Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Marvel Girl
PP: 2 | XP: 3

Jean walks in, hands in pockets as she declines to sit for the moment.. "We were united and the Brotherhood was divided. Pretty badly, actually. We owe a lot to Mastermind for switching sides..." She looks thoughtful. "... despite the fact that somebody's been interfering with her mind pretty severely. Subtly, but severely. It's the kind of programming I haven't seen before. And she's not alone. I guess it's one way to win people to your side, but it didn't make them much of a team."

"It might be easier to show than tell- wait. Anybody here read lips?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Colossus
PP: 3 | XP: 7

"I can barely read in English," said Colossus with a shrug. He was standing behind Jane, hands resting on the back of her chair.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Wolverine
PP: 3 | XP: 20

Jane shrugs, "Yeah, I can read lips. Came in handy a few times on the street."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cyclops
PP:
1 | XP: 3 | Stress: d8

"If someone has been messing with her memories, it makes me wonder if this sudden turn might also be motivated by that..." Sarah pondered. Trying to ignore the fact her hair was sticking up more then an anime character. "Do we know of any mutants who can alter a memory? I hate to think her actions aren't entirely of her own volition, but if someone did it once, there's no telling if they tried again, or what else they might attempt..."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
And there it was. If Jean had not been on edge, she might have missed it, but she was the only one who noticed. The only one who could notice. A psychic presence that slunk along the fringes of the subconscious, almost imperceptible. If Xorn's mind had shone like a star, this one faded into the background like a shadow. A shadow cast by Charles Xavier.

But it wasn't Charles Xavier's mind.

It was someone — something — else entirely. Even the Professor was unaware of it, as it hid in the blind spot of his mental perception. Only emerging when his mind was preoccupied, to exert its will unnoticed. Like a parasite of the psyche.

The aura of this shadow was utterly unfamiliar to Jean except in one way: she had felt its faint echo inside Mastermind's memories. This parasite was what had altered her memories of that day, quite possibly at the very moment they were formed. A malevolent whisper in her ear as Charles Xavier's mind was too stunned by the emotions of his students to notice.

In all their sessions together, Jean had never once suspected that the Professor had another entity inside his head. It was unnerving that anything like this could even exist, let alone inside the head of quite possibly the greatest telepath ever. How long had it been there? Hiding deep below the surface, waiting for opportunities to strike. To use Charles Xavier's own powers to tear down his dream, his life.

The shadow was receding, seemingly aware that it had been discovered. If there was ever a time to strike, it was right now.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marvel Girl

To Jane, Jean starts up with, "Well, I could use-" She halts, and then looks straight over to Xavier. Her hands clench into fists suddenly as she tenses up, and it was only a moment, but she couldn't hesitate. Reaching out with psychic claws- claws? Well, it could be knives. It's "just" a metaphor, but she's working where metaphors are everything. She reaches out to try and grasp the shadow and pull, grasp, catch - anything but let it just slip away into the recesses of Charles' mind. "No you don't.", she says to the air. "No, no, you do not."

There's something imperceptible but potent suddenly from her, as if all the doubts she had about her power melted away. There wasn't time for them. Her guardian- savior- friend had been poisoned somehow, and all there was for her to do was rush in and fight.

Rolling to inflict the complication "Psychic Grasp" on whatever-it-is, spending 1 PP to keep an extra die and using Mutant Alpha: Solo d8 + Fight Over Flight d8 + Telepathy d10 + Mutant Alpha d10 + Psych Expert d8 = 25 with a d10 effect, no opportunities.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Jean's psychic grasp wrenched the parasite back into the open, pulling it away from the Professor. It struggled, desperate to get away. It might have had the power to do so, it was as strong as anything she had ever encountered, but it lacked the time. After avoiding notice for this long, Jean had effectively shone a light on it.

The shadow-thing took form as it was slammed against the wall, not dislodging so much as a speck of dust from the bookshelves. A purely psychic blow as Xavier added his psychic might to Jean's, the two of them easily holding the creature down together, even as it fought back. Its chance to escape unseen was gone, it was two against one now.

An unexpected guest, thought the Professor, his mind's voice strained as he used his mental strength on the parasite. But he managed to remain calm enough to extend his perception out to the rest of the team, letting them see through his thoughts. The wraith that was still connected to his head with trailing tendrils of psychic residue was now visible to everyone in the room. You shouldn't be so shy. Say hello to everyone.

