Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Ooh, Godzilla! Frog was excited for the movie night. While Godzilla in particular wasn't a major focus of hers, she did
get her start on horror movies from a family Halloween movie night, watching the 1933 classic King Kong. She'd offered Godzilla Vs. King Kong, but not very loudly, which is probably why it didn't get picked. The idea of giant monsters rampaging that are ultimately stopped either by other giant monsters or human ingenuity is just fascinating though, and now that she's, well, more than human, the idea hits a little closer to home now.

Unfortunately, instead of a fun movie night, the events were cut short by someone deciding to hijack the broadcast and talk about how humans vs 'children of the atom' was an inevitability, and seemingly wanting to fan the flames of a full-on...what type of war would this be? A gene war? Something to ponder, along with the significance of the M and the name 'Xorn.' Regardless of their intentions, assuming this broadcasted to more than just their home, things were going to get a great deal more difficult, and that is not okay.

The commotion following the broadcast got her thinking. Now's as good a chance as any to try chipping in. "I-I can go find him! I can cover a lot of ground, so it shouldn't take very long at all. Plus someone needs to keep order around here, and you'd probably be better at that than I would," she says, trying to maintain eye contact with Sarah. "I won't be long! He's probably in one of the studies, anyway!"

Without really giving much of an opportunity to confirm or deny the plan beyond an "okay" or a "wait!," Donna hunches herself over and gets ready to leap out in search of their headmaster.

quote:

Identity
Donna Fraccione aka Frog (Public)

Affiliations
Solo D6
Buddy D8
Team D10

Distinctions
(It's Not Easy) Being Green
Frog in the throat
Hop to it!

Frog Mutation
Amphibian Control D10
Enhanced Reflexes D8
Enhanced Strength D8
Leaping D10
Stretching D6
SFX: Tongue. When inflicting a restraint complication on a target using Stretching, add a D6 and up the effect die.
SFX: Multipower Add more than one Frog Mutation power die to a pool. Step back each Frog Mutation power in that pool by one step for each die beyond the first.
Limit: Mutant. Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant-specific Milestones and Tech.
Limit: Vulnerability. Earn 1 PP if you step up emotional stress inflicted by low self-esteem.

Specialties
Acrobatics Master D10
Combat Expert D8
Psych Expert D8

Milestones
"I'm no rookie!"
1 XP when you try to establish that no, this is not your fault and you do matter on this team.
3 XP when you use your Powers to create an asset for an ally or aid an ally in an Action Scene in order to prove your worth.
10 XP when the term "Rookie" no longer means anything to you, or you become the colossal screw-up you always thought everyone thought you were.

A real ray of sunshine
1 XP when you reassure someone that everything's fine or will be fine.
3 XP when you successfully turn a bad situation around in spite of naysayers.
10 XP when you make someone a believer in optimism, or become a cynic just like all the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Whooooops! Guess I jumped the gun! Not even two hops in, Frog is met with confirmation that her task is pointless and just shuffles her way back, before having to shuffle in the opposite direction just as she reaches it, because the new objective is the meeting room. And now the mood really sets in, with several of her fellow students either frustrated or terrified. Who could blame them, though? Considering what just happened, and how they're now being asked to, effectively, take cover underground and discuss a plan of action, not that there was one right now.

Okay, let's try to be pragmatic, Donna. You don't know if anything's going to be fine, nor are you really the leader type, but at the same time, these folks need something, anything to get them off of the funk they're in now. Take a deep breath, put a hand on them, try to smile, and say something good without screwing it up! With an exaggerated breath in, Donna puts a hand on one of these students, gives her best attempt at a smile, and speaks. "It's okay. We're all here together, right? In what may as well be the safest house we've likely ever been in. If something wants to get to you, it'd have to get through all of us, simultaneously. Have a little faith in this place, okay?" She tilts her head for emphasis and hopes she can exhale in the next half-minute or so.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Donna fidgets in her seat, trying to piece together every scrap of information from the conversation so far. A former student joins up with some guy with a mutant superiority complex, uses their abilities to broadcast said guy's message to every screen ever, is likely at this one place that would super amplify the reach of their powers. Easy enough. The next question being, what to do about them? "Professor, if I may...what do you want us to do about them, besides stop the broadcast? I mean, about this 'Hijack' and anyone with them? I mean obviously they probably won't let us cut the feed without some kind of fight, but, um..." She pushes her index fingers together, trying to not look away as she continues. "I'm just wondering what we do with them if push comes to shove and we come out on top. Hand them off to the police?" On the one hand, they did almost assuredly commit a crime just now, a big one. On the other hand, should they really start getting other 'gifted' people locked up when there's a lot more going on? Donna curls up into her seat to think on this while awaiting a response.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Donna raises up a finger. "Well, I mean, I could probably keep one restrained with my tongue, but we might be getting ahead of ourselves. If they're just misguided we can probably talk to them, and if they're zealots to this Xorn guy they'd probably sooner run back to their cult leader than fight to the bitter end. I mean, if I was in some kind of doom cult and was getting my butt kicked I'd probably run back to the temple for help. Not that I'm in a doom cult. please don't think I'm weird for saying that..."

