Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

ThinkTank posted:

Sven Baertschi - Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Markus Granlund
Loui Eriksson - Brandon Sutter - Tomas Vanek
Jake Virtanen - Sam Ganger - Alex Burmistrov
Derek Dorsett

Alex Edler - Chris Tanev
Ben Hutton - Troy Stecher
Michael Del Zotto - Erik Gudbranson
Patrick Wiercioch - Alex Biega

Jacob Markstrom
Anders Nilsson

Now that is $72,519,166 well spent my friend.

Vancouver has a markedly better defense than Detroit

e: and, with the exception of the insanely overpaid Helm (and Nielsen if they decide to play both Zetterberg and Larkin at C), they have a better bottom 6 as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Pulkkinen, and Jurco on waivers Holland was right

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

I don't get what the Red Wings did this offseason.

Fail horribly

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

let's try to figure out when the wings next chance to be relevant is

https://capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

well for starters, every single awful contract is signed through at least 2018-19. most are through 2020-21. we can safely assume that by 2020, it will be a different GM than Holland trying to dig them out of the hole. next offseason they will free up 6 million from Green going away and have to distribute that plus whatever other cap space (projected total free of about 11-12 million) to bring back Larkin, Mantha, Frk, Sheahan or his replacement, and Mrazek in his replacement.

I think the golden goose of trading Jimmy Howard has been shot and it's bleeding to death in the field. RIP goose. in 2019-20, they have to re-sign or replace Gustav Nyquist. thankfully Justin Abdelkader still has 4 more seasons to go after that (lmfao). Kronwall goes that offseason too and the merciful release from Howard's deal but if Ken Holland is still around, how many millions are going into Nick Jensen's pockets to keep him?

maybe in 20-21 there's a little hope to be a fringe playoff team and let the young guys learn from the vets in the playoffs. by 21-22, there will only be 3 albatrosses left - Frans at 5.25, Abdelkader at 4.25 (for 2 more loving years!!!), DeKeyser at 5. so maybe that or 22-23 is the first season you can expect to see a cool, good Red Wings team again

This is all accurate except Holland is eternal so you can factor in his meddling over that timeline and realize that the Wings will be trash for a decade plus

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Its a crime the best player of this generation is playing for the Edmonton Oilers

Matthews should be in Arizona and McDavid should be in like...Florida or some poo poo, literally as far away from Canada as possible

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

A far better solution would have been to make the blue line into a plane like the end zone in football, which would make "imperceptible" plays legal and not take the coward's way out of just hoping no one does challenges anymore.

man get the gently caress out of here with this logical solution bullshit

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

As I have said many times, the plane thing is an even worse solution. It's hard enough to tell if a skater's foot is touching the ice with multiple high def camera angles, and that's clear cut. The blueline plane thing means that a skate literally 3 feet up in the air could possibly be onside. Like how on earth could you tell conclusively in most cases? Here's an example I keep going back to because it's the only shot the NHL has released from a blueline camera, and it's almost impossible to make out if the player is onside or not given the "blue line is a plane" rule. Now imagine his skate were another foot or two off the ice. The NHL has difficulty determining if a puck crosses the goal line when off the ice and that's only six feet wide and has dedicated overhead cameras as opposed to 85 feet wide with one blueline camera (and no more cameras wouldn't make things much easier).

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/720432196201394176

The challenge rule was brought in to get rid of obvious offsides that refs missed like that Duchene goal where everyone stopped skating, not tiny tenth of a second mid-stride skate positioning 30 seconds before a goal that have zero bearing on the play or how players react. The simplest solution is to have coaches to pick and choose when they challenge.

I like the penalty rule because it forces coaches to only challenge when they're sure, not the speculative poo poo they did to try and get a goal overturned in a close game. A timeout isn't really a big loss in hockey, and the only reason it was the punishment for an incorrect challenge was because that was what they did in football. A minor penalty is a more comparable punishment to a loss of a timeout in football. If a coach is confident in his call he can go for it, if not I'd prefer he didn't waste everyone's time.

I mean this is a lot of words to say "here's a cherry picked example that proves that a more logical and practical solution with a more appropriate punishment is clearly just as bad"

Also you could make the plane consistent. The puck needs to fully cross the blue to get in and also fully cross the blue to get out. They could just make the neutral side of the blue the plane and make it just like a goalline where as soon as the puck hits that point, the zone is gained. If that were the case, than this image you're showing would pretty clearly be a solid foot onside!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

a false posted:

the one place where i think the old boys' club mentality for coaches makes sense is dealing with pro athlete egos and i think that internet people would probably be bad at that but as far as skills go you can hire trainers to work on things like that

The no nonsense sounds stupid but is actually probably right solution to this is actually sports/regular psychology and coaches studying/obtaining degrees in said field so that they know how to talk to players like they're human beings and not this glorified babysitter angry dad bullshit that old money thinks has been working for the last 150 years

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

whatis posted:

did anyone post about this yet? because it's cool as heck

https://twitter.com/sportslogosnet/status/920037338293719047

Holy poo poo I need all these jerseys I don't even know or care what they look like

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The puck swap is actually dumb because Curtis Lazar fetched two 2nds at the deadline and this all could've been done 7 months ago

also the sproul trade is a loving disaster if he even turns into a solid 7th D because Holland has literally spent the last 4 years letting him toil away so that he could build the world's worst most expensive defense

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

And people still think that Osgood is the worst goalie to win a cup

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I honestly hope Vegas becomes the team that has the all-time best start while missing the playoffs, that's really the only way this can end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I gotta say, those Devils jerseys look much better in motion than they did when they premiered

• Locked thread