Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane
PP: 2 | XP: 11 | Complications: d12 Cowed

Rene's stomach growled louder then the Wolf. Food. God she loved food. It was said that man domesticated the wolves by feeding them. If Jane didn't know she'd become Rene's pack leader, then she was coincidentally doing all the right things to cement that position.

Rene had started to nod, and voice her agreement of that plan, when Kia slid in and squished them all close together. The suddenness of it making Rene increasingly aware of how close they were. Somewhere in the back of her head. The wolf laughed at her. I knew what it should do. Why was it so difficult for the human to understand? Said human could do little but meekly nod her head.

Maybe getting some meat in front of her would be enough to distract her. Otherwise, this talk was going to be... interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee
PP: 5 | XP: 2 | d8 Physical Stress

"Uhh," Lee hesitates as Clarice hops through the portal, and Pyotr follows after. "I- ah-" Glancing furtively around and confirming no one else is looking, Lee slips after the other two.

---

"Woah," is Lee's main response to the beach. "I don't know how allowed I am much of anywhere," she replies to Pyotr's concerns. "So, uh, no NARCing, alright?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Blink
PP: 1|XP: 2| Stress: 1d10 mental

"Not all of us are giant metal monoliths, my friend." Blink grins at the other two's reactions. "This is the Bahamas - Cartusia, technically, which uh...I'm only kind of allowed to." She giggles. "But, best place to hide is in plain sight, yeah?" She asks rhetorically as she unzips her coat and tosses it aside, letting her arms take in the daylight with a happy sigh. "It is...good to visit now and again, though."

Giving the other two a moment to soak in the atmosphere (and removing her shoes and socks at the same time so she can feel her native sand, as well), she then turns back to Colossus with a slightly more serious expression. "So then, honest and open conversation? Should be a welcome change - since you made the offer I suggest you start."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Wolverine
PP: 4 | XP: 21

Jane all but pulls the two after her out of the Danger Room. Judging by Rene's stomach, she wasn't the only one who was ready for a hearty meal or three. Moments later, they're sitting down at a table in the cafeteria with a hearty spread of leftovers from earlier. Jane is doing her level best to put some of everything — and, man, there were clearly no rules — into a truly immense sandwich. After a generous dollop of some mustard to top things off, she cuts the sandwich and then leans back in the chair while the other two arrange their own meals.

She stretches out, the X-uniform looking quite flattering, then asks, "Alright, you two, what do you think?" A pause. "First day on the job and you've gone on a mental adventure, y'know? That's gotta be a bit of a shock."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane

Rene had located meat. Specifically a stake and what looked to once be half a lamb shank. She was attempting to consume it in a most unladylike manner. But there were some things she wholeheartedly agreed with the wolf on. And gnawing on meat was absolutely one of them. Plus, when you've got a big bit of bone in your face you can't see how hot your teammates skintight costume looks on her. Especially when you were (naturally) walking behind her, and could see the self control eroding things it did to her-

Rene pulled the emergency break on her train of thoughts. It was going to be bad enough being in a room alone with Jane. In a place suffused with her scent. Talking about the feelings she had from having Jane on top of her. Did Jane have super senses? The thought suddenly occurred to her. One of the students had mentioned it in passing. What was it? Was it hearing? Oh please god don't let it be smell. Rene knew that she -uhh, The Wolf would be be giving off some very telling signals. She was pretty sure it was hearing though. Pretty sure....

She furtively glanced up from attempting to get at a particularly juicy bit of lamb hidden in a nook. "Yeah, "mental" is the right word for it." Don't think about it. "Thank the Goddess we got out of there without any- w-well we got out. And saved the Professor." Don't think about it. "And now I guess he's more outgoing? In control?" Definitely don't think about being under someone else's control.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Pyotr
PP: 2| XP: 10 Stress 1d8 Mental

Pete takes a few steps towards the sea, reaching down to roll up the ankles of his sweatpants before stepping out into the Atlantic up to his shins.He just stands there, listening to Clarice talk about where they are. Not that long ago, he'd never been outside of Russia. He was probably gonna travel for the Olympics if he made the team, and there would be championships around the world but all that kind of got diverted. Two countries, down, about a hundred and fifty to go.

He stood there for a few moments, breathing in the sea air and then letting it go, turning on the spot and keeping his hands in his pants pockets. "This only works if everyone gives a poo poo," he said, looking at Lee. "This whole thing only functions as a movement if everyone at the core of it cares about it and, like it or not, you're at the core of it. I am not expecting you to suddenly turn on the spot and tomorrow show up in bright shirt and shooting finger-guns at everyone but-" he glanced to the side.

"The people in charge of this are damaged and broken. You think that Ms. Wagner lost her eye in an accident? You think that Mister Valentine became the living ghost he is today because things were just great for him? All it takes is one or two toxic people for this whole thing to unravel. So if you have problem, you come and talk to me. If it is real problem, we will work through it. If you need support to do a thing, then I will carry you from one end of the world to the other to get you what you need. If it is attitude then-"

How to put it...

"Cheer the gently caress up, or gently caress the gently caress off."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink

"Yes, because that is a beacon of good cheer, for sure." Clarice kicks some sand up, in Pyotr's direction. He might've been looking at Lee, and she might've been as sunshine and rainbows as she could've been earlier today (it was a defense mechanism, okay?), but she sure felt like he was lecturing her.

"Do you think it a particularly valid point to argue to us that the people in charge are broken, and so we must...what...oblige them? We're all pretty mixed up ourselves, and we didn't volunteer to be put in charge of...anybody! Earlier today you didn't seem to be doing much of the obliging them anyway - so what changed?" She hadn't seen much of Pyotr, but the little bit in the classroom before the whole Inner Space thing had given Blink the impression he was almost as moody as Lee was. She was likely going to make him project #2, after Lee (and uh, she might've maybe found him a little cute, but anyway...), but this wasn't really how she wanted to start that off.

"Maybe...we all have our own reasons for being involved in all this." She gestures around her, though clearly 'island paradise' wasn't the This she was referring to. "And maybe toxic people come in a lot of different forms." She shoots him a pointed glance. "And, while I can't speak for Lee, I can sure say that today has been a lot of mood whiplash out of nowhere, for me. So how about just enjoy the tropical paradise for like ten minutes before another lecture on why we're doing it wrong?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 4 | XP: 22

Jane nods, "Yeah... I think we did good in there." She contemplates her sandwich monstrosity, also trying to politely ignore the very distinctive scents that Rene is emitting for some reason, then says. "I'm not really an expert at this whole... y'know. Saving people thing. Before this? Before the mansion?" A pause. "Let's just say I didn't wake up with metal bones by accident." The claws flick out, gleaming in the light as she holds them up. She continues, "Someone did this to me. Some people called the Weapons, or something like that. You met them, or at least my weirdo memories of them, in the Professor's mind."

