Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Colossus
PP: 1 | XP: 2

"Officially is maybe strong word," said Piotr, trying to play it at least a little bit cool."

Now he actually felt kind of bad about throwing that watercooler. Even worse about using that car to block Iceberg's attack. That- that would be difficult to clear on an insurance claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Marvel Girl
PP: 2 | XP: 2 | Mental Stress: 1d6

Yeah, the details of being a telepath... well. Hard to be up-front about it. It was scary enough being one, much less facing one.

"Thanks, we appreciate it. We're not exactly in it for the popularity, but... we appreciate it.", she replies to Lisa. She looks up to Piotr rubbing her shoulder, and then goes to her communicator. "Everybody ready to go?" If they're short on emergencies, they're short on reasons to linger. "Looks like we're ready to bail."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Frog

"We got everything unloaded, right? As long as everyone else here is accounted for, we've done all we can and should do. For now, at least. You ready to fly us back, 'Cyke?'" Frog chuckles a bit at the impromptu nickname, hoping that it gets treated as an inside joke among friends or a well intentioned jab than anything negative.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


The man with the bad shirt had raised his voice so loud that he was impossible not to hear, and attracting quite a crowd of facility employees. "So we're probably going to be tested now, because of this, and I don't know about you, but I don't think my insurance covers genetic mutation. I figure we've gotta sue, all of us. Take the government to task for this and get a big payout. Make it a, what's the word, class action lawsuit. Because they shoulda known something like this would happen! It's happening every drat day, up and down the country!"

Lisa gave Jean and Piotr a look of half-embarrassment, half-worry. "He, ah... well, he's on Reddit a lot."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

Piotr looked over at the man and shook his head. He stood up to his full height and rolled his shoulder. "Mutation isn't spread through contact. It's only spread from one parent to their children," said Piotr. Still... he had a feeling the mood was shifting. He raised a finger to his ear. "Okay, come topside, I think we should be making moves..." he said quietly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Marvel Girl
PP: 2 | XP: 2 | Mental Stress: 1d6

Raising an eyebrow, Marvel Girl gives the man disbelieving look. "Yeah, we should... go.", she says to Piotr, before starting to back off.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010


Cyclops
PP:1 XP: 2

Cyclops emerged just in time to hear the tail end of the angry tirade from the man with a terrible shirt and she'd had enough. "Look pal first of all mutation doesn't work that way, it's not a disease you can catch it's just something you're born with like red hair" she gestures to herself "or being tall" she gestures to one of the security guards. "None of us chose to be different, I sure as hell didn't wake up one morning and decide hey today is the day I want to punch holes in the walls with my laser beam eyes for the rest of my life. Pete over there didn't wake up thinking today's the day I'm growing metal all over my body. Nah we're just people like the rest of you, trying to make the right choices. We won't always be right but--"

It was at that point her communicator beeped. Frog, and the rest were clearly ready to go before the mood of the crowd turned ugly. "Look we have to go now, the emergency services should be here soon to help you clean up." I hope she added mentally. As she pushed her way through the crowd she responded to Frog''s call "sure let's get going while we still can there's not much more we can do here and we need to figure out our next move." she said shifting slightly uncomfortably as she realised she didn't know how to respond to Frog's nicknaming. She'd have to have a word with her about it later...

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


"That's a threat! That's a personal threat! You all heard her, she directly threatened me and all of you–" bad shirt man's tirade was cut short by Lisa Peterson, giving a whistle and then clapping her hands loudly.

"Hey everyone! If you're feeling good enough to shout, you've got better things to do with your time. Like it or not, we're going to have to take a look and see what's still working around here. We've got some holes in the walls and a lot of other damage. Doug, isn't that your car over there... and over there?"

Bad shirt man looked over to the wreck that had once been a fully-functioning automobile, up until Colossus had hit Iceberg with it. He let out a strangled cry of anguish and ran over to it, babbling incoherently and waving his arms. Lisa shot a smile and a wink in the direction of the team, and started talking loudly again, diverting all the attention away from the young mutants.

