Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Jean Grey
PP: 0 | XP: 3

"I could use the tips.", Jean says plainly. "Was just trying to lighten things up, but... I get the point." She shakes her head slightly. "It took me a long time to really get a hang on my telepathy... you missed out on some tough times. If it all seems easy now, it really... wasn't. And isn't. People can't tell because my power's less visible than most. Which is usually pretty privileged for me, I know. But it also makes my struggles less visible, too."

She rubs her head. "I'm not trying to compare, I just know it what it can be like working with a power that has a mind of its own. So to speak."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee
PP: 5 | XP: 6

Three Weeks Ago...

"Uh, thanks?" Lee isn't really sure how to take Clarice's offer. Not that it isn't... nice? But it's odd coming from someone she hadn't said two words to before today.

"And, honestly?" She turns to Pyotr. "Don't think I'll have an answer for you till I'm there." She gives a sincere-if-half-hearted shrug. "Sorry."

Lee watches the horizon, as, for once far away from her, the sun sets on her room.

---

Present!

If nothing else, the past three weeks had certainly proven Clarice's sincerity. And resourcefulness. Lee regretted letting her inside her room to chat that first evening the moment the first 'BLUNK' interrupted her reading. Still... it wasn't the worst to have someone to talk to. Two years is a long time with no one to talk to, and these three weeks went by at least a little faster for the company.

Having a focus certainly helped too, though. Clarice's usefulness wasn't lost on Lee; a friend who can take you to and from anywhere is a big help, even before you factor in being a known mutant criminal who wanted to investigate something on the opposite coast. She hadn't asked for anything yet, of course. That was what she had been focused on; finding out where exactly she wanted to go. Criminal research, map-searching, facebook stalking old 'friends'; there's a lot you can accomplish from the comfort of your own room thanks to the internet.

She might have had something, were it not for the new time drain of being an X-Man. Training was... fine. The rest of the team tended to give her enough of her distance, and Lee could appreciate that as much as anything. And it felt alright to be active again, for something other than survival, after so long. The biggest issue was Ms. Wagner, and the interest she'd taken in Lee as a Predator protege. Whatever the reason, her one eye apparently saw something in Lee, and so she kept her climbing the ropes, trying to teach her how to blend into the shadows and really sneak. Lee wasn't always good at the patience part of that, or the 'no powers' part, but she couldn't just tell Ms. Wagner no, could she?

Today, Lee walks down the hall to Clarice's room. Her room had been surprisingly 'blunk' free recently, which would usually be nice, except that today she finally could use the other girl's assistance. And so, Lee finds herself knocking at someone else's room door for the first time in two years. "Hey," she calls through the door. "Uh, I've got something I... need your help with."

"I mean, if you're in there, even," she mumbles to herself as she steps back, glancing nervously up and down the hall for any sign of other people.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Blink
PP: 1|XP: 2| Stress:

It might've been the fact that Lee didn't really get to back up before the door swung open that gave away just how bored Clarice was, or the fact that when she popped her head out the now opened crack that Blink's eyes were lit up and her grin was wide, but regardless, it was pretty obvious she was jonesing for something to do.

"Hi!" She says with a fair degree of her general exuberance, a bit too suddenly manic to really tone it down for Lee like she had been trying to the past few weeks. "What sort of help - need to uh...get somewhere? Or like...moving furniture?" She wrinkles her nose up in distaste at the last suggestion. But that was fine, it was doubtful it was that.

Wasn't it?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Storm
PP: 1 | XP: 2 | Stress

Kia sits down on the chair next to Jane's, and takes a sip of her own drink, "Ah, that's right. You fought with the Brotherhood before, yea?" Propping an elbow on her knee, she leans her head on her hand, and asks Jane, "What were they like? Is it true that their members are all brainwashed by Xorn?" There's no doubt in Kia's mind that, now that she's an official X-man, she'll be running into them sooner or later, so it might benefit her to know a little more about them.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee

Lee is regretting this already. "No, it's- Can't we just do this in your room?" She sighs, quickly glances up and down the hall, confirming there's at least no one else within earshot.

