Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Wolverine
PP: 1 | XP: 0

Jane shook her head, "Not sure it'd take, Red. My head's a little busy for that stuff to really sink in."

She dutifully gave Rita her number, really not having a reason not to, and walked with the group into the mall. The MRD stand was most definitely unwelcome. Piotr could certainly see that her hackles were raised, at the least, though he was right. Probably. The idea of taking down a bunch of goose-stepping thugs did have a certain appeal and it wasn't like she had to use the claws. Call it... an intervention, from a concerned citizen. The thought brought a smile to her face, but she put it away. For now. Time and a place for everything, plus it wasn't like her time in a street gang had led her towards picking fights with the law. That usually was a losing proposition.

She clapped the russki on his shoulder and answered in an equally quiet voice, "I won't start one, but if push comes to shove..." A beat for emphasis. "Let's get some food."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
M

Marius engaged in the sacred ritual of passing out and receiving cellphone numbers, making sure that each was carefully labeled. He'd have to ask later if it's cool that he's used their 'working' names. He'd honestly spent more time referring to them that way. Was that hosed up? It felt a bit hosed up. That's why the mall was important. Being regular people was important. Even Col...Piotr's joke and Cy...Sarah's reaction were important to feeling out who they were outside of the uniforms and the responsibility of being All of Mutantkind. Just a nice day of looking at things, not buying them, and eating greasy food court chow mein. Of course, Man (Mutant) Plans and God Laughs. It's all so...shiny. Pert. Clean and appealing and focus tested.

"They work fast." It's all he could say, confronted with Market Appeal Facism. "We should definitely hit the food court. It's on the opposite side of the mall, I think."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Jean Grey
PP: 2 | XP: 2

"I wouldn't do it without asking, anyway...", Jean starts to Jane as she gets some new numbers off her phone, but trails off as she sees the stand. She stares for a moment, and then says, "I'll be just a moment."

With that, she walks right up to the stand, snapping up one of the flyers. Opening it, she takes a closer look at it, echoing the slogan, "'Keep America Pure'. You're already recruiting? I thought this was just announced..." She looks up over the flyer, hiding her troubled expression long enough to hide it.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog
PP: 1 XP: 2

Donna's quick to toss her number over to everyone in the group, in the hope they all reciprocate. Her response to the stand is to pretend it doesn't exist. The group had a goal, and getting side-tracked with this giant mess would only make things devolve into shouting and/or violence. Picking up the pace, she fastwalks as best as she can towards her destination, inadvertently leading the pack or, perhaps, escaping from it in her haste. Don't look at it, don't give it the time of day, don't even acknowledge it's there, Donna. If you don't look suspicious, they won't suspect you.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Oh, today was more of a formal announcement, cut through the red tape." replied the cheerfully-smiling recruiter, in full-on public relations mode. "This has been in the works for a while now, ever since the mutants declared war."

"We say when Xorn declared war," one of the others prompted, sotto voce, without turning around or breaking her smile.

"Right, right, sorry. Anyway, we've got a good number of law enforcement officers out of ICE and SWAT making up our numbers right now, plus some veterans who've undergone retraining. But the mutant epidemic is going to take a lot of good people to keep it under control until a cure can be found. Were you interested in signing up? You have to be 18, but you get your college tuition paid in full, and other great benefits."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Piotr

'What the gently caress did I just say?' thinks Piotr, as Jean makes her way over to the recruiting table. He's not angry, certainly, and she's free to make her own decisions. If he's absolutely honest with himself, he loves that she's gone over there and put this forwards. He loves that she's made the first move and that she's got a plan. He takes a step forward to put himself between Rita and the recruiters, his hands at his side and his right clenched into a boxing glove sized fist. He chewed on his teeth, the sides of his face bulging slightly with the motion.

"Hey, Rita?" he said. "You wanna go with Donna, see if you can get some ice cream? I want some mint, in one of those little cardboard cups they have... You okay with that Don?" he asked.