With whisper-flight engaged, nobody even noticed the Blackbird leaving. Although there were several boxes of emergency supplies left behind that were eventually put to good use.

"I see you are heading back, my X-Men," came the Professor's voice over the radio once they were in the air, breaking the tense quiet. "The broadcast has scarcely been down for more than twenty minutes, and already things are becoming... difficult. There is panic at the White House, and talk of convening Congress for an emergency session."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Frog

Oh, jeez... Donna kind of forgot the whole 'national crisis' thing going on in the mini-panic after Xorn appeared. But at least there are talks being had at all, right? Better that than an immediate declaration against mutants. That said, her mind is racing about what went down there. Did they get caught on camera? Are they going to remember us well enough to get composite sketches? If their likenesses do pop up on TV, what will Mom and Dad think? The frog sinks into her seat, trying to ponder all these questions and more simultaneously.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr
PP: 1 | XP: 2

Pete stared down at Bad Shirt man and, for a moment, wanted to say something. He took a deep breath, turned and started his way back to the Blackbird, leaving the crate of supplies behind. Well, at least there was something that seemed like they'd accomplished something here. He moved to sit down in one of the seats and folded his arms and- well, he looked grumpy.

He reached into the seat pocket and pulled out his phone and slid his thumb over it. Honestly, he was half tempted to look up a mutant named Justine on Facebook. See if she had something there. Maybe later, but right now? Now he started up twitter and winced.

"Internet is back."

He scrolled through a few tweets on the major trending words.

"Maybe- maybe don't read if you want to feel good about things," he said, before thumbing through some more. He looked over at Frog and gave her chair a gentle shove. "You good?"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


The entire internet was a mess, and Twitter was no different. Possibly worse, in fact. In time short amount of time since the broadcast ended, there had been untold millions of updates containing angry opinions, misinformation, lies, and more. No one phrase or hashtag had been settled on yet, but discussion of the broadcast was all there was right now.

    #mutantbroadcast is #fakenews
    Is it #Zorn or #Xorn? Vote and RT
    Verified reports coming in that NO DEMOCRAT HOUSEHOLD was affected by this globalist strike on our freedoms!!! #NoMutantSocialism #PrayForUSA #KellyWasRight #GoCowboys
    #mutants just declared war and POTUS is #golfingagain smdh
    For the first ten minutes I thought this was just the weirdest Twitch ad I'd ever seen. #globalbroadcast
    What time is it? Time for a change. #2-48-32


That last tag was only on a small handful of tweets, but it was a recurring number. Colossus still had his phone set to local time in Westchester, NY, and the clock said it was coming up on 9:15pm. It had been close to 6pm when the broadcast had started. It seemed possible that it had lasted for two hours, forty-eight minutes, and thirty-two seconds in total.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Marvel Girl
PP: 2 | XP: 2 | Mental Stress: 1d6

Arms folded, Marvel Girl ponders. Should she have done something about that guy? Maybe she could have... well, it's wrong, but he's just going to spread his ideas, and then...

She looks over to Colossus and sighs. "Well, I'm going to hear it either way. Yay, telepathy.", she says as she looks towards the window. There was something the Professor didn't mention, it seems. But how does she even confront him about it? "Seems like some of Xorn's followers seemed like anything but volunteers. I mean, that doesn't mean they're necessarily good people, but Mastermind was scared. Hijack was out. Iceberg..." She trails off. "... I didn't get much of a chance to look at his mind. Seemed like he was enjoying himself, though. In a crazy person kind of way."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr
PP: 1 | XP: 2

"Iceberg was a piece of poo poo," said Piotr. "Stupid and cruel, but has a glass jaw." He was still sort of mad at Magma about missing that opportunity to get him down, out and then back to the school for questioning. "Justine did not seem like she was believer. Just- there for something to believe." Justine? They're on first name basis already?

Sion fucked around with this message at Nov 20, 2017 around 11:47

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


Piotr's phone lost connection as the Blackbird gained altitude, miles above the clouds, skirting the edge of space as it hit Mach 4 on the way back to the Institute. But the radio still functioned, picking up signals of things struggling to get back to normal after almost three hours of chaos. But a return to normalcy wasn't liable to happen, not after this.