Leaning in towards the door, Lee continues in a hushed tone. "I- I want to dye my hair again."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Wolverine
PP: 4 | XP: 13->14

Jane makes an uncertain motion with her hand. She says, "I guess, at least that's what Mastermind thinks. If you ask me, I think it's maybe a bit of that and a lot of Xorn offering them something they can't get anywhere else. Acceptance, a sense of purpose, a sense of belonging to something real and important. Maybe he got his hooks in them from the mind poo poo, but that's what keeps them. I've seen the like on the streets, 'specially when I was with the FOB." She takes a sip of her drink. "I'd probably still be there if the Professor hadn't come looking for me."

1xp for talking about that mysterious past!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"I don't like thinking about Xorn," piped up Rita, somewhat awkwardly. She'd been terrified during the broadcast hijack, and even now she'd gotten better with her powers, she still didn't really rate herself as on the same level as any of the team, let alone Xorn. She never said as much out loud, but it was pretty clear. "I guess you guys have to like... discuss him for your... hero stuff, but I still think he's scary and I'd rather not remind myself he exists. Or those jerks from the mall."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane
PP: 1 | XP: 11 | Complications:

"Hey, not every superhero has to fight bad guys to save the day, Rita." Rene says. "You can go to places we can't even dream of. You can save lives in places I'd be useless. Jane especially. I mean, you've seen what happens when she gets into the pool, right?" she stage whispers the second half of that, winking conspiratorially. "Xorn is just one of those jerk bullies who let his powers go to his head. Just you wait, Colossus is going to sit on him, and we're going to post the whole thing to Social media. Let's see how big a threat he is when he's getting clowned on by the entire internet."

She started to crawl towards Rita on all fours, shifting into her wolf mode. It looked kinda comical, a wolf dressed in a one piece bathing suit. But at least Rene had prepared ahead an added a hole for her tail. She scooped up Rita onto her back. Rita was an A+ S-Rank Mythic ear scratcher. And nothing beat a good ear scratch after a swim. What? You've never tried it? Oh man, you're missing out! Tail Wagging, Rene and the Wolf settled down to the blissful glory of their post-work out warm down.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Storm

"Ah, sorry, Rita. I didn't mean to bring up such an uncomfortable subject. Consider it dropped!" There is more that Kia wants to ask, and know, about the Brotherhood, but that can always wait for later. "So! Let's talk about something a little more fun, yea? Rita, I know you wanna check out that chess game, but do you girls have any other plans while we're out there in the big city?" Kia lays back on her chair, and says, "Me? I wanna do something big and wild. Something memorable." And probably something that won't put them in mortal danger, too.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink

For a second, it seemed inevitable that some sort of high pitched squeal was going to come out of Clarice's mouth judging by the amount of awed grin that was plastered to her face at her friend's comment. But she managed to contain herself long enough to grab Lee's arm and pull her into her room.

"Omigod really!? Are you thinking the electric blue like how I said or did another color catch your eye or maybe it's like a rainbow or like you could do like different metallic tones or maybe something with gemstones we could like tie gemstones into the hair and you'd be all sparkly~!" She was speaking at like, a mile a minute, clearly a bit manic at the revelation that Lee was asking for her assistance with this, out of any potential thing.

"We can totally get whatever color you want, totally, not a problem. And then, I can totally dye it for you, that'll be so much fun. Did you like, want to change the style too or just the color, because your style is like, classic and totally badass and everything but at the same time - would you not look super cute with a pixie cut?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 4 | XP: 13->14

Jane looks at her sandaled feet, then sighs, "I think I need to go shoe shopping." She, somehow, manages to make this sound worse than apocalyptic battles with the fate of human (and mutant!) kind on the line. "Stupid foot claws."

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee

With an undignified 'urk', Lee is at last granted at least the dignity of continuing their conversation in privacy, as she's tugged through the door. She tries to interject before her... friend gets going, but gives up after "I jus-" and purses her lips until Clarice is finished. "Okay," she responds after a sigh. "We are not cutting my hair." She runs a hand through her hair. "I just want to dye some of it something bright, so that Ms. Wagner might lay off me with Predator training."

"I- I don't know what color, though," she continues, after a moment's silence, looking just to the side of Clarice's head as a pained expression threatens to emerge from her stocism. "So I... thought... you could help me."

"Plus I-" Lee purses her lips once more, gaze casually-but-pointedly shifting downwards. "I've never been much good at it on my own."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink

"Psh, don't sweat it!" Clarice waves a hand dismissively at Lee's paucity of assurance. "Like I said, there's lots we can do - ooh, did you know they have dye now for darker hair? I bet we could get you some of that so we don't even have to bleach you - of course, that would make the colors erh...deeper. So maybe bleach is the way to go."