Well, that's the end of hide-and-go-seek, isn't it? The parasite thought with a dry voice and a distinct accent, sounding very human for something that so clearly wasn't. It chuckled, its astral form developing slowly into a person-like shape. It looked like Xavier himself... but only for a moment. Then came a sharper jawline, a more statuesque build, like some museum piece wrought from marble. Still cast in darkness, though, as if it existed only where light could barely reach it. Still, quite a good run.

It has been quite some time since last we met, replied Xavier. Hasn't it, Adonis?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Marrakesh, twenty years ago:

Dressed in an impeccable white suit, a large man sat at a table in a small coffee house, small dark glasses hiding his eyes. He did not move, he did not drink, but every now and again a finger twitching or a slight movement of his head indicated he was still alive.

The chair opposite him was pulled out by a younger man, dressed more like a tourist with dusty khakis and a polo shirt. He placed both hands on the table, fingers steepled together. "Charles Xavier. I do believe you have my watch."

"Adonis Fourie," replied the larger man, lips quirking up into an unnatural, forced smile. "I do believe you are mistaken."

I assure you, I am not, Xavier's thoughts came, the conversation shifting to unspoken. The smile faltered, and then became genuine.

Aha.

Now:

Those worse for wear after the battle at Times Square had been sent to the infirmary, leaving just Jean, Jane, and Pyotr present. Pyotr was also a little worse for wear, but no force on Earth could have made him go back to the infirmary for another five minutes. Not when this was happening.

Almost an hour had passed since Jean and the Professor had caught the psychic parasite, and it had assumed an almost fully human form. Purely psychic, however, unable to be seen or perceived in any way by the others without the Professor filtering the information into their heads.

Adonis, if that's what this creature truly was, seemed to be rather unconcerned at this point. It might have been false bravado, but the heavy chains and cables trailing from his body that led back to the Professor's own head made it clear that even though he had been discovered, he was still also inside there... somewhere.

"I suppose I got careless," said Adonis, with an offhand gesture. His words were telepathic, but sounded like they were spoken as the Professor made him "real" for the non-telepaths in the room. "After twenty years, perhaps it was inevitable. Still, rather nice to get out and... stretch my legs."

He laughed until he found himself being pressed against the wall again, his head twisting to the side as unseen pressure was exerted on it.

"Can't take a joke, Charles?" His eye flicked from the Professor to Jean, his grimace becoming a grin. "Or was that you, my dear? It's hard to tell."

The door opened and Ms. Wagner came in, short of breath. As she straightened up she jumped, startled, suddenly and unwittingly aware of the presence of Adonis as the Professor shared his mental view with her. "Some warning, Charles, please, before you have me seeing ghosts."

"Not a ghost, Nocturne," said the Professor, keeping his eyes on Adonis. "Something far more dangerous. Did you bring them?"

Ms. Wagner gave an uneasy nod, and waved in the four students who had been waiting outside the door. They each had their own reaction as the Professor linked with their minds one by one, letting them see Adonis with their own eyes.

"Storm, Wolfsbane, Blink, and... Lee," said Ms. Wagner, and hesitated. "Charles, I know what you said, but... they haven't even gone through any sort of training yet!"

"Desperate times call for desperate measures," said Adonis, mockingly. Ms. Wagner levelled a finger at him, looking furious.

"I will tear you out of there myself if I have to," she hissed.

"You four have been on my shortlist for the team for some time now," said the Professor to the new arrivals. "Perhaps not the best grades overall, but you've shown growth, resourcefulness, and adaptability in the face of duress. I should like to introduce you all, as my X-Men, to this man here. His name is Adonis Fourie."

"Charmed, of course," said the wraith. It was hard to tell if he meant it or not, and which option would be worse. No amount of good looks could disguise the disgusting personality on display.

"Twenty years ago, he was a telepath of comparable skill and power to myself," continued the Professor in a matter-of-fact tone, "and he used these gifts to operate a petty criminal empire from the shadows. I was out seeing the world when one of his mind-slaves took my watch from my hotel room. I followed the trail back to him, and we... met. Face-to-face, mind-to-mind."

"I would hardly call it a petty empire," sneered Adonis. "I was rich as Croesus."

"In Adonis, I saw a nightmare. My powers, my skill, with none of the empathy or the compassion. A man who would ruin lives, end lives, just for his own amusement and selfish desires. A monster made flesh. In me, Adonis saw a rival, someone who would not be cattle for his slaughter, a threat to his existence. So we fought, mind-to-mind. Invading each other's brains with the intent to destroy that which we found abominable in each other. I managed to succeed."