For all the force of personality that Jean could present - he'd never seen her powers in full bloom, but he had a feeling that with a single thought she could become their deepest fear or most trusted friend - it never hurt to have a three-inches-shy-of-seven-feet fuckin' tank of a man standing behind her. He just watched for the moment.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Cyclops
PP:1 XP: 2

Sarah handed over the number to her battered pre-paid phone and carefully recorded the numbers of everyone else, it was a good idea to keep in communication with everyone, still she hoped this wouldn't result in an endless pile of text messages or pointless phonecalls. As the team entered the mall proper she continued to glare at Pete until everyone stopped. "What are you stoppping for-" she started to ask before looking up and transferring her death glare from Pete to the MRD stand in front of them. Unconsciously she clenched and unclenched her fists, this wasn't the time or the place to start a fight with the law best just to walk past and pretend the whole thing wasn't....

Damnit Jean. How could someone that smart be dumb enough to walk right up to them like that. I mean it's not like they were wearing matching t-shirts saying "Mutants are us" but still best not to draw attention to ourselves. No she needed to get Jean out of there before anything went down. Moving up she caught the tail end of the staff flunkies little sales pitch intending to extract Jean with the minimum of fuss... but she couldn't help but wonder what the official response would be if she asked the obvious question. "And what if the mutants don't want to be cured?" she posed to the recruiter. "What if they're happy the way they are?"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Happy or not, this isn't about them, it's about what's best for everyone. Good, honest, tax-paying, God-fearing people who don't want this doomsday threat hanging over them." The recruiter drew back, folded his arms, his cheery smile gone. "Look, if you wanna be a bunch of bleeding hearts about this, then go do it somewhere else. Wave a sign, go on a march, I don't really care. There's plenty of patriots out there who want to do the right thing and serve their country, and we don't need you holding up the line."

He glanced at Piotr and immediately looked away. "Plus I'll call security if you so much as push over a standee, got it?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

Pete saw the glance and folded his arms. He lowered his voice to Marius.

"What is Bleeding Heart?" he asked.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
M

"It's...someone who is too soft hearted. Too emotional. So they bleed for everyone and everything." Marius whispers back. "It is an insult made by people who see empathy as weakness."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Finding herself suddenly alone with Rita and Donna as they marched towards the food court, Jane looked around for the rest of the group... and noticed the growing bundle of mutants by the MRD stand. Classic kid poo poo. Didn't they know that the best way to deal with cops — or cop-adjacent organizations — was to literally never talk to them? She sighed. Pete seemed level-headed enough, maybe he could stop Sarah from causing an international incident. Wasn't like she'd make anything better if she got involved, all her skills were pretty well focused on slicing and dicing. And if she got angry... Ugh. Forget about any mall trips in the future.

She said, "You heard Pete, Rita. You've got a job to do. Focus on that. And Donna..." Jane looked at the frog mutant. "Thanks for knowin' the score. That scene was nothin' but trouble."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

"Empathy as a weakness?"

Pete didn't like that at all as an idea. He frowned deeply. He knew empathy wasn't a weakness. He knew that, in fact, it was one of the greatest strengths you could hope to have; he was, after all, probably the most physically powerful being on the planet. He knew better than most that the ability to understand things from the perspective of others was a real strength, and something that a great many people lacked. The true nature of discrimination was formulating opinions of individuals, not based on individual merits, but rather of their membership in a group with assumed characteristics. He'd seen this road, and knew where it ended out. His fist clenched again before relaxing it once more.

"gently caress that."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Jean Grey

"I'll think about it.", Jean says with a crooked smile as she lowers the pamphlet. "Number's on the pamphlet, right?" She waves it, and then turns around, and there's a look of disgust on her face as soon as she turns away, starting to walk away towards the food court with a false leisure. She looks over to others, saying, "C'mon, let's catch up.", as she tucks the pamphlet into a back pocket.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

Piotr looked at Jean as she walked towards them before turning on his heel and starting to walk away with her. "You gave us a scare there, Jean," he said quietly. He walked with her, glancing over his shoulder briefly to make sure Sarah and Marius were following.

