Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Hell yeah Jagr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

yellowcar posted:

Poile, get another Subban. Then get Vancouver's.

That would be cool but don't see there being room for a 3rd goalie right now.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

soggybagel posted:

I'm gonna vomit.

“Parise is 33. He’s coming off a 19 goal season and had 8 years left on a contract with a $7.538 million cap hit.”

Just got to stick it out until the next lockout's amnesty buyouts.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

When do teams have to get their rosters to 23? I think Nashville is at 24 with Ellis and maybe Bonino on IR but maybe I'm missing someone.

edit: I have no idea what Nashville will do with their lines. I guess Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson will stick together, and then lines 2 and 3 will probably be a blender of Hartnell and Bonino and Smith and a rotating cast of young dudes: Fiala, Aberg, Freddy Gaudreau, Sissons, Kamanev, Jarnkrok. 4th line will probably be one of those young dudes + two of Watson, Salomaki, or McLeod.

D still on the roster are:

Josi
Ekholm
Subban
Emelin
Weber
Irwin
Bitetto
Girard
Ellis (LTIR)

They have been playing Emelin and PK together a lot in the preseason so that would mean:

Ekholm - Josi
Emelin - Subban
??? - ???

I think if they have kept Girard around this long, he will probably get some games. My guess is Kamenev and Gaudreau get sent down to make 23 on the roster, then if they send Girard back to juniors, one of them comes back up.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 3, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I guess Nashville signed Hairy Z for some reason to a 2-way and put him on waivers for MKE. Also Sam Girard is starting the season in the NHL and sounds like Aberg will be one of the late cuts.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Vegas sent KHL superstar Shipachyov and Shea Theodore to the AHL.

e: might be for roster limit reasons because they are waiver exempt.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

They papered him down to the AHL because he's waivers exempt, but why on earth would they actually play their top line centre in a game in the AHL? Why not just call him right back up?

Thought they could move some players in a trade to make roster space but it hasn't materialized yet?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

a false posted:

why exactly do people think pickard is good? i'm not trying to be a dick i just have never thought of pickard as anything other than a mediocre lifetime backup

He's better than his brother, who was picked 18th overall by Nashville in a pick that they acquired from Ottawa, along with a 3rd in 2009 (Taylor Beck) in exchange for Nashville's 2008 15th overall pick. Which Ottawa used to select...Erik Karlsson.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Have there been any offside challenges yet this year?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Wonderllama posted:

Right, but as other teams did, they could have sent picks.

But maybe they were sick of his stupid penalties. I dunno.

IIRC they tried but couldn't work anything out. I think if they protected him they would have lost Arvidsson, Jarnkrok, or one of the top 4 D, so it was probably the right move. Neal is better than Jarnkrok, but he is a UFA after this year and would probably be looking for a relatively expensive and long deal, so it might have just been one year of him.

stab posted:

Make something similar to escrow that calculates the effective tax rate of each city and reimburses or takes away based off the city the player plays in?

I don't think the NHLPA would ever agree to or propose that, since it would be pitting members interests against each other, plus increasing the overall amount of tax paid by union members.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 7, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Lessail posted:

And sending him down would be pretty lousy as a sentimental thing

Brad Hunt is not good though

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Kilza posted:

For anybody who missed it, the Flyers got scored on a 5-on-3 by the Preds in the final 2 minutes of the game to tie the game. Hakstol used a Coach's Challenge for offside, got it wrong, giving the Preds another 5-on-3 and they proceeded to score the GWG off of it. Not the smartest of moves.

I was at this game and it was a drat emotional roller coaster.

Also the gtg was actually 6 v 3 with the net empty.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Houston is the 5th largest metro area in the US , and one of the fastest growing. I don't know if it's really a meaningful metric, but they would have a bigger ratio of population:major sports teams than Seattle would.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Wasnt the big knock against DeBrincat his height too?

Short players getting, uh, short shrift has been a thing forever. Not sure I've ever heard about it for coaches though.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

eXXon posted:

Have they just forgotten about the rule that the away center puts his stick down on the ice first before a faceoff? I keep seeing players not doing this and then the home center gets kicked out for some reason.

Refs can only pretend to care about one thing at a time.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

yellowcar posted:

The issue is also Goldblum actively moving away from puck-movers to fuckin stone hands stay-at-homers. Trading away PK, Beaulieu, and Sergachev then loading up on Weber, Alzner, Streit, and Morrow. I think it's a matter of time before Mete is shipped out for some pylon.

It's weird to see someone look at the way the whole league is trending and say, "Nah, I'm going to do the opposite."

yellowcar posted:

Sam Girard is a cool and good hockey kid.

I thought he looked a little outmatched at times on Tuesday but he looked a LOT more confident tonight.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

The third mascot is friendship

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The weird part is that he's gotten continuous work at a head coach for 20 years for very little reason. There are only a handful coaches under 50 so he's still relatively young despite nearly in the top 10 in game coached.

3rd all time in games lost!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Cities should do more to educate the public on how sports stadiums give nothing back to the community. There's no financial justification to them for the city at all. I bet the average person has no concept of the fact that stadiums don't bring much to their cities and are in fact a financial drain on them due to poo poo like having to secure transportation, funding, and police/fireman support for them.

They're probably pretty tempting for local politicians though. Like, "here's this stadium I got built!" is more sell-able than "I improved our stormwater catchment and stop light timing!" Plus they'll be long out of office by the time the bonds become an obvious burden.

Nashville's got like $1b in bonds for two 20 year-old stadiums and a convention center and now the Mayor's trying to do a $250m MLS stadium.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/921107280438943744

Got cut by a skate

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

At this point, does he need to go through waivers to play?

I think that's only if he had played in a non NA league while unsigned.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/921458051260940289

That seems...like a really big mistake.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/PredsOnFSTN/status/921187719744667648

PK :allears:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Arizona still hasn't won a game, I feel like this is not getting laughed at enough.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Fiala :(
https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/923002955057508352

Thufir
May 19, 2004

And now this game is going to OT :(

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

In reality traditional scouting isn't so much an art form as it is luck. It's hard to admit that any perceived impact you've had on the job you dedicated twenty years to is entirely down to the random permutations of chance and not actual ability. I know I'd have a tough time accepting it. Most if not all scouting staffs are woefully outperformed by statistical models these days. I'm not surprised that a bunch of teams are doubling down on the old school concept, it would suck having to scrap coworkers that have been around for years and you probably like quite a bit more than their replacements. There will be a shift eventually just like there was on wall street a few decades ago, but old habits die hard and the current scouting teams aren't going to go quietly.

"He's a star player, there's no doubt, but does he fit with our culture?"

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I dunno if any team is going to want to take on that deal for a guy that has played like 30 minutes of NHL hockey. I mean he might be worth it but how would you know?

E: I guess he had a $2m signing bonus paid already so probably only due another 6.5m or so on his deal.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 26, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

He’s going to gently caress off back to Russia so he can go to the Olympics.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

That was quick.

There are 25 coaches who have been with their current team for less time than Trotz.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Dang Stamkos has 21 points already. Maybe more than one player will actually hit 100 points this year.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So does that mean goalies have to eat like, Olympic swimmer levels of carbs?

Some goalie, I think Dan Ellis back in his 1 good season with Nashville, couldn't stop losing weight and eventually they had him just eat like a shitload of fast food every day after practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Bonino with a clever approach

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba7qmOKgzZx/

• Locked thread