"I played with my food," said Adonis with a wide smile, too wide for comfort. A face that wasn't really there could contort in disturbing ways. "While Charles went for the kill, shutting down my powers directly, I decided to take him apart slowly... piece by piece. Alas, I only made it halfway up."

"Clearly," said the Professor, not rising to the bait, "he left something of himself behind, in my head. Which is why I would be very much obliged if all of you would go in there and get it out for me."

He made it sound so simple, but it was Ms. Wagner who broke the silence first.

"Sorry, Charles, you want them to what?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 3 | XP: 10

Jane doesn't know where to start with psychic remnants or monsters or whatever, so she focuses on the immediate: violence. She flicks her claws out, looks at them skeptically, and says, "Professor, you and me both know that I'm more suited to a... hands-on approach, let's say. And you want us to go beat up a psychic in your head? That seems like more Red's... Jean's jam, y'know?"

The newcomers were a little easier to grasp: she remembered Wolfsbane from classes, plus the dead giveaway of the animal scent. Jane had picked up on her the moment she was on the same floor. Storm smelled like ozone, pretty distinctive. Lee... ah, right, her. No little sympathy for being on the wrong end of the law. And Blink? She had a talent for being everywhere she shouldn't be. Could prove useful.

Spent 10xp to add a new SFX to Feral Mutant, and also swapped out my second milestone!

Tricky fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 7, 2018

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The Professor held up the imaginary, but still quite real, chains that were attaching Adonis to him. They had no real theme or coherence to them. They were chains, cables, ropes, wires, vines and brambles, all tangled together and sometimes going from one type to the other.

"Whatever we see out here is is a powerful fragment of Adonis Fourie's psyche, but still just a fragment. An appendage of sorts."

"The middle finger," interjected Adonis.

"The rest is still somewhere inside my mind. It is not truly a part of me, but more like a... psychic tapeworm," the Professor continued, ignoring the shadow. "You may not be psychics like Jean and myself, but you are still minds. You have strong self-image, determination... stubbornness and pride. With your minds inside my own, you will be able to engage this entity on equal footing. Adonis has had twenty years to prepare himself for me, he has had all of sixty minutes to prepare himself for all of you."

"It's a ridiculous idea, Charles," said Ms. Wagner with a sigh.

"Yes!" The Professor beamed, looking cheerful for the first time in a while. "Who would ever see it coming?"

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee
PP: 0 | XP: 1

"Maybe him," Lee chimes in, pointing to the creepy shadow man that apparently has just been living inside her ostensible caretaker of the past two years. "Considering you just told him all of it."

If it hadn't been Ms. Wagner, Lee never would have come down here. Not because she likes her - though she did only needed to be told once before she got the name down - but because the locks here are even less effective against her than most of the faculty.

She recognizes all the faces in the room, even if Lee doesn't know most of their names. What fun. A team-building exercise with strangers, going into the head of the man who's at least on paper supposed to be her shrink.

1 XP for being a constant raincloud

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 8, 2018

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Third person posts, please, for ease of readability.

"He already knows whatever I may plan to do, Ms. Lee," the Professor chided. "He is in my mind, after all. But that also means that anything I cannot anticipate, he cannot anticipate either."

"That's called chaos, Charles," said Ms. Wagner. "You want to put a half dozen teenagers in your psyche and let them run amok, chasing an angry psychic ghost?"

"Yes," said the Professor, nodding. "I mean, haven't you seen Fantastic Voyage?"

"Charles," groaned Ms. Wagner, her face in her hands.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane
PP: 1 | XP: 0

Rene gulps as the door is opened. Ears flat against her head (No, no they're not. My ears don't do that they're at the side of my head. Shut up wolf me) So many smells, interesting smells, familiar smells. Rene clenches her fists tight, and tries very very hard not to start snuffling at the furniture. She also attempted to stop her hips shifting back and forth at the sight of some of her classmates, but that was easier said then done. She could at least kinda sorta hide it, as long as no one was staring at her rear end. She felt pretty safe in assuming no one was going to be.

Because she, like everyone else was staring at the nightmare made not-flesh. It was... wrong. It smelt of nothing. The Wolf in her wanted to growl at it. She scowled instead. Not trusting the monster in front of her as far as she could throw... Well, okay she could throw things pretty far. Super strength was great for that. No, better metaphors were needed.

She trusted it like a dog trusts a vacuum cleaner!

Rene didn't really trust them ether, they unsettled her. She knew which side of her was to blame for that at least.

