Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Again, this is one show where the heroes not killing the bad guys doesn't make sense. Trask and SS pretty much are the worst.

It was pretty awesome Team Work to bring down the speedster mutant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Bubbles and Wobbles will join hands to form the ultimate mutant: Bob.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Soooo, is Esme a hound or just really really really committed to getting the Cuckoo's back?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Soooo, is Esme a hound or just really really really committed to getting the Cuckoo's back?

I think she legitimately wants to save her fellow cuckoos

e: I really liked it and all, but I can't not laugh at the fact that the von Struckers were this superpowerful mutant team instead of losers who had their daddy give them twin laser powers

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 5, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I think so too now, but man that episode went out of its way to make her look as shady as possible.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

howe_sam posted:

I think so too now, but man that episode went out of its way to make her look as shady as possible.

I'll add an addendum
Esme wants to save her sisters, but is probably not a 'good guy'

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

C'mon show why you gotta keep blueballing us on Bubbles and Wobbles doing Fenris stuff.

howe_sam posted:

Thinking the latter.

Postal Parcel posted:

I'll add an addendum
Esme wants to save her sisters, but is probably not a 'good guy'

Yea this seems like a good read.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea this seems like a good read.

They just need a strong leader-figure to teach them how to live with their powers. A new character, perhaps - let's call her 'Gemma Crost'

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I think Esme's just pretty manipulative and trigger-happy in general. All the Cuckoos are at least a lil' bit shady in the comics, what with them being wards of shadiest lady in X-books, but Esme specifically is the one who ended up working with Magneto against the X-Men.

Anyway, I thought this episode was pretty great even though a bunch of it was just padding time until the finale, which I can't wait for!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

My favorite episode so far. Also hell yeah to the Hellfire Club name drop.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

BrianWilly posted:

Anyway, I thought this episode was pretty great even though a bunch of it was just padding time until the finale, which I can't wait for!

I wouldn't call it padding since stuff actually happened and they weren't just back to where we started at the beginning of the episode plus some character development. Hopefully, next week they won't just break everyone out and be back to status quo of hanging out in the bank searching for clues.

I hope the Hellfire Club shows up though, that would be sweet.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really don't care for this trend of having small seasons, most of the time it doesn't actually lead to better stories.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Oasx posted:

I really don't care for this trend of having small seasons, most of the time it doesn't actually lead to better stories.

13 is small? How many shows get the 20+ episodes a season these days? I think Agents of Shield is the only show I watch that has that many per season and really it felt like they were just giving it that many for syndication purposes.

Also it feels like everyone who critiques Marvel's Netflix shows think they run 4 episodes too long and those are usually only 13.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

22'ish episodes is still the standard for over the air broadcast network television with very few exceptions.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know, I could totally see Emma showing up in this, she's just well known enough for people to go "Oh cool!" but only have been in one movie and even then she was forgotten pretty quickly.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

You know, I could totally see Emma showing up in this, she's just well known enough for people to go "Oh cool!" but only have been in one movie and even then she was forgotten pretty quickly.

Two movies. :eng101:

But you've made your point very well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Two movies. :eng101:

But you've made your point very well.

Oh poo poo, she was in Wolverine Origins wasn't she? Silver Fox's sister....yea no wonder i forgot about her. It would be possible to have the Mass Academy running, with Frost's wealth and influence keep SS away, but also staying away from the Mutant underground. It would make sense that in the Gifted universe there would be a place were wealthy people could sent their mutant kids to avoid being dissected and enslaved.

Haha, I literally posted the Emma thing earlier just out of a guess based on guesswork but they straight up mentioned the Hellfire Club, so maybe.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 6, 2017

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

howe_sam posted:

22'ish episodes is still the standard for over the air broadcast network television with very few exceptions.

Only partially true for new shows these days. Multi-cam comedies and the most standard of procedurals get 22-24, most other shows have max 16.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I love this new trend in TV shows where people find out something terrible, like the twins being able to cause huge destruction, and actually do the sensible thing and tell them.

Drama through people not taking two seconds to talk to each other has always bugged the hell out of me. It's just so goddamn lazy.

Drama through people being idiots in every other aspect of their life* is perfectly okay :thumbsup:

* I am, of course, talking about Wobbles. Good lord that kid's a dipshit.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 6, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I actually really like this trend of not keeping secrets on this show. It seems like this show's producers don't want to go down the hole of "character has horrible secret and doesn't want X to find out!"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Eeeehh, to be fair, they've already done that a couple times in this show, even if it didn't happen this specific episode. The whole Blink's implanted memory thing? Marcos' cartel deal? Illusion Guy and his issues?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

I actually really like this trend of not keeping secrets on this show. It seems like this show's producers don't want to go down the hole of "character has horrible secret and doesn't want X to find out!"

