Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Glorgnole posted:

lol that it's possible to erase an entire user and all their posts, and that doing this extremely breaks threads they posted in

i mean, `delete from comments where user_id=69` and it also makes sense that decade-old forum software on mysql with a bunch of denormalization into memcache tacked on would have issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Glorgnole posted:

lol that it's possible to erase an entire user and all their posts, and that doing this extremely breaks threads they posted in

oh you can't say that without posting an example

e: oh i see zdr is a little less r and a little more d than usual these days

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 5, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Glorgnole posted:

i'd guess zdr's user record got corrupted into non-existence in the outage, making his posts fall out of some (thread[page]) join comments join users query. the way the threads were broken seems like it'd either be a matter of pagination being cached (and that cache being rebuilt async?), or possibly simply an expectation that the join would never project comments away (which could be entirely legitimate if the corruption caused a foreign key constraint to be violated)

lowtax denies doing anything to zdr, and it seemed a pretty out there forum drama thing to have happen, so the outage loving up the db seems a better guess

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i'd guess zdr's user record got corrupted into non-existence in the outage, making his posts fall out of some (thread[page]) join comments join users query. the way the threads were broken seems like it'd either be a matter of pagination being cached (and that cache being rebuilt async?), or possibly simply an expectation that the join would never project comments away (which could be entirely legitimate if the corruption caused a foreign key constraint to be violated)

lowtax denies doing anything to zdr, and it seemed a pretty out there forum drama thing to have happen, so the outage loving up the db seems a better guess

i don't have a good grasp on the technical side of things but yeah it's too weird and funny to have been done intentionally

there was about an hour between when the posts first disappeared and when the database updated or whatever where the pagecount in threads that had many pages of zdr posts (trump thread, qcs tech thread) was all screwed up, which left the last however many pages in a weird limbo state where people could still post to them but they'd throw an error if you tried to browse to them

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

pram
Jun 10, 2001
NICE!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

forum dramas? during fontgate?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
so are there any plans to fix these dead failed sad old irrelevant forums or whats GOING ON

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
now's not the time to talk about fixing these dead forums

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
zdr def quit bc of lowtax. idk why he was doing all that work on the servers for free.

or maybe... maybe it was bc of the 1px font change :wth:! 😠! 😱!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
what happened to zdr, and did he take the forums down with him or what

pram
Jun 10, 2001
death comes soon

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Now I'm getting this whenever sometimes, apparently at random, when I try to page forward (to an unread page maybe? doesn't happen on already read pages) on a thread.

:waycool:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 6, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Schadenboner posted:

url=https://ibb.co/cjrFi

thanks imagetrumpet

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Now I'm getting this whenever I try to page forward (to an unread page maybe? doesn't happen on already read pages) on a thread.

getting that but only on the microsoft thread

probably for the best

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

getting that but only on the microsoft thread

probably for the best

But what if I really really wanted to see what cinci zoo sniper said?

:ohdear:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=477053874#post477053874

I'm clicking the twitter button and nothing useful is happening!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
it looks really bad

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

did the :pisstape: emoji kill zdr?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

either that or :maga:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
site rapidly collapsing like a lovely jalopy shaking apart at 40mph

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i actually went through every bit of that stupid thread in gbs. there are a few funny photoshops but holy poo poo the first third to half of it is nigh unreadable. there was a lot of whining at lowtax and he started banning a bunch of people including bbg which caused more people to jump in and carepost resulting in bans. after most of the concern trolls from imp zone were banned lowtax made a joke about cleaning house and zdr made a joke back that he should take him out too. i personally read it as sarcasm as a bunch of his posting pals had been banned for being dinks. around this time someone at steadfast hit the emergency off which killed everything in one of their dcs. something happened at the time that corrupted zdr's post history, but he wasn't banned and didn't quit. he even came to the thread, said he wanted no part in any drama and is still working on fixing poo poo in the database that got hosed up by the power being pulled from every server.

there are a few really funny photoshops/gifs in there, though like:

and this guy made a few good ones:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836478&userid=25825

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Schadenboner posted:

Now I'm getting this whenever sometimes, apparently at random, when I try to page forward (to an unread page maybe? doesn't happen on already read pages) on a thread.

Getting this too, and interestingly if I go to that thread and then hit reply, the unread posts don't appear below the post form either. It's like they don't exist at all. But I can see the unread posts number going up.

ghost posts :tinfoil:

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
another forum i used to visit a similar thing would happen. the number of posts in a thread was stored somewhere, i guess for optimisation. weird stuff happens and the pre calculated value gets out of sync, now the thread pagination is messed up.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

stinch posted:

another forum i used to visit a similar thing would happen. the number of posts in a thread was stored somewhere, i guess for optimisation. weird stuff happens and the pre calculated value gets out of sync, now the thread pagination is messed up.

yeah it usually gets denormalized on to the thread model so you can show the post count and page links in the forum index without a bunch of extra disk seeks

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

stinch posted:

the number of posts in a thread was stored somewhere, i guess for optimisation.

genuinely curious how this optimizes anything

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Roosevelt posted:

genuinely curious how this optimizes anything

you have to seek to (an index on) the posts table (which is the biggest and busiest table) to count the posts in a thread

you seek to 40 rows in the threads table to load the thread index in a forum

if you want to load counts for those that's another 40 hits on a posts index

forumdisplay.php gets hit more than newreply.php

(under non-fucky operation) the count only changes when newreply.php is hit

therefore you can save a lot of index hits by storing the post count on the threads table and only updating it when necessary

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
if it was on a good database and not mysql you'd have a matview for the thread index that calculates and updates post counts without a lock whenever the posts table is inserted, updated, or deleted

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
This forum has load bearing users that can't be deleted or the whole thing comes down.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

when the forums rebuild is finished all these problems will vanish

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i guess that's why sometimes you get a stuck post huh. the post count gets desynched from the post db?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

or all the users will go away, which I guess solves that problem too.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

i guess that's why sometimes you get a stuck post huh. the post count gets desynched from the post db?

probably, the forums are php and mysql, which are like the opposite of data integrity, and that's without the extra caching layers that represent more places to have inconsistencies

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what in tarnation

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

what in tarnation
pre:
div.pages select {
    min-width: 50px!important;
    /* height: 26px; */
    /* vertical-align: bottom; */
}
getting rid of the height and valign styles would fix it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm a very !important person.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Roosevelt posted:

Source you're quotes.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

there's not going to be a forums rebuild

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol. xenforo 2 is still beta.

really it was the ideal choice, lowtax ensured he'd never actually have to migrate the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this poo poo needs fixin'

• Locked thread