"Uhhh...." She said. "How are we going to do, any of that? Forgive me Professor. I know you've been in my head before, but I've got a wet nose, and a glossy coat, and I'm pretty sure psychically entering someone else's head is a little beyond me."

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 7, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Storm

Kiania wasn't sure what to expect when she walked into the room, but never in a million years did she ever expect to be asked to go into the professor's mind to fight a psychic ghost monster. She's gone through some training, sure, but how do you even begin to train for a situation like this? A part of her isn't sure if she's ready for a mission like this, but the professor believed she was ready. He called her in today because he trusted her, and she isn't about to break that trust.

And, hey, who knows, it might be fun to take a peak into the professor's psyche!

"Yes," she eventually speaks up, her accent coming in thick, "I was about ask the same thing. And I'm guessing we'll still be able to use our powers somehow while we're inside your head?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Blink
PP: 1|XP: 0

There was a lot of trepidation about the whole suggested mission in the room alongside the discorporated psychic parasite thing, it seemed.

And then, on the other hand, was Blink. She tilted her head as she entered the room with everyone else and listened as the Professor, the Adonis thing, and Ms. Wagner argued, and then as the other students started speaking up, voicing their concerns. And then Clarice piped up.

"Wow, an X-Man, huh? That sounds neat! Though maybe it'll give certain people the wrong idea. Maybe it could be like, X-Person or X-Folk, yeah? X-Folx?"

While she talked, the young mutant strode into the room confidently, not unlike a kitten who decided suddenly that the big dog in the room was not at all scary. She pointed at the manifestation of Adonis and her emerald eyes gleamed for a moment.

"This sounds like fun, to me. I know very many places where I can put a freeloader...though I don't suppose that'll work exactly. Can we all fit in your head, anyway, Professor? Should we hold hands? Is there a tuning fork involved?" Like a pixie stick made manifest, Clarice said every suggestion that started coming to her mind. "Or, how about..."

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 8, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Jane, feeling like something of an expert when it came to psychic weirdness for once, says, "I figure it'll be a lot like that thing that Jean does when she connects us all up, but more. Plus, the way I figure it, the Professor and Jean'll be doing the hard part. We just need to punch that psychic creep in his mental... nose... projection...?" The steam rapidly left her sails as the metaphor escaped her grasp. Still, whether in an attempt to impress her new peers or simply from single-minded stubbornness, she charges forward. "And, yeah, if it's like anything I've done with the Professor before, it's all about your mental image of yourself... so probably yes to powers."

Tricky fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 8, 2018

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Adonis rolled his eyes and scoffed at Blink's exuberance, or possibly something else. He definitely seemed irritated by something she'd said, more than anything else that had been levelled at him so far. He definitely didn't have any smart comebacks for the time being. The Professor hadn't noticed, more interested in the conversation taking place between his students.

"You will have... not your powers, exactly, but how you perceive your powers to work. Much like how you will perceive your own body. It's actually quite fascinating in practice–"

"Focus, Charles!" Ms. Wagner seemed to be close to getting a migraine. "Please. You can do a whole lecture about this after... after this gets sorted out."

"Oh, right," said the Professor, casting a sidelong glance at Adonis. "Yes."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Colossus
PP: 3 | XP: 7

It was- pretty difficult for Pyotr to really put into words what was going on. His eyes were still bright blue, ears were still ringing and he (as Wolfsbane had no doubt clocked the moment she stepped into the room) needed a shower. His metal form didn't sweat, but apparently he got all of it out at once as soon as he went back to flesh and blood. He stood there, behind Jane in her seat, and watched the newbies arrive, brow furrowed and letting a wall of tension run over him. His fingers dug into the back of her seat. He listened to all the ideas about going inside the Professors head. And then at the thought of things being a projection of their own interior thoughts. He shook his head.

"No. I am staying out here," he said, folding his arms. "Черт возьми, you are not seeing inside my head," he said, holding his hands up. Even if you didn't speak Russian, you got a very strong 'gently caress that' vibe from his tone. "I live with psychics and experts in reading body language. Marius is the only other man my age- He can back me up. This place is like nightmare," he said.

Plus- well, he wasn't great around psionics. He'd lost his sister to it, after all. Maybe. Maybe that was psionics. It was certainly something outside the realms of normal reasoning.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink

Blink catches Adonis' clear frustration with a puckish smirk, and then brings her attention to the rest of the group. The big guy, who she believed was named Pyotr?, specifically.

All at once, like a spring releasing its tension, Clarice bounded across the room again and stopped at Colossus' side, grinning up at him.