Frog goes back to fidgeting and trying to avoid making any more weird comments while in the presence of both her team and the school's staff.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Donna catches on to what Peter's putting down, and clears her throat again. Albeit all that mostly does is get frog spit lodged in there for a second before she swallows and continues. "Maybe this'd best be continued once we're up in the skies? The jet has comms, after all, right? No sense letting things keep going undeterred and all that." She gets out of her seat, eager to get going, both for her partners' sake, and because the conversations currently going on are making her feel awkward now that they're getting morbid.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Donna looked from room to room, wanting to make sure she found the one that was, specifically, hers before trying any of them. A uniform, huh? From what she saw it looked like a cross between a wetsuit and spandex tights. Whether they'd feel that way once equipped is another question. Then again, she hasn't worn either wetsuits or tights, so it's kind of a moot point. Regardless, flip through this box, put it on, and...

...Oh, it's...very much like she expected, although the material definitely feels tougher, if still breathable. Also more form-fitting than expected, which begs the question of whether they did more than just measure their height and weight during physicals, but that's neither here nor there. What's more was that it accounted for the webbing between each digit, as well as how much her legs could stretch, and the firm grip the gloves had. If she could have done training in this, oh, those old hi-scores would be demolished! She giggles a bit to herself at the thought before exiting the changing room.

"For all intents and purposes, this is actually pretty good! I mean, except if you wanted to do some kinda stealth thing, but I don't think subtlety is the point right now."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"Thanks. We won't let you down, Professor."

So she was the fifth wheel. But also the moral and emotional center and jack of all trades! Donna could work with this. Her hesitation clears with the Professor's words as she buckles up and begins playing out scenarios in her head. Immediately her mind goes to trying to assist with Iceberg, only for her tongue to get stuck due to the freezing temperatures. She keeps herself from laughing at the thought.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Donna looks over to Jean, snapped out of her mental simulations by the topic at hand.

"I hope so too, Jea--err, Marvel Girl. Well, as long as we're thinking out loud, here's what I'm thinking: with the imagery and the way they talk, it sounds like one of those cults you used to hear about way back when. Do you know what I mean? Those groups where they grab really vulnerable people, brainwash them into thinking they're doing something good, then they go out and kill and/or eat people. Considering what the Professor was telling us, it definitely screams 'cult' to me. Which means they'll probably need some tough love and deprogramming. I'm...not looking forward to that part, but we'll get to it when we'll get to it, right?"

Frog tilts her head and tries to put on a reassuring smile, but it's obvious from the increasingly oily texture her hair is taking that she's nervous. Realizing she's probably not helping, Frog breaks eye contact and goes back to twiddling her thumbs and trying to blend back into the background.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"I mean, I can prooobably do either approach just fine, but hand signals, you said...? Oh! Oh oh! I think I've got this, maybe!" She hops up and down, obviously excited. "Okay! So! If we make it as easy as copying the same gesture, it'd be easy to figure out, so we gotta do a starter and a reply, right? Well if we start with something like this..." as she forms the 'OK' gesture with her right hand. "...we respond with this!" She forms an 'X' by crossing two flat palms. "Aside from the Professor and his staff, we should be the only folks who know the term 'X-Men,' right? To anyone else an 'X' means 'that's wrong,' or 'no,' or 'check please.' And why would you respond with any of those to someone looking at you and asking if everything's okay? It's foolproof!"

Donna calms herself down a bit and hunches into a ready-to-leap position in anticipation of the team moving forward. She also does this in order to contain her excitement at how confident she was with pushing forward the signal idea. If it turns out to come in handy, they'll remember that it was Frog who came up with it, after all! Great job, Frog, now just sit back, let them respond, and try not to have any metaphorical spaghetti fly out of your pockets. Not that you know where the pockets are on this suit anyway...

