Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think it was meant to make you sympathize. Campbell's motivations aren't "Ha ha ha! I'll get you this time, X-Men!" He's willing to do unspeakable evil (which he even acknowledges, in the funeral episode) not because he's crazy but for the mundane reason of why is it fair his brother has a genetic disorder killing him, and theirs gives them powers?

It makes him even worse.

The finale stuff was trying to really push the story that their enemies are anyone. Regular people laughing and joking and checking their Facebook pages during a break from the genocide conference. Like it seems to want to say Team Hellfire Club is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm not sure why this falls flat being I get that there's a real world topic issue here in the Hellfire club being a sort of AntiFa group but I guess I feel like maybe the issue is that the moderates would actually fall more on the side of hate groups if someone blew up a plane with Richard Spencer on it? Or maybe the problem is that people would need to see video of SWAT teams attacking halfway homes for homosexuals in the South before they'd feel like there was really a war against those individuals? Or maybe this is just the point where mutants being an allegory for minorities falls short.

It did feel like all the pieces were assembled and unfortunately our main characters were the 'moderates' which isn't a particularly popular place to be.

First half of the episode was kind of garbage, I liked that the second half things seemed to move along a bit quicker though. It didn't really build towards anything in future seasons and overall they could have cut out 80% of the episodes. This show would have worked better as a 4 part miniseries, but alas: network TV.

Also they loving Heroes'd us on the big fight between Fenris and the Hounds, that's never a good thing to do in a show about people with powers. Please give this show a bigger budget next go around.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PaybackJack posted:

It did feel like all the pieces were assembled and unfortunately our main characters were the 'moderates' which isn't a particularly popular place to be.

I like Stephen Moyer and all but the Struckers parents, while fine fish-out-of-water to guide us through the universe for the first episodes, don't really seem to have a place in the TV Show anymore. There's a bunch of human extremists and a bunch of mutant extremists. The ones caught in-between are people trying to be reasonable in the middle of an all-out war between two shadow organizations with super-powered fantasy people in a world where it's been more than established that mutants, for all intents and purposes, do not have any rights or public voice whatsoever. I can't see what interesting turn of events would stop these characters from fading in relevancy with each episode.

Honestly with the ending of this episode, I'm not even sure what the non-Hellfire Club mutants have left to do. I'm hoping that with the Doctor dead and Turner out of the agency there'll be more space for people to do diplomacy and maybe spice things up, because otherwise they'll just be a bunch of character screaming peace pointlessly at frothing warmongers for another season.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 17, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The doctor is Campbell.

Agent guy is Turner.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i was confused on peoples posts. I guess both Campbell and Turner have some tragic backstory, but it excuses nothing. It's like some Nazi's kid being hit by a jewish drunk driver and killed, and that totally excuses his kill all the jews mentality.

It was really hard to think blowing up the plane was some kind of moral quandary. If it was a commercial liner with hundreds of normal people on it, yea, then they're Escobar, but this was a private plane that looked like it was mostly the senator and Campbell's staff and probably some other genocide friends. What Lorna did was the moral decision. When you can kill Hitler, you kill Hitler.

I was reallllllly hoping the big guy would be referred to a Guido. I've kind of come around on him recently.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aphrodite posted:

The doctor is Campbell.

Agent guy is Turner.

Yeah my mistake.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I hope Burt Campell lives to be a hideous cyborg.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Elentor posted:

I like Stephen Moyer and all but the Struckers parents, while fine fish-out-of-water to guide us through the universe for the first episodes, don't really seem to have a place in the TV Show anymore.

Moyer and Acker are wasted if the show is going 100% mutant action, it doesn't help that their kids are the worst part of the show. But i would prefer the writers find a better role for them, than not be there at all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've said it before, but it bears repeating: they need to give Amy Acker powers.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: they need to give Amy Acker powers.

She's a mom and a nurse, both superpowers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

She also pulls some amazing faces.

I just worry that she'll get left behind by this show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Speaking of, pain removing mom would have been pretty useful so many times.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I really hope that skeevy handlebar mustache invisible guy and strog guy but not that strong guy are similarly impeccably groomed and decked out in fashionable leather the next time we see them.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I like how Lorna's jacket is also a Claymore mine.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rochallor posted:

I really hope that skeevy handlebar mustache invisible guy and strog guy but not that strong guy are similarly impeccably groomed and decked out in fashionable leather the next time we see them.

I really was hoping someone would call out "Guido!" when he walked away.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I don't know if I'm gonna watch season 2 unless they make some big changes. The show had progressively improved over the season but then regressed in the finale. Less manufactured drama, less family poo poo (listen, I know people like Amy Acker but she is TERRIBLE on this show), and the whole central conflict between do we kill/remain passive is so out of touch and uninteresting considering the common people/government are even more genocidal than in the real world. Like they are actively being hunted to death and shot on sight or turned into weaponized zombies, what the gently caress is their end goal if not to resist?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It feels like origonally the finale has Doctor Kill and Senator Genocide on a commercial plane and not a private plane, but it was changed when they were shooting, though dialog was not.

