Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Jean Grey
PP: 2 | XP: 3

"Either way, we need to move.", Jean says to Jane and Sarah as she moves towards the food court entrance as she tenses. Hopefully, they can at least get out into the open, where- "I'll close the doors behind us." If they got out in the open, she could at least try and clasp down on the doors telekinetically. Not exactly subtle, but more subtle than knocking people around, hopefully. Colossus has Rita, and the rest of them could take care of themselves pretty well. She just needs to be ready to respond.

"And I was really looking forward to this, too...", she adds with a roll of her eyes as she quickens her pace slightly. "... any hope that they're just really sensitive mall cops?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Wolverine
PP: 1 | XP: 1

Moving along with the group, though in more of a predatory lope than a hustle, Jane shook her head, "Not unless the mall cops suddenly added some sort of...I don't know, ambulatory cat person to the staff. They smell..." Jane sniffs, then picks up the pace even further. "They smell like they've got a lot of friends."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


The commotion growing in the food court hadn't quite spread far enough through the mall for it to reach Piotr and Rita, but there was definitely tension in the air. Most of it emanating from Piotr, at least from Rita's perspective.

"I'm fine, really! People bump into me all the time," she said, trying to defuse the situation. "I'm small, it happens."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

Once they were outside the store, he crouched down and checked Rita over. Check her jacket. "You still got your phone on you?" he asked. "Anything new in your bag?" he asked. Honestly, he knew he was starting to look pretty paranoid here now that he knew that the spy stuff was real but- well, at least he knew it. "You sure you're alright?" he asked, before starting to walk with her to one of the exits into the parking lot.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


Rita took a step back and held up one hand, the other still holding her bag. "I'm fine, Pete, really. I've still got everything, it was just an accident. I was in a rush."

She opened up the bag for Piotr to see inside. "See? Two magazines, Chess USA, and... don't laugh, ok? I got the latest issue of Diver. I wanted to get over my ocean fears a bit, maybe in time for... my birthday."

There was nothing else obvious in the bag except for the receipt, and sure enough she still had her battered old phone, along with some loose change in her other pocket.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

Pete tilted his head to the side, almost like he was working out a crick in his neck. He cleared his throat, took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Alright," he said, quietly. "I am sorry. I get- I get defensive sometimes. I am not a fan of people bumping into people smaller than me," he said. So- he's not really a fan of people bumping into anyone, ever.

"We should head for the car." He was trying to present something a little closer to an attitude of calm. "Plus, I'd never laugh at something about your ability," he said. "You know, back home, I was going to be on cover of Jornl? It is like- fitness magazine. Then it turns out I am mutant, and they decide apparently I got free pass to looking like this, instead of working every day, nine hours a day," he said before pausing. Honestly, he was rather scared that he'd ruined the day out for Rita.

"You want piggy-back?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Frog

Still running effectively blind due to a lack of animal senses or, y'know, telepathy to read what's going on, Frog did have one advantage running from her: she could slip through a crowd pretty easily without bumping into someone with her lithe frame and quick reflexes. With this she tries to do what she can to keep this chain of good examples going, and get herself to the exit to secure it ahead of time. This kind of goes against her apprehension towards splitting up earlier, but now's a really good time to not drag her feet.

I feel like this can work to invoke the 1 XP line of "I'm no rookie!" Overcompensation, ho!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


Rita needed no other prompting, and was on Piotr's shoulders as fast as she could climb.

"Maybe one day there'll be a mutant magazine, and you can be on the cover of that," she said cheerfully. It was hard to be anything but cheerful when you were a 12-year-old girl suddenly almost seven feet off the ground. "Things have got to change for the better, right? Like... eventually."

She tilted her head to one side. "Wait, do you hear people yelling?"

In the food court, the commotion was growing as everyone was doing their best to get out of the way as fast as possible. The angry woman had backup now, in the form of several men in nondescript clothing, baseball caps and hunting jackets.