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"Right then! Off we go! Best of luck to you two!" Frog, not wanting to spoil their opportunity, makes a kind of 'let's get rolling' gesture and eagerly follows the tunnel plan. Sure hopping is a bit limited while inside the tunnel, but once it reaches the surface she'll be the first one out! And the first one on the scene gets the best opportunity to make a first impression!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Donna, hearing crashing noises, can only guess that the big guy ran into some of the others. Hopping out of the hole and out into the open, she follows Cyclops up the stairs, opting to simply leap the stairwell in a single bound. Given she's hopping up rather than down, there's little extra noise from the landing comparatively. Or at least, that's her rationale. She's actually just eager to get out of this closet and towards higher ground, where her big hops come in handy. Gravity's a harsh mistress, but she comes in real handy when she needs to, quite literally, get the drop on someone.

"Don't mind me, I've got this figured out, won't take me but a minute to find a good position." Just as quickly as she blurts it out, she's gone off in search of higher ground, one in a spot no one would expect.

In the event I need to roll to set myself up in a vantage point, I'll be rolling Solo d6 + Hop To It! d8 + Leaping d10 + Acrobatics Master d10.

Hopping to it!: 2#1d10 9 1 1d8 8 1d6 4

Putting that together, this theoretical Asset uses a 17 total with a d6 Effect Die.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

And there it is! An opportunity! Donna at first considers following them and talking to them since they seem scared, but on the other hand, this is the psychic one. They should probably take them out as soon as possible. Going up ahead of them, and taking advantage of going unnoticed (not that that's too different from normal), she thinks to herself before lining up the shot and firing out her tongue. If she did this correctly, she'd hit Mastermind square in her center of mass and let the non-Newtonian fluids do the rest of the work yanking her up and into an easily-restrained position.

This is Solo d6, Stretching d6, the bonus d6 from Tongue, (It's Not Easy) Being Green d8 and Combat Expert d8 to try to snag Mastermind with a Complication.

Tongue Lash!: 3#1d6 6 6 2 2#1d8 3 7

Hot drat! I'm going to spend my 1 Plot Point to add an extra die to my total, giving me a 19 total with a d10 Effect Die. Maybe if we're lucky she'll roll a 9 or less and I'll have disabled her outright.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog
PP: 0, XP: 2, d6 Emotional Stress

It was all a lot to take in. First she succeeded at her job while no one was watching, then all that freaky stuff happened at once. That obviously fake freaky stuff but it didn't make it any less scary. And after that, her friends arrive just in time to see Mastermind get ripped out of her grip and sent back after the team, and before she can even respond, Sarah had put down the errant psychic and caused a retreat. So as far as anyone else saw, or at least, what Donna thinks everyone saw, she ran off ahead and then failed to hang onto a VIP target. The oily sweat begins trickling down and slicking up her hair and outfit as she realizes how this reflects on her. Why? Things were going so well! And now it all looks terrible! B-but I have to take responsibility. Just hop down, and...

Frog hops downwards and tries to keep from panicking in front of the others, lest she find out if her frog mutations include puffing up as a fear response. "I-I can explain! I had Mastermind, I really did! Snatched her right on up, and then...W-well, anyway, it wasn't my fault! I swear!"

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 6, 2017

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
e: Booped.
ee: Unbooping.

Frog

Frog taps her communicator, realizing it was on 'voice activity' rather than 'push to talk' the whole time with a slight blush. "Well, good to hear that the broadcast is over, at least. You can say that last part again though, Professor. The place is trashed. That being said, I think we might have evidence that this Xorn guy is scaring your former students into working with him. When I snagged Mastermind, she was flipping out not because of me, but seemingly because of her boss being right next door." She opts to leave out the part about getting her victory robbed by Xorn for now.

Pacing and looking around the room to await a reply, she turns her mic off and turns towards her teammates. "Anyway, I'm still a little spooked from having the walls turned into fire and the floor into snakes, but I guess we're not done, huh?" She gives an awkward chuckle. "What do we do next?"

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 7, 2017

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"Well, I mean..." Frog tugs at her neck a bit, feeling a bit uneasy. I mean, she thinks the guy was there. Sarah shot at him, and it was shoved away and stuff! If the scorch mark for the beam is still there, then it definitely wasn't an illusion. "A few seconds after I nabbed Mastermind, her boss stepped out, and...well, basically told her off, giving her a knockout quota if she wanted to not be a failure." She sits down and curls up a bit. Seeing someone do what they did with Sarah's beam, even if it took effort, was scary to think about considering her own abilities are nowhere near that kind of firepower. Plus she could kind of sympathize with Mastermind given the situation and how she looked.

