Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Marvel Girl
PP: 2 | XP: 3

Marvel Girl rubs her temple, as it almost seems to bleed telepathic energy. "Ngh, splitting my attention three ways? You're gonna tear my head apart.", she says to Colossus before biting her lip for a moment. "You'll need to make some distance, we can't have him focusing here. But if you're willing. Keep in mind I don't know if I can help keep you safe. I'll try. But I'm going to be pushed to my limit here. Plan B, I engage him over there, too. If I have to-"

She looks to Lee, shaking her head. "-annyway. Sorry, no controls on this show. You get what you get. It might be down to you to keep the attention if we both end up keeping him busy. I hope you're cool with that, because it might not be a choice. We need to know as much as we can while we have this opportunity. Sorry, Lee."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Colossus
PP: 3 | XP: 10 Stress 1d8 Mental

Colossus nods his head. "Alright, you just- focus on this. I will drag him away from here." He looked over at Jean and nodded. "You can do this," he said, walking over to a window. "Brains beats brawn and I could do this, so it should be easy for you," he says with a wink before just- jumping out of the window.

There'd be no memory out here, probably. Odds are, Pete would fall out, back up a layer and into the waiting sight of Adonis. He wondered, though, if this was right. Where would he end out...

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The chair struck Shadow-Stranger dead on and smashed him to pieces, like he was made of glass. The shards fell down and dug into the floor, burrowing away like weird seeds. Storm's own counterattack struck the rifle-wielding Shadow-Sniper, the long-barrelled gun acting like a lightning rod, and she simply melted, the tar-like shadowstuff dripping down the wall and flowing towards a drain grate. Adonis pitched the popcorn box over his shoulder with a sigh.

"That's it for entertainment value? Even your memories are pathetic," he sighed, stifling a yawn. He clenched his fist and Shadow-10 and Shadow-Scientist both dissolved on the spot, that same sickly shadowstuff sinking out of sight down the drain. The door to the Laundry Room suddenly slammed shut, and then fell off its hinges, revealing unbroken brick wall beneath. No way out. Just the tight, claustrophobic room and a single flickering light. "Maybe this should spice things up."

The light fizzled out in a flash, plunging the room into absolute darkness. Slowly the light returned, but it was no longer the Laundry Room. It was somewhere else, some sort of old warehouse perhaps. Run down and abandoned, but still with no visible exits.

"Maybe you should work out some of those unresolved issues, eh?" Adonis's voice whispered in Wolverine's ear, although he was nowhere to be seen. What she could see were three more copies of Weapon Ten, looking back at her with that insufferable smirk and death-hungry eyes. Two had their claws out, and one was holding one of those boxy taser-pistols in each hand, the kind the mystery soldiers had been using in the mall.

What Storm, Wolfsbane, and Blink could see was Wolverine looking back at them. Or maybe through them.

Buying two opportunities Wolfsbane.
Doom Pool: 3d10 1d12

Colossus hit the slightly dusty glass, and it shattered, each shard still showing the "outside world" as if it had just been painted on. There was nothing but darkness beyond, and he fell for what seemed like forever. There was no rush of wind, no noise except his own thoughts, and when he hit the ground it was as if he'd taken a single step downstairs. No thud, barely even the sensation of stopping.

It was still void, but there was something under his feet. A more solid piece of void, perhaps. But suddenly a bright light burst into existence overhead, like a supernova in space, or the sun reappearing after an eclipse. The void resolved from empty blackness into shadowed flesh, and fingers the size of skyscrapers curled up into view... along with the looming, gargantuan face of Adonis.

"There you are," he said, grinning that ugly grin of his, every word rumbling. "I thought I'd lost you for a moment there. But oh, where are your cute little friends, tinkertoy?"

"Or did you think you could match me all by yourself?" Adonis added from behind Colossus. This time the copy was life-size, at least in relation to Colossus. He was walking along the surface of his own palm, casual as a Sunday stroll, and though not visibly armed he didn't seem too worried at all. After all, didn't he have this whole situation in hand?

Maybe puns were just how the mental world worked.

"C'mon then, put up yer dukes," Adonis drawled in a bad cowboy impression, assuming a comically old-fashioned boxing stance with both arms raised in front of him. His jacket faded right off him, and his tie slithered off like a snake, while his sleeves rolled up all by themselves. "Try and land a punch, Rooskie, I dares ya."

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee
PP: 0 | XP: 2

Lee glances furtively around as the memory stops again. If things were going to change again, at least she might be ready this time. Colossus's suggestion only mostly registers - what's the point in just trying to fight him again, anyway? - but she stops and snorts at Jean's apology. "Sorry for what? I haven't had a real choice for myself in years." Sticking her hands in her coat pockets, she glances over as Colossus says his bit but doesn't say anything against it, not for lack of negativity, but because he's out the window before she can bother.

Looking over the still-static room, a dumb thought suddenly takes hold in Lee's mind. Walking over to the table, she reaches out towards Xorn's mask. "There's no way this works," she says aloud, taking hold of Xorn's mask. "But hey, I'll probably be braindead soon anyway." Pulling, Lee braces herself for whatever might be under the mask, if anything at all.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The mask came free with surprising ease, but what was underneath... was perhaps the weirdest sight yet. Blue flame, spilling out like an angry sun, a dying star, hate, rage, a flood of negative emotions. The blue fire spread over Xorn's form, and then Adonis's, spreading out and blossoming into a shape. Something like a triangle, or a nexus point, or an eye, or wings, or... something alive.

Brave little thing, came a voice, ten thousand voices, each of them dripping venom and wrath. So casually you look beneath the surface.

The memory burned, an inferno of blue that verged into white. The decaying of atoms, nuclear fire incarnate. You are but an infant in the eyes of the cosmos, Adonis Fourie. You wish to know secrets? You shall know death.

It wasn't talking to them. It was Adonis's own memory, of what he'd glimpsed beneath the mask. And it was terrifying.

The flames rushed back in, collapsing with a roar, and Xorn was wearing his mask again. Lee's hands were empty. Everything was back as it was... frozen in time once more.

Only the fire lingered on Jean, dancing over her gracefully like reflections on a pond. It did not hurt. There was no heat at all. It swam around her, forming a halo, a crown above her head... and then vanished. It was not a celebration. It was no magic moment, like something from a movie. The cold, dark reality of the universe, the insignificance of totality weighed down upon her. Like an ant who had somehow learned what a magnifying glass was... and seen the glare of the sun shine through it.

Whatever that voice had been, whatever that... thing that Fourie had glimpsed, it wasn't Xorn. It was like before when Jean had brushed against his mind, only now it was clearer. It was his own psychic parasite, another entity dwelling inside his head, something ancient and powerful beyond belief. Not a trick. Not a suggestion. Not a fragment. Something that lived without physical form, only existing as pure thought, a being of unimaginable potential and ability.

