Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m terrible at effort-posts but wanted to have a thread dedicated to the littlest show that could.

The Last Man on Earth is what it sounds like. When the show starts, Phil Tandy Miller (Will Forte) has been alone for the last 3 years after a virus eliminates the population. He’s about to kill himself when notices smoke and finds the last woman on Earth, Carol Pilblasian (Kristen Schawlow), she has odd quirks such as being unwilling to end a sentence with a preposition or requiring she and Tandy get married before they have sex, despite being the only two people either has seen for 3 years.

It goes from there and oscillates between the cringiest of cringe humor and really heartfelt moments. The writers have done a pretty great job of having the consequences of a total loss of population be always in the background until they’re not, such as expiring fuel or no working water systems.

I wasn’t sure if I could take more of this show after season 1, but season 2 gives enough brains and heart to Tandy that it really hits its stride. The show isn’t about saving the world, but how do people survive when there’s no society around.

Unfortunately, I took a look at the ratings in Wikipedia and I’d be very surprised if it gets renewed short of some miracle in viewership. That being said, this season has started with a bang (literally!) and I’m excited to see what happens!

Kristen Wiig fits perfectly, and I loved the cameo death that started out this season. I would argue it beats out Ferrell and Hamm in bringing a smile to my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I laughed really hard at the lengths they went to make sure Pat was really, truly dead.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I laughed really hard at the lengths they went to make sure Pat was really, truly dead.

He’s reassembling! I appreciated that Pamela received a pair of great jeans. Well, if you think the jeans suck, I think we’ll just have to agree to dungaree.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

A good development episode. Very happy to have our new guest star, and I’m glad they didn’t draw out the resolution to being stranded. Also, the song over the credits was amazing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I agree concerning the song. I hope the new member of the team doesn't die in a couple episodes.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I agree concerning the song. I hope the new member of the team doesn't die in a couple episodes.

He’s got hope! Which I think will be theme of this season. Hope has been in and out throughout the seasons, and Glenn is gonna hopefully keep them in positive spirits.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
How soon until Todd starts banging her?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason I kind of expected the conclusion was going to be leaving Pamela on the island but also Chris Elliott's character staying too.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’m OK w having a gaggle of great comedians. I’m really interested to see what they do. Like I said in the OP, the ratings don’t give me hope for renewal and so I wonder if the team knows and they’ll be shooting for a conclusion. Or if we’ll end on a cliffhanger :(

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Man I was ready to drop the show so fast if they killed off Todd! This season is not very good so far and seems to have less plot than usual :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’m not really at all enthusiastic about this show anymore. It’s kinda fallen off a cliff, writing wise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe its just me but I thought the end of this week's episode would have been a fine series finale.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I haven't been paying attention all that much recently.

When exactly did Gail and Erica start dating/going out

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Last season.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I think it was at least implied that Gail and Erica were an item before they met Will Forte and crew, but then they met men so they separated.

Now they're back to square one.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How is Todd still huge?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GORDON posted:

How is Todd still huge?

They only eat junk food.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The last few episodes have been great imo. The tandy wedding monologue was insanely good as was the shocking revelation about ericas last name

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I genuinely love this show, and am stunned every time I discover other people that watch it

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I enjoyed the first season enough but stopped watching at the beginning of season 2 but I've caught up with everything lately and it is not bad. I mean, hardly like the best show but solid and watchable with some really hilarious moments. It also helps that Tandy isn't a complete giant piece of poo poo anymore and is just like, annoying as hell while usually at least trying to to the right thing, and still mostly failing. But for a while there he was a lost cause.

Also I really like Carol a lot. She's cute with her weirdness and I love some of the gags she brings to the show, like her weird fear of ending sentences with prepositions. That one always gets me.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Some solid new episodes. Not a big fan of Fred Armisen but the karl character is alright so far. I love Tandy committing to the female pronoun usage. Kinda wish Tandy getting spooked and shooting karl in the chest 12 times was real and not just a terrible tandy introduction plan.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fred Armisen's been an OK guest star.

