if you're a Sens fan though.

http://www.bonksmullet.com/2013/09/sens-collectors-flashback-time.html

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

spliffaz posted:

Thanks for the link. That's what I figured it was worth, unless I found a die-hard fan who just *had* to have it. I think I'll just hold on to it. (It's SURE to go up in value according to that blog).

Ebay has a metal version with a buy it now price of $28 . I would guess they minted a limited run of metal ones and gave plastic ones to everyone in the crowd.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-1992-...5%257Ciid%253A5

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fits posted:

https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/916344880439447553

that sure is an opening night expansion lineup

Without Vlad Shipachyov on it because...

https://twitter.com/SinBinVegas/status/916349204922060800

Trade? Jumped ship? WHO KNOWS?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Didn't they have to send him and Theodore to the minors for some weird contract compliance stuff? I assume both will actually be playing - maybe not tonight though.

They papered him down to the AHL because he's waivers exempt, but why on earth would they actually play their top line centre in a game in the AHL? Why not just call him right back up?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

The one Avalanche rookie this year just graduated from harvard, but he majored in economics and signed with Colorado, so yeah, still dumb.

He's a super rich kid. The odds on him having gotten into Harvard on scholastic merit are low.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

George Parros has a degree in Economics from Princeton.

His senior thesis was the 99 page thriller "Trouble on the Docks: An Analysis of the Labor Dispute on the West Coast Longshore and its Impact on the American Economy."

Joe Juneau also managed to graduate with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering from RPI in 3 years with a 4.0 GPA despite not speaking English when he started. The oldest Moore brother got a 1590 on his SAT.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 6, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Loqieu posted:

Montreal has the highest taxes of any team in the league too. At least the California teams can lure players with nice weather.

That's true of every sport and there are plenty of cold weather/high tax teams in every league that sign major free agents. Hell, Edmonton (noted suck capital of Canada) has signed a bunch of prominent free agents lately. Attracting talent has a hell of a lot more to do with playing for a cup contending team in front of a consistently full house.

It's not like Tampa, Nashville, Florida and Dallas have a monopoly on free agents because of their lower taxes. In fact, it's really the only thing they can offer to attract players to them at the moment.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why do I bother?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Anyone wanna trade defense?

Anyone?

Done no take backs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/916828543199449088

Gotta cater to that newfound the_Donald audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/A_Kalnins/status/917410536572313600

Vegas continues its storied tradition of being a joke franchise.

• Locked thread