"You are a very large person, Mr. Pyotr." She comments, as if she just noticed it. Just a statement. Maybe just the thought she had bubbling up to the surface again. The big guy spoke Russian, right? Clarice hadn't spent a whole lot of time in Russia, but she had picked up a few phrases. Her accent was still most likely well, Bahamas-esque, but, she could at least say hi. And...which way to the bathroom, but that was less relevant now. "Привет, мое имя Clarice. I don't remember if we were introduced before." Wait, where was she going with this again?

Oh yeah, she remembered now. "I think that perhaps it would be best if we had you along with us. You've been with our dear Professor before, yes? I mean, as an X-Man? I am very unsure about what goes on inside other people's heads but I think maybe being inside someone else's means we should best have a chaperone? Clearly the Professor can't be that since he's where the uh, field trip is, no?" Uh oh, this had turned into a school analogy. And they were already in a school! Both boring AND lame!

"Uh, I mean - what I mean is, since the four of us" she gestures at the other new arrivals "are clearly untested, perhaps it would be for the best if we had the rest of you there to...make sure we don't...get turned around, or something?"

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 8, 2018

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee
PP: 1 | XP: 1

"Yeah, because it won't be crowded enough already between us, the Professor, and his jackass negative." Lee had already pulled up her hood and squatted by the door with a muttered 'It's just Lee,' at the Professor's response to her, and she doesn't raise her head to bother making eye contact alongside her comments. "I'm with the big guy. A world of self-perception already sounds like a nightmare; airing that kind of poo poo to a room of people I've barely said two words to collectively before today?" She hunches her shoulders and tugs her hood down further over her face. "I'd rather not just for all of your sakes."

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 8, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marvel Girl

Jean just glares quietly at Fourie's shadow, as it were. If looks alone could kill... well. Hers probably could, so it's a bad metaphor. Would is another story, but she's clearly not as jovial as the Professor.

She gets up, and then looks to the others. "I can guide you. But we're working with will and metaphors. Your powers are useful because they're a part of how you see yourself. And together, we can do a lot more." After a moment, she looks to Colossus. Well, a stare. An accusing one. "That'll make for an interesting chat with Sage.", she says irritably. "'Oh, I could have helped deal with the monster brainwashing your sister, but I was afraid of being caught with my psychic underwear down.'"

A slight shake of her head, and she looks over to the others. "Storm, Wolfsbane, Blink, and... Lee?" Matching faces to powers wasn't that hard there for the most part, but- "Lee" was a bit trickier. "Make sure you have somebody else to focus on. I'll be keeping us linked as best I can, but it's possible we'll get separated. The Professor will be trying to make things easier for us, though." She looks to Jane before turning back to the others. "We'll probably have to deal with the worst parts of ourselves. Seriously, it's going to suck. But that's why you're superheroes... even if it's for the first time."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane

"Uh huh, my worse side is a freaking super wolf." She muttered. She knew she had to do it. But that didn't stop a small amount of trepidation.

Not the Wolf though. It smelled a hunt. It smelled prey it could not smell. Ears perked forward. Shoulders hunched as through straining at the leash. Hungry to run and chase.

Rene realised her mouth was open, tounge out, panting. She quickly closed it and subtly wiped her chin. God. This was going to be fun.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 8, 2018

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee

At Jean's mention of superheroes, Lee snorts a laugh. Seriously? Everyone else just was a lot more subtle about being a friggin' nut. Still, at least it's nice to know she's been in the right place the past two years. It had been scary, thinking she was almost really out again. Good to be grounded again.

Lee can't help a second snort at Wolfsbane's deep personal revelation. "With a name like that? I'm shocked," she says, as she hoists herself up to her feet. "You know what? Fine. Let's do this. It ought to be a riot." What's the point trying to hide it anyway? Everyone here had to know she was the Academy's dirty little secret. Might as well have a laugh at what everyone else thinks are their worst problems.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"There will be dangers, of course, but exposing your own psyche and thoughts won't be one of them, I assume you. Think of your mental projection as like a vehicle that–"

"It's basically like Inception," said Ms. Wagner, interrupting again. "You've all seen that, right?"

"I haven't," said the Professor.

"Yes, I know you haven't," said Ms. Wagner. "Otherwise you'd be explaining this better. Basically, what the Professor will do is form a bridge between your minds, but instead of him going into your mind like usual, he'll bring you into his mind. You won't be broadcasting any embarrassing crushes or fantasies, much like the Professor doesn't transmit his love of musicals when he's in someone else's brain. If that happened we'd all end up humming tunes from Little Shop of Horrors every time he couldn't be bothered to use a phone."