"Okay, okay." She says, calming herself down as she invaded her friend's personal space and examined her hair closely. "So then, with your complexion - which, by the way, we have to get you some sun at some point...I think a blue base, maybe. Or maybe like, a blonde patch. Blonde would even take less time since it'd be just...bleaching it, right? But nah, that's not you.

I'd say pink but then everyone would think you're trying to copy me, so no. Maybe like, a white streak? Sometimes that looks cool - or silver!" She paused, realizing she was cartwheeling off into a non-decision, again. "The point is, we're spoiled for choices. But something bright is maybe something neon. So, I think we start there, maybe decide on the specific hue once we get there, and go with that, yeah?"

Reaching over Lee's head, Blink fetches her coat from the back of the door - stain free, too. Whether that was because she managed to wash the paint out or because she...ahem...acquired another of the same sort, was a mystery since Clarice wasn't telling. "So, up for an excursion, then?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Pyotr
PP: 1| XP: 5

Pete had never struggled with a power before. Sure, he'd made mistakes but he'd never been in a situation where a power wasn't doing more or less exactly what he wanted it to do. He pointed a finger at another tennis ball sailing through the air, squinted and let fly with another bolt. It went wide. It felt like lightning almost had a travel time when he was using it. Or he was compensating for a lack of travel time. Or something. Basically, he was cooking up an excuse for himself.

He looked over at Jean and shrugged. "I can give tips," he said with a shrug before the self same tennis ball as before was launched back into the air.

He threw another bolt towards it, missing again. Okay, that time he was just slow on the uptake. He had lightning in him now, but that didn't mean he was lightning fast. Hell, if anything he felt slower. Distracted. He felt charge build up in his arm once more. His eyes went from a dull blue to almost neon.

"You have good cardio but you need to work on your core strength. If you want, I can teach you proper lifting? I promise you will not end out looking like lady Schwarzenegger," he teased. "Trust me. It is fun in a- what is it Jane calls it? Terrible, not at all fun kind of way?" he said with a loud, barrel-chested laugh.

Another tennis ball into the sky and- this time He swung a fist for it; pointing and shooting wasn't working because he just wasn't any good at it so, instead, he'd go with what he knew. A huge, arcing curve of bright white-and-blue lightning followed behind his hand, cutting through the air. It turns out that you don't need to be precise when you can just tesla-coil a ninety degree arc in front of you. The tennis ball fell to the ground with a thud, smoke coming off it. The smell of fried electronics and ozone filled the air.

"More like that, I think."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The following week:

A chess tournament, no matter how big, was not going to get too much press coverage. But a public appearance by Charles Xavier, self-proclaimed mutant? That was a different story, a story with more chances to get a juicy soundbite that could get played and replayed for the next month.

"Have you always been a fan of chess, Professor? Do your mutant abilities give you an edge?"

"If anything, they make me worse at it," said the Professor with a weary smile. Without taking his eyes off the journalists vying for his attention, his psychic voice spoke out in the heads of all his students. This may take some time, go ahead and get settled. I'll catch up when I can. Rita, since it's your birthday, you're in charge.

"Worse? How does that work?" The journalist asked, oblivious to the mental missive that had just gone out, and not to clear on the basics of mutation either.

"I wasn't aware that being good at chess was an unexploited ecological niche," the Professor continued, to a few polite laughs. Rita ushered everyone on as best she could to the main event hall, which managed to be at least as glamorous as you might expect a chess championship to be. Possibly more, if you had very low expectations.

There were about six rows of stadium-style seating that had been set up, facing a set of eight small tables, each one with two chairs on either side and a chess board set up on top. There were screens behind each table, presumably to show a close-up of the board as the matches progressed for the benefit of those in the back rows.

"We get seats up front because of the Professor's... leg... situation..." Rita explained awkwardly in hushed tones. She cringed at her own words. "Because he's in a wheelchair. Sorry. I'm nervous. Front row seats!"

It wasn't a packed room, at least not yet. Perhaps people were being held up by the media circus that the Professor had unintentionally attracted. But there were a few people already in seats, a few photographers setting up, and a small number of, presumably, competitors standing around and making idle conversation with each other. Not the full roster, since there were only enough there to fill half the tables at best. None of them looking all that familiar to any of the team.