And Fourie had asked for that secret.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 20, 2018

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee

"What the gently caress was that?" is the only response Lee can muster beyond sweating and gesticulating in Xorn's general direction from a very safe distance.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Wolverine
PP: 0->1 | XP: 18->21 | Asset: d12 On The (Psychic) Scent

Wolverine growls, "gently caress off, Adonis. The moment I get through these stupid memories, you're next. You think I can't hurt you, just because you're some mind figment? Think again. I can be very inventive when it's time to do a little dirty work."

She cracks her neck back and forth, demonic arm seething with power, and charges towards the three copies of Ten. The three X-men can certainly see that she's really worked up, even for her usual rough-and-tumble fighting style, and whatever she thinks they are... they're not going to like what happens if she gets her hands on them. And staying out of reach? Easier said than done. Wolverine is on the lead Ten — Rene — as quick as lightning and drives her down to the floor with a quick flurry of strikes. Wolverine isn't going for killing blows, not after how ineffective they were on the previous iteration, but she figures that the mental logic of all this means these Tens still need to breathe.

Wolverine wraps her demon arm around Ten's throat, slowly starting to squeeze as she bangs her head into the floor a few times. She all but roars, "Who are you? Why do I know you, huh? And why-" A particularly hard slam. "-won't you stop?"

I figure this probably hits my other 3xp from "...And What I Do Isn't Very Nice."

Dice Pool: d10 Solo, d4 Mysterious Past, d8 Enhanced Strength, d10 Adamantium Claws, d10 Combat Master.

Complicate Rene's life!: 1#1d4 1 1#1d8 1 3#1d10 10 3 5

15 to inflict a d10 complication (will hash out exact nature with Arashi), two opportunities.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marvel Girl

"If Adonis wins, what you're saying's gonna be legit-", Jean says before Lee reaches for the helmet. There really isn't anything to add to that.

Well, except the colorful expletives that come out of her as a whisper once the light show is over. "What... was... loving... nnnngh...", she says, clutching her head. Her eyes focus on the ground, and she looks up. "Fine. Fast-forward. Not a bad idea." She then reaches out to grab ahold of the memory, to turn the page and force it onward. "Having Adonis trying to torture my friends made for a really lousy ad break anyway."

But was there really a point? In the face of all that? Might as well try and stop a bonfire by throwing herself on it.

Trying to delve deeper into the memory with Mutant Alpha, using Team d10 + Crushing Self-Doubt d4 + Telepathy d10 + Mutant Alpha d10 + Psych Mastery d8. Spending a point to keep an extra effect die, for a 15 with a d10 and no opportunities, gaining 1 pp, and...

No, no point focusing on that. Not while her friends were alive.

In the lab, Jean's astral form comes out of the shadows, flaring with pink light. Enough playing it safe. Safe was just getting them divided. She focuses on trying to reassert their reality - their reality. Xavier's reality. Give the rest a push to get past the Adonis' Horror House, tear away the shadows.

... and using that other die to try to create an d10 Mental Clarity asset for those in the Wolverine drama zone.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Blink
PP: 0|XP: 1| Stress: 1d10 mental

"Note to self." Blink intones after Adonis appears again and taunts and disappears. "If you ever become a really prominent thief, do not become a self-obsessed narcissistic arsehole. "

After the scenery went topsy-turvey again, Blink glanced around at the surroundings. Not that she hadn't been in abandoned warehouses before, but... "I still don't recognize this place either. Is this still your memory Jane?" She asked.

And then she freaked out, screamed at Rene, and dove on her. Clarice's eyes went wide. "That is uhm...that's no good."

Of course, Blink had to do something. So, reaching into the seam, she pulled out a smallish, glowing orb. With an admittedly pretty decent softball lob, it landed on the floor near Rene. "Quick, out from under her!" She imagined something weird was going on, probably. Not sure what, it probably wasn't wise to immediately start fighting Jane until they figured it out. So, Evac might be the right call?

Ok, making a Rift asset.

1d6 Team, 1d8 Consummate Wanderer, 2d8 Teleport (thanks to Versatile), 1d8 Athletics Expert.

It's bad. an 11 with a d4 and 3 opportunities. All dice rollers despise me.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Storm
PP: 0 | XP: 1 | Stress 1d8 Mental, 1d10 physical

"Wolverine, no!" Cries out Storm, "Stop! You're hurting Rene! Can't you see this is a trick from Adonis!?" Storm desperately tries to reach out to her teammate... and fails, anger and frustration building up inside of her as she watches one of her own teammates brutally beat up another. "I said..." She thrusts both her arms forward, "STOP!" And sends an intense gust of wind in Wolverine's direction, one that is strong enough to knock even the toughest mutants of their feet!

Dice Pool: d10 Team, d8 Mercurial, d12 Weather Control, d8 Combat Expert.

Inflict Complication on Wolverine!: 1d10 8 1d12 4 3#1d8 3 8 1

Accidentally rolled an extra d8, so the 1 shouldn't count, I think. Either way, that's a 16 with a d12 Complication like Blown Away on Wolverine.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Colossus

Puns weren't really Pyotr's strong suit. They worked in Russian along with weird, shoe-leather based proverbs but didn't really translate too great. He rolled his eyes at Adonis and shook his head.

"Nah," he said with a shrug of his huge, metallic shoulders. "Andrew? Algernon? Alex?" he said, starting to list names off. "There is no way that a balding, fat, friendless piece of poo poo like you is actually called Adonis," he said. He was projecting a mental image. The little, tubby, balding man he'd seen earlier. "I bet you needed to use your powers to get laid for the first time," he teased. "My first time was at one of the training camps. She was on the Russian Olympic gymnast team-"

He took a step towards Adonis.

"I wonder what that must have been like for you. Knowing that there was literally no one that would ever care about you unless you forced them to. You got your powers late and you used them to make up for your own pitiful shortcomings as a man."

He took another step forwards.

"You know, the real you? The you outside here? They died. I saw the death certificate. I checked to see if anyone went to your funeral and I do not think they even marked the grave. And now that's all you are," he continued. "An unmarked echo of a failure of a man, rattling around in the rafters of a visionary mind who did not even notice you were there. I am not going to fight you, because you are not worthy of my sweat."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane
PP: 3 | XP: 6

"Now what's he doing?" Rene pouted, she was getting excited by the fight. The wolf in her filling her with animistic energy. She paced back and forth in the darkness. Hoping for more targets to smash! Nose sniffing constantly. But by the time the lights came back, it was just them. The four of them, standing there.