She's silent for a time, the claws slipping back in. Eventually, she says, "It's hard to think of myself as a rescue worker, or whatever the X-men are supposed to be. All I'm really good at — drat good at — is fighting... and not the sort that people get up after."

1xp for talkin' bout that mysterious past.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Storm
PP: 2 | XP: 1 | Stress 1d8 Mental, 1d10 physical

Kia, who's currently still slightly glistening from sweat, grabs some water, and a leftover hamburger for herself. She hands the water bottles over to Jane and Rene, and gives Rene a sly look while she passes her by. While Jane might be oblivious to how the wolf-girl is feeling right now, Kia sure isn't. She 'accidentally' brushes her hand on her shoulder as she walks over to her seat.

"Oh come on, Rene," she says, as she takes her seat, "You shouldn't be thanking me just yet," she gives her a teasing wink, "I know they call me the Goddess of the Storms, but I'm still human." Her smile leaves though as soon as Jane shares some aspects of her pasts with them. "...Yeah, I remember. I can't even begin to imagine what you've gone through, Jane, but there is one thing I do know," her smile returns as quickly as it went, "You're good people. I've met plenty of scumbags in my life, and you? You aren't one of them. Whatever your past is, it doesn't matter now. You're here now, and you're doing good, and that's all that matters in the end, yea?"

If that counts as aiding a teammate (with emotional support), that means I gain 1 xp!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 22, 2018

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee

"A reason would mean I had a choice," Lee grumbles, staring at the sand between her still bare feet. How long has it been since the last time she was even on a beach? "Not quite like what I'm used to," she mumbles, tracing a toe through the sand.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pyotr

He winced.

"It is not about- what you are doing wrong. It is about the team and how everything impacts it. I think it is valid to accept people's damage," said Pyotr. "Especially if the physical is the least painful, like in the case of Wagner and Valentine. As you say, we can not all be giant metal monoliths. If you need to take time, if you need to take space, then fine. If you bring it when we work, or when we are X-Men, or when we are training? Then that is when we will have problem-" he says, before realising that he's doing it again.

"What changed is the Professor woke up. I did not come here to play, or to be reactive. I came here to move forwards, and say why we deserve to be stay alive as a people. Not to beg for forgiveness..." he said, voice lowering at the end. "I know we all came here from different points. I know we all- move to different beats but when we are together as a team? We can not be about the past, or about ourselves as individuals. We have to be about the team, and our future..."

He listened to Lee and nodded his head. "I came to the Professor by order of government. Do you need a reason to be here? Do you want me to help you find one?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 4 | XP: 22

Jane smiles, more wistfully than anything, but seems to appreciate Kia's words... even if she's not quite sure she deserves them. She says, "Thanks, Kia."

Finally mentally prepared for what may be the best sandwich to exist in this or any other alternate dimension, she begins to chow down. She looks at Rene contemplatively as she eats, trying to figure out the whats and whys of the wolf-girls odd behavior. It had all started after that mess in the Professor's mind... and there were definitely signals happening. If it wasn't for the thought that someone being interested in a living weapon, like herself, being unthinkable... well, suffice to say that Kia wouldn't be the only one teasing Rene.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink

She exhales a bit as Pyotr tries to explain himself. He was...partially...successful.

"You...did a lot of sports, didn't you?" She queries him as he does another team building speech. She had heard a fair bit of that during gymnastics practice. Probably why it wasn't for her in the long run. She smirks lopsidedly. Fairly obvious given his...ahem...physique, anyway. "Not everyone goes from 0 straight to 100 - but I guess I see your point. I am trying to...figure this out. I've never really been a team player - too easy to run away from too many commitments, and all that. I can't say I'm really sure where I'm supposed to fit in all this. I'm hardly a poster child for mutant-human relations."

She shrugs and glances at Lee, too. "And I think Lee's sort of the same, aren't you?" She got that sense, anyway. "But since you're so big on the team thing, Pyotr, maybe you can tell me what I'm supposed to be doing?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pyotr

Pyotr grinned and nodded. "Weightlifting," he said, pointing a thumb to himself. Perhaps not that surprising given the sheer fuckin' size of him. Even when he's not covered from head to toe in metal, dude's huge as hell. "I was going to win gold for Russia in Tokyo but- Well."

He waited for Lee.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane
PP: 2 | XP: 12 | Complications: d12 Cowed

Rene, who was attempting to rarely tested human feat of inhaling a stake, almost choked as Kia ran a hand across her shoulders. Momentarily shivering at the ticklish sensation, the noise she would have made beautifully muffled by her improvised and highly delicious gag. Said sensation became instantly harder to ignore when Rene realised that Kia's 'look' and flirtatious- wait, Kia flirting with her?! The realisation sent a rush of crimson to her face. Well... more crimson. She was already very crimson. But now there was more. Like Crimson squared. If she'd been better able to focus, maybe there might have been things she could have done about her face's attempt at inventing a new colour.

But now, she was trapped. Squirming over things that at one time would have been playful and ignorable. But now had the metaphorical impact of Colossus's fist. On one hand between her Alpha's turmoil inducing presence. And now between a girl who was pushing all the buttons that Rene wanted pushing. But was too embarrassed to admit she had them. They were missing the big red button so far. But Jane had hit it already, and now it had all lead to this and she didn't-

Were it not for her conservative religious upbringing, perhaps this would have been less of a challenge. Despite her attempts at distancing herself from them, they still plagued her. The Goddess taught her that free open love was wonderful, and to be celebrated. That there was no shame in it. But her father had installed that shame from an early age. Not that the Wolf cared. It was revelling in the attention. As long as she kept herself distracted she-

Her teeth met nothing. Plate empty before her. Her eyes slowly widened as her brain, now no longer distracted by delicious food, turned it's full attention to the two lovely ladies in front of her. She whimpered. By sheer coincidence timing it to coincide with Jane's admission of her past. But coincidence couldn't save her for long. Not from the Freudian aspects of her mind. Wolves tended to be honest in their wants and needs. And this was all CLEARLY the Wolf's fault, and nothing to do with her what so ever.

"Jane, I think... these aren't things you can let yourself get choked up on. I know it's hard not to Wrestle with your past, but if your past is really so terrible, why let it pin you down?" Rene's cheeks started to burn as she listened back to her own words. Voice becoming faster as her heartbeat raced. Change the subject. "I-I mean, you- uh- um, you're pretty. -pretty tough. I. Mean! A-And umm, I-" Oh god, she could feel Kia prowling around the edges, looking for an angle of attack, and she was giving nothing but openings. But she was tripping over her own tongue. Too hyper conscious and stumbling to attempt anything more then to dig her hole deeper.

