Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

At least with the Blink mind rape aftermath, there is a reason why they can't just use her to solve most of their problems.

lol if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball bullet.

Amy Acker is still the worst though, especially since they showed that all the kids are useful and that Polaris was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So are we up to four different characters with the power to turn people invisible or am I missing one or two? :xd:

A bit of a lower-key episode but I quite liked it, maybe more than the last one in a lot of parts. It had seemed like a forgone conclusion that Andy was just gonna get more and more emo and turn evil eventually, but now?...his future isn't quite so telegraphed.

I did think it was kinda dumb that Lorna couldn't just tell Marcos and Reed her plan over the phone, just so Andy could have his little freakout in the truck so that Reed could calm him. Like, if you're planning on flying a truck on a force field and then turning it invisible...that's really something you should let everyone in the truck know instead of just going "trust me okay!"

And oh yeah calling it that Lauren's new boyfriend is 900% a government hound and using his power to cover his tattoo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Why does the writing seem to treat the Struckers kids as if they were children, not teens? The Mom behaves like they're 10 or so, what the hell are you going to teach 16 year olds with random school books?

Everyone but the main characters is at least interesting.

And I hope they never try to make the Sentinel Services guy sympathetic. He's basically a SD officer rounding up Jews for the ovens at this point.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 8, 2017

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I really dug the presentation of the human screensaver and some of these other powers they presented.
I also did enjoy the development of baldy from a character who was determined, but had limits, into a more ruthless abuser of power. He's definitely not the same guy as a few weeks ago

BrianWilly posted:

A bit of a lower-key episode but I quite liked it, maybe more than the last one in a lot of parts. It had seemed like a forgone conclusion that Andy was just gonna get more and more emo and turn evil eventually, but now?...his future isn't quite so telegraphed.

I think his father now has a target on his back, story-wise. I assume it's going to be "Dad dies, Andy goes magneto"

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 8, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did kind of like how the show has been going more into the biological effects of using mutant powers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

My dead pool (:haw:) is currently on Dreamer. She'll die and John and Blink will have guilt sex about it.

twistedmentat posted:

Why does the writing seem to treat the Struckers kids as if they were children, not teens? The Mom behaves like they're 10 or so, what the hell are you going to teach 16 year olds with random school books?
I dunno, I know a few teenagers who could stand to crack open a few more books now and then. :v:

I think it's realistic for Cate to be overbearing and overcoddling with her teenage kids. I dunno if this is a cultural thing or not, but I don't actually know any mother that stops treating her children like children just because they're teenagers.

What I think is going to get real old real quick, though, is for her to have to relearn the same lessons over and over again, episode after episode. Like she'll see how important and practical it is for her and her family to bite the bullet about these issues, but then in the next episode it's "The world isn't that bad! Let's try diplomacy!! My kids???..???FIGHTING????.??" all over again well into season four or five or something.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 8, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

BrianWilly posted:

My dead pool (:haw:) is currently on Dreamer. She'll die and John and Blink will have guilt sex about it.

Nah, Dreamer is the obvious turncoat. John chooses Blink over her and she goes heel and betrays the resistance.

I like that we got a more direct X-Men reference this week. They're not around obviously but they have been in contact with people like John and could potentially show up later on. Blink off on her own it would be cool if we saw more direct references of existing properties, like her bringing in some of Gen X or the New X-Men. Of course who knows what the budget is looking like.

If I was choosing who to kill in this whole mess it would probably be the entire family. Mom and Dad are basically useless outside of being a crux for family related plots with the children. The son is really bad at acting, and the daughter is super hot, just turned 18 a few before the show began so she's going to have a lot of offers rolling in and is probably one 'Girl Next Door' away from thinking she's too big for this show.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ Chamber, Skin, Husk, Sync and M can all be done easily on a tight budget. Husk, Sync and M "pass" easily. Skin can keep his extra skin under his baggy clothing unless they just pull a Generation X TV Movie on him, and Chamber wears a scarf over his face like he does anyway.

howe_sam posted:

I wasn't paying super close attention during that scene, but did she really fix his nicked artery by sewing up the incision she made his in abdomen?

It sure looked like it. Mrs. Rainbowbeard yelled "Oh, COME ON" at the unrealism in the show about people with laser hands and mind control smoke breath.

twistedmentat posted:

Everyone but the main characters is at least interesting.

