Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«19 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Marvel Girl
PP: 2 | XP: 3

Marvel Girl rubs her temple, as it almost seems to bleed telepathic energy. "Ngh, splitting my attention three ways? You're gonna tear my head apart.", she says to Colossus before biting her lip for a moment. "You'll need to make some distance, we can't have him focusing here. But if you're willing. Keep in mind I don't know if I can help keep you safe. I'll try. But I'm going to be pushed to my limit here. Plan B, I engage him over there, too. If I have to-"

She looks to Lee, shaking her head. "-annyway. Sorry, no controls on this show. You get what you get. It might be down to you to keep the attention if we both end up keeping him busy. I hope you're cool with that, because it might not be a choice. We need to know as much as we can while we have this opportunity. Sorry, Lee."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Colossus
PP: 3 | XP: 10 Stress 1d8 Mental

Colossus nods his head. "Alright, you just- focus on this. I will drag him away from here." He looked over at Jean and nodded. "You can do this," he said, walking over to a window. "Brains beats brawn and I could do this, so it should be easy for you," he says with a wink before just- jumping out of the window.

There'd be no memory out here, probably. Odds are, Pete would fall out, back up a layer and into the waiting sight of Adonis. He wondered, though, if this was right. Where would he end out...

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


The chair struck Shadow-Stranger dead on and smashed him to pieces, like he was made of glass. The shards fell down and dug into the floor, burrowing away like weird seeds. Storm's own counterattack struck the rifle-wielding Shadow-Sniper, the long-barrelled gun acting like a lightning rod, and she simply melted, the tar-like shadowstuff dripping down the wall and flowing towards a drain grate. Adonis pitched the popcorn box over his shoulder with a sigh.

"That's it for entertainment value? Even your memories are pathetic," he sighed, stifling a yawn. He clenched his fist and Shadow-10 and Shadow-Scientist both dissolved on the spot, that same sickly shadowstuff sinking out of sight down the drain. The door to the Laundry Room suddenly slammed shut, and then fell off its hinges, revealing unbroken brick wall beneath. No way out. Just the tight, claustrophobic room and a single flickering light. "Maybe this should spice things up."

The light fizzled out in a flash, plunging the room into absolute darkness. Slowly the light returned, but it was no longer the Laundry Room. It was somewhere else, some sort of old warehouse perhaps. Run down and abandoned, but still with no visible exits.

"Maybe you should work out some of those unresolved issues, eh?" Adonis's voice whispered in Wolverine's ear, although he was nowhere to be seen. What she could see were three more copies of Weapon Ten, looking back at her with that insufferable smirk and death-hungry eyes. Two had their claws out, and one was holding one of those boxy taser-pistols in each hand, the kind the mystery soldiers had been using in the mall.

What Storm, Wolfsbane, and Blink could see was Wolverine looking back at them. Or maybe through them.

Buying two opportunities Wolfsbane.
Doom Pool: 3d10 1d12

Colossus hit the slightly dusty glass, and it shattered, each shard still showing the "outside world" as if it had just been painted on. There was nothing but darkness beyond, and he fell for what seemed like forever. There was no rush of wind, no noise except his own thoughts, and when he hit the ground it was as if he'd taken a single step downstairs. No thud, barely even the sensation of stopping.

It was still void, but there was something under his feet. A more solid piece of void, perhaps. But suddenly a bright light burst into existence overhead, like a supernova in space, or the sun reappearing after an eclipse. The void resolved from empty blackness into shadowed flesh, and fingers the size of skyscrapers curled up into view... along with the looming, gargantuan face of Adonis.

"There you are," he said, grinning that ugly grin of his, every word rumbling. "I thought I'd lost you for a moment there. But oh, where are your cute little friends, tinkertoy?"

"Or did you think you could match me all by yourself?" Adonis added from behind Colossus. This time the copy was life-size, at least in relation to Colossus. He was walking along the surface of his own palm, casual as a Sunday stroll, and though not visibly armed he didn't seem too worried at all. After all, didn't he have this whole situation in hand?

Maybe puns were just how the mental world worked.

"C'mon then, put up yer dukes," Adonis drawled in a bad cowboy impression, assuming a comically old-fashioned boxing stance with both arms raised in front of him. His jacket faded right off him, and his tie slithered off like a snake, while his sleeves rolled up all by themselves. "Try and land a punch, Rooskie, I dares ya."