But Rita recognised them, judging by the way she tapped Pyotr excitedly on the leg. "Pete! Look! That's Amadeus Cho!"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pyotr

If it wasn't a birthday, he'd probably not be here. His sister played chess and had even taken a few regional championships. He'd played with her when he could but pretty quickly it became apparent that she was operating on a whole other level from him and it was akin to giving your younger brother a controller that's not plugged in to play along with. He'd even tried playing with Rita a few times after much nagging from her but that'd gone pretty poorly too. He'd pushed Rita towards Sarah to play; she was a tactician really, so chess should have been a good fit. Being at a tournament now? It kind of sucked being there without Illyanna. He hadn't valued the time they had together in the past because it was just chess and he had more important things to deal with but, right then and there, he'd kill to be able to spend just a little bit more time with her.

He walked with Rita and the others that'd been pulled into the girls gravity and stood next to her. She tugged at him, tapped and pointed. Who was Cho? Someone important?

He looked like a chess nerd. Skinny, slick back hair, big glasses. Pete had chased a great many guys like that away from his sister when she went to tournaments. He'd just walk up behind them, clear his throat and that tended to break up conversations pretty fast. "You want to meet him?" asked Pete.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Jean Grey
PP: 0 | XP: 3

Looking around, Jean tensed a little more than usual. Maybe it was the exposure. Granted, she'd always argued against the school being secret, but the reality was sinking in. If they were with Xavier, it wouldn't be that hard to draw the lines.

Not that chess was an alien world to her. She'd played with the Professor sometimes - it made for a good control exercise to manage a number of pieces with telekinesis at once - but she wasn't a master by any stretch. "I'm guessing he wins a lot more than he loses.", she says to Rita. She rubbed her neck self-consciously. Felt like it was going to be a long day. Chess? Not that bad. Watching other people play chess? Not something she'd really considered before.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
If it was possible for an expression to be both excitement and panic at the same time, then Rita had managed it.

"We can't just go over there," she hissed, eyes wide. Luckily Jean's observation distracted her from that idea, and she swivelled around with enthusiasm. "Oh he's really good, very unpredictable in his strategies. Probably one of the best defensive players around right now, you know. I really want to see his match against Emma Frost."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pyotr

"Why not?" asked Pyotr looking down at Rita. Of course, he knew the answer but sometimes it was fun to play dumb.

Maybe when Rita wasn't looking, he'd head over there and see if he could get Cho to come talk to the birthday girl...

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine
PP: 4 | XP: 14

Chess tournaments, much like nerd poo poo the world over, tend towards a specific type. Jane is very much not that type. At the best of times, she looks a little out of place in civilian life, and today is no different. She's got a pretty non-descript outfit on, rocking the classic jeans and jacket combo, and her sneakers have a tasteful (?) spot of duct tape on the tips where foot claw mishaps had clearly occurred. Jane gives the assembled competitors a once-over with her superhuman senses. The melange of sound and scent that fills the room is something of a reassuring presence these days and, if nothing else, it'd make her feel more than a little better to know that there weren't any surprise guns or bizarre threats lurking among the nerds. She pays careful attention to Cho, more out of secondhand curiosity than any expectation of him being interesting, since Rita pointed him out.

She says, "Speaking of, where is Frost? Things are supposed to be starting soon, right?"

Tricky fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 13, 2018

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane

Smells, so many smells! But Rene was on her best behaviour, even if that bin seems super interesting! (The junk food around here is- oh my god I could die) But she was here for Rita. She'd have preferred to be in her wolf form. But the Professor had been clear that, no matter how good her puppy dog eyes, she was unmistakably a huge wolf.

Some things were going to take more time than just a TV interview to fix.

So instead, she settled into her seat. Eyeing the young man with interest. Smoothing out the creases of her green summer dress.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 13, 2018

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Because!" Rita blurted out, swinging back around to face Pyotr. "We're not supposed to! What if we put him off or something and he loses and it's all my fault?"

Cho seemed engrossed enough talking with a young woman in a hijab, possibly one of the other chess players. Even though he looked a bit nerdy, he wore it well. He was wearing a suit without a tie, and had some carefully-mussed hair that had maybe been the height of fashion a decade ago, but wasn't so bad at present.