"Huh...?" She looked over at Wolverine. She yelled... something. The blood was pumping in her ears too loud to hear. Then she charged. She barely even reacted as Wolverine clocked her. She tumbled to the floor. Higher brain too shocked to defend herself, animal brain too rattled by the blow. Then Wolverine was on top of her. Hand around her throat. Her head slammed into the ground. She had to- she had to-

- - - -

Ahhh getting choked! Team D10 + Wild side D4 (+1PP) + Growth D6 + Psych Expert D8: 1d10 7 1d8 1 1d6 2 1d4 1

......Uhhh, okay, that's not great.

Roll result 8
Effect dice D4
Opportunities 2

- - - -

Her mind spun. The strength of the beast on top of her. The roughness. The savagery. The wolf reacted. It was totally the wolf, totally the wolf! It was an animal dominance thing. At least, that was how she'd later rationalise what happened next.

Rene bucked against her aggressor in a futile attempt to get free. Eyes rolling back, her face increasingly red as her air supply started to run out. She needed to say something, something that would startle her aggressor. In her panic she reached for one word.

"H-Harder...!" She croaked.

She would come to regret that discussion.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 20, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 1->2 | XP: 21 | Asset: d12 On The (Psychic) Scent

Rene takes d12 Cowed as her complication.

Wolverine easily manages to keep her grip on Ten, despite the attempts to buck her off. The catlike mutant beneath her is simultaneously completely mysterious and aggravatingly familiar. The feeble attempts to escape just raise her ire. She squeezes the mutant's neck harder, saying, "Is that all you've got, Ten?"

Then, of course, Ten speaks... and for a moment, Wolverine hears Rene's voice come out. The words don't make much sense to her, of course, because why would Rene want her to squeeze harder? She shakes her head, figuring it for another of Adonis's cheap tricks, but that moment of hesitation gives one of the other Tens the opportunity to hit her with... some sort of electric wave from her tasers? The hell? Wolverine slams the katana into the warehouse's floor, struggling to maintain her position, but the assault is too much. The wave sends her flying into — and through! — the wall of the warehouse.

Wolverine lets out a yell of pure, unadulterated frustration as she flies off into the black.

Dice Pool: d10 Solo, d4 A Chip On Her Shoulder, d8 Enhanced Strength, d10 Adamantium Claws, d10 Combat Master.

Resist getting blown away!: 1#1d4 1 1#1d8 7 3#1d10 1 2 3

10 with a d10 effect isn't near enough, so that steps up past a d12 and Wolverine is temporarily out of action. Two more opportunities.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The boxing Adonis slowed down and stopped his hopping from one foot to the other, and then playfully brushed his knuckles across his own chin. "Oh, ouch. Going for the emotional blows? Tsk, tsk. Not very sportsmanlike."

He shrugged and turned his back on Colossus, taking a few paces away, his arms behind his back. Still casual as can be, not a care in the world. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised you looked me up. Although even a dim bulb like yourself ought to have noticed that Adonis is my given name. My parents had aspirations, and... faith in the superiority of my genes, shall we say. They never knew how right they were, aheh..."

In the memory of Marrakesh, Jean gave things a push, and it started moving again. Unsteadily, skipping like a record for a moment. But eventually back on track, the conversation resuming. The night had drawn on a little more, maybe a half hour or so.

"I could just keep him here, to run my errands like all my other puppets," Adonis was saying. "That ought to keep him out of your hair, right?"

Xorn had reclined back, his finger steepled in front of him, so oddly like the same pose the Professor took. He shook his head. "No. For a start, Charles Xavier is at least your equal. Even with the gift you'll be getting, he'll break your mind in two. This calls for a subtle approach. Let him think he has earned a hard-won victory, while you infiltrate him. Sit inside his head, somewhere he won't find you, and nudge him away from this foolish revolution he has planned."

Adonis did not seem pleased, wrinkling his nose. "Sounds more like a punishment for me than for him. Leave my body behind for who knows how long?"

Xorn tapped the side of his head, or at least his mask. "Eternal and immortal,
remember? Even years will mean nothing to you. Besides..."

With no other words, Xorn held up his hand. Adonis regarded it with a skeptical eye, and then jumped back, startled, as it ignited into blue flame. It burned away, all the way to the elbow. Then the flame turned red and reversed direction, Xorn's arm returning as it went.

"My God," said Adonis in a quiet voice, his eyes gleaming.

"Taking things apart, putting them back together... nothing is beyond our combined power," said Xorn, flexing his fingers before lowering his hand again. "You can have a new body when your task is done. Taller, stronger, younger... whatever you desire. As well as a place in the new world order, of course. Just as long as you stick to the plan."

Adonis leaned back in his chair and cast a glance over his gut, a wry smile on his face. "Quite the deal I'm getting, a new life and unlimited power. A stint in psychic solitary seems like it would be well worth it."

Back atop the gigantic hand, Adonis was humming to himself, an annoyingly catchy tune that sounded kind of familiar to Colossus but not anything he could place.

"You ever get a tune stuck in your head, tinkertoy? I suppose Charles has it worse, though. He's got a me stuck in his head." Adonis wasn't even looking at Colossus while he spoke. "But a tune is so annoying, especially when you can't remember the words. It took me some time to recall why it felt so familiar to me."

He snapped his fingers and a forest of doors sprung up from the landscape, or palmscape, in front of him. He held his hand out and they rearranged themselves in a whirl of movement.

"I suppose you got in my head a little, too, didn't you? You kids are a lot more resourceful than I gave you credit for. Not the insults stuff, though," he added. The multitude of doors slowed to a stop, and the one in front of him opened up. He reached through one to grab at something.

Lee felt herself tumble backwards, out of the Marrakesh memory and onto soft ground. No, not ground... skin, in shadow. The looming face of Adonis occupying the sky, with only a distant sun for illumination, soon explained that. Adonis reached through again, not even paying attention to Lee.

"Now, where's the other one..."

Buying 4 opportunities from Wolverine, buying 3 opportunities from Blink, buying 2 opportunities from Wolfsbane. Thanks for the dice, they shall be put to good use.
Doom Pool: 4d12

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane
PP: 3 | XP: 6 | Complications: d12 Cowed

Air fills her lungs, and Rene splutters. Her mutant born resilience sparing her from harm. But god she was- why did she say that? Why did she feel like that? And why was she now feeling like this?! She tried a few deep calming breaths, and thanked her mental projection that she was covered in a mixture of fur and branches. Otherwise that would have been incredibly awkward, thank god no one saw tha.....

Rene looks at her companions. And attempts the first turtle impression ever done by a werewolf while blushing furiously.

"U-Uhh... I-I was t-trying to use r-reverse psychology to m-make her let go...!" she offered lamely. An awkward pause. "B-But then the wolf! I-It was really into it- I mean, the dominance thing- Ah no, I um, m-mean it r-recognised her as being i-in charge!" Another awkward pause. "S-Shut up!" She said before any remarks had been made. "We need to go after her." She said, standing up briskly. Trying for all the world to not look like a teenager who'd suddenly discovered the effects of hormones for the first time. Her voice a couple octaves too high for someone really in control of her emotions right now.