After all, dogs did love digging!

- - - -

+1XP for relating to others with wolf instincts

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 22, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Storm
PP: 2 | XP: 2 | Stress 1d8 Mental, 1d10 physical

Kia should feel bad about teasing Rene so much, but she's enjoying watching her squirm way too much, like an adorable little puppy. Deciding to press on with her attack, she says, "Wow, Rene, you look so tense right now. I know Jane's supposed to be the big, bad, wolf around here, but you don't need to be so nervous around her. It's not like she's going to bite you... unless that's what you want." A beat, then Kia leans in closer, and lowers her voice to a conspirtorial whisper, "I think I might know what'll help you relax. Don't tell anyone, but I've got some drinks hidden in my room," although the professor probably knows about that already, "What do you say? You girls up for having a good time?"

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 22, 2018

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane

Rene's face was a picture. "-Kia!" She gasped, flustered, somewhere between a whimper and a cry. To have it laid out so easily and openly in front of Jane! She looked at her Alpha. Trying to work out if she'd picked up on Kia's blatant admission. In doing so, making it entirely too obvious how right she was. She tried not to make a face as the storm goddess whispered into her now permanently pink ear. The fleeting tickle of her hot breath, as terrible in it's effect as any hurricane she could summon.

She wasn't a goddess, she was a demon! An evil demon who was being... really intensely tempting right now!

"I-I..." Rene stammered. Rapidly aware of how little control she had. Dimly aware of the irony of a supposed predator being made such easy prey. The only way this could be any worse was Jane joining in the game. 'Even though that's exactly what I want'. Thought Rene, thought the wolf Thought Rene.

"I-I have no idea w-what you're talking about, I-I'm not- W-Why would you e-even think t-that??! I-I'm not thinking a-about that!!" She lied terribly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Jean Grey
PP: 0 | XP: 3

Meanwhile, Jean crashes back on her bed. No roommate. Probably chatting with the others about everything going down. Well, no questions to worry about answering, at least.

She had just spent time in a bunch of people's heads. Twice. And for all their fears, to her it didn't particularly matter to her. Most secrets are mostly important to the bearer. But for all her talk of exhaustion, it wasn't so much just being tired. She had the strength to go on. But her control was slipping as thoughts slipped in and out of her consciousness around her. The room wasn't isolated enough to stop that through just its walls. But it let her focus somewhat.

Knowing others deeply without being connected is a tricky thing. The others seemed to pair off pretty instantly. Pyotr was busy playing the caretaker. She didn't need to be a telepath to see the strings being tied up, but it made it glaringly obvious. And yet she made an effort to remain untied. Why? Was the fear still there? The fear of them dying? Of getting stuck in their head as they faded out? She wanted to pretend that wasn't a possibility, but the fact was that it was more likely than ever.

Closing her eyes, she just tried to focus. Maybe the walls were more than telepathic.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 4 | XP: 23

It does, even despite Rene's motives being clear to everyone on the planet, take a second to really percolate through Jane's skull. She stops mid-bite, looking at Rene curiously, then at Kia. Was this a prank? Was someone about to jump out with a camera and go, "Gotcha!"? Working down the delicious, blasphemous bite of sandwich, she takes a moment to rally her thoughts. She says, "...Wait. Wait wait wait." A beat, then she sticks an accusing figure at Rene. "You." She then points to herself, rather commandingly, and says. "Me." A little more subdued, confusion beginning to work its way into her rapidly derailing train of thought, as the finger swings to Kia. "Her room?"

This was starting to smack, dare she think it, of one of her Japanese shows. And... oh, oh. The thoughts connect. Suddenly there is far more context for all those puzzling little pieces. Rene's reaction ever since that illusion mess... the way Kia keeps egging her on... and, really, a lot of the signals that she's been baffled by. It all seems to fit, but... well, why her? She was probably the least likely person! Even putting aside the whole adamantium bones thing, there were claws! Sharp, pointy, devastating claws!

After a moment of inner turmoil, she just says, "Um." There's a bit of a blush beginning to work its way across her face, then she finally ventures, "I'm, um, not really good at this sort of thing? It's just... y'know. People generally just want me to kill things. They don't-" She makes a pretty risque hand gesture that probably doesn't mean anything particularly, though it does almost certainly get the message across. "-they didn't exactly want to hang out with their on-call murder elemental."

1xp for more mysterious past talk!

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Storm
PP: 2 | XP: 2 | Stress 1d8 Mental, 1d10 physical

"Oh, please," Kia waves a dismissive hand at Jane's comment, "You're not the only one who did bad things in their past, you know?" Kia goes quiet for a moment, her usual cheery attitude melting away into something a little more somber, "...I lived as an orphan for most of my life, and everyday... it was like a struggle, just to survive. I had to do things that I wasn't proud of, just to see the next day. You would think the town I grew up in would be merciful to children with no homes," she chuckles, but it's more of an empty chuckle, "...But you would be wrong, and it only became worse for me when my powers manifested themselves." It was a miracle that she managed to survive for as long as she did, "...But then I met others. People who were just like me. They didn't care about my past, or what I did. They accepted me for who I was, and took me in, like I was family. I guess you could say they saved me."

The weather-controlling girl goes quiet again, before she looks at Jane in her eyes, and says, "...I don't care what your past is. What you did- who you used to be- none of that matters to me. What matters is that you, and me, fighting side-by-side, for a cause greater than our own, and... while I know I've only known you both for one day, I..." The confident shell she's had around her starts to break, as she, too, starts to blush a little, "...I guess I feel a connection with you both, and I would like to know a little more about you two," the red begins to rise on her face, "...Was that a little too forward?"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane

A long shaky breath. Rene's will finally slipped. Okay, fine, it had slipped about half an hour ago, it had just stubbornly refused to admit to it. But with the room as charged as it was, the Scottish beauty finally surrendered to her own wants, religious convictions be dammed. She looked at Jane with a shy plaintive expression. She'd never kissed anyone before. She expected that was going to change rapidly. But maybe this was all a gift from her Goddess. To try and make her accept that she was her own person, and that she didn't need to hold herself accountable to a man who clearly thought she was a monster.