"I'm sure she'll be here soon, look! That's her manager," added Rita, very carefully not pointing at the bored-looking man with a goatee and more fashion sense than Cho. He had elected to look at his phone rather than engage in conversation. "I think his name's Dominic... something. He doesn't play chess, though."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pyotr

If he loses because he had a conversation before a match then he deserves to lose, thinks Pyotr. He takes a breath and nods down at Rita. "Alright. Maybe after, then," he said. He looked Dominic Something over briefly and shook his head. Why did a chess player need a manager that looked like a stereotype of a manager? Also, shouldn't he be managing rather than just- standing around looking like he didn't want to be there?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Storm

With the way Kia came dressed today, she almost looks more like she's going to a punk rock concert than a chess tournament. As if the mohawk wasn't enough, the weather-controlling gear also has a black, sleeveless denim jacket on, and a Misfits shirt underneath it. She's also wearing black, leather jeans that look a little torn up, combat boots, and spiked bracelets, making her stick out from the rest of the crowd. "A manager? Never heard of a chess player having a manger before," speaks up Kia, as she looks at the direction of Dominic, "Then again, I guess if you're a big a deal as the Ice Queen, it's not that unusual to have one." It almost makes her wonder what kind of person Frost is. How do you gain so much popularity by playing chess, of all things?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane

"Maybe she's got supermodel good looks?" Rene reasoned. "It would make sense to have a manager if people wanted you to advertise their products."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"She is very pretty," confided Rita in a small voice, "and I think they kind of wanted to exploit that. I guess it's not every day you have a grandmaster who– ah! There she is!"

Rita wasn't wrong, Emma Frost was very pretty. But in a calculated sort of way. She looked like she'd just waltzed out of some expensive boarding school, in knee socks, skirt and jacket combo. But it must have been an effortlessly casual waltz, because she gave the impression that everything she did was effortless and casual. The way she confidently walked in, breezed past her manager and went right up to Cho. How she touched his shoulder, smiled, ran one hand through her platinum blonde hair to push it back over her shoulder. She didn't just look like a movie star, she behaved like one. Or was she acting like one?

Cho certainly seemed taken by surprise at the way she had glided up to him, a visible blush on his face. Maybe it was just part of her strategy, to dazzle her opponents as much as her audience, to play mind games before even taking a seat, let alone moving a pawn. As Cho navigated his way through small talk, she was listening to him... but not looking at him. She was looking right at the front row of the audience.

"Oh my gosh, she's looking right at me!" Rita squealed as softly as any star-struck kid could squeal. But she was wrong. Emma Frost was looking right at Pyotr... and then she waved.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pyotr

Pyotr just stood there and his jaw slackened. He blinked.

It didn't take a telepath to realise he'd been floored by something. His hands clenched into fists, his eyes screwed up and - Jean could see into his mind. He was playing out a hundred scenarios where he beat the living poo poo out of everyone in the room and brought the blonde back to the mansion. Anyone that got in his way, in his minds eye at least, ended out broken and beaten.

He took a step towards her. And then another. And then another. "Что ты здесь делаешь?"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The manager detached himself from the wall in a hurry, putting his phone away. He approached Pyotr with a weary smile that suggested that he'd had to do this before. "Ah, hey, slow down there buddy. Let's not crowd anyone."

"Oh, Dom, don't be such a wet blanket," said Emma out loud, pushing past Cho. She looked sidelong at her manager, and then at Pyotr. "This isn't a fanboy situation, I actually know this guy."

"How the heck does Pete know Emma Frost?!" Rita whispered loudly, looking to the rest of the X-Men for some sort of clue.

"Since when?" Dominic asked, wrinkling his nose at the thought.

"Why, Dom! I'm shocked you don't remember," she said, looking up at Pyotr, and then ever-so-slightly inclining her head to one side, and glancing in her manager's direction again. "Doesn't the name Thomasz remind you of anything?"

"Should it?" Dominic sized up Pyotr. "Let me guess... fitness model?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pyotr

Pyotr looked at the woman and then at the man. He looked back at her and then back at him.

"You are going to walk away from here, and not come back. If you do not, I will hit you so hard you'll be making GBS threads teeth."

Well.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink

Clarice was bored.

This was boring.