One of them had approached her and placed a hand on her arm, which had been shrugged off angrily. He was keeping his voice low, but she wasn't.

"They were both here, I can smell the pair of them," she snarled, and interrupted his unheard response. "Yeah? Well management wants both of them, so do your drat job and find them. Get to the exits, now."

You can have that 1xp, but you're getting into a sticky situation here. Marius is on the... let's call it the north side of the food court. You're all on the south side. Your unknown antagonists are roughly in the middle. Rita and Pete are outside the food court but close enough to the north side of it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

Pete cleared his throat. He nodded his head, turning his head slightly to glance over at the noise coming from the food court. "Alright," he said. "We're getting you outside and into the car," he said, walking towards one of the exits. Hopefully, he'd get there before the heavies did.

Getting Rita to safety is priority one at the moment.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Wolverine
PP: 1 | XP: 1

Jane spared a glance back at the food court and her eyes narrowed. It would be ideal if everyone could get to the exit before poo poo started going down, but... Well, worse came to worst, she was always better on her own.

Jane's main priority is to get Donna, Sarah, and Jean out rather than to pick a fight, right now anyways, but she'll hold back to buy them time if it doesn't look like they'll all make it out before the exits are sealed.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


The nondescript men in the food court fanned out and headed off to the exits, and somehow their callous disregard for anyone who wasn't "the target" just made them all the more threatening to the people still making their way out of the place. Phones were swatted out of hands, stamped on, for those foolish enough to stick around and try to record the scene. Mall security was taken down bloodlessly but ruthlessly, hands and ankles ziptied in moments. These men were professionals.

Not as much could be said for the woman, who was sniffing the air again, and following the trail straight towards Wolverine and the others. "Are you running, weapon? Are you a coward now? Are you finally going to let me end your miserable existence?"

People began to scream as the woman broke into a run, a charge, like some huge predatory cat chasing down prey. Bounding over tables and chairs, pushing people aside and heading straight for the four young mutants.

"I can smell you, runt!" The woman roared, and her eyes lit up when she finally saw Wolverine. A giddy, bloodthirsty delight, like a serial killer on Christmas morning. Half a dozen of the undercover operatives were catching up with her, hands reaching inside jackets and hoodies as they gained ground. "There's nowhere you can hide from me. Nowhere!"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

If you ever need the Defenders drawn as ponies or the cast of Doctor Who, I know where to hook you up.

Please don't want those things.


M
0 xp, 1 PP

M didn't need enhanced senses to pick up on the woman's excitement at the possibility of doing damage to Wolverine. Could he catch up to her before she made contact? If it wasn't for the crowd and her wingmen he could have probably intercepted but as it was he'd have to bust through two or three obviously trained professionals before he'd have a chance. Then he'd have to deal with what seemed to be a combination of Wolverine and a city bus. People would get hurt. Marius would go for it anyway. Marius wouldn't see any other option. M wasn't that limited.

Professor Xavier had only just begun discussing working with his mental powers before the Xorn issue took up all his time and focus. It had taken a backseat to his general mental health. The Professor could have no doubt stopped the madwoman with a thought, or simply wiped the team's presence from her mind. M had neither the finesse or frankly the power needed for such tricks. What he could do is reach out to her mind, connect, and wrench the dial off. Fill her mind with psychic static. It'd be pretty drat hard to kill anything with the king of all migraines bursting in your head.

Rolling Solo d8, Perfection is My Mutation d8, Telepathy d8, and Psych Master d10 to inflict a Psychic Static complication.
Complication Roll: 3#1d8 8 5 1 1d10 10
Making that a 18 with a d8 effect and one opportunity. Tagging Wolverine to go next.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Wolverine
PP: 1->0 | XP: 1

Even as the angry cat-like lady charged towards Jane, she noticed the slight hitch in her step as... something happened. Probably psychic bullshit, given that she didn't really notice anything that would have caused it, which meant... Jean? She growled at the trio near her, "Get out of here! I'll hold her off!"