"...yes... yes you.... you- you got on top of me, thought I was a bad guy. It was the hottest thing that's ever happened in my entire life and I've been trying so hard not to think about you doing it again and I've basically accepted you as my dominant pack Alpha because apparently I'm into that and Kia saw it all and now she clearly wants in because she's been teasing me endlessly and oh god if one or both of you don't start kissing me I am going to explode please dear goddess!" the words came in a breathless rush. Rene panted, like she'd been holding her breath. Glancing between ether of them. Anything was better then this state of limbo.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Get a room!" One of the other students yelled from across the cafeteria, prompting a few laughs and murmurs of agreement. The student who originally called out folded his arms and looked annoyed. "What? I'm empathic, this is super awkward for me."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 4 | XP: 23

The moment delayed, at least for the time being, Jane reclaims a bit of poise as she shoots back to their erstwhile heckler, "Take a shower! I can smell you from all the way over here and, trust me, that Axe isn't doing you any favors." Looking back to her friends, she adds in a much quieter voice, "He's not wrong, though. Let's roll."

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee

It takes a moment of silence before Lee realizes both that anyone is waiting for her to speak, and that she's just been staring out at the horizon. "poo poo," she mutters, looking to Clarice and then Pyotr before returning to the horizon. "Okay," she says as she sits, resting arms and head on her steepled knees. "Guess it's my turn for sharing time." Leaning back, she looks up at the few clouds in the sky. When was the last time she'd even looked at the sky? "Just..." She exhales sharply and leans forward, fixing Clarice and Pyotr with a serious look. "This doesn't leave this beach. Please. The world knows enough of my business anyway." Pausing for a moment, she adjusts into a cross-legged seat on the sand. "And I'm more used to doing this with a few beers," she mumbles as she moves.

Seated comfortably, Lee takes a deep breath. "The first time I hurt anyone with my powers, I blew off three of a kids' fingers." Lee scoffs a laugh, then continues. "She got her shiv confiscated, a reprimand, and two of her fingers back. I got two weeks in solitary." Closing her eyes, she rubs her temple with one hand. "Didn't matter that I was defending myself from someone trying to shank me. Didn't matter that she kept calling me a mutie bitch even after she lost the ability to count over seven. Didn't matt-" She stops, exhales, then continues. "After the first, every night in there, I cried myself to sleep. The first night, I learned my powers can't hurt me. Which really only makes sense for a curse." Uncrossing her legs, she draws her knees close to her again. "But being a mutant? Even if it didn't let me do this?" She chucks a plasmoid at the waves, watching it explode in a shower of light, surf, and sand before continuing. "Normal people will make your life awful enough just for being one. And publicity?" She scoffs. "That just makes it worse."

Lee pauses for a moment, watching the waves on the shore. She used to love going to the beach with her parents, when she was little; she'd try to dodge the waves, until her dad would-

"I don't care about the cause, or whatever," she continues, after a further moment. "My parents were murdered. I want to find out who did it, and find them."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pyotr

Pyotr nodded at Lee. "Of course," he said, when told that this didn't go any further than the group at the beach.

He listened about her time in juvenile detention and stayed quiet until she was good and done.

"If you could make it so even one person less has to go through what you went through, would it be worth it?" he asked. "The person you are looking for. When you do find them, what happens? What do you do once you find them?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink

Clarice was pensive - both about Lee's story and about Pyotr's response to it. She knew what she wanted to say but part of her was worried it'd make her seem like...well like the devil on Lee's other shoulder.

So instead her response was quieter. "Lee...if...whatever you decide to do, not that it counts for a lot but I'll support you. Ok?" She digs a toe into the sand, a bit of nervousness, and a bit like resisting the urge to teleport away and hide from the serious turn this conversation had taken.

This wasn't...exactly...what Blink had intended when she wanted to go visit the beach. She exhaled loudly and dropped to a sitting position. Just...waiting. Waiting to hear what the others were intending to do with this information. With the conversation.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The last few hours of light slipped into night, and the day came to an end. Better for some than for others. The Professor's appearance on television had gone viral nearly immediately, although Pyotr had his suspicions that a certain cerulean-haired someone might have lent a helping hand with how fast it spread. Hashtags like #mutantpeace and #mutantslikeme had gained a lot of ground, and although there was still a lot of blind anger and bigotry going on, there was more than a glimmer of something better. Not a revolution, but a promising start.

Pyotr was back in NYC the next day, as promised. So were many of the other students and staff. Even the Professor, who spent as much time as he could helping while being hounded by the press for more soundbites. However, the Professor seemed to be fine with diverting attention away from some of the more camera-shy students, and it was odd how nobody ever asked any questions about the school or where all these mutants had come from.

"We're just here to lend a helping hand," said the Professor to a reporter who had probably never gone this long without talking over someone before. "Now, I do understand that the government has some qualms about the presence of mutants, but until being born a certain way becomes an actual crime, I'm sure the good people of New York will be glad to have us pitch in."

It was tense at times. People didn't quite know how to react. But amid all the sights of levitating rubble and teenagers helping to lift cars, there was the Professor. Without his shadow, he was different. He'd always been kind and considerate, but he was practically charming now. None of that moodiness or quiet contemplation, he was smiling for the cameras and winning people over.

"With all these code names, people might think you're building up a private militia," one reporter asked him pointedly, and he just laughed it off.

"These aren't code names, they're mutant names. In the growing mutant culture that is emerging, young people want to define themselves. The difficulty of growing into their powers, learning how to control them, requires them to accept those powers as part of who they are. I mean, didn't you ever go by a nickname in college? Perhaps go through a goth phase?"

"I, ah..." the reporter cleared his throat awkwardly in the face of the Professor's placid and knowing smile. "I suppose I did, yeah..."

"There's no difference. In fact, I'd like you to meet someone," said the Professor, and motioned for Rita to come over. She had insisted on tagging along as soon as she'd heard Pyotr was going, and had actually been quite helpful in fixing some of the flooding problems in Times Square. "This young lady goes by Nepra, which was a name given to her by a very close friend, isn't that right?"

Rita nodded silently, and then spoke. "Ah, yes. That is correct."

"And what mutant gift do you have?" The Professor continued.

"I can breathe underwater," said Rita. "Oh, and swim pretty fast without getting tired!"

"I've seen you swim, it's very impressive. You've been thinking about working with underwater rescue and exploration when you're older, haven't you?" The Professor asked, and Rita nodded enthusiastically.

"Oh sure, but... I'm still afraid of sharks," she admitted with a sheepish grin. The reporters and even a few of the camera operators laughed along with that. It was hard to sell mutantkind as a menace when faced with a soft-spoken man in a wheelchair and a little girl in a ponytail who wore a mermaid t-shirt over a wetsuit. But the thought that material like this got good ratings too was rising to the front of their minds with just a little nudge.

Mr. Valentine hadn't gone along, something about being "legally dead", and Ms. Wagner had stayed behind as well. Both of them made sure the school was still running despite the Professor's absence. But besides lessons and lectures, the main concern was about five foot three, green-skinned, and comatose.