Only Nocturne was there to greet them when they returned, tail lashing with impatience and worry. "Charles – the Professor – is watching the news. Adam is... drinking. And you are a sight for sore eyes."

She gave a smile of relief. "I was so worried, I really was, but... you did it. I just wish it had never been necessary in the first place."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Frog

Piotr's "gentle" jostling did little to assuage Donna's fears as the flight went on. Once the plane landed, however, everyone else getting off the Blackbird snapped her out of her hyperthink. Considering how loud she'd been thinking in the presence of not just one, but now two psychics, a slight blush ran across her face. Pulling herself together, she opts to try to lighten the mood.

"Well, considering the fact that this was all ready for us ahead of time, it's safe to say things went a lot better and faster than they could've been, right? And as far as we know, aside from a few bruised egos, nobody was hurt! I'd call that 'mission accomplished', that's for sure."

The state-of-the-art jet, the uniforms, the supplies, the training, this really could have gone so much worse were it not for this being prepped in advance. Which begs the question of whether the Professor had been anticipating something like this or this was just some abandoned pet project that just so happened to come in handy. But while this was the place, it was neither the time nor the person to be asking those kinds of questions.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Marvel Girl
PP: 2 | XP: 2 | Mental Stress: 1d6

"It's Xorn's fault, not any of yours. All of us agreed to this.", Jean points out. "We were able to make a difference before things got worse, and it's thanks to you." But how much did they actually thwart? Was Xorn always going to just take his ball and go home? Did they just play their hand a turn too soon?

"I figured the Professor'd be-" Greeting us, but she trails off before she says it. "Well, it's okay." She looks over to others, trying to read their feelings... without her powers, of course. Touching her temple, she sends out a thought. . o O (Professor? Are you okay? There are some things I should show you when you're ready.)

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


I'm quite all right, Jean, thank you for asking. Just... perturbed by how things are unfolding. I feel as if this Xorn has shattered the very foundations of the world I had hoped to help build. The Professor's thoughts were tinted with sadness, but not so much that Jean could feel the emotion directly.The next psychic message went out to the entire team. I would very much like it if you all joined me in my study, I should like you all to see what's been going on. Yes, you too, Nocturne. I also would like to hear about how the mission went.

"Ach, that's not good," muttered Nocturne, her tail lashing again. "If this is anything like last time, he's going to stay holed up in there for a week."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

Piotr raised an eyebrow looking at Nocturne. "I have questions," he said. "You say like last time. This means it has happened before?" he started to walk with her to the Professor's study. "Also- One setback and he-" he said, frowning, trying to puzzle through it. "Пей, да де́ло разуме́й? Drink too much?"

'He's drinking, is he still an expert in his business?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


"Adam drinks," said Nocturne, and immediately regretted saying so. You didn't need to read minds to figure that out. "That is to say, Mr. Valentine has had a difficult time with his wife's passing and his son... leaving, and sometimes he wants to be left alone. The Professor doesn't really drink, I think because of his telepathy. He just gets... introspective."

The way she emphasised the word made it sound as bad as drinking. She rubbed her temples as she led the group off through the underground levels to the elevator. "When they left... David and the others, I mean... the Professor got the exact same way. Shut himself in his study and tried to figure out where he went wrong, what he could have done better, how he could have prevented it. I don't know if he's ever truly accepted that sometimes, people just want different things."

Once in the elevator, her tail stabbed at the button for the upper levels, and she watched the doors close with a faraway expression on her face, saying nothing, lost in thought.

The Professor's study also served as his office for the purposes of running the school, dominated by a very large and very old wooden desk that had a whole history to it that nobody could quite remember correct. Something about it related to the history of the Xavier family, who had been old money since back before the founding fathers. The Professor was probably the first of his line to actually do something for other people with all that money.

The big widescreen television was out, not behind the sliding wooden panel that usually hid it away to preserve the room's d้cor aesthetic. A man in glasses and a suit, identified as "Senator Kelly (R-WY)" underneath, was in the middle of talking. Rather emphatically, too, as he was going red in the face. But then the screen turned off, and the Professor turned his chair around to greet the group as they entered.