"Ordinarily I might think it was still an illusion, but I'm pretty sure telepaths can't fling themselves with telekinesis, and illusions don't deflect laser beams. Anyway, he mentioned you by first name and someone named...uh, what was it...Banisher? Vanisher? Something -isher, and then like that they were gone. Sarah thinks we should take care of the civilians and then get lost before someone finds the Blackbird. Will that, er...anything else you think we should do, Professor?" she finishes, unsure how better to phrase it, considering Professor Xavier is a teacher and a mentor, but it's been long since established that at the Xavier Institute there are no leaders and no hierarchies, everyone equal even between students and staff.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"We got everything unloaded, right? As long as everyone else here is accounted for, we've done all we can and should do. For now, at least. You ready to fly us back, 'Cyke?'" Frog chuckles a bit at the impromptu nickname, hoping that it gets treated as an inside joke among friends or a well intentioned jab than anything negative.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Oh, jeez... Donna kind of forgot the whole 'national crisis' thing going on in the mini-panic after Xorn appeared. But at least there are talks being had at all, right? Better that than an immediate declaration against mutants. That said, her mind is racing about what went down there. Did they get caught on camera? Are they going to remember us well enough to get composite sketches? If their likenesses do pop up on TV, what will Mom and Dad think? The frog sinks into her seat, trying to ponder all these questions and more simultaneously.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Piotr's "gentle" jostling did little to assuage Donna's fears as the flight went on. Once the plane landed, however, everyone else getting off the Blackbird snapped her out of her hyperthink. Considering how loud she'd been thinking in the presence of not just one, but now two psychics, a slight blush ran across her face. Pulling herself together, she opts to try to lighten the mood.

"Well, considering the fact that this was all ready for us ahead of time, it's safe to say things went a lot better and faster than they could've been, right? And as far as we know, aside from a few bruised egos, nobody was hurt! I'd call that 'mission accomplished', that's for sure."

The state-of-the-art jet, the uniforms, the supplies, the training, this really could have gone so much worse were it not for this being prepped in advance. Which begs the question of whether the Professor had been anticipating something like this or this was just some abandoned pet project that just so happened to come in handy. But while this was the place, it was neither the time nor the person to be asking those kinds of questions.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog
PP: 0 | XP: 2

Donna opts for the same 'perch on a seat' approach as Nocturne, given she kind of just got out of a miniature panic trance, and focusing on not falling off the chair would certainly keep her mind off of that. Really, the primary thought on her mind at this point is whether she can get out of the uniform and back into her usual clothes. Comfortable as it was, she yearned for pockets that weren't attached to a utility belt. Plus from her read of the room it seemed like this is going to be a 'congratulations on a job well done, we couldn't have asked for a better result' sort of debriefing, so maybe things could go back to being casual? Either way, she opted to try breaking the ice and adding some levity.

"So. How's this going to reflect on our progress reports?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"Well, while we're throwing every possibility out there, what if Xorn just doesn't have a mind to read?"

Donna startles for a moment, realizing that was audible rather than just a thought. Struggling to not look like some kind of idiot or conspiracy theorist, she races for explanations and begins talking about as fast as her mind makes up the words. "W-well, I mean, considering our 'evolutions,' we can't really discount the really out-there stuff, right? Like someone evolving a brain that thinks differently from others. Or maybe they're a robot, like the ones in the Danger Room simulations? I don't really know telepathy but from what I've seen with Jean, she can't really send to or receive stuff from machines. A-anyway, that's just me speculating. It's probably neither of those, in all likelihood..."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"Well, until then, we'll just have to do the best we can, both in terms of the mission and for PR, right? Even if it's not mutant-related, I'm pretty sure if we go out help out during crisis or disaster situations, we can at least get some folks to consider us 'one of the good ones.'" Donna rolls her eyes with the last statement, trying to put on a slight drawl for it. She knows some people will never change their viewpoints, especially now that a big event like this has happened, but there's a genuine hope in her that at least a few people can be convinced to give mutants a chance. "That is, if we have the resources to act like a miniature FEMA team, anyway."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog
PP: 0 | XP: 2

"Nooooopenopenopenopenope."