Turner is probably going to join the Purifiers next season, and they'll be burning mutant babies in their cribs and characters will still be going "no we can't kill them!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah I don't know if I'm gonna watch season 2 unless they make some big changes. The show had progressively improved over the season but then regressed in the finale. Less manufactured drama, less family poo poo (listen, I know people like Amy Acker but she is TERRIBLE on this show), and the whole central conflict between do we kill/remain passive is so out of touch and uninteresting considering the common people/government are even more genocidal than in the real world. Like they are actively being hunted to death and shot on sight or turned into weaponized zombies, what the gently caress is their end goal if not to resist?

Amy Acker has always been terrible, she's just in Whedon shows so people convinced themselves they liked her.

See also Eliza Dushku, though Dollhouse pushed them over the edge.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Head or gut?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Aphrodite posted:

Amy Acker has always been terrible, she's just in Whedon shows so people convinced themselves they liked her.

She was good in Person of Interest; though now that I've seen her in something else I'm of the opinion that was more due to the quality of the writing than her actual acting ability.

Dushku was never good though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can definitely understand members of the resistance not wanting to kill people if there's any other possible alternative. I can even still understand members of the resistance not wanting to kill people who are just following orders or just trying to do their jobs because that's just gonna pull down their own cause even further.

At this point though I'm having a really hard time with their stance not to kill anyone, ever, for any reason whatsoever. Like we have moved waaaay past that point once the opposition had introduced literal enslavement into the equation.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

No, Five By Five was always annoying... in Dollhouse she wasn't nearly as annoying.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

No, Five By Five was always annoying... in Dollhouse she wasn't nearly as annoying.

You both suck.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I should rephrase that. I like Eliza Dushku, I just don't really like Five By Five that much. I liked her in Dollhouse.

I like Amy Acker, I liked her as Fred/Illyria, but I wish she would chillax on this show... then again, the parent's behavior isn't really out of line for involved parents. It just feels like it gets in the way of my X-Men soap opera stories.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I should rephrase that. I like Eliza Dushku, I just don't really like Five By Five that much. I liked her in Dollhouse.

I like Amy Acker, I liked her as Fred/Illyria, but I wish she would chillax on this show... then again, the parent's behavior isn't really out of line for involved parents. It just feels like it gets in the way of my X-Men soap opera stories.

She's at the mercy of the writers.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Amy Acker is “bad” in this because her character is totally joyless. She gets to be worried, sad, or occasionally to give a stern lecture. There are no other textures or nuances to explore than boilerplate Mom or Wife. So, yeah, it sucks, but it’s not her fault.

I feel like lots of shows do this to at least one woman in the cast. “You get to be the moral compass or some custodian of other’s feelings, guaranteeing you never get fun arcs and never get to explore flaws or wrinkles that could possibly be interesting.” Both the Strucker parents are a bummer that way, but Dad at least has *something* defining him outside that. Amy Acker gets to comfort strangers and worry about her kids.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xealot posted:

Amy Acker is “bad” in this because her character is totally joyless. She gets to be worried, sad, or occasionally to give a stern lecture. There are no other textures or nuances to explore than boilerplate Mom or Wife. So, yeah, it sucks, but it’s not her fault.

I feel like lots of shows do this to at least one woman in the cast. “You get to be the moral compass or some custodian of other’s feelings, guaranteeing you never get fun arcs and never get to explore flaws or wrinkles that could possibly be interesting.” Both the Strucker parents are a bummer that way, but Dad at least has *something* defining him outside that. Amy Acker gets to comfort strangers and worry about her kids.

I remember the sequence with she and Marco at the hospital showed some decent sides to the character; not the bullshit boohoo I'm so sheltered now I'm learning a lesson rubbish. I'm talking about the part where she gets her poo poo together and decides to help him break out of hospital. Acker pulls the most amazing face when she makes the decision that her character is just going to go for it. It's goofy and funny, but more relatable and believably down to earth than any of the cookie-cutter nonsense that scripts throw about to prove how normal and apple pie she and her family are.

It's moments like that that make me think she's a really good actress, and I honestly wish I had a gif of it to prove my point -- not that I want to oversell it any more than I already am. But it's small, and I can totally understand why people might not appreciate what she's bringing to a role that's basically boring as bread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Head or gut?

There's no way you can make that shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I don't know where they're going next season, but I hope Russian stone-faced mutant fear elf guy plays a bigger role.

Coolest character of the series despite getting all of 10 seconds of screen time.

• Locked thread