"My X-Men," he said, a thin smile on his face. He looked tired, older. He gestured to the other chairs in the room. "Take a seat, anywhere you like. Piotr, you may require the couch, I'm not sure you'd be comfortable elsewhere. Nocturne? Ah... I see you've acquired your usual spot."

Nocturne had already leapt up onto the back of a very large armchair and was perched there like a cat, tail swiping from side to side.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at Nov 27, 2017 around 16:00

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

Pete couldn't make out what the man on the screen was saying. Accent was too thick, he was speaking too quickly, and he was using a lot of legalise sounding phrases. He knew that facial expression though, and the general aura that the man presented himself with. He looked over to the couch and then to the Professor with a little bit of a smile. Honestly, he was a big dude, but arm-chairs were still in his wheelhouse of possibilities. He gave a single chuckled laugh before heading over to the couch and sitting down on the right end, arm up over the back of it.

It wasn't like there'd been much time to get changed between getting on the plane, landing and coming up here and, honestly, if the X-Men had been marched through the hallways of the school, there'd have been a more than reasonable chance they'd have been given some confused looks. It wasn't like this whole paramilitary-lite thing they were doing at the moment was especially well known. He'd even done a search on twitter for stuff geotagged at the radio array to see if anyone had snuck a picture of them out. Thankfully, there didn't seem to be. 'Check out this huge silver dude and the ice monster!' That probably wouldn't be what his government handlers had meant by 'keep your head down and stay out of the headlines.'

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Frog
PP: 0 | XP: 2

Donna opts for the same 'perch on a seat' approach as Nocturne, given she kind of just got out of a miniature panic trance, and focusing on not falling off the chair would certainly keep her mind off of that. Really, the primary thought on her mind at this point is whether she can get out of the uniform and back into her usual clothes. Comfortable as it was, she yearned for pockets that weren't attached to a utility belt. Plus from her read of the room it seemed like this is going to be a 'congratulations on a job well done, we couldn't have asked for a better result' sort of debriefing, so maybe things could go back to being casual? Either way, she opted to try breaking the ice and adding some levity.

"So. How's this going to reflect on our progress reports?"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


The Professor laughed, his smile becoming more heartfelt. "I shouldn't worry, Ms. Fraccione, from what I understand you all did admirably. No casualties, the broadcast ended... given the circumstances, nothing went wrong at all. However, I am afraid that even a successful mission cannot undo what has been done. Xorn's message to the world may have set events in motion that even we, with all our abilities, may be powerless to stop."

He steepled his fingers and glanced momentarily at the spot on the wall where the television was hidden away. "For years now I have been plagued with... a feeling of unease. A sense of foreboding that I could never shake. I have had such terrible dreams... such nightmares... and that is why I started this school, why I began the X-Men project. I have been hoping to be prepared for whatever disaster was impending, and yet I was still not ready enough."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010


Cyclops
PP:1 XP: 2

Cyclops sat straight backed on the edge of one of the chairs as if she didn't quite trust the comfort of it or herself not to enjoy that comfort. It was a lot to take in and right now she was still running on adrenaline and trying to stop her brain from replaying every moment of the fighting. What could she have done differently to make the fight go better. Despite all the training she'd still got distracted and been put off-balance for most of the mission it was her fault it hadn't gone better not the professors.

"Professor it's not your fault." she finally spoke aloud. "You trained us as best you could when we didn't know what we were up against. And we won." She said smiling at the team though it was perhaps a trifle more fixed than she'd intended. "the broadcast is over and no one got too badly hurt, and everyone performed extremely well." except for me she though bitterly but I can't blame the team for my screw ups. "And now that we do know what we're up against next time we can be ready for them." She nodded decisively "It's Xorn that concerns me, between the rest of us we managed to deal with his underlings but I gave him my best shot and he just waved it off like it was nothing." and that frightened her a little. Since she'd started training and practising with her powers she'd grown in confidence. She'd promised herself that she wasn't going to be the scared little foster girl who'd been bullied too many times before. But Xorn scared her just a little. But being scared didn't mean she was going to let Xorn beat her beat them.

