Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«26 »
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

A long and deliberate drink of his coffee, his eyes narrowing. "You should know that the game doesn't tolerate a free agent, or at least you would know... oh, my poor weapon, they must have left you in there for days. I'm surprised you still know how to walk, but you did always bounce back."

He set his coffee down and inclined his head over towards where the others were sitting, still keeping eye contact. He'd barely even blinked the entire conversation. "Let the little one know that her troubles will end with salt water. She'll never get anywhere with a damned swimming pool. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll just say—"

The entire world suddenly skipped like a record for Jane. Disjointed sounds. People flicking from one position to the next. It was like she'd blinked and time had gotten away from her. Thirty, forty seconds? Maybe even a whole minute. She was sitting alone at the table, with only the coffee cup left. It was one of those big ones from the chain stores, and on the side, where it had been hidden by his hand, was a name in sharpie ink: Roman.

And that hauntingly familiar scent still in her nostrils, leading off into the crowds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Wolverine
PP: 1 | XP: 1

Jane didn't really know what to make of that. Did she try and track him down...? No, he'd just use that... time stuff again. Whatever that was. No fight today, then. Still... she had a fair few clues towards who she really was. Weapon... that sounded important. Self-explanatory, maybe, but important. She grabbed the coffee cup as she stood up, dumping the remnants into a trash can on her way back towards the group. Maybe Jean or the Professor could do some of their mind-bullshit on the cup to figure out this Roman guy's deal. She really wasn't sure how that all worked, actually, but it seemed worth a shot.

Winding back towards the main group, she popped back up as suddenly as she had left. She says, "...We should go soon. There's some weird poo poo going on here." Looking back and forth between the assembled mutants, she added, "Where'd Ruby and the kid go?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Piotr

"To the bathroom?" he said, looking down at Jane. "Didn't you walk past 'em on the way back here?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"And we only just got here. Like, I didn't wanna see a fast food stuff. We have McDonalds in the Red Square now. If I wanted to see fast food, I'd not have gotten deported."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Cyclops
PP:1 XP: 2

"It's rough having a power you can't quite control isn't it." Sarah asked sympathetically as the two of them entered the bathroom. "without these" she said tapping the side of her glasses "I either wouldn't be able to see a thing because I had my eyes scrunched up or I'd be shooting holes in everything I look at. Either way it wouldn't be good." she added. After a moments thought "actually there's an idea maybe you can ask Forg-Mr Valentine if there's any sort of technical solution to your water breathing problem. Like some sort of reverse diving helmet filled with water or something maybe? " Sarah shrugged.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2018 around 00:34

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Rita ducked her head under the faucet in the sink and filled her mouth with water until her cheeks bulged with it, like a diver gulping a mouthful of air, then inhaled it. It was a slightly uncomfortable thing to watch, knowing that her lungs were filling with water, even if it was what she did. She spat it out afterwards, and repeated the process several times until she had stopped trembling.

"A diving helmet? I don't know, I already feel like a bit of a weirdo... everyone would just make fun of me even more." She splashed some water on her face and sighed. "Stupid... Xorn, talking about how mutants are the future, and you and me can't even control our stupid powers."

She gave Sarah a nervous smile. "Thanks for helping me out."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Cyclops

"Yeah it's kinda hard to feel like Homo-Superior when you're fumbling for your glasses on a morning with your eyes shut for fear of putting a hole in your ceiling, your wall, your roomate or all three at once." Sarah said dryly "Still you should really see if there's some sort of technological help you can get even if the reverse diving helmet is a bad idea. I'm sure they're half a dozen better ideas than I could come up with. Technology is not my strong point but there are people who can help you if you need it. Don't hesitate to ask." she gave the young mutant a half smile.

"Now we better go rejoin the others before they wander off without us." she said feeling slightly uncomfortable with the girls thanks.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2018 around 00:34

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Jane looked dryly at the Russian mutant, "I must have missed them." As to his refusal to heed her gentle and well-meaning message of caution, well, that stuck in her craw a bit. "Well, comrade, they have this thing in the West called Amazon. Fantastic service, better selection. Hell, I think we can get same-day delivery at the Professor's place."

She got a bit closer, lowering her voice, and added, "There's some spy movie poo poo going on around here, Pete, and I know you all can handle yourself in a fight. Not the case with Rita. So either you gotta swear that nothing's gonna scratch her or help me get this lot out of here."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

Pete knew that Jane wouldn't understand. She wasn't exactly a great 'sharer', and understanding that the point of visiting a mall wasn't just to buy stuff, at least to him. It was to feel normal for a bit. To feel like a person, just for a while. Go to a mall, do things that teenagers do, shop, chat, people watch. Then again, Jane's idea of people watching was probably finding out what leg they favoured so she knew which one to cut off first. Then she leant in and said that and Pete frowned deep.