I really like him trying to fake his way through "Benny and the Jets"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think Fred Armisen is killing it. The painting reveal was golden.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
I enjoyed Karl's almost victim in Mexico. Getting his portrait painted to prove to his friends that he wasn't boring. Bless him.

Why did they drop the gang stuff at the start? I was hoping that woman was going to be the new addition to the group. I have to agree with others who feel the writing has taken a dip this season. Just doesn't feel as must watch as previous series.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They just aren't doing anything interesting with the initial premise anymore.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's still a few jokes in there, but what's the point? They aren't working towards anything. The drama comes from either a famous (expensive) actor showing up and then being killed off after 15 seconds, or one of Will Forte's (inexpensive) friends from SNL shows up for a few episodes and then gets thrown away or killed. This feels like the prison season of Walking Dead where I stopped giving a poo poo because who even cares about these people anymore? Nothing interesting happens.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

This comes back next Sunday.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Gonz posted:

This comes back next Sunday.

Wow, I thought that was the season cliffhanger. How many more?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Wow, I thought that was the season cliffhanger. How many more?

Not sure. Wikipedia says 3 more, but it also says there’s no announced end date for this season, too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
the show came back and the episode was good

RIP carl

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The fact that this thread was started in October and we haven't even hit the second page yet seems pretty telling. What is even going on in this show? There's no direction and things just happen for whatever reason. There are actual callbacks to previous things in the show, but it feels meaningless. "Remember that thing from earlier this season? Here it is again, and a thing happened. That's over now."

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The fact that this thread was started in October and we haven't even hit the second page yet seems pretty telling. What is even going on in this show? There's no direction and things just happen for whatever reason. There are actual callbacks to previous things in the show, but it feels meaningless. "Remember that thing from earlier this season? Here it is again, and a thing happened. That's over now."

I enjoyed the pilot up until they introduced the lady character and decided I was out.

I was hoping the show would just be the main character dicking around for a season, then maybe introducing someone near the end of the first season.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The last episode had Tandy acting kind of normally (for plot reasons) and holy god the show got so much better.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Cojawfee posted:

I kind of forgot about TVIV and came here to waste some time. I'm surprised at the length of the thread, too, but I think the show is fantastic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sometimes shows just don't have much to discuss and that's ok. Survival is the only real plotline, we all know stunt casted editions to the show aren't going to stick around. That's fine though, it's kinda fun to have a post apocalyptic story that doesn't have the "people are terrible" quotient dialed up to 11.

They come across some lone nutters, otherwise they just get on each others nerves.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Sean posted:

I kind of forgot about TVIV and came here to waste some time. I'm surprised at the length of the thread, too, but I think the show is fantastic.

With the rise in streaming over the last few years, as well as how people internet now, watching along via threads has seemed to died out. It's a bit sad in a way because it was fun to watch along and having :tviv: moments, but it's just how things are now, I mean I'm probably not even going to catch the latest episode until tomorrow night.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Iron Crowned posted:

With the rise in streaming over the last few years, as well as how people internet now, watching along via threads has seemed to died out. It's a bit sad in a way because it was fun to watch along and having :tviv: moments, but it's just how things are now, I mean I'm probably not even going to catch the latest episode until tomorrow night.

Yeah, that makes sense. Your bolded part, too. I always have to wait a day and then avoid threads until its safe.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

kloa posted:

I enjoyed the pilot up until they introduced the lady character and decided I was out.

I was hoping the show would just be the main character dicking around for a season, then maybe introducing someone near the end of the first season.

Margarita pool and the room full of Wilsons are still the two best gags in this god drat show

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I really love this show, I think it's just special and unique. I find every episode a joy to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

With the most recent time skip I kind of wonder how much time has passed since the beginning of the series.

• Locked thread