"I really don't want to know what Adonis could do to her on her own and unconscious." She said, following the path of destruction Jane's flight had taken.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink

Clarice hadn't really noticed Rene's verbal gaffe, what with concentrating on preventing Jane from killing her and everything. She was pretty sure Storm hadn't noticed, either.

That is until Rene brought it up. Still, she had offered wolf cuddles earlier, so all Blink gave away was something of a bemused smile that brought some pink back into her lips. She allowed Wolfsbane to lead the chance after Wolverine.

"Okay, right. Did she call you Ten?" She asks, following after her. "What's all that supposed to be about?" Adonis hadn't popped back up, which was disconcerting, but it was pretty clear he was doing something to Jane. "Boy, The Professor sure should've gone with some more psychics, huh?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Colossus

"It is interesting how interested in hands you are considering everything about you is second hand," said Colossus. "Your aspirations, your styling, your powers-" he waited to see if there was a bite there. "I saw metal-head give you your juice."

He tilted his helmeted head.

"My guess is you are afraid of the Professor. That is why you have been hiding in here. You two met in Marakesh, he made you his bitch and now you're hiding. How close am I?"

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee

"Okay, this is definitely bigger than the Professor thought," Lee comments, as Xorn explains and demonstrates the whole situation. "We need to ge-" Then something yanks her trenchcoat back, hard, and any concerns are cut off by a frantic "oh shi-"

---

"-itfuck" Lee blurts, as she falls backwards through the dark, before her hands find the groun-

Skin? What the gently caress? Lee leaps to her feet with a "guh", before glancing towards the sound of Colossus and confirming, as her eyes adjust, that it is actually him.

Then, she realizes what he's saying. Then, to whom he's saying it.

Panicked, Lee chucks a large cluster of plasmoids directly at Adonis's face. "He's not hiding!" she yells to Colossus. "It's part of their plan! He's still working for Xorn!"

Magic Missile At The Darkness (Buddy, Firecracker @ 1d4, Energy Blast d10 w/ Full Force, Blinding Flash, Combat Expert): 2, 4, 3, 1, & 1 ... spending a PP to make it 9 w/ stepped-up default d6 Blinded effect die, and 1-2 PP,

2 opportunities and if it fails there's another d8 added to the doom pool. This is gonna suck.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Absolutely correct!" Adonis called back, turning his head just in time to catch Lee's attack fully. His face shattered and collapsed, revealing just empty hollowness inside, like a broken vase. He stumbled backwards and fell, breaking completely. The shards crumbled into dust which just seemed to sink back down into the colossal palm beneath.

"Although I prefer to say working with," he continued in a louder, deeper voice. The gigantic Adonis, his eyes glinting in the darkness like twin eclipses, gave his fingers a flex as if to prove he was still there. "I had to destroy his career, to erase certain memories, and finally to ensure any useful mutants were delivered right into our mutual friend's loving embrace."

The forest of doors began to rattle and shake, some of them opening, seemingly at random, to have Adonis pop out from behind them like some sort of grotesque parody of a sitcom neighbour. They whispered things, not loud enough to be heard individually, but all of them together made it echo out above the creaking of a thousand hinges. The noise was like wind in the trees, all different words, phrases that could be picked out here and there, repeated over and over.

"Don't trust Charles Xavier. Charles Xavier is lying to you. Charles Xavier is twisting your mind. You can't trust what Charles Xavier says. Charles Xavier will get you killed."

The voices hushed into silence as all the doors closed slowly, but with one last whisper coming in unison, so quiet and yet so loud.

"Trust in the man called X."

The gigantic Adonis gave a mocking laugh, rolling his eyes. "But of course this ends up in Charles's subconscious, and so he names his team the X-Men. All those little minds I helped guide astray, they can't help themselves! They have to trust someone calling themselves an X-Man. Oh, I warned him that his little name-change wouldn't be good, but no. All part of the greater plan, Adonis. Trust me."

He seemed to be talking mostly to himself at this point, and so it was all too sudden when he loomed down, his face like an oncoming asteroid, his too-perfect features twisted into a mad smile as he stared unblinking at the insect-sized X-Men on his palm.

"So here's my solution, kids: no more hiding, no more games, no more bargain, and no more X-Men. Charles's big experiment fails here and now. Just seven comatose students, and Charles and his Institute both under new management! The seat of my new kingdom! A new world of power and control! Cerebro slaved to my will, and mine alone!"

He threw his head back and laughed so hard that his palm shook like an earthquake beneath them, the doors rattling once more. Elsewhere in the mental realm, doors were suddenly appearing, flying open, as the world shook. The abandoned warehouse that Wolfsbane, Blink, and Storm were in suddenly had dozens of doors on every wall, even the ceiling and floor. The coffee house in Marrakesh was full of doors too. Even in the void, Wolverine was joined by doors everywhere, floating alongside her.

"So what's it going to be, tinkertoy?" Adonis asked, fixing one wide eye on Colossus. It looked more like a snake's than a man's, glinting oddly in the cold white sunlight as it still fell in shadow despite the naked light source up above. "Still don't want to fight me?"

Buying those two opportunities from Lee for 2pp, seems only fair. Taking any of the mystery doors will bring you to where Colossus and Lee currently are, although it is a palm the size of Central Park, so there's a lot of space there.
Doom Pool: 1d8 4d12

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane

Rene ran full pelt and snatched the form of Wolverine up. Why she would do this for someone who attempted to strangle her not 2 minutes ago is... well... uh... shut up.

Sadly, mind space momentum was a hell of a thing, and she found herself slipping through one of many doors and falling into a huge palm. Adonis's palm.... yay...?

Shaking off the surprise, and spotting Lee and Colossus, Rene was struck by how pointless this all seemed. How were they supposed to fight something like this?! None of this was working! She tried to glare up at the looming face. Wincing against the harsh... light...

Several things clicked into place in Rene's brain. Mathematical equations that involved the words "gently caress" and "=gratuitous violence". Laying Wolverine down as softly as she could (and trying really really hard to not feel drat weird while doing so) she marched up to Colossus.

"Hey, big guy, good to see you two in one peace. I've got an idea. It's a terrible idea. But it might just work. See that big stupid orb of light? I want you to throw me at it. Hard and fast. Hard and as fast as you can, okay?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Colossus

Colossus was still rolling with the mental shock. Honestly, he seemed kind of checked out. Nothing he was trying was working and it was frustrating.

He looked down at Wolfsbane when she marched on up to him. He looked at the orb and then at Wolfsbane and shook his head. "I am not going to throw you as hard as I can," he said. He reached down and grabbed her by the an armpit and by her belt on the small of her back. "I will throw you as hard as I think you can take."