"What're you talkin' about," he asked. He almost had to crouch to get close to eye level with her. Never realised how short Jane was until just now. "What've you noticed?" he asked. "What've you done?" The second question had less basis to it, sure, but- was it maybe just Jane being paranoid? She hadn't ever struck Pete as being the most mentally dependable person in the world. She had a glint in her eyes sometimes that was off putting...

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Rita came back with Sarah in tow, no spring in her step but definitely looking a lot better— and wetter, her hair still dripping a bit with water.

"Pete! We're back!" She bounded up to him, but stopped short as she saw he was right next to Jane, leaning down to her level. She looked from one to the other, then adopted a very blank facial expression. The sort of facial expression that seemed to say, I don't know what I've just seen, and I'm doing my best not to think too hard about it.

"I wanna pick up some magazines and, um, I also wanted to challenge you to DDR at the arcade," she said, not knowing where to look. "B-But if you want to play against Jane instead, that's... um... that's cool too."

Jane hadn't noticed it before, but there was something about Rita that was itching at the back of her mind. Something about the way she smelled. Besides damp, that is.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pete

"Sure," says Pete, stepping back from Jane, slowly. "Sure, let's go get some magazines," he said, looking down at Jane and just frowning a hole through her. He turned to face Rita and smiled. "I've never played DDR before. It's the dancing game, right?" he said, smiling down at Rita. Say what you want about him, but he's good at compartmentalising conversations. "I want to see Marius dance though. You guys down with that? We do that, an' then we head home..."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Jane made a muffled noise of such disgust that onlookers may well be forgiven for thinking that Colossus had just admitted to joining the MPD. Let him pretend like everything was fine. Wasn't going to be her explaining why they got into mall shenanigans to the Professor, that's for drat sure. Still... it might be nice if she could talk about this with someone. Someone who had a brain that wasn't made of some sort of organic steel.

She mentally ran through the other people she could try to convince that there was a secret government conspiracy that was... probably making mutant Jason Bournes? Or Jane Bournes, in her case. Ruby was more than a bit frazzled at the best of times, M seemed like one Jenga block away from a complete meltdown, and Frog was... She tried. That counted, but probably not for this. Rita was absolutely radiating some sort of weirdo oedipal jealousy and there was a strange tang of something else. Something familiar. Well, gently caress. That probably meant that she was some kind of sleeper agent sent to infiltrate the Institute and... do something. Aggressively breathe water at them. Who knows what kind of chess these assholes were playing.

There was only one real answer: Jean. Maybe it sounded crazy in words, hell, maybe it was crazy. But it was the kind of thing that she could root around for and see for herself. Jane studiously ignored Pete and Rita as she walked over to the psychic. Popping into a seat next to her, Jane said, "Can you do the-" She tapped her head for emphasis. "-thing? It'd save a bit of time trying to talk all this out."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Jean Grey
PP: 2 | XP: 2

"We're also obligated to use our powers to save lives.", Jean replies to Marius as she takes a moment away from her sandwich. "I'm well aware of the ethical issues, but if we're dealing with a group that's openly trying to persecute and harm people, I have to consider how best to use my abilities. I wouldn't use it casually any more than Sarah would, but you've read on the exceptional obligation-" She trails off as Jane enters, finishing her food and rising.

. o O (Just you and me?), she asks telepathically, gently just trying to keep things just above the surface of the mind with Jane, raising an eyebrow as she tosses her trash.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

If you ever need the Defenders drawn as ponies or the cast of Doctor Who, I know where to hook you up.

Please don't want those things.

M

Marius wants to continue debating with Jean, really drill down to the core of the issue. His issues? Whatever. But Jane derailed Jean. Jane derailed a lot of things. He hadn't meant to hear her whispering with Piotr about 'spy movie poo poo' but he also couldn't help having perfect hearing to go with everything else his mutation had given him. He could listen in, though. If he wanted to. If he wanted Jean to know he could, there was no way he could be in that link without Jean noticing him immediately. Marius was perfect but Jean was Power. Let them go and refocus. He cracked a smile at Colossus. "C'mon, Piotr, no need to be shy. We all know you're the best dancer at the school. But if you want to beat me thoroughly, I will take my loss gracefully." Marius performs a mock bow, grinning like an idiot. Banter, just goofing off. It was the reason they were here, after all. To be people, not just X-people.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Jane's brows furrowed with concentration as she focused in on her mental conversation with Jean.