Donna is crossing her arms as firmly as possible, making as clear an 'X' as possible with them. Her expression says exactly what her lips were saying. "Sarah, I know you were a little late to the party, but considering the big bad Xorn is either using mind control or some major intimidation tactics, and he knows that we came from this place, and seems to be telepathic himself, Operation Trojan Horse is as no-go as it gets! And I for one would never take the role as bait! I--" She realizes how much of a scene she's making, which breaks her focus on balancing. Thankfully, while she does fall off the side, she catches herself and pull herself back up, albeit with red on her face.

"A-anyway, I just think we should avoid doing that in particular. I'm sorry."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Donna has been humming a certain frog-related tune to herself from the moment differences in brain activity were mentioned in the broadcast. It had become something of a fallback mantra for her, or something she'd repeat to herself when stressed or thinking about the difficulties of life. Usually, the more audible it was, the greater the degree to which she was distraught about something. Towards the end, a bit of it escapes her lips proper.

"When is green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why..."

With the muting of the audio, however, she snaps out of it and looks back to the group. Obviously, this was a bad situation, but there had to be something good about this, she just had to think on it. A military group established to try to get rid of all mutants, likely to end up shot down on sight. This...ah! Okay! This could work! Moving a single index finger upward to indicate her desire to speak, Frog gives what she hopes is at least some form of encouragement.

"Well, it's just getting started, right? This means we have 'the coming months' to make a case for not having the military shoot every mutant on sight. I mean, it'd probably take finding the right people with the right connections, or people who've actually seen the studies and can confirm or deny what's in them and I really hope that bit about all of us being sociopaths is wrong but anyway, we can still do this! This can still work! It just...needs some grassroots movements and some real proof of our worth! Yeah!"

Frog eagerly waits for the optimistic responses that she will likely not receive today, tomorrow, or next week, but in her mind right now, they need to happen now to get the ball rolling. And so that she doesn't feel like the biggest idiot in the room for suggesting the impossible.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Donna perks right up, her eyes practically sparkling at the good news. Her mind is abuzz with absolute vindication. Her 'miniature FEMA team' idea must have had legs after all, because it's a month later and here the Professor is, suggesting that exact thing! With all of this combined with Pete, Jane, Marius, pretty much everyone on her side about this, everything's coming up Frog.

Raising her voice a bit in excitement, she says what's on her mind. "Thank you, Professor!" Looking back over towards the others with a hopeful look on her face, she tries to judge who might be the most willing to hang out with her for this break period so she can take advantage of this surge of confidence and do some real socializing with folks she's known more as partners and fellow students than friends.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 12, 2017

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

A great deal less stressed and happily taking an active part of a conversation wherein her opinions mattered, the words flow from Donna's lips like water. She regales the tale of how, until she remembered the oily bit of her mutation, the name 'Toad' had a distinct ring to it. She ultimately went with Frog not because of that, but because she learned of the term "frogman," as well as the fact that she heard one too many "Toadally" puns in hushed tones. She's able to laugh at herself in this instance since she knows anyone else laughing would be laughing with, rather than at her.

"Oh! Actually, I was going to suggest Deepsea, but now that you've got Aqua on the mind, what if we adapt it? Stay with me here: Aqualung. You know, like the scuba gear? It covers what you do pretty perfectly, and there's no room for confusion about it."

Once parked, Donna restrained herself from hopping out of the car. She's about to start when Jane opens up conversation. "I could eat! Which brings me to the next question. If we're splitting up, when are we meeting and where? I was thinking food court or the theater. But that's just me..."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog
PP: 1 XP: 2

Donna's quick to toss her number over to everyone in the group, in the hope they all reciprocate. Her response to the stand is to pretend it doesn't exist. The group had a goal, and getting side-tracked with this giant mess would only make things devolve into shouting and/or violence. Picking up the pace, she fastwalks as best as she can towards her destination, inadvertently leading the pack or, perhaps, escaping from it in her haste. Don't look at it, don't give it the time of day, don't even acknowledge it's there, Donna. If you don't look suspicious, they won't suspect you.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Frog gives a deep sigh of relief as she just kind of unloads onto Jane. "I know, right? I get that there's probably a lot of things we'd like to say, but as Civics class taught us, just like a courtroom, evidence is everything when you're trying to make a case. We don't exactly have anything besides rhetoric to work with right now, and even if we did you generally don't go to a recruitment center or a rally to try to change people's opinions. Y'know, basic mob mentality/group identity stuff. Anyway, I for one am in favor of not agitating a hornet's nest full of well-intentioned though also misinformed innocents and instead getting a calzone."