"Yes, Talia, thank you," said the Professor, after clearing his throat a little too loudly. "I do believe that time is of the essence, however. I cannot force any of you to do this, but... I'm asking. I need your help."

Marvel Girl, Colossus, and Wolverine all get 3xp for having finished the previous episode, by the way.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Colossus

Pyotr looks down at Blink. God, his arm was thicker than her waist. She was tiny. He raised an eyebrow and nodded. "I get that more often than you would think," he said with a nod before being caught off guard by Jean.

Fine. She made a good point. He exhaled sharply through his nose and nodded, pushing up and away from Jane's chair. He then looked over at Lee and - oh good! Another person that's too cool for all this poo poo. Her and Jane'll get along like a house on fire. Is that the right expression? He'd never met Lee before. He'd seen her skulking around but- well, outside of the X-Men and Rita he more or less kept himself to himself. His English was probably better than he thought it was but he was still getting comfortable talking to random people.

"I will follow your lead, Jean." He looked at the newcomers. "As soon as we are in there, you are no longer students. You are no longer just yourselves acting for yourselves. You are X-Men. You represent something higher than any of us by ourselves."

Sure, it maybe sounded corny. He paused.

"How do we get out once we are in, by the way?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink

Clarice beams happily up at Colossus as he accepts the mission. Sure, it was almost certainly due to Jean's comments rather than Blink's, but that didn't stop her from her sunbeam of a smile and clapping excitedly.

"Oh, good good, we're all in agreement then?"

Of course, she'd met sour faces like Lee's before. Always a stormcloud and being grumpy about something. "How dare you take that, I'm going to call the police!" they'd say. Never a "Thank you for coming to visit my home Clarice!". Well, she knew just what to do.

She scooted over to the other girl, peering closely at her clothing choices , even as she commented on everyone else's comments. "If this is like Inception, I want to be the Tom Hardy part, I rather enjoyed the way he said darling." She picks at the collar of Lee's top and then perked up. "You would look really good with bright green hair." She says with a smile, then, as if it was all part of the same conversation, "We get out the same way they do in Inception, yes? We wake up. Though I suppose since this isn't a dream dying isn't an easy fix. More like the Matrix. Dying there means dying here, yeah?"

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 8, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 3 | XP: 13

Jane snorts, "Dying's a bad look in general, kid. I don't recommend it." She hops to her feet, clearly ready to go spelunking in a mindscape and beat down a psychic parasite. "Alright, Professor, ready when you are."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"A very commendable attitude, Ms. Doe, but this is one adventure that begins with taking a seat," said the Professor. "After all, physically you won't be going anywhere. Just like with our sessions together, get comfortable and open your mind to mine."

"It'll be so much fun having company over," said Adonis, gleefully. "I'll show you all those memories Charles doesn't want anyone finding."

"Try not to confuse whatever fantasies he creates with the real thing," said the Professor. "Jean should be able to tell the difference, if it's not blindingly obvious. Is everyone prepared? I know not all of you have done this before, so just... think of it as settling down to daydream."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Storm

Kiania finds herself grinning at Colossus' little speech, "Well then, I'll make sure I'll live up to those expectations." She turns to the professor, showing a little more confidence than she was before, and says, "I'm ready to start my first journey as an official X-man, professor. I'm prepared to give that creep inside your head a good zapping!"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Jane settles back in her seat, a rare self-effacing grin on her face as she says, "Right... I meant more, like, metaphorically ready." She looks over towards the collection of newbies, adding, "You heard the man. Get comfy."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane

"Let the Goddesses lead us. Let us be as moths, unto the Moon. The Silver Mother shall guide our hands." Rene intoned. She settled into the seat next to Wolverine. Her smell was somewhat comforting.

"We go to face darkness. Let our faith be our torches, our lanterns. Our faith in each other, and the Gods. There is no challenge we cannot face and overcome." She continued her little speech. Feeling better already as she invoked her faith. Praying that her deities would protect the others, just as much as they would her.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink

Clarice quirks up an eyebrow in confusion at Wolfsbane's impromptu sermon. "Well, uh...I don't know about all of that...but the sentiment is nice!"

She parks herself, in an incredibly unpracticed and sloppy lotus pose, on the opposite side of the circle. "Oh, should we have a safe word to identify each other or is that too...specific?"