. o O (If you don't mind, yeah. Things are... kind of crazy, really, and I don't want to freak everyone out. Pete already thinks I'm losing it, but... Let's see if I can get this to work...?)

Jane thought very hard about the weird conversation she had just had with the man who may well be named Roman, trying to bridge it over their mental connection.

. o O (Did you get that? It's just... Forget what that maybe means for me, but I think that this could get real ugly if this Factory, whoever they are, decides that the Professor's whole Institute project is stepping on their toes. Especially with that weird time thing he did at the end. Could grab one of us before we even knew what was happening.)

She paused, awkwardly rubbing the back of her head, and added one last thought.

. o O (And... can you do the psychic thing with object memories or whatever the hell? Psycho-something? I can never make heads or tails of what you and the Professor can do, probably should have paid more attention that day in class, but... I have the guy's coffee cup if that'd help.)

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Being inside one of Wolverine's memories was oddly intense for Jean, full of details that normal humans would not perceive, like the complex swirl of scents and smells that took on an almost tangible form. Usually the world within memory was hazy at the edges, indistinct, losing detail the further from the eyes you got. But Wolverine's senses were razor sharp, filled in the gaps clearly. Maybe that was why, even with her past a mystery to her, certain connections still lingered, waiting to be discovered.

Jean watched the conversation play out all the way to the end, the information still fresh and vibrant in Jane's mind.

"Let the little one know that her troubles will end with salt water. She'll never get anywhere with a damned swimming pool," said the stranger, the mysterious Roman. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'll just say—"

There was no weird time thing. Just two words.

"—vanadium reverie."

Everything faded with the sound of Roman's voice. All those sharp, clear senses seemed to just switch off, the whole world going into a blur like a memory formed while half-asleep. A memory that Wolverine's conscious mind could not remember, but was still there in her subconscious thoughts. Visible only to Jean via her telepathic powers.

Without any hesitation, he got up out of his seat and walked away at a casual pace, leaving Wolverine to stare vacantly into space until suddenly everything snapped back, her conscious mind returning.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

Pete looked down at Marius and raised an eyebrow. He seemed almost to be inspecting him, wondering just how 'perfect' perfect actually way. He seemed to frown deeper for a quarter second, before realising that this was Marius being friendly and jovial. Honestly, Pete dancing was either going to end in a broken arcade machine or something out of Magic Mike.

"I am not usually dancer," he said quietly, seeing the rather deflated look on Rita's face. "But today, if it means to compete against the great Marius? I think I can dance..."

He smiled and looked down towards a lil chain convenience store - a CVS or something. That looked like the sort of place that you could get magazines. "Alright. Let's go," he said, starting to walk. He nudged down at Rita. "You feeling better?"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Cyclops

"Boys, no need to be modest. Besides when it comes down to it. I'm a better dancer than either of you." Sarah said just to see their reaction. She then turned to where Jean and Jane were staring at each other with an odd look on their faces. "Are you two lovebirds gonna stop staring at each other and come with or do we need to leave the two of you alone for five minutes?" Not that she was jealous or anything... I mean it was good that the team were starting to bond and see each other as more than just fellow students. But man talk about opposites attracting they were both about as different as it was possible to get.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Jane didn't turn, her eyes still locked on Jean's as she said, "Keep your pants on, Ruby, we'll be there in a few." A beat. "But if you don't mind...?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Jean Grey
PP: 2 | XP: 2

Jean squinted silently, spacing out for a moment as she looked past Jane, as if looking onward towards the direction she'd come from instead.

. o O (Forget it? Yeah, right. But no, I'm not postcognitive.) There's a mental silence before she continues. (I don't think that this Roman did anything with time, I think... I think it was a post-hypnotic command. You just spaced out, but... it's still in your subconscious. But that doesn't necessarily make us safer.)

Coming to, she blinked, looking up slightly. "It's not like that, Sarah.", she says as she rolls her eyes. "Jane's right, we were being stalked... by somebody that knew more than a little about us. I saw it in her memory." She stands up. "They probably saw all they wanted, but it sure puts a damper on the mood.", she stays, looking around at the crowd of the food court with a concerned expression.

Going to take 1 XP for keeping somebody at arm's length.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

OOC: Didn't know we had to call out XP and Milestone stuff, whoopsie! I'll probably need to do that at some point then unless there's some to be added retroactively.