"You think one of us should sign up? See if we can infiltrate, maybe?"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Cyclops

Sarah reluctantly shook her head and walked away starting a fight here and now wasn't worth it. Sure it'd be satisfying to smash their smug fascist faces in but what would it accomplish apart from giving them more reasons to hate and fear mutants. Not to mention getting the entire team arrested for beating up cops would hardly make the professor happy now would it and he had enough on his plate worrying about Xorn without the x-men making more trouble. No best just to walk away and pretend the goon squad wasn't there. As she did she overheard Pete's suggestion "Oh great when I suggest we infiltrate an enemy group it's a terrible idea, when someone else comes up with the same idea let's do it straight away. " she piped in sarcastically "who gets to be the lucky volunteer to be dissected by the MPD goons when they figure out what's going on."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
M
"In all fairness, Sarah, they probably don't have unknown spooky mind powers."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

"When you suggest in front of Professor, it means Professor knows, which means it is not to be done. Nothing is to be done. Sit on your hands until world burns down and then put fingers together in front of yourself and hope someone assumes you are thinking deep thoughts," grunted Pete. "Now that we're here, just us X-Men, I think it's maybe worth talking about again."

The lack of momentum from the Professor was killing Pete. He needed to do something, even if it was really bad idea.

"I'd be willing- what is worst they can do to me? Shoot me? Bullets are like raindrops. Jean, though, would learn more and faster..."

Sedition in the ranks...?

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Frog gives a deep sigh of relief as she just kind of unloads onto Jane. "I know, right? I get that there's probably a lot of things we'd like to say, but as Civics class taught us, just like a courtroom, evidence is everything when you're trying to make a case. We don't exactly have anything besides rhetoric to work with right now, and even if we did you generally don't go to a recruitment center or a rally to try to change people's opinions. Y'know, basic mob mentality/group identity stuff. Anyway, I for one am in favor of not agitating a hornet's nest full of well-intentioned though also misinformed innocents and instead getting a calzone."

Looking back over and noticing the group is still split up, she sighs again and continues onward. Whatever harebrained scheme they're discussing, she'd rather not be made aware of it until after it's blown up in their face. She really doesn't want to be a part of whatever secret operation they may be planning behind the Prof's back.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Jean Grey

"Do I look like that kind of joiner?", Jean says, giving Pete the side-eye. "I just thought it was good to find out a little more. I'd have read their minds, but I'm pretty sure mall kiosk agents don't get all the secret codes." A slight huff. "Also, I guess it's unethical.", she says with a slight shrug. "Anyway, I don't know, Pete. We could just be playing into their hands with that kind of idea. Just because they think they're at war with us doesn't mean we need to play along."

Squinting at Sarah, Jean adds, "Nobody is saying- what's your problem?"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"I th-thought I was gonna have a panic attack or something..." said Rita in a small voice, one hand against her chest. "Can we please just go and get food?"

The food court had a large fountain in the middle, or at least a large pool of water that had some sort of fountain-like traits to it. It wasn't that impressive, but Rita insisted on sitting next to it and dangling her fingers in the water to calm herself down.

"The Professor says that my body gets unbalanced if I breathe only one thing for too long," she said in hushed tones as she fed herself another spoonful of ice cream. She'd opted to forgo any sort of main meal and head straight for dessert, the ideal comfort food for anyone under the circumstances. Talking also helped, but that was uniquely a Rita thing. "I know I used to get some really bad headaches when I was trying to, y'know, be normal around people. But now I can just jump in the pool whenever I'm feeling lousy."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

Pete grinned down at Jean. "Oh, you look terrifying sometimes. I have seen you before coffee," he teased, walking with the group. "I think that ethical considerations maybe- maybe do not come into play so much when the other side of the discussion begins from a place that says 'you do not deserve to exist.' That is- how do you say-" a pause as he worked on a metaphor. "Hardball?"