And I hope they never try to make the Sentinel Services guy sympathetic. He's basically a SD officer rounding up Jews for the ovens at this point.

So you don't like Fred's parenting style. That's okay. Some of had parents like that, unfortunately.

It's too late, though, SS Guy has lost his precious child, that's code for "feel sympathy for this guy."

BrianWilly posted:

I dunno, I know a few teenagers who could stand to crack open a few more books now and then. :v:

I think it's realistic for Cate to be overbearing and overcoddling with her teenage kids. I dunno if this is a cultural thing or not, but I don't actually know any mother that stops treating her children like children just because they're teenagers.

What I think is going to get real old real quick, though, is for her to have to relearn the same lessons over and over again, episode after episode. Like she'll see how important and practical it is for her and her family to bite the bullet about these issues, but then in the next episode it's "The world isn't that bad! Let's try diplomacy!! My kids???..???FIGHTING????.??" all over again well into season four or five or something.

I think you're on to something here.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I love the show, but what the hell were the writers thinking naming the supposedly heroic main characters after noted Nazis?
Like, is there a plan down the line to pull off a heel turn or did some exec just glance at a wiki article and go "Wow we should name them Strucker, it sounds cool"?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This is Fox's Ultimate universe, things don't have to go the same as the mainline?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

They’ve cast the actual Von Strucker Fenris Twins for an upcoming episode so expect that to be touched on sooner rather than later.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

BrianWilly posted:

And oh yeah calling it that Lauren's new boyfriend is 900% a government hound and using his power to cover his tattoo.

Looks like we have a winner.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Zebulon posted:

And Dad refuses to share because he's still a dumbass

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zebulon posted:

My first clue were the letters of fire fifty feet tall hovering over his head which spelled out, "I'M A SPY!"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh hey, Cromartie called them hounds.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Marcos should totally work for the cartel. Or at least let some other mutants do it. I'm sure there would be some of them that would in exchange for getting across the border to Mexico. No idea why the cartel needed him though when some gasoline and a lighter would have been just as effective haha. The writers should have thought of a better way to make him useful.

I like that the DOJ lady actually cares about the law, unlike Coby Bell who is will do anything to protect ARE FREEDOMS from TERRORISTS. Then she almost died :v:

I am very glad that mirage boyfriend is gone. The only way the family poo poo would have been worse is if there was a terrible romance plot tossed in.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 14, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm a little disappointed in Blink's great location reveal. The big ol' mysterious road that she couldn't even find without Thunderbird's superpowered mutant tracking abilities is...the orphanage left as a teenager that she totally in fact remembers?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
*Amy Acker frowns with earnest concern when her script for this week is identical to last week's: Mrs Strucker frowns with earnest concern.*

BrianWilly posted:

I'm a little disappointed in Blink's great location reveal. The big ol' mysterious road that she couldn't even find without Thunderbird's superpowered mutant tracking abilities is...the orphanage left as a teenager that she totally in fact remembers?

Yeah, this felt incredibly under-written.

e: X-Men: First Draft

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I've been watching this show, and it's been... you know, alright. But some meta-level poo poo had better happen pretty soon because I'm getting pretty bored of their little pointless interpersonal drama and not much happening. I didn't sign up for Archie: Superpowered.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They've been bringing every mutant in the country into one building and the feds have every road and mobile phone in the area monitored.

poo poo is going to have to hit the fan very shortly - or it never will.

EDIT: I just remembered that week before last, just after the bald agent who lost his kid told his team to monitor all phone traffic for keywords, the mob princess mentioned "your magnetic friend" in her conversation with the flashlight guy.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think the somewhat pointless usage of Flashlight hands' powers this week was to show us that he still gets a little thrill from blowing poo poo up, which was what his...ahem...acting....was suppose to imply after he torched the drugs. I think the whole idea of this episode was to show that most of the mutants are/were criminals in their previous life and they're trying to move past that but for some, it's still at odds with their nature. Seemed like the kind of story where you'd want to give the Son who loves blowing poo poo up something to do but ok.

Blink/Thunderbird storyline went nowhere other than bringing Blink back. Really disappointing because that could have been a nice introduction to more mutants other than just a dead end that gave Blink nowhere else to go and some reasons for fighting Sentinel Services other than just being a mutant.