She had her elbows on her knees and her chin in the palms of her hands. One leg was jittering up and down for lack of anything better to do, a big ball of nervous energy with absolutely no outlet. Chess was...totally not her game. Anything that required sitting still for long periods of time was not her game, really. Didn't help that beyond Pyotr and Lee she still hadn't really made actual friends with any of the other students. She had figured that coming to this whole chess thing would be a good way to get to know everybody else but all it really told her, so far, is that people really liked that Emma girl and that Amadeous boy.

To be fair, the Emma girl was pretty, and Clarice was sure that they were both talented but, meh...skill does not excitement make. She didn't doubt that people mind find some things that Clarice was good at really boring to watch (as if), after all.

Of course, Pyotr starting to...whatever was happening...at the Frost girl, was somewhat interesting. So Clarice stopped jittering and poked Lee, who had also been pretty quiet, in the side, to get her attention to.

She pointed at the developing fracas and inclined her head once she had the other girl's attention.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

The sudden stop of Clarice's leg skittering against her own draws a wry look from Jane. The fidgeting is unavoidable when you end up sitting next to her and, indeed, to Jane's heightened senses she's practically crackling with pent-up energy. Of course, it's little mystery why she stopped. Nobody could miss the big, angry Russian poo poo-talking the figurative belle of the ball. Jane mutters to Clarice, quiet enough to avoid drawing notice from onlookers but not enough to hide the light-hearted nature of the comment, "Careful what you wish for, Blink, you never know what kind of crazy poo poo's gonna go down when we're out of the institute. And..." Jane can't help but smirk a bit. "...five bucks says he follows through."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blink
PP: 1|XP: 3| Stress:

Blink peered up at Jane's smirking face from beneath the hoodie she was wearing, wide-eyed. (She had been wearing the hoodie mostly to avoid from drawing attention to the group - at least, that was the stated goal. A pink girl with glowing green eyes was going to cause a few heads to turn that she was sure the rest of the group would rather avoid.) Honestly, the more that Clarice thought of it the less she really wanted to see Pyotr deck the guy, or anything.

That was going to draw the wrong sort of attention, which made her swallow, hard, at the thought. The wrong sort of attention was bad for the team and especially for her (and the team, again, through her). She had only just robbed the bank a few weeks before showing up, after all, or well, tried to, so being out in public IN New York was likely a bad idea. Again, pink skin and glowing green eyes is why she generally operated as an INTERNATIONAL thief. Less chance of exposure.

Still, it wouldn't do to worry anyone, so she returned Wolverine's smile after a moment and extended her hand, giggling. "Deal! But only because I think he's got more self-control than you give him credit for."

Still, part of her automatically disliked Emma Frost (due to her drawing Pyotr's attention in YET ANOTHER direction no reason she could think of), so maybe...maybe the guy getting decked would be worth it.

Claiming an xp for being excited about the bet despite the REALLY bad idea that escalating things that Clarice considers this.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene - Wolfsbane
PP: 1 | XP: 12 | Complications:

Rene's nose flared as Frost's perfume hit her. Only barely hiding the snuffle. She played it off like she had to sneeze. But she could feel the dominant aura pouring off of Frost from her seat. But it was nothing like the animalistic power of Jane. No, it was more subtle. Like the current under the water. Subtle. She was already working over the- Where was Pyotr going...?

"We... We don't need to do anything, right?" I glance over to Jane and Clarice. Huh, was was that expression on Clarice's face...? Was she feeling defensive towards Pyotr? It would make sense, she, Pyotr, and Lee had formed a pack of their own, it was only natural she'd want to defend him, Rene thought.

- - - -

+1 XP for "when you relate to other humans with instincts that you have taken from your wolf form."

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Lee

Settling into her seat, Lee reaches up to adjust one of her earbuds, keeping her head down and face hidden as much as possible. She regretted letting Clarice convince her it was a good idea to join the rest of the group on this trip almost as much as she regretted her new hair, but there wasn't anything to do about either of those things but wait till it was over, so a retreat into the cave of music it was! Who even wants to watch-

"Urf." Lee's ratty old hand-me-down hoodie is little protection against Clarice's prod in the ribs, which jolts her from her trance. She turns, glancing up-

And immediately looking back down as she realizes Pyotr is drawing all the attention to them. Well, him, but he's with the rest of us, and they recognized him, and he's been doing the press circuit, so they know he's a mutant, and- oh good he's threatening them now! "So much for human-mutant relations," Lee mumbles absentmindedly as she shields her head with her hands, staring at her jeans, mind racing in panic at her immediate proximity to a public mutant debacle, and trying with every fiber of her being to remain innocuous.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The manager took a small, startled step backwards, but then looked angry. Or at least as angry as he could manage under the circumstances. "Now hold up one second there, Tommy or whatever your name was. I might not be your size but I'm sure as hell not going to let you threaten me or my client here."