I don't know if you watch Blindspot, but the whole premise of this season is that the bad guy is turning a team against each other because each one has a terrible secret that they can't possibly tell the others. The best part is that the team straight up figured this out in the first episode and still each week they're shocked to find out a new secret. It's ridiculous.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

Eeeehh, to be fair, they've already done that a couple times in this show, even if it didn't happen this specific episode. The whole Blink's implanted memory thing? Marcos' cartel deal? Illusion Guy and his issues?

All things that weren't allowed to stew for very long, to also be fair.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

I think for the most part, these things were resolved within the episode they were introduced (or if done near the end, resolved early in the following episode). Now admittedly this isn't a 22-24 episode series but too many shows would draw these secrets out for several episodes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorilla Salad posted:

I love this new trend in TV shows where people find out something terrible, like the twins being able to cause huge destruction, and actually do the sensible thing and tell them.

Drama through people not taking two seconds to talk to each other has always bugged the hell out of me. It's just so goddamn lazy.

Drama through people being idiots in every other aspect of their life* is perfectly okay :thumbsup:

* I am, of course, talking about Wobbles. Good lord that kid's a dipshit.

He's basically an angry teenager with a massive dick. Gotta swing it.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Wow
Tonight was a much more fun episode than I was expecting

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Holy poo poo, that ending with the Cukoos.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The show expects us to feel bad for Agent Turner, but gently caress him.

:rip: Sonia.

Zebulon posted:

Holy poo poo, that ending with the Cukoos.

Esme and her sisters are loving terrifying. :stonklol:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm on Team Cuckoos right now to be honest

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The show expects us to feel bad for Agent Turner, but gently caress him.

I weirdly liked that their play was just shaming him in front of the only person who could call him out.

So does Emma show up in the finale or next season's premiere?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's certainly kind of strange that Esme wouldn't just tell that underground that, hey, I have to two very powerful telepathic sisters in that truck and we could just steamroll Sentinel Services if we free them. She just really wanted to murder all those agents, I guess? My guess right now, after seeing the next ep preview, is that she's associated with either the Brotherhood or with the Hellfire Club, and that's just how they roll.

And not to toot any horns but my guesses have been pretty spot on so far sooo :v:

BrianWilly posted:

My dead pool (:haw:) is currently on Dreamer. She'll die and John and Blink will have guilt sex about it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

With Disney buying back the X-Men rights from FOX (among many others) I can't imagine this show will be getting renewed. Has there been any word from the creators about this?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I doubt the budget will allow for it but I really want to see Polaris fly out of Trask labs in the room made of an indestructible metal.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

BrianWilly posted:

It's certainly kind of strange that Esme wouldn't just tell that underground that, hey, I have to two very powerful telepathic sisters in that truck and we could just steamroll Sentinel Services if we free them. She just really wanted to murder all those agents, I guess? My guess right now, after seeing the next ep preview, is that she's associated with either the Brotherhood or with the Hellfire Club, and that's just how they roll.

And not to toot any horns but my guesses have been pretty spot on so far sooo :v:

Hellfire Club has already been mentioned so probably them.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Skyler Samuels is killing it as Emma Frost but less measured. Fantastic episode overall too, with a real sense of escalating threat from Campbell setting up what should be a good conclusion to the series with the Cuckoos and Fenris 2.0.

Agree that Agent Turner still sucks.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I like the idea of the character for Agent Turner but Mr.Bell is just not well suited to playing a character with the necessary emotional range to make him sympathetic. He's trying but it's just not there and comes off as very flat.

I hope that Esme is connected to a larger, evil mutant group, and they won't just roll back to the Underground and back to status quo.

I don't think Dreamer is dead; dead. They setup that Dr.Trask has a hound with healing powers, so I think they could bring her back believably.

One again the show did it's best job showing powers without showing them.

I think it would be a shame if this show was canceled due to the Disney/Fox deal but it's not exactly blowing me away with quality each week either. I'd be much more sad if it ended up that we didn't get more rated-R films or that Legion was canceled.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

PaybackJack posted:

I don't think Dreamer is dead; dead. They setup that Dr.Trask has a hound with healing powers, so I think they could bring her back believably.

Healing isn't resurrecting. They went to the trouble of showing Sonya's eyes being open and unresponsive, which is pretty much TV shorthand for "totally dead".

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The show is really good about doing away with television standards.

"Do it or I'll shoot this person" is usually an empty threat because we know usually the person being asked will comply. Instead, they say no and he just shoots Sonya cold. There's no build up. This whole episode wasn't about giving her a good send off. She is just straight up executed.

Also the dialogue this week was pretty good.

Holy poo poo Esme!

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Shame, Beautiful Dreamer was an interesting character. I liked the ambiguous nature of her powers. Also she was lovely to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

tessiebee posted:

Shame, Beautiful Dreamer was an interesting character. I liked the ambiguous nature of her powers. Also she was lovely to look at.

Way hotter than Magnemo

• Locked thread