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

He presumably spends
his time traveling the world, annihilating any rapper foolish enough to challenge him


Lee
PP: 0 | XP: 2

Lee glances furtively around as the memory stops again. If things were going to change again, at least she might be ready this time. Colossus's suggestion only mostly registers - what's the point in just trying to fight him again, anyway? - but she stops and snorts at Jean's apology. "Sorry for what? I haven't had a real choice for myself in years." Sticking her hands in her coat pockets, she glances over as Colossus says his bit but doesn't say anything against it, not for lack of negativity, but because he's out the window before she can bother.

Looking over the still-static room, a dumb thought suddenly takes hold in Lee's mind. Walking over to the table, she reaches out towards Xorn's mask. "There's no way this works," she says aloud, taking hold of Xorn's mask. "But hey, I'll probably be braindead soon anyway." Pulling, Lee braces herself for whatever might be under the mask, if anything at all.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


The mask came free with surprising ease, but what was underneath... was perhaps the weirdest sight yet. Blue flame, spilling out like an angry sun, a dying star, hate, rage, a flood of negative emotions. The blue fire spread over Xorn's form, and then Adonis's, spreading out and blossoming into a shape. Something like a triangle, or a nexus point, or an eye, or wings, or... something alive.

Brave little thing, came a voice, ten thousand voices, each of them dripping venom and wrath. So casually you look beneath the surface.

The memory burned, an inferno of blue that verged into white. The decaying of atoms, nuclear fire incarnate. You are but an infant in the eyes of the cosmos, Adonis Fourie. You wish to know secrets? You shall know death.

It wasn't talking to them. It was Adonis's own memory, of what he'd glimpsed beneath the mask. And it was terrifying.

The flames rushed back in, collapsing with a roar, and Xorn was wearing his mask again. Lee's hands were empty. Everything was back as it was... frozen in time once more.

Only the fire lingered on Jean, dancing over her gracefully like reflections on a pond. It did not hurt. There was no heat at all. It swam around her, forming a halo, a crown above her head... and then vanished. It was not a celebration. It was no magic moment, like something from a movie. The cold, dark reality of the universe, the insignificance of totality weighed down upon her. Like an ant who had somehow learned what a magnifying glass was... and seen the glare of the sun shine through it.

Whatever that voice had been, whatever that... thing that Fourie had glimpsed, it wasn't Xorn. It was like before when Jean had brushed against his mind, only now it was clearer. It was his own psychic parasite, another entity dwelling inside his head, something ancient and powerful beyond belief. Not a trick. Not a suggestion. Not a fragment. Something that lived without physical form, only existing as pure thought, a being of unimaginable potential and ability.

And Fourie had asked for that secret.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at Jun 20, 2018 around 00:28

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

He presumably spends
his time traveling the world, annihilating any rapper foolish enough to challenge him


Lee
PP: 0 | XP: 2

"What the gently caress was that?" is the only response Lee can muster beyond sweating and gesticulating in Xorn's general direction from a very safe distance.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Wolverine
PP: 0->1 | XP: 18->21 | Asset: d12 On The (Psychic) Scent

Wolverine growls, "gently caress off, Adonis. The moment I get through these stupid memories, you're next. You think I can't hurt you, just because you're some mind figment? Think again. I can be very inventive when it's time to do a little dirty work."

She cracks her neck back and forth, demonic arm seething with power, and charges towards the three copies of Ten. The three X-men can certainly see that she's really worked up, even for her usual rough-and-tumble fighting style, and whatever she thinks they are... they're not going to like what happens if she gets her hands on them. And staying out of reach? Easier said than done. Wolverine is on the lead Ten Rene as quick as lightning and drives her down to the floor with a quick flurry of strikes. Wolverine isn't going for killing blows, not after how ineffective they were on the previous iteration, but she figures that the mental logic of all this means these Tens still need to breathe.

Wolverine wraps her demon arm around Ten's throat, slowly starting to squeeze as she bangs her head into the floor a few times. She all but roars, "Who are you? Why do I know you, huh? And why-" A particularly hard slam. "-won't you stop?"

I figure this probably hits my other 3xp from "...And What I Do Isn't Very Nice."

Dice Pool: d10 Solo, d4 Mysterious Past, d8 Enhanced Strength, d10 Adamantium Claws, d10 Combat Master.

Complicate Rene's life!: 1#1d4 1 1#1d8 1 3#1d10 10 3 5

15 to inflict a d10 complication (will hash out exact nature with Arashi), two opportunities.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Marvel Girl
PP: 2 | XP: 3

"If Adonis wins, what you're saying's gonna be legit-", Jean says before Lee reaches for the helmet. There really isn't anything to add to that.