"Tempers are running a little high here, I must admit we did not part under the best of circumstances," interjected Emma, holding up her hands. She had a taut, frustrated smile. "But that's all in the past now, let's focus on the now and not do anything hasty, ok?"

"Go take your seat and we'll forget about this," said Dominic to Pyotr, but his eyes kept flicking over to look at Emma.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pyotr

A step backwards was a good start. If he just kept walking, what happened next wouldn't have happened. The moment that Dominic moved to open his mouth, Pete lunged at him, a huge meaty hand grabbing the guy by the chest. He barely got through the word 'now' before the Russian's forehead met the managers. There was a smack-crunch sound as Pyotr just drove his forehead into the man's skull. He tightened his grip on the mans shirt and shot his hands forwards, sending Dominic flying backwards in more or less a straight line. The manager hit a table, the interference in his flightpath sending him cartwheeling. Dominic pinwheeled a few times before losing all of his momentum suddenly due to a collision with a plaster wall. He slid down into a heap, the plaster wall behind him cracked.

"I did say he could just walk away," he said to the blonde. "Do not blame yourself for anything that happened. Is that clear?" He moved to take her by the shoulder in his left hand, holding her still and steady. Every time she budged he moved his hand with her. She wasn't going anywhere.

Colossus turned on the spot, seeing the crowd looking, a few slackened jaws. "Wolverine, get the Professor. Blink, we are leaving. Marvel Girl, run interference."

He reached down to a table, grabbed a chess board and stalked over towards Cho. "Sign this for the little girl. Write 'Happy Birthday, Rita.' Don't gently caress me around, I am in no mood."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Wolverine

There's a brief moment where, despite Jane's earlier jokes, she's honestly shocked by how fast Pete goes from zero to one-hundred. Her eyes lock with Blink's as she mouths 'five dollars' and then it's all action from there. She gets up, a quick hand on Rene and Kia's shoulder as she looks meaningfully at Rita, then walks purposefully towards where the Professor was, assumedly, still doing the full press experience. Thinking purposefully at him, she attempts to prep him for the sudden exit before she gets there, "Hey, Professor. Pete just put Frost's manager into the wall and is, uh, basically kidnapping her. I guess. They must have history or something, but... well. Thinking that the chess outing's coming to an early end, y'know? I'm headed your way now."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Oh my God, it takes forever for you to catch on, doesn't it?" Emma Frost sighed, and swatted the back of her hand playfully against Pyotr's chest. "I seriously thought I was going to have to take matters into my own hands for a second there. Don't scare me like that, you big ox."

She didn't seem at all concerned for the well-being of her manager, who was groaning enough to reassure everyone he was still alive, if not necessarily happy about it. In fact, while Pyotr was acting super-possessive of her, she was fussing over him like he was a new pet, leaning this way and that to get a better look at him.

"What is going on here?" Rita said quietly, eyes wide and completely confused. She wasn't the only one baffled by the sudden turn of events. Everyone else was staring silently, some open-mouthed in shock.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pyotr

Pete squeezed the blonde's shoulder tighter when she spoke to him. "Я не собираюсь госпитализировать кого-то только потому, что вы указываете на них," he muttered. "И я сразу поймал. Я пытаюсь дать людям шанс уйти в эти дни."

He looked over at Rita and hated the expression on her face but, right now, there was something more important to him than her feelings. Hell, there was something more important than the team. He had a new priority zero.

He pushed the chessboard into Cho's chest. "Sign the board. Now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Rene

"Is she..." Rene's hackles raised. This wasn't right. Alarm bells were ringing in her head. The big guy wasn't acting like himself at all. And Frost seemed way too comfortable with this...

"Oh goddess! Is she controlling him?" Rene said. Eyes wide at the thought of having to try and stop Colossus.