Cracking her knuckles as she turned around, Jane popped the claws. The lengths of adamantium shimmered in the soft lighting of the mall as she leveled them towards the woman. A feral grin spread across her face as she took in her scent. A bag of cats indeed. Picking up a table and hucking it at the charging woman, Jane launched herself into the air immediately after it and slashed through the metal like a hot knife through butter. The table fragments slammed back down to the floor with a crash as Jane ran her claws against each other. The resulting shower of sparks was very impressive.

Pointing her claws at the woman again, Jane said, "I don't know who the gently caress you think you are, but you don't need to worry about me running. You need to worry about me tearing you apart!"

Rolling Solo d10, I'm The Best There Is At What I Do d8, Enhanced Strength d8, Adamantium Claws d10, Menace Master d10, and Psychic Static d8 to inflict Emotional Stress. Per Fearsome, I add another d6 to the pool and step up my resulting effect die.

(Emotional) Stress Roll: 3#1d10 5 7 5 2#1d8 8 6 1d6 5
d8 Complication: 1d8 7

Spending a PP to keep three dice for my total, giving me 22 with a d12 effect. Tagging Jean next.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jan 17, 2018 around 07:58

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


Marius M had little experience with other people's minds. But it didn't take Charles Xavier to realise they shouldn't look and feel like this. Broken, disjointed. Bits missing. It was like someone had taken a moving vehicle and removed a wheel here, there, part of the chassis, windows shattered and the shards of glass still going along as the thing kept moving despite all logic saying it shouldn't. There was pain here, anger, hundreds of screams, a baby's cry, necks snapping, guns firing. Could a mind look like a warzone? This one came close.

There was laughter.

She was laughing.

A grim, agonised laugh as she shook her head and glared down at Wolverine, eyes wide and mad as she took in the sight of the scrappy young mutant with claws out. She was visibly trembling, but with what? Nerves? Anticipation? Bloodlust? Erratic breathing and that fierce grin suggested maybe all of the above and more.

"Oh, baby girl," she cooed, and it did not sound at all pleasant when she did. She held up one hand and squeezed it into a fist. "I've been dreaming of this. My chance to fix their mistake at long, long last. You come at me with everything you've got, runt, and we'll see how the copy matches up against the original."

She squeezed her fist a little tighter, and slowly two blades slid out from the back of her hand. Thick and curved, like a pair of fangs. The unmistakeable gleam of metal coating them.

One of the men ran up to her and grabbed her by the arm. "Stand down, weapon!"

With lightning reflexes she grabbed him by the throat, lifted him off his feet, and threw him across the food court. All without looking away from Wolverine for a second, her eyes burning with hate.

"Go find the old man," she said slowly. "If anyone else gets between me and her... I'll kill you."

M's psychic interference comes at a cost, causing this mysterious stranger to get quite unhinged, but at least M gets 1PP out of it.
Doom Pool: 3d6


Meanwhile, Piotr and Rita were heading away from the food court, and finding themselves caught up in the rush of people also trying to get away. It got to be a bit of a crush as everyone went for the exit, many on their phones yelling to be heard over each other. Lots of talk about an attack, of terrorists, or criminals, of mutants. Rita held on tighter, even as the two of them got out into the sunlight.

"Pete?" She sounded frail and out of breath. "I think I'm having another p-panic attack..."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

Pete walked calmly and with a reasonable pace towards the exit of the mall. He walked with Rita on his shoulders and ducked under the doorframe a little to actually stand outside in the sunlight, the crush of people around them easily being pushed aside by the big Russian. He glanced upwards, tilting his head slightly, hands on Rita's knees holding her in place. "C'mon, Rita," he said, moving around to where Cyclops had parked the van. He didn't have keys which was- annoying. He could pull the door off but that would leave him at square one, and make everyone mad at him.