He didn't really want to be typecast as the person that just threw people at their problems but, hey, when you're asked to throw someone at something it'd be rude to turn down the opportunity. He squeezed Rene, nodded and spun like he was getting ready to throw a hammer. Just one spin. He sighted the target and released, hands just shoving Rene into the air. He didn't even grunt at the exertion but, for Rene, it was probably like being fired from a gun. Not his limit, but what she could handle.

I'm not really sure what to roll so I'll spend a PP to generate a D8 Stunt for Rene called Fastball Special.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
As Wolfsbane shot up into the sky, empty except for that single sun, the colossal Adonis reached out with his other hand. But despite moving surprisingly fast for something that size, it wasn't fast enough to catch up. Fingertips the size of a city block stretched out but found nothing, as Wolfsbane went higher and higher. That cold sun was growing much bigger in her view than some distant star would have done. It was small, and closer than anyone thought.

The halo of light was near-blinding as she got close, still travelling fast, but not so bright that she couldn't see the figure at the centre of it. Then she could see the look of shock on his face, his arms rising up to try and deflect her. But Colossus had given her speed and accuracy. She hit him dead on like a pro footballer sacking a quarterback, knocking the wind out of him and eliciting an incredibly satisfying-sounding hacking wheeze.

Gravity reasserted itself on both of them, Wolfsbane's arms wrapped around his waist, and the sun fell from the sky. Trailing light like a comet until the pair of them smacked, together, into the palm below. Everything shattered like glass, a hundred times over, breaking and reforming and changing into a jumble of tangled thoughts and memories.

A pulse of light washed out from the sun-figure, erasing the world for a moment, and then the darkness came back. The landscape was now some sort of grand palace or possibly a cathedral, high ceilings and ornate architecture with stained glass windows, dominated by a tall throne seated upon a dais. All the X-Men were there now, having been torn out of whatever memory they'd been in when the light pulsed. Drawn into this place by a massive pull of mental energy. The figure of light was standing on the throne, one foot raised up onto the armrest, his light the source of all the shadows.

"Clever," he said, and his voice was Adonis. His appearance was Adonis. But no shadows on him at all. This was no appendage, no extension of his will. This was him, the mental manifestation of the parasite he had become, burning brighter than it had in Xavier's memories. He seemed short of breath, one hand against his gut where Wolfsbane had tackled him. Perhaps this was the closest thing to a physical body he could have, in this purely psychic state. "But even if you've finally figured it out, you're still face-to-face with the most powerful psychic who ever lived, little X-Men."

Spending some of the Doom Pool to drag everyone into the final showdown. It's a big throne room type place
Doom Pool: 1d8 2d12

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee
PP: 2 | XP: 2

"Yeah. But then you died." Lee doesn't waste any more time. gently caress this whole place, and gently caress this jackass most of all. Throwing both hands up, she hurls as many plasmoids as she can muster at Adonis. "Outshine this."

Light Up The Light (Team, Mall Goth, Energy Blast w/ Full Force x2, Combat): 1, 2, 7, 8, 8 - Spending 1 PP to add an extra die to the total for 23 w/ d8 Physical Stress effect

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 6->5 | XP: 21 | Asset: d12 On The (Psychic) Scent

Wolverine slowly rouses as psychic bullshit compounds with more psychic bullshit. She's not sure if this is real. She's not sure if this is even what it looks like. But there's one thing she knows for drat sure. That shadowless freak? He stinks of Adonis and that can mean only one thing: Play time is over. Now it's time to take the gloves off and show him exactly what the price of playing with her memories is going to be. She steps forward, clapping Wolfsbane on the shoulder, and says, "Nice work, whatever you did."

She looks at Adonis, as close to the flesh as he can manage, and says, "Jesus, you've got to work on your self-image. I mean, poo poo, you're basically pure thought, right? You can be whatever you want... and you pick that?" She chuckles a bit, then adds, "Of course, I guess it doesn't really matter. By the time we're done with you, you're not going to look like much of anything."

As Lee's plasmoid barrage rocks towards him, Wolverine rushes towards Adonis with her katana sheathed. She had more than a little frustration to work out and, honestly, who would care if she got a little rough with a mind parasite? The sword flicks out, impossibly fast, carving a swath of destruction across the throne room all the while. Wolverine slides to a stop, sheathing the sword once more. A grimace on her face belies the fact that her strike didn't feel as though it struck home.

Dice Pool: d8 Team, d8 I'm The Best There Is At What I Do, d8 Enhanced Strength, d10 Adamantium Claws, d10 Combat Master, d12 On The (Psychic) Scent.

Inflict Stress on Adonis [SFX Reroll]: 3#1d8 3 3 3 3#1d10 2 6 2 1#1d12 1

9 to inflict d10 stress, after spending a PP to activate Feral Cunning. One opportunity.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink

Blink had been chasing after Rene who was chasing after Jane and suddenly the world had exploded again and become a cathedral. She was quick to get her bearings due to being used to sudden shifts in location, which was good because Adonis was making additional grandoise narcissist statements.

Lee didn't seem to have much use for those, however, and neither did Clarice, really.

This was a new trick, relatively speaking. But what better time to try it? Besides, she was just about over this whole excursion.

"You're just a bad dream, Adonis. An afterthought. And it's wakey-wakey time!" The black and white of Clarice flickered all to green and pink, she was still bisected but the seam was closing and the mismatched apparel was at least all color coordinated now. She dived into a portal at her feet and appeared above the colorful ruckus that Lee was generating, diving knives first at Fourie's head.

1d6 team, 1d8 mercurial moods, 1d10 from weapon and combat expert stepped up due to focus.

Wow I suck. 7 with a d10 to add to stress. But if Lee's hit takes, it at least is a 10 which is maybe something.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Storm
PP: 0 | XP: 1 | Stress 1d8 Mental, 1d10 physical

"And you know what?" Storm floats up, her entire plasma body crackling with angry electricity, "I am so sick of hearing you talk." Holding out both her hands forward, she shoots out a huge bolt of electricity, aimed right for the parasite's head, putting as much power into it as she can, "So why don't you just shut that big ugly mouth of yours already!?"

1d10 team, 1d8 Mercurial, 1d10 electrical blast, 1d8 combat expert.

Inflicting Stress on Adonis: 2#1d10 4 4 2#1d8 2 3

7 to inflict d10 stress. No opportunities.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Lee's light show popped and crackled violently around Adonis's head, forcing him backwards until shadow swirled around him to form a suit of armour, complete with a crowned helm. He'd just about regained his footing when Blink dropped down on him and put a crack in it, causing the radiance to seep out. He grabbed her by the shoulders and flung her across the room with impossible strength.