Changing the subject she turned to the professor "So how are the public responding to Xorn's broadcast. Now that the airwaves are clear anyway?" she asked. Judging by the news the professor had been watching not too well. But if anyone would know what people were thinking it would be the professor and she trusted him to tell them what they needed to know.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


"Uncertainty and panic for the most part," replied the Professor tersely, "with a few opportunists seeking to capitalise on it. There are some loud voices in Congress right now saying that the broadcast should be considered an act of war. Hate groups across the world have been making even more extreme statements, including a call for a cull on all mutants. I shudder to think that this is the kind of chaos that Xorn had hoped to cause."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

Piotr looked at the Professor and shrugged his shoulders. "I think it was good," he said. "We know more about Brotherhood, no one died," he said. "I handed out supplies to people in shock and spoke. Lisa Peterson is leader to them and she seemed smart. If she can be on television news rather than someone else, then we might come out otherside not smelling too badly."

He folded his arms over his chest and sneered a little at the mention of calls for a cull.

"There are angry people, but if we are evolution, then they are angry at their unborn children." He paused. "We should get out there. Get ahead of it."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Jean Grey
PP: 2 | XP: 2 | Mental Stress: 1d6

Jean sits down quietly, picking up a pencil to fidget with before letting go of it, letting it float in midair. "Maybe... we shouldn't get tunnel vision. Piotr's right. There's more that we can help with instead of just stopping other mutants." She pokes at the pencil, and it starts to lazily spin. "If there's a disaster or an emergency, maybe we can fly out and help. I mean, this might not what you thought of when forming our team, but... we could do good instead of just stopping bad."

She looks over to the others. "I mean." She gets a slightly embarrassed grin. "If you'd be up for that kind of thing. But I think we can do a lot more. And we need to find a way to look for Xorn, too."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


"Quite the contrary, I had always hoped for the X-Men to do good in the world. Our powers are a responsibility, and we ought to use them for the good of others. It is Xorn who seems intent on a might-makes-right policy, although it is hard to guess what he might be thinking. Usually I have more direct insight." The Professor gave a small laugh, but it was clear he wasn't that amused.

"Is it that bad, Charles?" Nocturne asked.

"Worse than I could ever imagine. It is like he does not even exist. Through Cerebro, I can reach out to every mind on the planet. I could sense every mind there – except for his. I had no idea he had even been there until they told me. In all my life I have never met anyone whose mind was completely hidden from me like this... except once, an old acquaintance with truly remarkable powers, but..." the Professor shook his head, frowning. "No, this wouldn't be his way."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

Piotr listened to the Professor and raised an eyebrow. He folded his huge arms over his chest and shook his head. He had been watching the pencil float there in mid-air, suspended by Jean. He'd always thought that something like that would require real effort, or would require her to do that weird 'I'm touching my head with two fingers' thing that people with extra-normal mental abilities always seemed to do. Seeing something float so lazily and so simply was- well, it was incredible. Then again, a month ago he'd dead-lifted an oil tanker, so the incredible was an every day occurrence at the moment.

"That is cryptic," said Piotr. "Not his way, worse than you could ever imagine-" he continued. "You are not... What's the word?"

He took a beat, shook his head and moved on.

"Okay. You find us mutant in danger, we move there, make a rescue. You find us next mutant, we make next rescue. If it is going to be as bad as you think, this is our new mission."

Realisation dawned on him. Inspirational.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


"My apologies, Piotr, call it a half-finished thought. Many years ago, I encountered a mutant who had the capacity to shield himself from my telepathy, preventing me from reading his thoughts or even sensing him. However, this was not part of his natural mutant powers. It was a helmet, a piece of armour. I must confess, I never discovered the principles behind it, but while it was on his head he was absolutely immune."

The Professor looked thoughtful for a moment. "It does occur to me that Xorn wears a mask as well... perhaps he has rediscovered, or even stolen, whatever strange technique the original used. That might explain why he cannot be detected by telepathy."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Frog

"Well, while we're throwing every possibility out there, what if Xorn just doesn't have a mind to read?"