He then heard Jean say that to Sarah and paused for a beat, taking a half step so as to not be standing between them quite so much.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Midway through her platter of poutine, Jane stopped and pointed a gravy-soaked fry at the water-breathing mutant. Thoughtfully, she asked, "So how long can you go either way before the headaches start? A few days? A week or two?" She chuckled, a little self-deprecatingly, and tapped her knuckles with her free hand. "Must be nice to swim, though, I sink like a stone."

With that, she popped the fry in her mouth. Her ears were trained on the potential Jean/Sarah argument that was about to erupt. The simmering of pheromones in the air was like a cocktail, intoxicating her senses. The urge was present to knock them down, prove her dominance, and take her rightful place as the pack alpha. Not strong enough to overwhelm her reason, no, but a niggling itch in the back of her mind that refused to be scratched. Instead, she did her best to eat the delightful cheese curd and gravy-laden stack of fries.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"When my powers first kicked in, I could go about a month without needing to breathe water, but now it's more like a couple of days at most. Plus I get super grouchy," she added, and it was very hard to imagine the young girl having a temper problem. "For a while I was really worried I'd stop being able to breathe air at all, but the Professor says that it's just my abilities growing and it'll balance out eventually. I'm already a way faster swimmer than I used to be! I can go from one end of the pool to the other in twenty seconds now, Ms. Wagner timed me and everything."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Partway through her calzone, Donna finds a time to impart her two cents into the conversation. "That's really great! I noticed I'm a bit more streamlined in swimming now, but I can't even get remotely close to that time unless I cheat and kick off of the sides. Oh! But besides speed, have you ever considered seeing if you can dive deeper than the average person? I mean, considering you can breathe in water that relieves some of the pressure problems at least."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"The pool doesn't go that deep, and..." Rita paused, cheeks going red with embarrassment. "I'm afraid of sharks and stuff. Like... what if I go in the ocean and get chased by something scary? I can't swim that fast, and I don't have cool powers to defend myself with, like you guys do."

Slowly, the hairs on the back of Wolverine's neck were starting to stand up, as her instincts told her that something was wrong. Nothing that could be put into words, except possibly the feeling of being watched. Or maybe it was a familiar smell, tied to a memory she didn't have. Something was up, at least.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Jean Grey

Shaking her head in frustration slightly, Jean starts to relax as she comes up on the food court and the others. Maybe she could leave that whole mess behind. A short wait and one tuna sub later, she looks over to Colossus as she sits down. "It's not that I never would, but I'd have to be able to do some good with it, and there... I think I'd just see a bunch of dirty laundry. No thanks." Sitting down, she looks over to the three. "Didn't miss out on much. I just thought it would be a good idea to keep an eye on that kind of thing. Pretty ugly, if they're trying to recruit people our age... I mean, we probably wouldn't be too hard on them, but the Brotherhood..."

She takes a bite, looking away. "Sorry, I guess we got out to slip away from all of that noise."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
M

Marius has his chow mein. For a small moment, he is satisfied. Like many moments of joy in his life it is quickly subsumed by a numb leveling of his emotions. Unlike many of these moments, it's because of specific concrete problems. Marius is thinking about Jean and ethics and reading minds and how very important it is not to let on that he can also do that because.... because then they'll expect even more from you. To be even better when you can barely even keep up as it is but they never understand because you make it look so easy and you can't stop making it look so easy even when it takes everything out of you and suddenly Marius is starting to hyperventilate and is deadly afraid someone noticed but he manages to catch himself before anyone does. Take a breath. Let it out. Repeat. Address the topic at hand.