Well, except the colorful expletives that come out of her as a whisper once the light show is over. "What... was... loving... nnnngh...", she says, clutching her head. Her eyes focus on the ground, and she looks up. "Fine. Fast-forward. Not a bad idea." She then reaches out to grab ahold of the memory, to turn the page and force it onward. "Having Adonis trying to torture my friends made for a really lousy ad break anyway."

But was there really a point? In the face of all that? Might as well try and stop a bonfire by throwing herself on it.

Trying to delve deeper into the memory with Mutant Alpha, using Team d10 + Crushing Self-Doubt d4 + Telepathy d10 + Mutant Alpha d10 + Psych Mastery d8. Spending a point to keep an extra effect die, for a 15 with a d10 and no opportunities, gaining 1 pp, and...

No, no point focusing on that. Not while her friends were alive.

In the lab, Jean's astral form comes out of the shadows, flaring with pink light. Enough playing it safe. Safe was just getting them divided. She focuses on trying to reassert their reality - their reality. Xavier's reality. Give the rest a push to get past the Adonis' Horror House, tear away the shadows.

... and using that other die to try to create an d10 Mental Clarity asset for those in the Wolverine drama zone.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Blink
PP: 0|XP: 1| Stress: 1d10 mental

"Note to self." Blink intones after Adonis appears again and taunts and disappears. "If you ever become a really prominent thief, do not become a self-obsessed narcissistic arsehole. "

After the scenery went topsy-turvey again, Blink glanced around at the surroundings. Not that she hadn't been in abandoned warehouses before, but... "I still don't recognize this place either. Is this still your memory Jane?" She asked.

And then she freaked out, screamed at Rene, and dove on her. Clarice's eyes went wide. "That is uhm...that's no good."

Of course, Blink had to do something. So, reaching into the seam, she pulled out a smallish, glowing orb. With an admittedly pretty decent softball lob, it landed on the floor near Rene. "Quick, out from under her!" She imagined something weird was going on, probably. Not sure what, it probably wasn't wise to immediately start fighting Jane until they figured it out. So, Evac might be the right call?

Ok, making a Rift asset.

1d6 Team, 1d8 Consummate Wanderer, 2d8 Teleport (thanks to Versatile), 1d8 Athletics Expert.

It's bad. an 11 with a d4 and 3 opportunities. All dice rollers despise me.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006



Storm
PP: 0 | XP: 1 | Stress 1d8 Mental, 1d10 physical

"Wolverine, no!" Cries out Storm, "Stop! You're hurting Rene! Can't you see this is a trick from Adonis!?" Storm desperately tries to reach out to her teammate... and fails, anger and frustration building up inside of her as she watches one of her own teammates brutally beat up another. "I said..." She thrusts both her arms forward, "STOP!" And sends an intense gust of wind in Wolverine's direction, one that is strong enough to knock even the toughest mutants of their feet!

Dice Pool: d10 Team, d8 Mercurial, d12 Weather Control, d8 Combat Expert.

Inflict Complication on Wolverine!: 1d10 8 1d12 4 3#1d8 3 8 1

Accidentally rolled an extra d8, so the 1 shouldn't count, I think. Either way, that's a 16 with a d12 Complication like Blown Away on Wolverine.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Colossus
PP: 3 | XP: 10 Stress 1d8 Mental

Puns weren't really Pyotr's strong suit. They worked in Russian along with weird, shoe-leather based proverbs but didn't really translate too great. He rolled his eyes at Adonis and shook his head.

"Nah," he said with a shrug of his huge, metallic shoulders. "Andrew? Algernon? Alex?" he said, starting to list names off. "There is no way that a balding, fat, friendless piece of poo poo like you is actually called Adonis," he said. He was projecting a mental image. The little, tubby, balding man he'd seen earlier. "I bet you needed to use your powers to get laid for the first time," he teased. "My first time was at one of the training camps. She was on the Russian Olympic gymnast team-"

He took a step towards Adonis.

"I wonder what that must have been like for you. Knowing that there was literally no one that would ever care about you unless you forced them to. You got your powers late and you used them to make up for your own pitiful shortcomings as a man."

He took another step forwards.

"You know, the real you? The you outside here? They died. I saw the death certificate. I checked to see if anyone went to your funeral and I do not think they even marked the grave. And now that's all you are," he continued. "An unmarked echo of a failure of a man, rattling around in the rafters of a visionary mind who did not even notice you were there. I am not going to fight you, because you are not worthy of my sweat."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.