"Is that the best you've got? Ridiculous!" He laughed as his armour sloughed off him as quickly as it had formed, but it was clear from his stance that the attack hadn't done nothing. Wolverine charged in, rending deep gashes in the floor with her spiritual sword, but Adonis was already in the air, leaping up to alight on the back of the throne. He threw his arms wide and shadows gathered in each hand, forming two old-fashioned tommy guns, straight out of a gangster movie. He opened fire indiscriminately, spraying dark bullets across the entire throne room.

Thunder struck, a boom like a cannon, and a bolt of lightning from Storm hit him dead on. His light flickered... and then surged back, brighter than before. His brow was furrowed, his hair a mess. Not just angry. Enraged. He began to hum to himself as he discarded his guns and brought forth more shadows. They pulsated, twisting from one shape to another. Soldiers, lions, scorpions, snakes, all larger than life and growing larger. He seemed to still be deciding on the right instrument of destruction.

"I am the king in shadow," he snarled, "and I won't be beaten by children! Dah-dah-dee, dah-dah-dee, dah-dah-dee, dah-dah..."

The shadow wraiths formed into a dozen cowboys, fresh out of a western, as he hummed to himself. Each one with a pair of six-shooters, out of the holster and levelled at the X-Men. Adonis rubbed his chin thoughtfully, and smiled. "Not sure what I was thinking here... but what the hell, let's go with it."

Twenty-four revolvers opened fire in a storm of shadowy gunsmoke.

Adonis is at d8 physical stress and d8 mental stress now. Buying opportunities from Wolverine and Lee. Everyone has to beat 9 to avoid d6 physical stress from Adonis's lousy shooting, and has to beat 11 to avoid d8 physical stress from the cowboys who honestly aren't that much better.
Doom Pool: 2d6 1d8 1d12

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 26, 2018

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink

Ah yes, Clarice smirked even as she was flung backwards. This was more like it, now Adonis had lost his composure - all grandstanding and bluster, no more composure and certainly no more traps.

"You're no king!" She taunts, a moment before she slips into another portal and steps out on her feet. "Just a bad memory hiding in dark corners. Just a mark waiting to be gamed!" She laughs mockingly as he fires at her, at the team, disappearing into another portal and re-appearing on a stained glass windowsill. "Destined to be forgotten, except as a bad joke!" More bullets, and she was gone again, another taunting laugh in her wake.

First roll, team d6, fae trickster d8, teleport d10, acrobatics expert d8, adonis' mental stress d8
17 with a d8 and one opportunity to dodge the King's shots.

Second roll team d6, fae trickster d8, teleport 2d8 thanks to versatile, and acrobatics expert d8
11 with a d8 and another opportunity. Since players win ties, I dodge that one, too!

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 26, 2018

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Colossus
PP: 2 | XP: 10 Stress 1d8 Mental

Colossus just stood there as the shots rained down on him. He was made of metal and didn't give a drat.

He looked at Adonis and grunted shaking his large helmeted head. The Crimson Dynamo seemed to have reached a point where he was ready to move on from plan B. Then again, since joining the X Men, he realised that calling things plan A and B wasn't really viable. That gave the impression that there was only ever 26 plans in motion at any one time. No, he looked over at Adonis and shook his head.

"All this time I was talking to you, not because I wanted to distract you, or to make you angry," he said. "I was doing it because I wanted to give you a way out of this that was not going to hurt. Remember. You chose this."

Colossus stepped forwards and shoved his right leg down hard into the ground. He felt the surface crack, and you could be forgiven for thinking that he'd had enough and had just peaced the entire hell out of there. About three seconds later he spun in midair, reangled himself, roared and dived shoulder-first into the ground. There was a shockwave, a sound of thunder and a realisation that this was Colossus doing stuff that he knew he'd probably not be allowed to do in reality. A hit like that, though? He'd probably given the Professor an aneurysm.

10 + 8 to resist from this roll. Taking a d4 to gain 1PP back.

I'm then gonna use my area of effect SFX to land this loving warcrime for d12 effect and a target number of 65 to beat. I think it is limited to just the cowboys, however, since they're positioned away from Adonis.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 5->4 | XP: 21 | Asset: d12 On The (Psychic) Scent

Wolverine whips her blade back and forth, deflecting the various bullets coming her way with no small amount of grace and skill. You'd think that it wasn't the first time that she'd dealt with gunfire that way... though the implications were, perhaps, a little unsettling. Almost contemptuously, she sends one of the bullets flying straight back at the self-proclaimed king. As the shadowy bullet blows apart the equally shadow crown atop his head, Wolverine waves a demonic finger at him and says, "You know, a smart man once said that if you come at the king, you'd best not miss." She mimes blowing away smoke. "From where I'm standing, the so-called king can't hit. You might as well give up the crown right now, idiot."

Dice Pool: d8 Team, d8 I'm The Best There Is At What I Do, d8 Enhanced Reflexes, d8 Adonis Stress, d10 Adamantium Claws, d10 Combat Master.

Reaction Pool (Adonis): 4#1d8 8 6 5 1 2#1d10 2 8

16 with a d10 to defend, spending a PP to inflict that effect die on Adonis as emotional stress... which steps up to a d12 since the reaction was an exceptional success. One opportunity.

Reaction Pool (Cowboys): 4#1d8 4 3 4 5 2#1d10 4 10

15 with a d10 to defend.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marvel Girl

Marvel Girl's dazed for a moment as she reorients, recovering from having split her attention, but the sound of bullets snaps her out of it. Reflexively, she puts up a telekinetic shield, her pink energy curling out from her forehead like a wave as shadowy bullets are shoved aside by his light. "They're right. You're just a pawn. A bullet loaded at Xavier's hopes. You can think you're partners with Xorn. Here's a clue: he doesn't."

Rolling a defensive reaction: Team d10 + Fight Over Flight d8 + Telekinetic Mastery d10 + Combat Mastery for 16 with a d10 effect with no opportunities, and spending a PP to keep a d8 for the other attack.

Her eyes glow as she pulls back the energy, folding it into her hands like an unstable sphere. The psychic energy now just kind of swirls around her, like it might overwhelm her. "You think he cares about you any more than the rest of the Brotherhood? You think he figures he has to keep his promise?" She flares with energy, wincing as she finally ceases holding back, becoming a fount of psychic light. "He promised you a prize he knew you wouldn't be around to claim! Now #$*% off!"

It's less like the unseen twists of the normal world and more like she's just unleashing some natural, barely-controlled flood at Adonis.

Rolling to inflict mental stress on Adonis (with Mutant Alpha and Psychic Powerhouse, spending the last PP to keep an extra die): Team d10 + Fight Over Flight d8 + Psychic Blast d8 + Mutant Alpha d10 + Psych Expert d8 + Psychic Powerhouse d6 = 21 with a d12 effect, no opportunities.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane

There he was, the lightbulb in chief. But Rene found herself standing in place. Like she was waiting for something. She'd never normally hesitated... so why now? Was she waiting for a command...? Realisation blossomed as her heart beat intensified. She was waiting for Wolverine to tell her to attack like a good little dog.