Frog
PP: 1 XP: 2

Donna, as always, tries to put a positive spin on things before folks can dwell on it for overly long. "Well, no sense getting worked up over it yet, right? Just something to keep in mind for later. For now, though, I figure, I've got some spare change and multiple people around, I can take a crack at actually beating Turtles in Time. Back when I was still living with my folks, since there were four turtles and four of us, we'd split our allowance of five dollars four ways and see how far we could get. We'd always run out of either lives or time by the hoverboard level, though."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Before the connection completely faded, Jane added one last clarifying comment.

. o O (I meant it like 'leaving that aside for now', but... well, whatever. Guess it's probably better than fighting someone with time bullshit on their side. Maybe the Professor can do something about that business. I'll ask him about it when we get back.)

Jane got up too, nonplussed by Jean's sudden case of stand-offishness, and rubbed the back of her neck. She said, "So, uh, who's gonna go after them and tell Pete and Rita? I don't think he's exactly willing to listen to me."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

"I'll... manage," Rita confided in Piotr, with a sheepish look. "At least long enough until we get back to the school."

There were huge racks of magazines right near the door of the small store, and Rita was getting more and more talkative the closer they got. "I know it's kind of a nerdy thing, but I really want to get the new issue of Chess USA, because they've got this exclusive interview with— oof!"

Not paying too much attention to where she was going, she'd collided with someone just leaving the store. One of the tallest women that Piotr had ever seen, close to him in terms of height and, in all honesty, just as well-built. From underneath shaggy, untamed hair glared sharp grey eyes, and the look on the woman's face was like she'd just stepped in something unpleasant. Rita went pale and backed away, stammering out a quiet apology.

"Watch it, runt," the woman growled, and shouldered her way past the lot of them, or at least those who didn't move away in time. She stalked off into the crowd, muttering under her breath. Not quite loud enough for anyone to hear... except for Marius and his perfect senses.

"No sign here, moving on. Sweep the north side again and keep eyes on the parking lot. This is not going to be like Omaha all over again." Then a smaller, indistinct voice in reply. Tinny, crackling. Like from a radio earpiece.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at Jan 10, 2018 around 03:53

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

If you ever need the Defenders drawn as ponies or the cast of Doctor Who, I know where to hook you up.

M

Marius reflexively moves out of the way gracefully as the woman barges past. His face has gone passive as he focuses his hearing on her muttering, careful not react in any way. In many ways, Marius' mutant power was control. Perfect control of his body, his muscles and nerves and senses. "Hey, Pete." Purposeful. That was the key. Marius had never called Colossus anything but Piotr, with a pretty passable diplomat's accent. He had an embassy education in many things, including languages, before coming to the institute.

"Jane was right. And I don't think this is going to be pretty, yeah? We should postpone that game, play another time." Vague, but Colossus was far from dumb. With any luck he'd pick up on M's meaning and go along. M was thinking in terms of their X names now. This had become a mission. Marius would have worked himself into a panic attack by now. M didn't panic. M did the work.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

Pete looked down at Donna as she recounted her arcade story. That was sweet and, for the first time since coming out to the mall, Pete actually put on a genuine smile. That's what he liked about Donna; even with everything getting as weird as it was, there was always something so relatable about what she was saying. She was, for someone that could probably jump from one end of the mansion to the other in two strides, surprisingly grounded. He walked with Rita and listened, nodding. "Well, we'll get you back to the mansion and you can spe-" he said, stopped as soon as she bonked into the tall woman.

"Sorry," he said, before she attempted to shoulder barge him out of her way. There was an awkward moment when Pete didn't move as she pushed into him. He... didn't take to being pushed around very well. Whatever. His mood was rapidly getting ruined between Jane being crazy, the fash being in town and Rita having a panic attack. This had been a lovely day out. He walked over to one of the magazine rack's with Rita. "I am not going to judge. My sister, she was chess prodigy. What I am in strength, she was in brain. So clever," he said with that same, fake smile. "You like chess? You know Illyanna Rasputin?"

He watched Rita head over to the long shelf full of magazines and followed slowly. Then he heard Marius talk and... Well, Marius probably had a real good look at someone that was about to shoot the messenger. "Jane is a crazy person that needs her brain unscrambled. She calls me comrade, like it is the eighties. She sees spies and has fantasy that someone is out to get her. She is paranoid and paranoia spreads."

Pete might not have been stupid, but he was stubborn.