"I don't know what we can do for him," said Dr. Reyes, sitting at the briefing room table with the rest of the team two days later. "Scratch that, I don't know what's safe. His body absorbs and adapts all kinds of energy in a way I can't fully understand yet, but that's not all. Something, and possibly the extreme trauma that Jean mentioned, has... I don't really have a better term for it, but it's mutated his mutation. Made it volatile, stronger, and more self-destructive... which might not have been an accident."

"An intentional alteration of mutant abilities?" The Professor steepled his fingers and narrowed his eyes. "This goes beyond enhancement and into a very ugly place."

"I'm looking into it, Charles, but... I'm in no hurry to wake this one up," admitted Dr. Reyes uneasily.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Three weeks. Three weeks since the battle of Times Square. Three weeks since the Professor had been exorcised of his past, quite literally.

It hadn't been a quiet three weeks, but it had been quiet enough. A few days after the Professor's appearance on television, a couple of buses containing protesters had shown up. They'd climbed out, unpacked all their colourful signs full of equally colourful language, then proceeded to tear up all their signs and leave immediately.

The Professor did not suffer fools lightly, but at the very least he had a sense of humour about it.

Mr. Valentine had been working hard the whole time, possibly even more upbeat than the Professor was. Whether it had been Adonis whispering defeatist thoughts into his mind, or the sudden revelation that his son's actions were at least not entirely his own doing, but he was less of a grump than before. Not all sunshine all the time, but definitely more approachable.

Ms. Wagner had been in good spirits too. Playing Predator with the team was apparently much more challenging than with the staff, and with Forge updating the Danger Room every other day, it was getting much more fun to play on both sides. Ms. Wagner had even been coaching a few of them to try out the Predator role themselves.

Leech was still in his coma. The Professor had tried reaching into his mind, but there wasn't enough activity in there for him to hold onto. Just quiet little nightmares, shards of memories surfacing for a moment. Not enough to provide any clues, let alone hold a conversation. Dr. Reyes was adamant that she needed more time to analyse his peculiar mutation before she'd allow anyone to wake him up fully.

Xorn had not been heard of since his latest plan had fallen apart, but he was still out there somewhere. Whether he'd actually intended to steal all that power, or deliberately unleash Leech's destructive rampage, neither had happened. This must have been a setback of some kind for him, and Charles Xavier showing up to provide a friendly and approachable face for mutantkind must have been burning him. Adonis was lucky he was stuck in a jar, because Xorn was probably fairly unhappy with how their bargain had gone.

The MRD's mission statement had been revised several times, eventually with the administration explicitly stating that the MRD were only to apprehend mutants who caused criminal acts, and that simply being a mutant was not, under current law, a criminal act. The Professor had been quite aggressive in his criticism of the MRD, but the call to abolish the agency entirely was being called "too radical" and "shortsighted" by most of Congress and the Senate. This year was an election year, and nobody in power wanted to jeopardise their chances, not with Senator Kelly rallying his base around anti-mutant sentiment to great effect. People were saying he'd be the next president.

Three weeks. A lot can happen in three weeks. A lot more can happen in a single day, and today might have been one of those days.

This is a slow open, so downtime has been had. If there's anything your character's been up to for the past few weeks, mention it now. You can also update your sheets and of course all your stress and PP have refreshed.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane
PP: 1 | XP: 11 | Complications:

The thee weeks had flashed by. After the TV interview, Rene had made the point of getting to know Rita, she was just too adorable, and it had been a pretty good work out giving her piggybacks in wolf form and running around the grounds. In return, she'd asked Rita to teach her to swim. Properly, no one wanted to see her doggie paddle everywhere. That had been awesome. Though the lessons had slightly devolved into playtime. But Rita was still a child, and what kind of dog could say no to ear scratches from someone so adorable. Rita was likely completely unaware of it, but the Wolf would be entirely willing to kill anything that threatened her. Which, while Rene was rather uncomfortable at the thought, she couldn't deny that she'd probably be willing to do nearly anything to protect her.

Innocence like that was worth it's weight in gold.

Then there was Jane and Kia. They'd be spending a lot of time together - Training! Definitely training. She'd been working on combat with Jane. Their wrestling was still one sided. After all, Rene still went a little weak in the knees when Jane pinned her. But while her heart continued to fight with her brain, the pack role had been reinforced, and she was honestly pretty happy with Jane being the alpha. Okay, she'd read a paper that said that whole pack mentality thing wasn't true. But it worked for her. As for Kia, when she wasn't writhing, from the electricity bolts and certainly nothing else, she'd been trying to get The Wolf to not panic at the sound of Thunder. Or in Lee's case, Fireworks.

She'd been trying to get to know everyone. Work out what they specialised in. Lee was still a work in progress. But she was trying to not take her sour attitude personally. Lee clearly had some baggage, and Rene felt 100% certain it was none of her business. Pytor had also been a wresting "partner" and she'd pretty much given up ever being able to pin him. Instead working on moving as quickly as possible to avoid getting grabbed. It was a pretty great work out. And Clarice was just lovely to talk too. She just had a way of being all bright and smiley that just made Rene want to tell her things. So she'd talked about her home town, but the whole subject of her family was still off limits.

Finally there was Jean. She was trying really hard to not go crazy around her. But Rene had a couple of... thought control issues. And when around Jean she started to get extremely self judgemental. So a psychic felt like the perfect person to help her get her mind under control. The Wolf wasn't entirely in favour. But it was at least making it easier to pay attention in class, and honestly, she wanted to get to know her better. She couldn't let her fear of her own brain to get in the way of a friendship with a teammate.

As for right now though? Right now Rene was sitting by the pool. Panting heavily. The water dripping from her damp hair. She'd swum at least... 50 lengths! And only some of those had been doggie paddle! Old habits die hard.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 27, 2018

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Rita was still doing lengths in the pool, and it was like watching a torpedo. It was an Olympic-sized pool and it took her literally seconds to get from one side to the other. She never had to surface either, just back and forth, over and over, right down at the bottom of the pool so she wouldn't bump into anyone else. Eventually she took a sharp upwards turn and shot out of the water, landing semi-gracefully on her feet a short distance from Rene.

"You're getting really good!" Rita said, a little short of breath herself. She grabbed her towel and shoved her face in it, vigorously drying her hair as fast as possible, and still trying to speak at the same time. "I hope that... I didn't discourage you or... anything but I really needed to... burn off some energy. I'm way too excited about... the tournament!"

She took a few deep breaths and sat down next to her dry clothes. She'd taken to wearing a wetsuit most of the time, but she still wore sneakers and a long shirt over the top of it when out of the water. If you didn't pay close attention, it was almost like regular clothes. Today's shirt was a dark blue one with two stylised feathered wings on the front making a heart shape.