Rene - Wolfsbane
PP: 3 | XP: 6

"Now what's he doing?" Rene pouted, she was getting excited by the fight. The wolf in her filling her with animistic energy. She paced back and forth in the darkness. Hoping for more targets to smash! Nose sniffing constantly. But by the time the lights came back, it was just them. The four of them, standing there.

"Huh...?" She looked over at Wolverine. She yelled... something. The blood was pumping in her ears too loud to hear. Then she charged. She barely even reacted as Wolverine clocked her. She tumbled to the floor. Higher brain too shocked to defend herself, animal brain too rattled by the blow. Then Wolverine was on top of her. Hand around her throat. Her head slammed into the ground. She had to- she had to-

- - - -

Ahhh getting choked! Team D10 + Wild side D4 (+1PP) + Growth D6 + Psych Expert D8: 1d10 7 1d8 1 1d6 2 1d4 1

......Uhhh, okay, that's not great.

Roll result 8
Effect dice D4
Opportunities 2

- - - -

Her mind spun. The strength of the beast on top of her. The roughness. The savagery. The wolf reacted. It was totally the wolf, totally the wolf! It was an animal dominance thing. At least, that was how she'd later rationalise what happened next.

Rene bucked against her aggressor in a futile attempt to get free. Eyes rolling back, her face increasingly red as her air supply started to run out. She needed to say something, something that would startle her aggressor. In her panic she reached for one word.

"H-Harder...!" She croaked.

She would come to regret that discussion.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at Jun 20, 2018 around 21:48

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Wolverine
PP: 1->2 | XP: 21 | Asset: d12 On The (Psychic) Scent

Rene takes d12 Cowed as her complication.

Wolverine easily manages to keep her grip on Ten, despite the attempts to buck her off. The catlike mutant beneath her is simultaneously completely mysterious and aggravatingly familiar. The feeble attempts to escape just raise her ire. She squeezes the mutant's neck harder, saying, "Is that all you've got, Ten?"

Then, of course, Ten speaks... and for a moment, Wolverine hears Rene's voice come out. The words don't make much sense to her, of course, because why would Rene want her to squeeze harder? She shakes her head, figuring it for another of Adonis's cheap tricks, but that moment of hesitation gives one of the other Tens the opportunity to hit her with... some sort of electric wave from her tasers? The hell? Wolverine slams the katana into the warehouse's floor, struggling to maintain her position, but the assault is too much. The wave sends her flying into and through! the wall of the warehouse.

Wolverine lets out a yell of pure, unadulterated frustration as she flies off into the black.

Dice Pool: d10 Solo, d4 A Chip On Her Shoulder, d8 Enhanced Strength, d10 Adamantium Claws, d10 Combat Master.

Resist getting blown away!: 1#1d4 1 1#1d8 7 3#1d10 1 2 3

10 with a d10 effect isn't near enough, so that steps up past a d12 and Wolverine is temporarily out of action. Two more opportunities.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


The boxing Adonis slowed down and stopped his hopping from one foot to the other, and then playfully brushed his knuckles across his own chin. "Oh, ouch. Going for the emotional blows? Tsk, tsk. Not very sportsmanlike."

He shrugged and turned his back on Colossus, taking a few paces away, his arms behind his back. Still casual as can be, not a care in the world. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised you looked me up. Although even a dim bulb like yourself ought to have noticed that Adonis is my given name. My parents had aspirations, and... faith in the superiority of my genes, shall we say. They never knew how right they were, aheh..."

In the memory of Marrakesh, Jean gave things a push, and it started moving again. Unsteadily, skipping like a record for a moment. But eventually back on track, the conversation resuming. The night had drawn on a little more, maybe a half hour or so.

"I could just keep him here, to run my errands like all my other puppets," Adonis was saying. "That ought to keep him out of your hair, right?"

Xorn had reclined back, his finger steepled in front of him, so oddly like the same pose the Professor took. He shook his head. "No. For a start, Charles Xavier is at least your equal. Even with the gift you'll be getting, he'll break your mind in two. This calls for a subtle approach. Let him think he has earned a hard-won victory, while you infiltrate him. Sit inside his head, somewhere he won't find you, and nudge him away from this foolish revolution he has planned."

Adonis did not seem pleased, wrinkling his nose. "Sounds more like a punishment for me than for him. Leave my body behind for who knows how long?"

Xorn tapped the side of his head, or at least his mask. "Eternal and immortal,
remember? Even years will mean nothing to you. Besides..."