He took a breath, counted backwards from three, and nodded. "Alright. Rita, Marius's lunch is having a disagreement with him and we're gonna head back to the mansion. I'll play games with you there, okay?"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

M

"Too much grease, sorry." M pulls a face and holds his stomach in pantomime. In truth, his stomach was a bit out of sorts. Cyclops might have concussive blasts coming out of her eyes, but Colossus had a stare only shades less destructive. He fights his first instincts and gets closer to the Russian. Just some guys being dudes, yeah. No need to listen in on two guys angry at each other having a sotto voce disagreement. "That woman has a radio earpiece. Not bluetooth like a hands free cellphone, radio. I can hear the crackle. She's talking about sweeping the mall and staking out the parking lot. Jane may be paranoid and crazy but even if it's a coincidence she's right and it sucks and I'm sorry. But I know you know what the best move is so I'm following your lead on this."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

Pete sighed. He wasn't sure who he was more annoyed for; himself not getting to have a normal moment, or Rita who was having it proved to her that her life had basically been derailed at her young age. He pulled out his phone and sent a group text, excluding Rita.

'Head for leaving.'

Piotr's written English wasn't great.

He pressed send before looking at Marius. "That woman. She is like tall version of Jane," he said, quietly. "Tall enough for me to think she is like us? You think she will be okay with MPD being here or do we need to preemptively stop a hatecrime?"

Interesting that it's not the other way around...

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

M

"She's not alone..." M considered the situation carefully. "And they're organized. Like a military unit or government organization, not the Brotherhood. I don't think the MPD is here in force, either. Recruitment stands but no actual agents we saw. I don't think it'd break down like that, unless something goes really badly." His consideration finished, M had come to a decision. "I could follow her while you got Rita out. Said I had to use the bathroom and go ahead of me. In case things do go really badly. I'm the least conspicuous of us, and you and Frog can keep Rita safe." M doesn't want to wait for Colossus to respond, M wants to tag behind that woman and take a peek inside her gray matter. But M is on a team and when you're on a team you need to work as a team and get consensus.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

He was being asked permission for someone to do something? What, was he a leader all of a sudden?

"Do it. Be careful, though, because my priority is getting Rita out of here."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

M

"No worries. I'm perfect, remember?" M gives a very un-Marius half smile before peeling away from the group. He casts his eyes across the crowd. Even without his superhuman senses it shouldn't be too hard to lay eyes on a woman who was nearly the size of Colossus.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Size or not, the woman was surprisingly fast and agile, even when simply walking through a crowd. Perhaps she had some sort of special training or instinct that let her slip through, or maybe it was because she was large and slightly terrifying and no shopper from the suburbs wanted to deal with that head-on. But M was able to not just keep pace, but catch up enough to be able to listen in over the noise of the mall. Just barely.

"Double back and check again, we tighten this net until we catch..." she trailed off, and stopped dead. Lifted her head up and sniffed the air, her lips parting into a wide smile. "All teams, target has backup... and you won't believe who it is. Heading to engage."

She turned on her heel and headed off in the direction of the food court at a fast pace.

Back with Colossus, Rita was looking worried, still rubbing her arm from where she'd been bumped into. She hadn't overheard the quiet conversation between Piotr and Marius, but it wasn't hard for her to pick up on things.

"Is this a..." she glanced around and lowered her voice, "a thing? Like a secret mission thing? Am I in the way? Should I go hide?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Jane lifted her nose and sniffed the air. Even through the haze of smells that filled the mall, there was something coming towards her... Something not good. Something very not good. She looked at the people still standing around, Jean and Ruby and Donna, and said, "We're about to have some company. Be ready." Sure, maybe she could give a little more detail than that. Like 'whoever it is smells like a bag of angry cats.' But, maybe it was the way Pete jumped straight towards paranoid delusions, she didn't feel like playing her hand much anymore. "Any ideas for a quick exit?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

Pete looked down at Rita and shook his head. "It's nothing," he said quietly. "Honestly, it's Marius's stomach. He's got, you know, perfect stomach biology. If you introduce something to upset that, it is like disaster area. He drank milk that is one day out before. Men's bathroom on ground floor was off limits for a few days," he said, burying Marius a little more. He paused and looked down at Rita and sighed.

He wasn't a great liar, doubly so when he didn't want to lie.

"Yeah. It's going to be a thing," he said. "I just- I don't want this to be everyday. I want you to be able to go to the mall and have everything be normal, like it should be," he said. "Sorry. Pick out your magazines, and I'll take you out to the parking lot. Call you a cab or something back to the mansion. Sound good?"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Rita gave Piotr a quick hug, which was mostly around his middle, and smiled up at him. "I like you best when you're honest, you know. I'll be as quick as I can."