"Are you gonna come? I mean, I know it's chess, but I just think it's kinda fun?" She wiggled her bare toes as she finished drying off the slow way. "And I thought it might be nice for everyone to go to the city when it's not, um... under attack or anything."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 4 | XP: 13

Life most certainly comes at you fast. Hell, a few weeks back the prospect of people liking her, really in any sense of the word, was practically off of Jane's radar. But, well, things have definitely gotten complicated. In a good way, she thinks, but most certainly complicated. It used to be that she could just sorta wander off to be alone when the sensory experiences and unrelenting social expectations got to be too much, but that was a helluva lot more difficult when people were expecting her to be there for them. And it's not like the time was bad or anything, really, it was just... different.

Of course, there were more than a few good changes too. She's been keeping up with her sessions with the Professor and, between all the benefits of having Adonis out of his gourd and some of the keywords that had popped up, they've made some real progress on creating a stable mental space to explore and push deeper into what her past was all about. And, apparently, she's had foot claws the whole time. That was a bit of a surprise, for sure, and led to the sad demise of several pairs of footwear before she got a handle on the muscular twitch that got 'em out for action.

Jane has also been enjoying the games of Predator with Ms. Wagner. The constant give-and-take of new tactics is pushing her, for sure, and it's a good chance to develop her rapport with the team... though she's also looking forward to getting to actually be the predator. She gets on well with Rene and Kia, obviously, and she has a healthy understanding built on mutual respect with Pete. The others... well, that's still a work in progress. She really doesn't know how the social butterflies do it.

As Rene and Rita finish up in the institute's pool, Jane is... looking surprisingly studious as she works on some assignments for class on one of the pool-side lounge chairs. She's wearing a white halter top and a pair of khaki capris as she takes advantage of the warm day. Of course, given the healing factor, any hope of tanning is remote at best. Looking up from her homework, Jane says, "I could use a break, sure." Left unsaid was that it would also be nice to go somewhere and not end up being attacked by mutant black ops and MRD soldiers. "Where's it at, exactly?"

Adding a new SFX to Weapon Plus Project via a Professor-based breakthrough!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane
PP: 1 | XP: 11 | Complications:

If she was being honest, Rene would have traded her left foot to be as graceful as Rita was in the water. It was honestly entrancing. She got more and more confident every day, and faster and faster. But the water was her world. And Rene wasn't the sort of girl to beget someone for what made them special. They were all mutants after all. Rene grinned. "Only if I get to bring a squeaky toy to distract your opponents with if they're mean." She joked. Was she joking? God a squeaky toy sounded great right now. She shook the thought away. "Of course I'll come along. I'll even try to sit still for longer then ten minutes. I mean, I won't have a clue what's going on. But I promise to look really impressed the whole time."

She glanced over at Jane. She was wearing sandals. Ha. The feet claws were obviously still taking a little getting used to. It was weird seeing her in something not rugged, but in a good way. Though, she was still having issues imagining Jane in a dress. Maybe one day.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Well, uh..." Rita hesitated with an awkward expression. "It was supposed to be at this big hotel in Times Square, but they sort of... had to relocate? They moved it to someplace less... collapsed. But it's next week and the Professor said he was going and he'd be happy to pay for everyone which is super nice of him because I kinda spent too much of my birthday money to afford... things."

She fished around in her bag as Rene spoke, and pulled out a small collection of magazines, some more dog-eared than others. She picked one out and held it up to show the front cover. The cover photo was a striking platinum blonde, holding up a crystal chess piece with a confident smile.

"I'm not playing, I'm nowhere near good enough yet, but she is. Her name is Emma Frost and she is super good but also so pretty and she came out of nowhere just like I did! Well not Iowa specifically but like, uh... humble beginnings? She talks a lot about it in her interviews, and now she's like... totally amazing and on magazines and everything!"

She held up another magazine, this one open to a feature headlined as "The Ice Queen's Reign", and pointed excitedly to one of the pictures. "See, she loves to play white because she's fearless about going first but even when she's playing black she doesn't hesitate. Everyone else says she's super intimidating to play but I think she seems nice."

Rita stuffed the magazines back in her bag with a small measure of care and then slipped her shirt on over her wetsuit.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Storm
PP: 1 | XP: 2 | Stress

The last three weeks had been wild, that's for sure. So much had happened, and Kia's having a hard time keeping track of it all! Still, even with how busy she's been lately, the weather-controlling girl still manages to find time to write a few letters to her old friends back in Brazil, letting them know how she's been doing, and telling them about all the crazy adventures she's been getting into, and about all the people she met along the way. She even attached a few pictures and selfies she took with the others in her letters, too.

When she hasn't been writing back to her old family, Kia had spent most of her time getting to know her current family. She's been spending a lot of time with Jane and Rene, of course, but aside from those two, she gets along well with most of the others. Most of them, anyways. She enjoys hanging around Pete, and talking with Clarice is always a lot of fun, if a little exhausting, but then there's Lee and Jean. Lee is... well, she's got a lot of issues, that much is clear. Kia doesn't have a problem with her, personally, but she really thinks Lee needs to learn to loosen up a little sometimes. As for Jean... if she's being honest, she doesn't know what to think about her.

"Emma Frost, huh? That's an interesting name," Says Kia, who's wearing a white crop-top and denim shorts to go along with it, and carrying two non-alcoholic (They're still in public, after all) fruity drinks with her. "I don't know much about chess, but heading out to the city with everybody else sounds like it'd be a great time. Especially when someone else's paying for it!" She saunters over to where Jane is sitting, and hands her one of the drinks. She then turns to Rene and Rita, and says, "Besides, I think we could all use a break after how crazy the last few weeks have been."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pyotr
PP: 1| XP: 5

You could be forgiven for thinking that there'd be a moment where Pete would turn off. Right after the Predator game and the beach trip it was two hours in the gym with the music on full blast; he wanted to see if the gains in strength he was making in his flesh-and-bone form was passing through to the metal form and if there was a sort of scaling that took place there. He kept working at it, every day. Monday was legs and calves, Tuesday was chest, Wednesday was arms, Thursday was a rest, Friday was shoulders, Saturday was back with Sunday being cardio. Saturday, by this point, meant pull ups 'till he failed. Then over to a barbell for some shrugs which he knew weren't exactly doin' much for him at this point. He kept asking Forge to either make or buy some new plates but that kind of outlay for one person wasn't, apparently, something that was feasible.