With no other words, Xorn held up his hand. Adonis regarded it with a skeptical eye, and then jumped back, startled, as it ignited into blue flame. It burned away, all the way to the elbow. Then the flame turned red and reversed direction, Xorn's arm returning as it went.

"My God," said Adonis in a quiet voice, his eyes gleaming.

"Taking things apart, putting them back together... nothing is beyond our combined power," said Xorn, flexing his fingers before lowering his hand again. "You can have a new body when your task is done. Taller, stronger, younger... whatever you desire. As well as a place in the new world order, of course. Just as long as you stick to the plan."

Adonis leaned back in his chair and cast a glance over his gut, a wry smile on his face. "Quite the deal I'm getting, a new life and unlimited power. A stint in psychic solitary seems like it would be well worth it."

Back atop the gigantic hand, Adonis was humming to himself, an annoyingly catchy tune that sounded kind of familiar to Colossus but not anything he could place.

"You ever get a tune stuck in your head, tinkertoy? I suppose Charles has it worse, though. He's got a me stuck in his head." Adonis wasn't even looking at Colossus while he spoke. "But a tune is so annoying, especially when you can't remember the words. It took me some time to recall why it felt so familiar to me."

He snapped his fingers and a forest of doors sprung up from the landscape, or palmscape, in front of him. He held his hand out and they rearranged themselves in a whirl of movement.

"I suppose you got in my head a little, too, didn't you? You kids are a lot more resourceful than I gave you credit for. Not the insults stuff, though," he added. The multitude of doors slowed to a stop, and the one in front of him opened up. He reached through one to grab at something.

Lee felt herself tumble backwards, out of the Marrakesh memory and onto soft ground. No, not ground... skin, in shadow. The looming face of Adonis occupying the sky, with only a distant sun for illumination, soon explained that. Adonis reached through again, not even paying attention to Lee.

"Now, where's the other one..."

Buying 4 opportunities from Wolverine, buying 3 opportunities from Blink, buying 2 opportunities from Wolfsbane. Thanks for the dice, they shall be put to good use.
Doom Pool: 4d12

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.


Rene - Wolfsbane
PP: 3 | XP: 6 | Complications: d12 Cowed

Air fills her lungs, and Rene splutters. Her mutant born resilience sparing her from harm. But god she was- why did she say that? Why did she feel like that? And why was she now feeling like this?! She tried a few deep calming breaths, and thanked her mental projection that she was covered in a mixture of fur and branches. Otherwise that would have been incredibly awkward, thank god no one saw tha.....

Rene looks at her companions. And attempts the first turtle impression ever done by a werewolf while blushing furiously.

"U-Uhh... I-I was t-trying to use r-reverse psychology to m-make her let go...!" she offered lamely. An awkward pause. "B-But then the wolf! I-It was really into it- I mean, the dominance thing- Ah no, I um, m-mean it r-recognised her as being i-in charge!" Another awkward pause. "S-Shut up!" She said before any remarks had been made. "We need to go after her." She said, standing up briskly. Trying for all the world to not look like a teenager who'd suddenly discovered the effects of hormones for the first time. Her voice a couple octaves too high for someone really in control of her emotions right now.

"I really don't want to know what Adonis could do to her on her own and unconscious." She said, following the path of destruction Jane's flight had taken.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Blink
PP: 0|XP: 1| Stress: 1d10 mental

Clarice hadn't really noticed Rene's verbal gaffe, what with concentrating on preventing Jane from killing her and everything. She was pretty sure Storm hadn't noticed, either.

That is until Rene brought it up. Still, she had offered wolf cuddles earlier, so all Blink gave away was something of a bemused smile that brought some pink back into her lips. She allowed Wolfsbane to lead the chance after Wolverine.

"Okay, right. Did she call you Ten?" She asks, following after her. "What's all that supposed to be about?" Adonis hadn't popped back up, which was disconcerting, but it was pretty clear he was doing something to Jane. "Boy, The Professor sure should've gone with some more psychics, huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Colossus
PP: 3 | XP: 10 Stress 1d8 Mental

"It is interesting how interested in hands you are considering everything about you is second hand," said Colossus. "Your aspirations, your styling, your powers-" he waited to see if there was a bite there. "I saw metal-head give you your juice."

He tilted his helmeted head.

"My guess is you are afraid of the Professor. That is why you have been hiding in here. You two met in Marakesh, he made you his bitch and now you're hiding. How close am I?"

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«19 »