"I don't think we have the luxury of slipping away anymore." He taps a plastic fork on a plastic tray. "Knowing that this....thing is going on around us, learning how to deal with it, that's important. Until we can fix it, we have to live in it and around it." Marius points the utensil at Piotr and Jean, waving from one to the other. "Another thing, doing that sort of thing is exceptionally unethical. And I don't say that lightly. Once we decide that it's okay to just barge into people's minds, how much of a stretch is it to decide to rearrange things while you're in there? It's.....it's not something we should be talking about lightly."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"Well, we could always have someone follow you down in one of those diving suits. Someone who can use their powers while covered head to toe. Then again, that'd involve renting out a boat, a diving suit, an oxygen supply, the cables to connect it up...Oh wait, duh! There's those shark-resistant cages! We could just lower you down on one and pull it back up if you feel like it's too deep or if you see something dangerous!" Frog's enthusiasm for letting Rita explore the (pun unintended) depths of her powers was keeping her smiling, at least until everything comes crashing back down to reality in the form of the topic she was trying to avoid. She aggressively starts finishing her calzone to try to focus more on the flavor, but once she runs out of calzone, it seems inevitable that she has to comment. Didn't help that it wasn't as good as the ones her mom would make.

"I for one support not casting the first stone, or casting any stones at all if possible. We're supposed to be professionals and philanthropists, and I at least think we shouldn't take a side. I like to think of our group as something like Medici senza frontiere," she says, slipping into an Italian inflection for a brief moment. "We help anyone in trouble, regardless of who they are or what they think." She looks back and forth and realizes she's probably talking crazy. "...but that's just what I think..."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Despite the delicious poutine, Jane is increasingly feeling like someone is watching the group. Or, perhaps, her specifically. The strangest sense of deja vu. Something so distinctive that it's impossible that she could have forgotten it, yet it rings no bells. She glances at the rest of the group, Rita in particular, and stands up. She says, "I'll be right back. Restrooms are over here, right?"

Not waiting particularly to hear an answer or, for that matter, interested in actually using the restroom, Jane stalks off into the crowds. As she enters the tide of people in the mall, her demeanor shifts noticeably. No longer is she on her best behavior, an almost respectable student of the Xavier Institute. No, she's tapping into the knowledge of her time before all that. She's looking for trouble and, more than that, she's on the hunt.

Aiming to hit the 1xp trigger for "Now It's My Turn."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Rita nodded along with what Donna was saying, but still seemed nervous about it. Trying to convince a four-foot-nothing twelve-year-old to go diving with sharks might be a bit of a losing battle. She did chime in with her own opinion on the other topic at hand, however, stammering slightly as she tried to overcome her nervousness at sitting with at the "big kid's" table.

"Th-The Professor said, in class the other d-day, that... in the ideal mutant society, our gifts should be used for the greater good, and by relying on e-each other, we can... hold on, I wrote it down and... I left my notes back in my room." She winced, and massaged the side of her head with her hand, still dripping with water from the fountain. "A-Anyway, it was something about helping others and being nice, and I think that's a good thing to do. But, um, I think sometimes you've got to protect others too. I would... if I could."

During this speech, Wolverine detached herself from the group, and was moving cautiously through the maze of tables and dividers that made up the mall's food court. Testing the air as she brushed past groups of people dining, and others on their way to seat themselves. Most were content to disregard her after a moment's notice, just to make sure they weren't about to have their drink jostled from their hand. A few lingered their gazes longer, mostly young teens showing interest in someone their age.

But there was one pair of eyes that didn't look away. Cold, blue eyes under thick, high-arched eyebrows. Salt-and-pepper hair that had to have been raven black once. An aquiline nose, a strong jawline visible even beneath a thick beard. This stranger, so maddeningly familiar in ways she couldn't place, was looking right at her, and knew she was looking right back. Dressed in muted colours, a single coffee in front of him at an otherwise empty table surrounded by other empty tables.

Have yourself that 1XP, Wolverine.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 1 | XP: 1

Jane stalked towards the stranger purposefully. The rest of the mall almost faded from her perception as her senses honed in on this... Threat? Prey? She wasn't sure. She was sure that she was about to find out. One way or another. She slid into the seat across from the man, looking to the rest of the world as though she was simply joining her... father, perhaps, for lunch. A very tense lunch. The words slipped forth, an aggressive growl, "Who are you?"