Donna startles for a moment, realizing that was audible rather than just a thought. Struggling to not look like some kind of idiot or conspiracy theorist, she races for explanations and begins talking about as fast as her mind makes up the words. "W-well, I mean, considering our 'evolutions,' we can't really discount the really out-there stuff, right? Like someone evolving a brain that thinks differently from others. Or maybe they're a robot, like the ones in the Danger Room simulations? I don't really know telepathy but from what I've seen with Jean, she can't really send to or receive stuff from machines. A-anyway, that's just me speculating. It's probably neither of those, in all likelihood..."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


"Don't sell yourself short, Donna, that's a very interesting thought. I know of mutants who are resistant to psychic probing, our own Forge has a mind that's very difficult to read. Absolute invisibility would be something new – but not outside the realm of possibility."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

He looked over at Donna and grinned. That was such a weird idea! Not, like, in a bad way but it was pretty interesting seeing how her brain worked.

"Well, Professor, you know my idea. You find us someone in trouble, we make trouble disappear. We are like A-Team. X-Team?" he said. "Is too late to change group name?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Jean Grey
PP: 2 | XP: 2 | Mental Stress: 1d6

"It could be a side effect of some other power. If his brain works differently..." Jean shrugs slightly. "I was able to touch his mind when I was close enough, so he's not exactly shielded. I couldn't read it, but I might have better luck trying to find him. But we don't necessarily need to. I think wherever the Brotherhood is, he'll be there. I don't think he trusts the others enough to do anything without him." She folds her arms, shaking her head. "I wish I had thought to read their minds, but there wasn't much time... and I know I"m not supposed to. Still. If we can find one, I could..."

She trails off, falling quiet as she considers, her gaze drifting away.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


"That's... that's odd," said the Professor. "If you were able to sense his mind, then Cerebro's enhancements should have allowed me to do the same. Even a mind highly resistant to psychic probing can be sensed. Unless it is Cerebro, specifically, that he is shielded from... which is a concerning thought."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

"So- someone you have worked with in past? Someone that knows how machine works?"

Pete looked at the Professor in that way that suggested that maybe, just maybe, he thought the older man was being dumb-as-hell.

"So- it is maybe someone that knows how your machine works, and you have someone that you think it could already be from working with them in the past to hide themselves from you, or they have access to machine's design- that is now a short list, yes?"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


"Only Forge knows how Cerebro works, and we did not begin work on it until five years ago, which rules out a large number of people I only met in passing during my youth. I suppose, perhaps David – Hijack – might have some insight, but he cannot exert his control over any machine that was built by his father." The Professor sighed and spread his hands. "I'm afraid that the list is more confusing than short at this point. We have precious few clues and mostly just hypothetical arguments for how he might be evading telepathy, if he even is evading telepathy. I'm honestly not entirely certain what Xorn's powers even are, let alone who he might be."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

"Well- Can you track another one of the Brotherhood, maybe? Like, we can find out where they've gone? If you knew their name."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


"Of course I intend to search, although it will not be easy. During the broadcast, Hijack's amplified powers were like a beacon, now it will be a case of sifting through every mutant on the planet to find the right ones. There are a lot more of us than people think," the Professor added. "But yes, I will be looking as often as I can manage. Iceberg, Mastermind, Hijack – finding one or any of these three will be my highest priority, I assure all of you."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

Pete raised an eyebrow. "Are there no filters? Only want female mutant, named Justine?" he asked. "Is it just big map showing dots of where people are?" he asked. "Does it track new appearances, so maybe we could see where four mutants disappeared and then where four more mutants appeared a moment later?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


The Professor gave a small, wistful laugh. "If only it could work that way. Cerebro requires a telepath to function as a key component. Much like a car requires a driver, in a way. The system merely enhances and guides my natural powers, it cannot emulate them without me. There is no computer or system that operates it, no way to run searches or observe everyone all at once. There's only my mind, when it's connected, and even then it takes some effort to search through the entire world's population."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«11 »