Looking back over and noticing the group is still split up, she sighs again and continues onward. Whatever harebrained scheme they're discussing, she'd rather not be made aware of it until after it's blown up in their face. She really doesn't want to be a part of whatever secret operation they may be planning behind the Prof's back.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Partway through her calzone, Donna finds a time to impart her two cents into the conversation. "That's really great! I noticed I'm a bit more streamlined in swimming now, but I can't even get remotely close to that time unless I cheat and kick off of the sides. Oh! But besides speed, have you ever considered seeing if you can dive deeper than the average person? I mean, considering you can breathe in water that relieves some of the pressure problems at least."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"Well, we could always have someone follow you down in one of those diving suits. Someone who can use their powers while covered head to toe. Then again, that'd involve renting out a boat, a diving suit, an oxygen supply, the cables to connect it up...Oh wait, duh! There's those shark-resistant cages! We could just lower you down on one and pull it back up if you feel like it's too deep or if you see something dangerous!" Frog's enthusiasm for letting Rita explore the (pun unintended) depths of her powers was keeping her smiling, at least until everything comes crashing back down to reality in the form of the topic she was trying to avoid. She aggressively starts finishing her calzone to try to focus more on the flavor, but once she runs out of calzone, it seems inevitable that she has to comment. Didn't help that it wasn't as good as the ones her mom would make.

"I for one support not casting the first stone, or casting any stones at all if possible. We're supposed to be professionals and philanthropists, and I at least think we shouldn't take a side. I like to think of our group as something like Medici senza frontiere," she says, slipping into an Italian inflection for a brief moment. "We help anyone in trouble, regardless of who they are or what they think." She looks back and forth and realizes she's probably talking crazy. "...but that's just what I think..."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"She said she needed to go to the bathroom, I think. Speaking of which, I could go with you, Rita. I'd be the fastest to get back to here anyway if Jane isn't there." Donna taps her legs, noting that, while her hops are still outright off-limits, her stride would certainly benefit from the spring in her step. And then the doubt settles in as she enters a thoughtful pose. "Then again if she isn't there, me heading back to tell everyone would also be going from one person left on their own to two..."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
OOC: Didn't know we had to call out XP and Milestone stuff, whoopsie! I'll probably need to do that at some point then unless there's some to be added retroactively.

Frog

Donna, as always, tries to put a positive spin on things before folks can dwell on it for overly long. "Well, no sense getting worked up over it yet, right? Just something to keep in mind for later. For now, though, I figure, I've got some spare change and multiple people around, I can take a crack at actually beating Turtles in Time. Back when I was still living with my folks, since there were four turtles and four of us, we'd split our allowance of five dollars four ways and see how far we could get. We'd always run out of either lives or time by the hoverboard level, though."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Darn, so much for Turtles in Time. Guess it's time for quick thinking. Donna, you've been to this mall several times already, from several entrances, considering men's clothing is on one side, furniture's on another, and then there was the 'we don't know what we're getting but we're going here' entrance, and the movies, and--no, we need to focus, Donna!

"Well...if you're talking about an exit that's less-traveled, most of the exits are through those automatic sliding doors. The only ones that wouldn't have those are from when the mall was first made, whiiiich I believe leaves the back of a JCPenny's men's shoe department, the hall with the food court's bathrooms, and I think they still have one in the back of the movie theater? Shoot, if I had the map in front of me I could tell you which is closer..." Hopefully Jane can put their ultra instincts or whatever to good work, because while Donna has the building blocks of a plan, she's got no clue how to go forward with this or which to go forward.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Still running effectively blind due to a lack of animal senses or, y'know, telepathy to read what's going on, Frog did have one advantage running from her: she could slip through a crowd pretty easily without bumping into someone with her lithe frame and quick reflexes. With this she tries to do what she can to keep this chain of good examples going, and get herself to the exit to secure it ahead of time. This kind of goes against her apprehension towards splitting up earlier, but now's a really good time to not drag her feet.