"You're alright. We're fine," he said, smiling. "We're outside, everyone else knows to come outside, everyone knows that we're leaving. It is fine," he said, trying to calm her down. He reached up over his shoulders and lifted her off, over his head and placed her down on the ground before crouching to get closer to eye level. "See? Outside, where everything is safe." He stood with her beside the van and reached into his pocket. He looked around and- gently caress it, a McDonalds. That'd do. He pulled out his phone and grinned. "Alright. You can have my phone for a while. There is Gardenscapes," he said, putting a hand on her shoulder.

This- this wasn't working. He looked her square in the eyes and took a deep breath.

"Nepra," he said, staring straight at her. "That's your name for the next hour, okay? Nepra is water goddess in Dnieper river back home. You are X-man now, okay? This is field promotion, okay? You want to be X-Man, you stay calm. You got in there, you call Professor on my phone and you tell him what's happening and you keep talking. You have very important job, making sure home base knows what's going on. Can you do that?" he asked. "Can you do that, Nepra?"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


Rita's eyes went wide, and she nodded, holding the phone close like it was something precious to be protected. "I... I'll be ok. Go be a hero, Pete. I mean... Colossus."

Careful not to drop the phone, she gave him a thumb's-up of encouragement, perhaps more meant for herself than him. Then with a hesitant wobble, she set off. The sound of distant sirens was in the air. Things were probably going to get worse before they got any better.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

Piotr grinned and gave Rita a pat on the shoulder as she gave him the thumbs up. "First mission. Make a good impression, okay?"

He waited for Rita to be more or less most of the way there before turning around and just charging in a straight line towards where Jane was. He wasn't going metal yet, but the thought had crossed his mind.

Charrrrrge!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Jean Grey
PP: 2 | XP: 3

Jean spins about, "Yeah, no-" She gestures out, flicking her wrist as at table lifts up in the air, and rotates ninety degrees, launching lit egs-first to try and tangle and pin the figure menacing Jane. "- I hate to interrupt the drama, but you're part of a team, as much as it may get in the way of your little duel of the fates." She focuses, trying to multitask . o O (Hey, Pete you and Rita okay? Things are getting bad over here, make sure you keep her safe, meet us outside.)

Of course, it might not be the best time to let herself get distracted...

Rolling Team + Fight Over Flight + Telekinetic Mastery + Combat Expert for 10 with a 1d10 effect die and 2 opportunities (2d8). Whups.

Tagging Frog for the next action.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2018 around 09:52

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

'Rita's safe,' thought Piotr. 'Picked out an X-Man name for her and everything. Nepra,' he thought, running through the parking lot, dodging past a car that'd just pulled out. 'I'm coming back in and getting everyone outta there. You make sure that Jane gets out here because I wanna talk with her.'

He dodged to the left and realised he seemed to be the only person actually heading into the mall.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


The woman half-slice, half-tore the table apart, letting the pieces clatter around her. Both sets of claws were out now, and her looming swagger had turned into a sort of readied combat stance. She sniffed slightly. "Is that you, 14? No..." her eyes flicked onto Jean. "No, that's someone new."

She leaned her head back slightly, addressing the men around her. "Secure and contain! More mutants means more weapons."

Guns were drawn now. At least, they must have been guns. They were shaped like guns. But they were a little boxy, like tazers, and each one extended out like one of those collapsible batons when drawn, gaining length in the barrel. Going from something you could conceal within a coat pocket to a something the size of a magnum revolver.

"Bringing in your friend there, along with the old man? That'll soothe things over with the foreman," she said, looking down at Wolverine again. "When I bring back your skull with nothin' else attached."

Now Jean gets 1PP, with the complication that now you've sort of alerted everyone else to your powers and presence.
Doom Pool: 3d6 1d8


Piotr was the only one heading into the mall so far, but it turned out he wasn't the only one not leaving. Shortly after passing back through the doors, the crowds gone now and the mall completely empty, someone stepped in front of him. It was the old man from the store, levelling a finger at him and looking like a prophet about to deliver the wrath of God.