Next day it was through to the city again with the Professor. It was supposed to be a rest day but turned out to be anything but. Once everything was cleared and the 'concerned citizens' were allowed into the area, Pete and Rene made a pretty good team. Standing at the entrance to the subway station in the Port Authority Terminal. Every line came through this part of the city just about and when the two teenagers head down there, ducking past the cops and EMT's and national guard that'd been deployed around the area. For the most part, the mutants that wanted to help out were able to get by just looking like humans. Jean could hold a hand against her head and do that 'I'm doing mental stuff' hand movement - it was like a magician's misdirection as far as Pyotr could tell; she didn't need to do that stuff because it was a mental power; the hand against her head was done as a courtesy to the rest of us apes to show 'no, don't worry, I'm making that thing levitate.'

"You ready to give them a show?" asked Pete standing at the entrance to the subway complex. He looked around at the city engineers who were waiting and holding out for the heavy lifting equipment to show up; getting something that could move subway trains that'd flipped over down here was a real challenge considering the tunnels were cracked. "Don't freak out," said Pete. His first contraction in English.

Within a heartbeat, a giant, towering metal man was standing there next to a big, shuddering wolfdog.

"Holy poo poo..." came a murmured replay.

"I get that a lot. Rene, go find 'em," said Colossus. The wolf darted off down the tunnel, nose low to the ground. He walked behind her and stop when she stopped. They arrived at a collapsed part of the tunnel and Rene started to bark. Pete walked over, inspected it for structural integrity and then just started to lift with one hand. He stepped through and grabbed the train that was stuck in place with the other and began to drag it forwards. It was still on its rails, at least, so he wasn't pulling it with zero help but the slackened jaws of the rescue workers was reward enough. Honestly? Pete just liked to show off.

Another hour underground and the pair were starting to gather a crowd. 'Hey Carl, you gotta come down here and see this dog. She's the smartest dog you ever saw.' 'Isn't that the big metal guy from Twitter?' '-Some kinda robot-' '-s not a dog, 's a wolf.' '-ot a wolf, it's a person.' '-not a person, it's a muta-' The amount of people piling off trains looking shaken up but not that much worse for wear was pretty heartening. The number of people that blocked up the exit looking for a selfie with the two X-men was more surprising. He figured being the strong and silent type would work well. What hadn't been realised by anyone else was that Pete, within the first five minutes of being down there, had clumsily stepped onto the third rail. A few thousand volts had shot through him. This wouldn't be the last time he did that during the course of the day and, finally, as things started to wind down and he had some time alone in the tunnels with Rene he just stopped, leant forwards and put his hands on his knees and groaned.

"I keep stepping on that electric rail. Oh my God I feel like I am going to die." The wolf simply looked up blew a raspberry.

He muttered something and the two of them left. He clunk-clunk-clunk'd his way up the stairs to see the Professor and Nepra talking to the press. He decided he'd hang back and head to Brighton Beach, go try and find some people from back home he could go hang out with. Or, at the very least, some food and a place that would serve him a drink. Everyone went back to the school and, honestly, Pete had considered going through to Brighton and actually doing what he'd said he was gonna do.

'hey. you around?'
'Of course.'
'wanna meet up?'
'I'd like that.'

Pete made his way up town.

He was back in the school on Sunday evening. Forge met him at the door with a raised eyebrow. Pete shrugged and stepped around the man before heading back to his room. Forge just shook his head, sighed and moved back into the mansion. Pete kept attending classes, kept taking his English lessons, kept working out, kept drawing and training. Three weeks later, he was standing in the Danger Room with Ms. Wagner. He was in his full metal form and exploring a rather unusual development. It seemed that all his exposure to incredibly high voltages had led to something inside him converting to store electricity. Only accessible while he was metal. He could absorb it, store it and shoot it. His aim was about as graceful as the rest of him though and he'd missed every shot Wagner had put into the air. Tennis balls tossed skywards gently.

"Черт возьми!" he grunted, another shot going wide. "What am I doing wrong?" His usually good mood was being brought down hard by a failure to shoot lightning from his hands straight. 's got a weird life...

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink
PP: 1|XP: 2| Stress:

The past few weeks had been...weird for Clarice. Well, unusual, maybe, more than weird.

Mostly because she hadn't acquired anything without asking for it first. It's not that the itch wasn't there but she understood that optics were now a thing - not that she was particularly involved in the Professor's "Community Outreach" program or anything - it was probably better off that she didn't involve herself (and given that the Professor hadn't said anything about it she figured he had come to a similar conclusion), but clearly a teleporting thief wasn't going to help matters while Xavier was using the X-Men as sort of poster-children for mutant-human relations. Which meant she had to lay relatively low. Which meant she was utterly bored.

And that meant that Blink was certainly going to involve herself in whatever it was her classmates-turned-teammates and professors-turned-mentors were up to. And she had been filling up her time by being a busybody - which was something she was pretty good at, at least.

Clearly, she had spent a lot of time with Jubilation - sorry, Lee. Clarice really wanted to call her by her first name but on the other hand she was rather reluctant to give the other girl any other reason to avoid her. Or try, anyway. Clarice had noticed that most of the other students had shied away from her fellow gothling, but unlike Clarice Lee wasn't doing anything to win people over with her personality, either. She got that, to a certain extent - Lee clearly wasn't trying to make friends so much to avoid getting in trouble with the authorities. And when one's talents lie more in pyrotechnics than in escape strategies, one couldn't afford to be so chipper.

But given the revelations on the beach, Clarice really wanted to make it clear that she was there to be a friend. She had offered to take the other girl somewhere else. Anywhere else, to relax maybe. Or speak, outside the range of any prying ears...er...or minds (if that was even possible), if Lee wanted to talk about anything else that wasn't easily brought up in mixed company. And she had made sure to keep Lee's secret so far. And she was ready to go if Lee needed any help with the other half of that, too. In a heartbeat.

She wasn't sure Pyotr had done the same but being that she hadn't heard of Lee being in any sort of trouble she could probably guess it. Pyotr was an odd duck, to Clarice. He was certainly passionate. Driven. Handsome. But totally not into the same sort of stuff as Clarice. Colossus seemed to view life as an endless struggle and chance to kind of showboat and improve, to Clarice. She guessed this was due to his Russian upbringing. Hard to say for sure, of course. Of course he was intimidating, too. But Clarice felt a certain amount of intimidated by all of the uh...upper classmen? The three that had been with the team longer. Not that she was really willing to show that to Pyotr, anyway. She guessed Jane could probably smell it or something and she was quite convinced herself that Jean had read her mind about it. But she could still tell herself that she didn't feel cowed by Pyotr so she kept up with the teasing and playfulness around him.