I feel like this can work to invoke the 1 XP line of "I'm no rookie!" Overcompensation, ho!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog
PP: 1 0 XP: 3

Donna, inevitably looking back as she was ready to reach the exit, spots the problem that has arisen. Her face blanches at the sight. Ohhhh no. They've drawn weapons. And it looks and sounds like we cast the first stone here. And after I'd made that impassioned plea, too...okay, Frog, time to get to work, I guess. No one's noticed you yet. Given you stick out like a sore thumb in a public record, we need to either be subtle about this or slap together a disguise. Taking another moment to observe the situation, her eyes scan the horizon as her thoughts continue. They're still in the food court, and things are super wide-open, so a sneak attack isn't super viable. Everyone's cleared out except for them, which means most things are unattended...

As she goes over each storefront, the gears begin turning. Pizzeria? The paddle'd be a nice weapon but there's not a lot else besides that. Plus if that table's anything to go by it'd get destroyed instantly. Burgers? She could maybe make a fire using the deep frier and any other kinda flame, but not only is that super destructive but these people don't seem like they'd care about it...But wait! Donna you're onto something, hold onto it, hold onto it...the oil! Jane can smell it a mile away and Sarah's a really fast thinker. I think they'll be able to put two and two together once they see this coming.

Scuttling herself on over to the unattended Americana food stall, Donna enters the kitchen and begins gathering bottles of the peanut oil used for the fryer, screwing off the tops, removing the foil seals, and setting up the angle she needs. As she readies the first volley, she thinks as hard as she can, hoping Jean can hear her as her awkward jitters create for one very uncertain set of projectiles. o O (J-j-jean! Operation Oil Slick coming in hot!)

Rolling d10 Team, d4 Frog in the Throat, d8 Enhanced Strength, and using a PP to add a d8 Stunt die for this powerful throw.

Operation Oil Slick: 1d10 5 2d8 15 1d4 1

And that's a 15 with a d10 Effect Die to create an oil slick that, hopefully, someone will pick up on and be able to take advantage of. Tagging Cyclops next.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

PP: 1 0

...Okay, Home Alone tactics didn't work, and now there's fire and now this is an extremely public situation. A sigh escapes Donna's lips as she realizes she's going to have to leap into action and get the ball rolling. But at least she gets a simple choice between the firebug, the giant beast-woman, or the folks with the taser guns. Well, beast-woman's pretty tied up, and seems to be the leader. One good wallop could potentially send them running.

With a plan in mind, she arches herself as best she can and hops into action. First a hop over the counter to get the ball rolling, then a second hop a bit askew to mask her intentions and build some speed, and then a third to hit that 45-degree angle ideal for building speed on the way down. If all goes well she'll deliver a nasty kick to the side of the behemoth's face and give her a real pain in the neck.

As she lands the kick, she tries to say her best attempt at a one-liner. "The next words out of your mouth are gonna be 'Not bad, not bad at all,' am I right?"

This is taking advantage of the 1d12 complication, 1d10 Team, 1d8 Hop To It!, 1d8 Leaping (Multipower), 1d8 Combat Expert, and 1d6 Enhanced Strength (Multipower)

FLYING KICK!: 1d12 3 1d10 7 3d8 11 (3, 1, 7) 1d6 4

Well, that's an Opportunity, but I'm going to use the 1 PP I got from rolling a d4 last turn to add an extra die to the effect pool for an 18 with a d12 effect die. Tagging Jean.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 31, 2018

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

PP: 0 | XP: 3 | Physical Stress d8

Dodging a taser!: 1d12 10 1d10 3 1d8 5 1d8 4

So I goofed my roll here and thought it was me dodging Sabertooth, so I should be rolling just my Team, Enhanced Reflexes, and Combat Expert dice, ignoring the d12. Needless to say, she's gonna take a hit, although rather than reroll it or anything like that, it may be better for me to forfeit this in favor of the Mutant Vulnerability.

Practically sliding right off of her target like a bug on a windshield, Frog is too taken aback by the sheer tenacity and durability of her opponent to notice the taser fire in time to do any more than reflexively try to catch it with her tongue, though that did little good against the bullet-like projectiles. Dropping down on one foot shortly before impact, she finds herself convulsing while standing on said foot. Her attempts to shout out a pain reaction are stifled by the shocks coursing through her body, at least until it runs its course and she's able to regain feeling in her extremities.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog
PP: 0 | XP: 3->4 | Physical Stress d8

After finally shaking off the aggressive tingling running through her from the equivalent of getting stun gunned, Donna looks over to Jane, the newest person to provide sensory input. "Huh? Oh, yeah. Right. Forgot for a moment that this isn't a simulation..." We're gonna get such a lecture when we ge back. Even worse if the mall cameras caught us doing this. Changing her gait back into one ready to hop, Frog continues. "It's okay, though. We'll be fine, really! I'm sure there's already a plan in place and all we need to do is hear about it. Me and Jane will get the car warmed up. Okay? Okay."