I think the only thing that was really interesting was the acknowledgement of Strucker's father, and Trask. Both those elements should have bigger ramifications in the universe.

I gotta say, for a show using the X-Men source material that specifically decided to not be a part of the existing film canon, they're sure not making much use of the franchise. I could accept that for Legion because it was much more of a single character piece that was very much doing it's own thing. This however feels like there's little reason to avoid using any of the big names.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm amused that mutant training seems to entail throwing stuff at kids.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There was a dog in this episode.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

I think the somewhat pointless usage of Flashlight hands' powers this week was to show us that he still gets a little thrill from blowing poo poo up, which was what his...ahem...acting....was suppose to imply after he torched the drugs. I think the whole idea of this episode was to show that most of the mutants are/were criminals in their previous life and they're trying to move past that but for some, it's still at odds with their nature. Seemed like the kind of story where you'd want to give the Son who loves blowing poo poo up something to do but ok.

Right that makes more sense. Still seems silly that the mutant underground recruited him out of his position where he could help smuggle mutants into Mexico but :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think the underground would probably do better just releasing that Sentinel Services is just executing people at will.

This is a real terrible dystopia, I can totally see this being a prequel to Logan.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

twistedmentat posted:

I think the underground would probably do better just releasing that Sentinel Services is just executing people at will.

Do I need to make the #SentinelLivesMatter joke?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's also kinda irritating that this is the second time in as many weeks that someone got super mad at a love interest for not telling them a big secret that they should have told.

Wait, y'know what, it happened twice in this episode -- with Lauren at Wes and with Lorna at Marcos -- so, in addition to the Blink thing last episode, that's actually three times it's happened so far in two weeks. And in every single case it's a girl being mad at a guy for keeping something from her.

Man...I stress that this remains one of my favorite shows this year, but it's falling into some lazy habits.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I never knew meth was a mutant power
Makes sense I guess

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the first Stepford Cuckoo has been introduced, we can only hope for more to show up

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"You don't turn your back on desperate people because one of them might be dangerous." :911:

Family backstory was pretty good. I wonder how powerful Bubbles and Wobbles are when they combine powers hold hands.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Okay, this episode was pretty stellar. Pretty good writing, lotsa lore being expanded, plus some X-Universe factoids and namedrops. I was more excited to see Esme pop up than I ever would have expected, especially after she mentioned her "family."

Best of all was the part where people got over their issues and reconciled with each other instead of dragging out drama for ages. :buddy:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Yes, this was a good episode. Off-ing grandpa seemed a bit of a throw away but they explained Fenris which was cool and built into the overall narrative of 'Which way are the kids going to go?'.

I mean, I don't see the younger brother skinning his sister to use in a sword but they're definitely point his compass in the 'bad' mutant direction. Polaris and Flashlight both seem to be dancing on that line as well, it just takes different things to make them cross it. Flashlight seems to go bad when he taps deep into his powers, while Polaris just has a short fuse and zero patience(I know they said she's bi-polar but she hasn't been portrayed like that so far).

Esme showing up was a nice use of canon characters and I hope we see more mutants show up though I do wish the show had a bigger budget to support a wider/larger amount of powers.

Also people calling the brother and sister Bubbles and Wobbles never ceases to crack me up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the show was pretty reluctant to use the word 'nazi' when it came to the prior generations of Struckers though

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's very polite of Gifted to take next week off so as not to conflict with the big CW DC crossover.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Can't wait to see how things change at the refuge now Stryker knows he's a castrated mutant.

Also liked that "Stryker" is just an anglicised Von Strucker.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Can't wait to see how things change at the refuge now Stryker knows he's a castrated mutant.

Also liked that "Stryker" is just an anglicised Von Strucker.

I was also wondering if the introduction of Kick and knowing that his powers were neutered isn't going to lead to him getting blasted with Kick at some point and having his powers return. Grandpa seemed pretty sure that he'd gotten rid of the X-Gene in him but it's more likely he simply turned it off which explains why he was able to pass it onto his kids.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yea it's almost certain he will get his powers back at some point. Just gotta do some mutant meth first :v:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It'd be interesting if all this was actually leading to a Sublime takeover.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really liked the group power colab at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder how powerful Bubbles and Wobbles are when they combine powers hold hands.

One assumes we'll find out in the season finale when all hope seems lost...

• Locked thread