She looks to her team mate Pack Alpha Team mate looking for something, anything. AHhh! No, she shook her head, what was she doing! This was all Adonis's fault! If he hadn't gotten into Wolverine's head, then she'd never have... confused her so much!

Then the words hit her. "The most powerful psychic."

"Powerful Psychic"

"Psychic"

Mind reader! Oh no! If he read her mind, then he'd totally be able to see what she was thinking about! And tell everyone about it! A-And then they'd all think she was a total weirdo who gets-

Gunfire rings in her ears! She'd been so distracted with her train of thought that she totally zoned out! Now there was bullets from both Adonis and a posse of cowboys! Rene dived! Dropping onto all fours and moving with a speed built entirely on adrenaline and a sudden all consuming thought! Adonis had to be brought down before he could mock her about what had happened with Wolverine!

- - - -

Gunfire- @Arashiofordo3: 1d12+1d10+3d8 Dodge Emotional stress d12 + team d10 + wild side d8 Superhuman reactions d8 + acrobatics expert d8 = (2)+(9)+(1+2+3) = 17

Roll result: 12
Effect Dice: D12
Opportunities: 1
Spending 1PP to counter attack with D12 Effect Dice!

Cowboys- @Arashiofordo3: 1d12+1d10+3d8 Dodge Emotional stress d12 + team d10 + wild side d8 Superhuman reactions d8 + acrobatics expert d8 = (3)+(3)+(1+6+6) = 19

Roll result: 12
Effect Dice: D12
Opportunities: 1
Spending 1PP to counter attack with D12 Effect Dice!

- - - -

Like a nightmare brought to life, Rene hit Adonis. Laying into him with fists and fury! He could not be allowed to say another word! Jab! Jab! Headhook! Kidney punch! Uppercut! Jab! Bodyhook! Cross! She swung like a professional boxer. If pro boxers were 7 foot wolfgirls made of brambles. Beating him to the floor before leaping backwards! Back flipping out of the Cowboy's attempts to shoot her in the back! But Adonis wasn't quite so lucky!

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 26, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Storm
PP: 0 > 1 | XP: 1 | Stress 1d8 Mental, 1d10 physical

Storm barely moves, as a barrier of wind forms around her, blowing away the bullets before they could even hit her.

Resisting with d12 Weather Mastery, d10 Team, d8 Strong-Willed Girl, d8 Combat Expert, d8 Adonis Stress

Resisting Adonis: 1d12 8 1d10 3 3#1d8 7 3 3

15 with a d10 effect. No opportunities.

Resisting Cowboys: 1d12 3 1d10 9 3#1d8 3 8 6

17 with a d12 effect. No opportunities.

She was getting tired. Tired of Adonis' constant goating, tired of his games, tired of him. "You might be a king, Adonis, but me?" She raises herself up higher into the air, as dark clouds appear above her, blanketing the entire area around them, and she roars out, "I am a raging tempest, here to deliver punishment to false kings!" The clouds begin to rumble along with her, and BOOM! Lightning comes crashing down on the man who dares call himself a king, almost as if it was a divine punishment from above, sending shockwaves all around the area!

Attacking with d12 Weather Mastery, d10 Team, d4 Mercurial, d8 Combat Expert, d8 Adonis Stress

Inflicting Stress on Adonis: 1d12 1 1d10 9 1d4 2 2#1d8 2 7

Inflicting 16 Physical Stress with a d8 effect. One opportunity, and I gain 1 pp back for the d4.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 26, 2018

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee
PP: 2 | XP: 2

Lee is crouched, breathing heavily after her volley, when Adonis leaps atop his throne and opens fire. She jumps back-

-and does a triple back handspring out of the line of fire?

There's only a moment for Lee to stare at her hands and question how long it's been since she actually did one of those, though, before she falls under the cowboys hail of lead.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The cowboys got off perhaps two volleys before Colossus split the throne room open. The entire thing broke into pieces, barely held together in a vague semblance of its former shape. Outside the void had become a raging storm, maybe due to Storm's own actions. Dark clouds boiling up, illuminated by lightning, and behind the rumble of thunder was a distant melody.

"Look at you, stumbling around! You're weak! Pathetic! You can barely even project your own selves! So how are you doing this?!" Adonis screamed, his light flaring, tinged blue at the edges. He flung his arms out wide and all the disparate pieces of the throne room stopped moving, veins and cables seeping out from each piece to anchor the mess together. The distant melody soared, loud enough for everyone to hear, and it made Adonis stamp his foot loud enough to make the world tremble. "And what! Is! That! Song?!"

Something washed over the X-Men, invisible but felt deep down, like a warmth. The shadows of the throne room receded away as it went. It was like dawn was breaking, to counter the false, cold sun of Adonis.

Their mental forms wavered and changed, but gracefully. Each of them as they were in the real world, only shining with inner light, and wearing a truly exceptional uniform that, despite some differences, showed they were all the same team. Adonis raised one hand, his eyes wide and glaring, and then clenched his fist. Gigantic clawed fingers began to pierce down through the ceiling and up from the floor, as if he was going to crush the entire place.

But they slowed and stopped, finding some unseen resistance. A voice rang out – no, sang out – joining in with the melody.

"Anything you can do, I can do better," sang the Professor, fading into view. He glanced around at the team with a smile, then looked Adonis in the eye. "I can do anything better than you."

Adonis looked furious, shaking, his lips twitching. But he couldn't help himself. He spat the words out quietly. "No you can't."

"Yes I can," responded the Professor, a little smugly.

"No you can't!" It was a scream this time, and the claws in the ceiling shook. "Your power's all in these children, Charles! You're nothing right now! You think they can help you?"

"They've been doing a rather remarkable job so far," said the Professor. "My X-Men, if you please... play us out."

The clawed fingers broke apart, and the whole throne room crumbled away to reveal familiar shining walls and holographic projectors. It was the Danger Room, and the harsh lighting made Adonis seem like a very meagre glow in comparison.

Adonis is at d12 on all stresses now. Buying opportunities from the following: 1 from Blink, 1 from Colossus, 1 from Wolverine, 2 from Wolfsbane, 1 from Storm, 1 from Lee. Then promptly having to spend almost all of them. Everyone has lost their particular mental forms and now looks like their real selves, thanks to the culmination of the Professor psychically boosting you all to top strength.
Doom Pool: 1d8

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink
PP: 1|XP: 1| Stress: 1d10 mental

Clarice was nowhere to be seen while this was going on, of course - she had teleported to some unseen corner of the crumbling throne room to stay out of the way of the hail of brain-bullets. So as she re-materialized out of a glowing pink portal that opened up again with a BLUNK!, finally, she grinned, her black-and-gold trimmed overcoat dramatically fluttering around her ankles.