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee

Lee maintains a withering sidelong glare through Blink's entire preening of her, shoulders hunching and head sinking alongside her half-mumbled "m'sure," at the suggestion she try green hair again. She couldn't know. Right?

Slouching back into a seated position against the wall, Lee rubs the bridge of her nose and closes her eyes as Wolfsbane does her little prayer. If she could even muster much faith at all, Lee's sure as hell wasn't in the moon or this team. Surreptitiously slipping in an earbud under her hair, Lee leans her head back against the wall and waits for whatever's going to happen to... happen.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Now, even though I will be bringing you in – and out, yes – of my mind, my interaction with you will be limited by necessity. The less present I am, the less compromised you will be. Jean will be able to contact me, of course, but only in emergencies. Or, of course, when you have completed your mission and excised this parasite," the Professor said, his voice calm and steady like the waves of a tranquil ocean. "The mental landscape you will be travelling through will be made up of my memories, my thoughts, my feelings, my dreams. Everything that makes me who I am. While I cannot help you consciously, I will be able to render subconscious help. Fragments of my psyche will be in there. They will seem like real people to you, and they are. They're just all me. Aspects of me, at least. Or possibly aspects of other people I've unintentionally picked up. Telepathy is... more complex than people give it credit for."

There was no sarcastic comment from Adonis. There was nothing at all from Adonis. There was no Adonis at all. There was no Ms. Wagner either, or even the Professor. Just the study around them, same as it ever was.

Actually, different. It was hard to tell. Books weren't the same. The sleek flatscreen of the Professor's computer wasn't there, replaced by a clunky beige box instead. There was no bustle of the Institute, no sounds of distant chatter or running in the halls. A quieter study. An older study.

"I'm not sure where you should begin looking, but I've dropped you in the first place I could think of that might give you a clue... this is my memory from twenty years ago," said the Professor, his voice echoing and fading away. The team was left in the study that didn't look right... and none of them looked quite right either. At least, not how they did a moment ago, in the real world...

Describe yourself! Your dream-form, your psychic manifestation, your alter-id, whatever you want to call it. Be creative! You look how you feel!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee

Lee felt the tug of her old earrings before she noticed her familiar attire and the phantom seepage of dye through her bangs.

Oh, and the sign.

"Great," Lee sighs, trying as hard as she can to draw her ratty old trenchcoat closed over the shifting board, to only partial success. Glancing around, she tries to gauge how many people are paying enough attention for it to be a problem to her and her flashing billboard of baggage. At least no one is likely to recognize her just by the awful mistake of a hairstyle she'd had during those six months on the run and the trial that followed.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

For a terrible moment, Jane thinks she's lost an eye in the mental transition. As she feels around her new get-up, she finds a couple of very noticeable differences from her non-psychic projection self.

First and foremost, of course, she has an eyepatch. Why? Anyone's guess. As she fiddles with it, though, she quickly figures out that it seems to be suppressing her superhuman senses. The moment she flicks it up, a veritable storm of sensory information bombards her. She shivers, a little overwhelmed by the flood, and flips it back down over her eye.

The second difference is her left arm. It is wrapped up and down in thick metal — adamantium, she supposed — chains. The usual muscular push that sends her claws shooting out instead seems to transform her arm entirely, straining against the adamantium chains. She looks at it a moment, a little unsettled by the new look, but it moves about as well as she thinks it should and seems sharper than ever.

The final change was that she had a long, curved blade resting at her side. Allowing her arm to resume it's normal appearance, she draws it and marvels at the sharp, killing edge... and then blanches as the blade starts whispering sweet, seductive urges into her mind. Mind's mind? Psychic stuff is weird. In any case, she quickly sheathes it once more.

Looking at the rest of their motley band, she says, "Alright, everyone in and good to go?"

Not content to sit idle while people sort themselves out, she hops over the desk and starts tapping at the ancient computer. Maybe there'd be a hint or three?

Tricky fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 10, 2018

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink

"Oh...well, this is...disorienting." Blink muttered as she stared down at herself.

It was, too. For both Clarice and onlookers. The girl seemed - split in two. One half of her was far pinker-skinned than previously, her eye glowed green, and she wore what looked like an emerald green princess gown, complete with incredibly poofy skirt. Her hair - which was a good deal pinker, too, hung longer than normal, and not tied in her usual braid.

The left half, well, would likely be something you'd more expect Lee to wear, all straps and buckles and black. In fact, it looked like all the color had drained out of this half of Clarice, leaving her shades of gray, black, and white. Even her eye on the left side was nothing more than an inky black spot. Her hair was loose here, too, but it seemed obvious streaks of dye had been applied on each half - except it was all gray, black, and white, too.