"Where is she? Is she safe? Is she safe?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Piotr

Pete glared back at the man with the big beard. "She's safe," he said, moving towards him. He seemed way angrier than was needed. "What's going on?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Frog
PP: 1 0 XP: 3

Donna, inevitably looking back as she was ready to reach the exit, spots the problem that has arisen. Her face blanches at the sight. Ohhhh no. They've drawn weapons. And it looks and sounds like we cast the first stone here. And after I'd made that impassioned plea, too...okay, Frog, time to get to work, I guess. No one's noticed you yet. Given you stick out like a sore thumb in a public record, we need to either be subtle about this or slap together a disguise. Taking another moment to observe the situation, her eyes scan the horizon as her thoughts continue. They're still in the food court, and things are super wide-open, so a sneak attack isn't super viable. Everyone's cleared out except for them, which means most things are unattended...

As she goes over each storefront, the gears begin turning. Pizzeria? The paddle'd be a nice weapon but there's not a lot else besides that. Plus if that table's anything to go by it'd get destroyed instantly. Burgers? She could maybe make a fire using the deep frier and any other kinda flame, but not only is that super destructive but these people don't seem like they'd care about it...But wait! Donna you're onto something, hold onto it, hold onto it...the oil! Jane can smell it a mile away and Sarah's a really fast thinker. I think they'll be able to put two and two together once they see this coming.

Scuttling herself on over to the unattended Americana food stall, Donna enters the kitchen and begins gathering bottles of the peanut oil used for the fryer, screwing off the tops, removing the foil seals, and setting up the angle she needs. As she readies the first volley, she thinks as hard as she can, hoping Jean can hear her as her awkward jitters create for one very uncertain set of projectiles. o O (J-j-jean! Operation Oil Slick coming in hot!)

Rolling d10 Team, d4 Frog in the Throat, d8 Enhanced Strength, and using a PP to add a d8 Stunt die for this powerful throw.

Operation Oil Slick: 1d10 5 2d8 15 1d4 1

And that's a 15 with a d10 Effect Die to create an oil slick that, hopefully, someone will pick up on and be able to take advantage of. Tagging Cyclops next.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!


The stranger took a deep breath, closing his eyes for a moment. All that emotional just fell away, leaving someone cold-eyed and implacable the moment he opened his eyes again. As if he'd just hit a switch inside his head and turned off his feelings.

"If she trusts you, I'll trust you. But we don't have the time for me to go into detail. Назовите это холодная война. Еще лучше, секретная холодная война. Ситуация сложная. Мой русский не очень хорош, это было так давно. Your friend, the angry young lady with the claws, she is was used to be a part of it. But she doesn't know that, and that's putting her, and you, in trouble."

In the food court, the armed men whoever they were had opened fire. Their guns were quiet, but had an electric whine to them, the projectiles having none of the impact of bullets but crackling with high voltage. Some sort of stungun for sure, but for now they were hitting nothing but upturned tables and scattered chairs, unable to get a good line of sight on the other mutants from where they were. But they were moving in closer and spreading out, like a dragnet ready to close in.

"How many are there?" One yelled out, trying and failing to even get a bead on the very agile and evasive Frog.

"Just keep your eyes open for mission target," came a reply from one of the others. "One weapon's a lot worse than a hundred potential assets."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010


Cyclops
PP:1 XP: 2

"poo poo," Cyclops swore as the men opened fire. As a rule she tried not to swear not only was it a bad thing to do in it's own right but it revealed her own frustrations. Well clearly this wasn't going to end peacefully in which case she'd better try and even the odds. She popped up from behind the table she'd taken refuge and marked the position of the men before taking a deep breath and flipping up her ruby quartz glasses. Untold giga-joules of pure kinetic force poured out and she directed it at the men with the strange taser like guns one after the other. targeting four of the stungun wielding agents with Area SFX


Opening a portal to the punch dimension: 2d10+2d8+4d6 so 1 opportunity and 16 with 3 d6s and a d8 for my effects.

What she lacked for in finesse in the absence of her visor she more than made up for with sheer raw power.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«8 »