Tricky fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 5, 2018

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The man gave a small, sharp exhale of what might have been amusement, his lips quirking beneath the beard into a thin smile. "Nice to see you again, too. You're looking quite well, considering what happened. Then again, that is you."

He took a slow sip of his coffee, never once breaking eye contact. "So who are you with these days? Is it the project again? Please don't tell me it's the factory. Because I know it's not us, which puts me in an awkward position."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Project? Factory? None of that meant anything to her. Still... It seemed clear that this guy, whoever he was, knew her. He didn't look like gang material, either, which meant... Well, the better question to be asking him was probably 'Who am I?' Of course, one lesson she learned quick on the streets was to never show weakness. Never look like you're not in complete control. If he didn't know that she didn't know anything about what he was talking about, then she wasn't about to illuminate him. Instead, she said, "...The Institute."

She made a point to memorize his scent. If he'd found her once, he'd be able to find her again. Better to smell him coming than be caught off-guard twice.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 5, 2018

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Mm," said the stranger, taking another sip of his coffee. "I've been taking a keen interest in the Institute. As I would with any new player in the game. Tell me, this little excursion of yours... are you maintaining cover, or are the wholesome young folk you arrived with fellow weapons?"

His scent was somehow oddly familiar, not tied to a memory, but a feeling. Not a pleasant feeling, but nothing fight-or-flight. He kept up a conversational tone, but judging by his body language he was well aware of what Wolverine was capable of, and... there was a certain amount of fear there. He wasn't terrified by a long shot, but he was currently afraid of something.

Back at the table with the others, Rita was having a bit of difficulty. She hadn't let go of her head since earlier, and was breathing erratically.

"I g-gotta get to the restroom, I need to b-breathe some w-water," she mumbled through gritted teeth. "Can someone h-help me get there?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

Pete frowned a little, looking between Frog, Jean and Sarah. "Can one of you go with her?" he asked. "Marius, you okay to-" he paused, looking around. "Wait, where the gently caress did Jane go?" he asked, glancing over his shoulder. "Did anyone see where Jane went?" he asked, grunting.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"She said she needed to go to the bathroom, I think. Speaking of which, I could go with you, Rita. I'd be the fastest to get back to here anyway if Jane isn't there." Donna taps her legs, noting that, while her hops are still outright off-limits, her stride would certainly benefit from the spring in her step. And then the doubt settles in as she enters a thoughtful pose. "Then again if she isn't there, me heading back to tell everyone would also be going from one person left on their own to two..."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Cyclops

"Sure" Sarah piped up. She'd been relatively quiet throughout the whole discussion. Her powers were useful for one thing and one thing only, hurting people. Now hopefully that would mean hurting people who deserved it but if it came down to it she was a fighter not a builder or a medic. Frog's idea would be great in an ideal world in the messy complicated world they lived in... well they'd see. To avoid saying something else she might regret she immediately volunteered herself.

"Come on let's get you some water then." she said attempting to smile reassuringly at the young mutant.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Jane shook her head, "Them? They don't know anything." That much, at least, was true. Maybe the Professor had a few inklings in that weirdo bald head of his, but the rest of the students — X-Men and the more Rita-y type alike — certainly didn't. "...Don't blow this."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Thank you so much," said Rita, leaning on Sarah and letting the older girl shepherd her in the right direction. "I think maybe the... the aircon dried me out too fast."

Back with Jane, the stranger let out another sharp snort of amusement. "If this Institute is some sort of factory front, you know I have to intervene. That's what we do. Hell, once upon a time you would have been right there with me. So much for loyalty. Did you end up in the laundry room?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

She laughed, though there was little humor in it, "Out in the cold, more like." Jane was starting to draw some conclusions about who this man was... and who he thought she was. Or used to be, she supposed. Not even a street gang heavy made it through life without seeing a movie or three. This was some Jason Bourne poo poo right here. Might as well keep him talking and see what else slipped out. "They're not a front for anything, let alone the Factory. It's... more of a charity case."