What was most disturbing though, were two things. First, that there seemed to be a well, seam, glowing and oscillating, and somewhat dizzying, too, jaggedly dividing the two halves of Clarice in a roughly symmetrical line.

The other problem was that the sides kept switching. Maybe not all at once and occasionally she seemed either all pretty pink princess or all monochrome gothling, but only for a second or two. Where the two halves of her wouldn't make sense overlapping - say where the gothy half of her dress terminated and the princess half kept going - the seam somehow blurred any points that would be confusing.

She seemed to shake off her disorientation, after a second, and got to her feet. "Is it possible to be puking inside someone's mind? Would that be a bad move?" Now that she was addressing the rest of the team, even her voice seemed divided. She both seemed to vocalize in a somehow even more sugary squeaky smirk, and also a far, far more downbeat and depressed sigh. Simultaneously.

"A clue is what we're looking for, then? You know, Fourie seemed nervous when I confronted him earlier. Well, frustrated at least. Maybe a tuning fork is something we should look for. Or maybe some place distant enough to stick him where he can't affect anything? Just a thought, anyway."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marvel Girl

"Look, we just got back from saving New York -", Jean says to Lee with a slight eyeroll. "- and my friend is in serious danger, I have every right to my corniness.", is the last thing she says before folding into the dreamscape.

Jean's self-image is... Jean, at least, but that likely has to do with somewhat with her relative control. She has the mental training not to just bleed her self-image all over, at least at the moment. But there's definitely more of an obviousness to her power, a pink halo of light that occasionally flickers like a crown, almost like it's alive in its own sense. "There's probably some... clue, something off.", she says simply. "And I get the impression Fourie likes to sign his work, even if it's only a way he can normally see." She touches her chin, looking around. "He's probably anchored himself in the Professor's subconscious, something he doesn't remember..." She puts a finger to her forehead. "... but I don't think any of us even know where to start with that. We just need to look."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane opened her eyes, glancing around the office, things felt off. The smells, they were muted. grey. She looked down at her hands. Her faith had shaped her, her self view was clear. She was a merger of civilised and wild, human and Forrest.

A growl from her stomach. She looked further down. Her shape shifting into the civilised as a maw opened in her gut. It would make sense. The Wolf was driven by gut instincts. Tempted by her mind.

"This place is strange. Ugh, I hate it when a place smells of nothing, you know?" She glanced over at Wolverine, looking for agreement, but get's a full view of her abs. Holy earth Mother, she's shredded. The Wolf stretches out, sniffing at Wolverine. She smells of blood, of the hunt, of strength and violence. It clearly approves as it rubs it's head against the Canadian. Rene looks away, clearing her throat awkwardly.

"Uhh... just, just ignore that, thanks." She sighed. At least it wasn't trying to get too friendly. She really didn't want to see what a psychic manifestation of that would look like. She focused, trying to reign in the instinctive part of her.

"People's memories are weird, they don't recall much but the brightest thing. So perhaps if we looked for anything that seems... out of place? Something that the Professor wouldn't focus on, but someone else might?"

- - -

1 XP when you relate to other humans with instincts that you have taken from your wolf form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Storm

If Kiania has been quiet, it's because she suddenly finds herself having a hard time containing her weather controlling powers. Her body feels like it's about to burst at any minute, and it takes all the willpower she currently has to stop herself from losing control.

It isn't until she raises her hand to eye level that she understands why. Her body isn't made of flesh anymore. It's instead made of made of wild, roaring, electrical energy, with sparks flying out of her body, and in her mid-section is a small, swirling vortex, that almost looks like it would suck anybody in who got close to it. Her body had turned into a literal storm, and the sudden surge of power flowing is practically overwhelming her. It almost reminds her of when her mutant powers first manifested themselves, and how difficult it was for her to control it, but Kiania has come a long way since then. She's learned of ways to deal with her powers when they get too much for her to handle, thanks to a close friend of hers. She takes a deep breath in through her nose, and out. In. Out. In. Out. Calm your emotions. Keep yourself centered.

She could feel the energy coursing through her body calm down enough for her to be able to manage it, and she breathes a sigh of relief. Standing back up, she says, "I think we should-" She pauses for a second when she notices how much static is coming from her voice, but she quickly continues what she was saying, "I think Wolfsbane might have the right idea. Let's start looking and hope for the best."