Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/lkorac10/status/914889858115624960

That sure is a group of depth forwards right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

FBS posted:

Kulikov-Myers

This seems like a wise investment into a third defense pairing for a team with a tight internal budget.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

xzzy posted:

Everything about 80's hockey was better.

Well except maybe the concussions everyone ignored. But that doesn't take away from how cool the rest of it was.

The goaltending sure as gently caress wasn't.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

is marc bergevin the worst gm in the league? seems like the only thing keeping the roster he's put together from being worst-in-the-league level bad is price

Drouin for Sergachev wasn't bad.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DOOMocrat posted:

Stars lineup from practice:

Jamie Benn – Tyler Seguin – Alexander Radulov
Mattias Janmark – Jason Spezza – Brett Ritchie
Devin Shore – Martin Hanzal – Tyler Pitlick
Antoine Roussel – Radek Faksa – Gemel Smith

Esa Lindell – John Klingberg
Marc Methot – Jamie Oleksiak
Dan Hamhuis – Stephen Johns

Ben Bishop
Kari Lehtonen

It has been... a very long time since every line and pair on a Stars team had someone that could halfway defend on it.

I see one good line, decent center depth, maybe two good defensemen and a lot of okay-to-mediocre filler. Am I missing something? I mean if Bishop is back in form and stays healthy that could be enough, but lol at that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DOOMocrat posted:

Richie and Faksa are better than they are getting credit for in that evaluation, I feel.

Is Ritchie a better-than-average second line winger? What's Faksa going to do on the fourth line?

Starsfan posted:

It doesn't help that Julius Honka (a guy who is lightning with the puck on his stick and would easily score 40-50 points in a full season) is sitting in the pressbox.

I mean it seems to me that the team could use another guy on the back end who can create offense and transition the puck other than Klingberg, but I;'m a dumb fan so what do I know.

Paging T-Bone...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this a reference to something 80s?

Yeah it's about Wayne Gretzky.

Aphrodite posted:

Keith, Seabrook and Kane are not actually good at defense. Don't tell Quenneville.

You'd figure they'd be able to crack 10% of the shots at even strength when they play, though. Matthews good.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not an expert but I think the Leafs could stand to stop giving up 4+ goals every game.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Have they just forgotten about the rule that the away center puts his stick down on the ice first before a faceoff? I keep seeing players not doing this and then the home center gets kicked out for some reason.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

rex rabidorum vires posted:

This rule also changed I'm pretty sure. Defending player in the zone is supposed to put their stick down first. The Away rule only applies to center ice faceoffs I think.

Huh, apparently it was officially that way last season too. Never mind then.

ThinkTank posted:

I figure that the refs are focusing less on who puts their stick down first and more on where each player's feet are.

That also seems reasonable sense since sometimes one (presumably attacking) center never puts their stick down at all.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

I mean, sure, but that's a far cry from what they've been doing so far. They've been outshot in two of their games and they've only played teams that were either horrific or marginal last year.

Whoa whoa whoa, you take that back!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

TSN's headline reads "Leafs snap losing streak". The streak of the only game they've lost so far this season? Okay then.

Wonderllama posted:

Seems like this Matthews kid is a pretty good poor man’s kucherov.

5GP, 5G, 3A, 8P, +7, 0 PIM
5GP, 5G, 3A, 8P, +0, 8 PIM

It's like the cold war again even down to the eventual winner.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Speaking of the Stanley Cup, David Perron is like the Riley Sheahan of the playoffs.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aurora posted:

drat sjws at it again, is nothing sacred in this game

You mean loving fa...irweather fans?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

As long as it also has the fire trail when it goes a certain MPH. That poo poo ruled.

Yes the puck itself should actually burst into flames whenever it gets poo poo really hard. Also players on hot streaks should have flaming sticks, whereas Galchenyuk and Niemi's should be coated in ice.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There are lots of players he could be talking about, but I'm thinking it's actually a warning shot at whiners like Lupul and Cowen, who haven't even been able to go elsewhere (Lupul because he's under contract and Cowen because he sucks). Just take your millions to not play and ride quietly into the sunset.

Remember that the Leafs also buried Robidas before signing him as a player, and variously dumped guys like Michalek (still UFA), Greening (Marlies) and Laich (only just got signed). Hell, it could be aimed at younger guys like Rychel, who complained about not getting a shot with the Jackets but who hasn't even been a standout AHLer since being traded, or Marincin and Leivo, the latter of whom deserves to play but can't because Matt Martin reasons.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

50 years from now they'll be playing on friction free synthetic ice that never needs zambonied with three glowing pucks in play at a time, and all physical contact will be outlawed and the average team will score 1 regulation goal in every 4 games (not including goals scored in 1-on-1 overtime) and there will be media controversies over how much of a player's body he should be allowed to replace with cybernetic parts, and there will be 70 teams in the NHL including the new Alpha Centauri division, and Paul Maurice will somehow still be coaching one of them.

Frictionless ice would be a little difficult to handle without jetpacks.

Michael Matheson got his first point of the season too. You know, that guy that just signed an 8-year, $39 million extension because he's quietly underrated or something.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

gently caress The King, etc., but:

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/924458463245324288

...this is awesome and the broadcast crew's reaction is tremendous. Full marks to coach Not Sutter to pulling the goalie and taking the chance.

...taking the chance that someone might shoot the puck 200 km/h the other way?

Also lol at the clock not moving at all on the replay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Babcock will do anything to win, except ever scratching Martin for any reason ever. I think if he was ever injured Babs would just call the game.

... He didn't play two games ago.

I can't be that happy about scratching Polak because now we're just back to where we were at the beginning of the season. Having said that, Polak would have been great 20 years ago when defensemen could just mug anyone.

• Locked thread