Free of the visible seam of her subconscious, she flipped her customary braid over her shoulder. It felt good now, not having that feeling of the portals manifesting themselves out of some rift splitting her apart, not to mention the knives appearing at her mental command, dancing around her fingertips again.

Of course, this all happened behind the far, far diminished Shadow King as he was having his meltdown. There was a reason she had been saving her grand re-appearance, after all. She grabbed one of her Displacement Knives firmly, and thrust it into Fourie's back. "I didn't want to do that, you understand?" She exhaled into his ear. "There was another way out of this - or did you delude yourself so badly you thought there was only one path forward?" Indeed, Clarice sounded sad as she posed the question - murder wasn't something she liked. But it was going to be murder one way or another, wasn't it? Either the Professor's and the X-Men's - or Fourie's.

She'd have to deal with where that thought lead later, though.

Team d6, Mercurial Moods d8, Weapon d8, Covert Master d10, Fourie's Stress d12

@LifeGetsWorser: 1d12+1d10+2d8+1d6 Backstabbing the King = (10)+(9)+(2+5)+(4) = 30

Should be a 19 with a d8 Effect to push his Stress over!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marvel Girl
PP: 0 | XP: 3

Marvel Girl frowns. She's tempted to drag out her past trauma and just drive it like a wedge into his mind to try and just drag him down into oblivion. And moments ago, she might have done that, while it seemed like he still had the power. But like this? Well. He just needs to go down, and then Xavier can make that choice. Or others will. This is about defeat now, not about execution.

Of course, that doesn't meant she's going easy.

"Adonis... this isn't about you. Xorn used you. Maybe you'll wake up one day and realize that." A slight pause. "Or not. Doesn't make much difference to me. This isn't about you. It never was."

And with that, she lashes out with her telepathy, just slamming her will into his, trying to break his ego with both words and power. Nothing sophisticated, just keeping him wrong-footed on every level... on the level only she here can work on.

Trying to inflict mental stress on the Shadow King with Psychic Powerhouse: Team d10; Flight Over Flight d8; Psychic Blast d8; Mutant Alpha d10; Psych Expert d8; Psychic Powerhouse d6; Mental Stress 1d10 = 16 with a 1d12 effect and 1 opportunity.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 5->2 | XP: 21 | Asset: d12 On The (Psychic) Scent

Wolverine cracks her knuckles and grins as the tables turn. She did somewhat miss the aesthetic, it certainly had a particular style to it, but the X-suits were hardly as drafty. Adonis is in for a treat now, and she has just the right dramatically ironic way to deliver. He thinks it's funny to root around in her head? Throw phantoms from her past at her? That's not something she's about to let stand without a fight. And... well, if he liked messing with it so much...

As Blink strikes from behind and Marvel Girl locks wills with Adonis, Wolverine goes for the direct approach: she runs up, grabs him, and slams her head — or at least the mental concept of it — straight into his. He wants to peek at her past? He's welcome to it. All of it. And from the way he's already floundering... well, it's sure as poo poo that's not going to help him have a good day. The psychic static would, at the least, open him up for everyone else to finish the psychic off. And at the most? That sounds like a recipe for total, catastrophic psyche collapse. Or whatever the hell real-deal psychics call it.

She growls, "Say hi to Ten for me." She rears back and slams it into him again. "And Adonis? Hope you don't get lost in there."

Dice: d8 Team, d8 Mysterious Past, d8 Enhanced Reflexes, d10 Psychic Resistance, d10 Superhuman Senses (SFX), d10 Menace Master, d12 On The (Psychic) Scent, d12 Emotional Stress.

Inflict Stress on Adonis [SFX Reroll]: 3#1d8 4 4 5 3#1d10 3 4 3 2#1d12 6 8

Triggered Feral Cunning to add Superhuman Senses to the roll. Spending two PP to keep 21 with a d12+ (stepped up from Fearsome) effect to inflict Emotional stress.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The glow of Adonis had faded, flickering like a faulty light as he wheezed for imaginary breath. He was on his knees, defeated, but the hate in his eyes hadn't dimmed a bit. They seemed to be glowing as bright as ever.

"It's over, Adonis," said the Professor, walking forward and crouching to look Adonis directly in the face. "But I'm not you. I'm not going to kill you. But you're not going to interfere in anyone's life ever again."

Adonis croaked out a low, guttural laugh. "Well, Charles... I have to hand it to you... even in victory, you're still the same... idiot!"

He pushed the Professor down as he rose up, a shining door appearing next to him. Within a split second he had it thrown open, still laughing.

"Think I'll be borrowing one of those students of yours, Charles!" He called out, diving through it. His laughter was cut off as the door disappeared behind him... but was replaced with a lighter, drier laugh from the Professor, who was getting to his feet with a smile on his face.

"Not to worry," he said, and everything slid out of focus. It was the study again, the real study in the real, waking world. Everyone was where they had been, but time had clearly passed along. The sun was close to setting, and both Forge and Dr. Reyes were now there.

There was a device of some sort attached to the Professor's head, connected by cables to a metal container that was sitting on his desk. It seemed to be some sort of containment unit, and through the slim glass window that showed the inside, there was something in there.

"It worked then, old friend?" The Professor asked, unclipping the device from his head. Forge rapped his artificial knuckles against the side of the jar.

"One way trip, just like a lobster trap," he said. "He's not getting out of there unless we let him."

Dr. Reyes slumped back against the wall and ran a hand over her forehead. "Never scare me like that again, either of you."

"How did I scare you?" Forge sounded nonplussed. Dr. Reyes narrowed her eyes at him.

"Today has been stressful enough and then you ran into my office with power tools screaming 'I need your brain', Adam."

"I wasn't screaming," muttered Forge. "I was just in a hurry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane

The world shifted. She felt real, powerful, but the wolf tugged at her even stronger then before. And she found herself struggling to breath as the weight of scents assaulted her. The fight was over before she could even gain her footing. Her breath caught in her throat again as Adonis made his last gambit!

But then they were back in the study. It was over.

It was over.

Rene slumped. Suddenly feeling very very tired. She stuck her tongue out. Letting her wolven panting help cool her down. Who knew how much effort went into Psychic battling. She sighed, and lent ever so slightly over. Her head resting against Wolverine's- She jumped back up into a sitting position, the heavy scents of her fellow mutant creating an interesting reaction inside of her somewhere between respect and attraction. Attempting to offer a garbled apology. Her wolf tongue too large to actually get words around. Instead her face made a valiant effort to match the shade of her hair. Shifting her tongue back into one that could actually speak English.

"S-Sorry!"