Of course, she was currently sort of annoyed with him, too. He had asked her to make a portal for him, apparently he had a date. Which was really kind of rude of him to ask herfine and all, but he hadn't even shown up when he had asked her to get the portal ready for him. She had spent her whole afternoon looking the place up on google maps to familiarize herself with the area enough to do what he asked and then he totally ghosted her. Which was impressive given his stature. But still, annoying.

Rene was...friendly enough. She didn't quite feel like she was in the whole "inner circle" of Jane, Rene, and Kia, and she was relatively certain there was some sort of spring romance in the works between the three of them. It was cute, really, but they all felt sort of walled off to Clarice. Still, Rene was nice. Friendly. A bit confused. Clarice guessed there was some sort of wolf thing...going on with her head given some of her mannerisms. Not that Clarice was one to judge confusing mind impulses or anything, but she didn't feel right asking, either.

She had kind of made it a point not to get in Jane's way. The other girl kind of gave off a "leave me alone" aura. Plus the whole snippet of memory of hers' that Clarice had seen in the Professor's head (which was still really confusing to think about) felt sort of like something she really shouldn't have seen on her own, so she didn't want to pry. Not that that had really stopped Kia or Rene, but...well, like Clarice said the three of them seemed to be sort of a unit. And Clarice didn't really want to intrude.

Kia did seem pretty cool, mind. But other than like, Danger Room exercises, she hadn't really had any opportunity to really talk to her. When she did Kia always seemed a little...well not bored by her but maybe exhausted by her. Which was...well, Clarice got that. She did. But it did sort of feel like a subtle, maybe subconscious "go away" from the other girl. That sort of go away meant a whole lot more than Lee's overt "I am totally telling you to go away and not secretly asking for attention and friendship" - at least as far as Clarice could intuit. She wasn't psychic.

Jean was, though. And that sort of freaked her out. A lot. Maybe because of their little spat in the Professor's head, which honestly Clarice wasn't even sure Jean remembered - or maybe just because the other girl seemed so fearsome back then. Probably (also) because the more she hung out around Jean, the higher the chance that the other girl would find out all of Clarice's dirty laundry - and unlike with the Professor who she could at least count on to maybe not tell everyone, Clarice (right or wrong) figured that it might end up being more of a "secret's out!" sort of thing with Jean.

Of course, it seemed that was sort of the case with a lot of the other students and Jean, so, Blink tried not to be unfriendly. She talked to her. Asked her her interests and likes and all that. Casually. Kept it light. Friendly. Not deep.

In fact, Clarice seemed to do a lot of that, overall, with everyone. Which was sort of a bummer. To her. But better to keep your cards close to your chest.

Other than bothering her teammates, Clarice kept up her lessons with Miss Wagner (who she still thought was super cool), and otherwise just...explored. Mexico City was cool. Australia was neat. Alaska was way too cold. But no matter who she bothered or where she went, she was still sort of...

Bored. She decided. It was definitely boredom. She had ended up back in the Mansion. Really, back in her room, and was simply tossing a ball at the wall. Bored. Boredom sucked.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 4 | XP: 13

Jane doesn't twitch when Rita mentions the hotel, but she does remember tangling with Iceberg in the middle of it. poo poo happens, right? She takes the drink and takes an experimental sip. It's... extremely fruity, but also nice and cold to contrast with the heat. She says, "Huh, this Emma is a girl after my own heart. It's always better to be on the attack." Jane flips her books closed and shoves them back into her backpack. "Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind taking the fight to the Brotherhood... assuming they haven't called it quits yet."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Jean Grey
PP: 0 | XP: 3

Jean was busy. First, there were the repair efforts definitely giving her powers a workout. Gestures or no, it was hard to lift a chunk of road without getting at least a little bit of a funny look on her face. The hand gestures help one distract from the fact that her brow looks like it's going to knit itself into a knot, really.

These days, she was rivaling Sarah in hours clocked in the Danger Room. Not to say she didn't work out - after all, learning how to handle herself was already part of getting to be on the X-Men in the first place - but trying to focus on getting better at close-in and powerless situations. She never really warms too much to Predator- ugh, guns- but at least seems better at it. Serious? Probably. But it's largely a personal thing, unless anybody comes in to give her pointers.

Rene had her a little worried, though. Not the girl with her heart on her sleeve, mind, but whatever was just under the surface. Still, at least she was starting to open up. And if anybody was doing to probably give her a tips, it'd be Jane... but it's a question how complicated things go. Or, more accurately, when things get complicated, and why. Kia was a lot like Jean in their powers, and... really different in just about every other way. There wasn't really common ground, at least not yet. Clarice... had a wall up, and she wasn't sure why. Like Rene, it didn't feel right to force the situation, as tempting as it was at times.

Lee? Well, no love lost, necessarily, but Jean seemed willing to back her when push came to punishment. Teacher's pet, maybe, but not exactly obedient, particularly when she felt she was in the right. And when isn't a teenager in the right...?

And there were still movie nights, team exercises, and... being there for everyone in general. And noone in particular.

"I didn't know you knew words like that. Lightning seems like its own boss once it leaves your hand-", Jean adds to Pyotr as she sits in midair crosslegged, settled in her workout clothes after just having finished a routine and watching the practice. "- maybe you can ask Kia how she manages to get hits." She leans around the lightning rod put up on the edge of the practice area, for safety's sake, peering. "Oh, we could just make a helmet with one of these." She points to the rod. "And I could plant it on the bad guy's head before you let loose!"

Not exactly a dignified solution.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pyotr
PP: 1| XP: 5

"Lightning can kiss my rear end once it leaves my hand-!" grunts Pete. "And I know plenty of words," he said, throwing an arm forwards.

This one hits a tennis ball and causes it to detonate but it still seems like it's eighty percent luck, fifteen percent chance and five percent skill. Jean knows it. Wagner knows it. Pete knows it. Them there's the suggestion about the helmet and Jean gets a big dose of stink eye from him.

"You know how I do not give you- what is it?" he paused. "Constructive criticism when you in gym? I can start if that is what you want," he sniffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Nobody was ever born knowing what they're doing," chided Ms. Wagner, picking up another tennis ball. "Especially not when our mutations... develop. I can attest to that."

It had taken another round or two of Predator to realise that Ms. Wagner's other name, Nocturne, was actually a reference to her ability to fade away in darkness. It wasn't invisibility by a long shot, but in a gloomy room it came fairly close. Close enough to make her an infuriatingly difficult target to hit, at any rate.

"Adam didn't even realise he was a mutant until he met Charles," she added with a sigh and a smile. "He just thought he was naturally gifted with machines... it took a while to unlock his connection. So! You may suck today, Pete, but as a wise man once said: sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something. Or maybe you are more cut out to be a big steel electric eel? Physical contact is your strong point."