She grabbed two magazines from the rack and went off to the register, this time watching where she was going. She finished paying and grabbed the flimsy plastic bag containing her purchases, heading straight back to where Piotr was — and this time having someone bump into her.

"S-Super sorry!" Rita blurted out, as the man stooped down and picked up her bag for her. He gave her a wink, and smiled from underneath his thick beard.

"Think nothing of it, little one."

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at Jan 10, 2018 around 19:27

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

Pete watched with Rita to the register and stood beside her as she paid for the magazines. He watched her step back with a smile on her face and then saw someone just walk right into her. He narrowed his eyes and stepped forwards. "Watch where you're going," he said, stepping forwards and moving to stand between him and Rita.

"You often wink at kids in the mall, old man?"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

"It was just a little accident, no harm done," said the man, drawing himself up to his full height. Not as tall as Piotr, but close. Today was apparently the day for encountering tall, black-haired strangers bumping into Rita. "I have family her age, I suppose being a grandfather becomes a bit of an instinct after so long. Are you her brother?"

"Pete, it's ok," said Rita quietly, holding the bag close to her.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Piotr

"I'm her adopted brother," he said quietly, cooly. He'd just about had it. He was gonna head home, play some call of duty, shoot some people, head to the gym, crank his metal as loud as people could tolerate and see if he could break his one hundred and fifty seven ton bench record. He was, to put it mildly, getting cranky.

"Alright. Let's go," he said, moving to walk with Rita.

He wanted to check inside her bag. He wanted to check she still had her phone and personal belongings. As soon as they were outside, that's what he was gonna do. He'd walked through Moscow's streets. He knew that people that picked your pocket bumped into you.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Frog

Darn, so much for Turtles in Time. Guess it's time for quick thinking. Donna, you've been to this mall several times already, from several entrances, considering men's clothing is on one side, furniture's on another, and then there was the 'we don't know what we're getting but we're going here' entrance, and the movies, and--no, we need to focus, Donna!

"Well...if you're talking about an exit that's less-traveled, most of the exits are through those automatic sliding doors. The only ones that wouldn't have those are from when the mall was first made, whiiiich I believe leaves the back of a JCPenny's men's shoe department, the hall with the food court's bathrooms, and I think they still have one in the back of the movie theater? Shoot, if I had the map in front of me I could tell you which is closer..." Hopefully Jane can put their ultra instincts or whatever to good work, because while Donna has the building blocks of a plan, she's got no clue how to go forward with this or which to go forward.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

Jane shot a grin at Donna, "Good hustle, D. I'm thinking the food court exit is our best bet. Get some distance from our friend, delay contact until we get to a quiet spot. Sound good, Jean?"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Cyclops

"What?" Sarah blurted out at the whole spy thing. Still at least the team had remembered at least some of the more... interesting training that Ms Wagner had given them. She might be a prim and proper teacher now but she clearly hadn't always been. Still the team had several good ideas about the exits but Sarah added one more to the list. "If it comes down to it I can cut us a way out through a wall but that would probably attract way too much attention." Still it was worth considering in an emergency. "We're going up against a group with unknown capabilities, vague numbers and unclear motives. Not to mention we're doing it in area chock full of civilians and we have a non-combatant on the field this is a lousy place to be if it comes to a fight." Sarah added businesslike. "I agree we should move towards the food court exit and keep your eyes peeled for anything out of the ordinary, but whatever you do don't shoot first the professor would kill us if we started something here. Now let's move out people before they get here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Something out of the ordinary that was easy to notice was a woman who looked like Wolverine writ large, pushing her way through the food court crowd like a shark going through a school of fish. She sniffed — no, snorted the air like a predator, a permanent manic grin on her face. People were scrambling to get out of her way, the start of a panic. It was easy to see her, towering over everyone else as she barged through, but she hadn't seen them — yet.

Marius was still following behind, and perhaps only undetected because of the sudden intense focus the wild-haired woman had on whatever she was tracking. But he wasn't the only one keeping pace with her. As she'd made her way to the food court, random strangers from the crowd had peeled off to follow in her wake. Men wearing hoodies and baseball caps, the kind of clothing that made it harder for cameras to spot your face. Most tellingly, each one with that same little radio crackle and subvocal muttering that M's perfect ears could faintly pick up.

"With the weapon, converging on food court. Still no sign of primary target."

«26 »