Marking off 1 XP for A Real Ray of Sunshine

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog
PP: 0 | XP: 4 | Physical Stress d8

"W-well if you're doing that, I should probably go with you," says Donna, trying to step forward and take some charge and forgetting the whole 'mental speech' thing. "I'm not the Blackbird's pilot, and frankly, after this whole helicopter thing, we should absolutely move in pairs." Looking back over at Jane and swallowing loudly at what she may be implying, she crosses her arms in a 'no' gesture for a bit before stammering. "N-not that you couldn't handle yourself, it's just good protocol to have someone watching your six. Plus, well, it might not be the best idea to have both Rita and Petey together right now. So, y'know, me, Jane and Rita drive out and take some time to process all this while Jean, Sarah and M go with Pete on the Blackbird so he can get to the infirmary faster?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog
PP: 0 | XP: 4 | Physical Stress d8

"Well, um..." Donna is currently attempting to unravel the numerous metaphorical knots her tongue is twisting itself into trying to explain what happened, but she ultimately decides to swallow it and bite the bullet. "Well as far as I know, what seemed to happen was there was a recruiting station for that new task force, and then some folks from it seemed to be trying to track us down, so we tried to get out, but then one of them got real upset at Jane in particular, and a fight broke out, and then things escalated, and then they escalated again, and then you came and..." The frog is practically puffing up from hyperventilation trying to recount the events, at least until they catch on that everyone is staring and take a deep breath. "...Anyway, um...I think that's about it, unless I forgot something."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog
PP: 1(?) | XP: 4

Never stop seeing the good in everything, Donna. Someone has to, and you're actually good at it.

This was what repeated through the amphibious student's head as the hours of dread turned into days and into two weeks. The uncertainty of what was to come, the increased stress levels by everyone at the school, the hostilities that people both politically and physically had broken out into over this whole debate. It definitely wasn't a pretty sight, but at least people were still willing to talk. At least there were still a few people who would argue against this military state on TV and radio, even if they weren't exactly well-liked. Plus she still is pretty lucky in terms of genetics; tongue aside, she just looks like a normal girl with oily hair. There were certainly folks who had it worse. That being said, Donna could sense that trying to point out the few good parts among the sea of Bad Vibes going on ever since the MRD event was being met with, at best, a lukewarm reception, and at worst, reactions that amounted to "you're annoying."

With a sigh, her daily routine added more activities where she could keep her chin up and not annoy anyone. Climbing the gym's rock wall, swimming while chatting with whatever friendly amphibians she could coax out of hiding, getting a portable game system and booting up that one RPG everyone keeps saying is really good but she never got to play as a kid, trying to make non-metaphorical spaghetti (and succeeding once she finally asked for the family recipe!). That's not to say she was antisocial; she just recognized more and more that people needed some space and time to work things out to the point where input from others would both help and be appreciated.

This was not one of those times.

When she first happened upon the scene, she'd only been paying half attention, the other half devoted to trying to get this new party member up to speed with the rest of the group. Oh, another sparring session. Well, at least they're venting in a controlled environment. It takes a few seconds for it to register that she isn't in the gym, and that there isn't a single member of the teaching staff here to supervise this. Shoving the console into her pockets, Donna is now trying to, as quickly as she can, pick up the cues of the situation. Not in uniform, using their powers on each other, seemingly no regard for strategy...Yup, she'd seen this before. You don't grow up in a family with three brothers without seeing the kind of fights that break out over the dumbest of things. Things like "you ate the last of the peanut butter" or "give me back my comic book" that could have easily been solved with words or parental intervention but inevitably were solved with punches, headlocks, and the occasional bite. At least until someone else stepped in to break them apart.

Thankfully, she wasn't alone on this one. With a nod to Marius, who also seemed to have caught onto the situation, she leapt behind the less-spiky one and used a technique she learned to be quite good at: the armbar. Curl the hand, get that twist, behind the back, leg in front of theirs, but most importantly, rest of body behind them so that she can put their body in between her and their other fist. Great for breaking up fights and winning games of "say uncle!"

"Now now, whatever it is you're fighting about, I want you to take a deep breath and tell me what happened, step by step. Please don't make me twist it further. This hold can actually break things if you or I make the wrong motion..."