Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Hey guys! So... dropping comments, in addition to providing me motivation to keep working on this thing, also serves the important purpose of spreading out updates so that we don't have a billion images on a given page.

I'll take care of this one, but I'm expecting your help in the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

This issue sees the introduction of the October Guard, G.I. Joe's Soviet counterpart. Let's read issue 6!

The Joe team arrives back at the Pit from a hairy mission, looking forward to some downtime, but no such luck.

In the briefing room, Hawk explains the objective: recovery of a top-secret experimental Soviet aircraft from the mountains of Afghanistan. The anti-gravity tech on board would be quite the catch, but the Russians are scrambling to retrieve it and Cobra has taken an interest as well. Afghan rebels have captured the plane and agreed to hand it over to the Americans, so getting it out will be the Joes' job. Hawk's plan is to airdrop a vehicle that can't be much good because they never made a toy of it.

When Hawk states that this mission will be on a purely volunteer basis, every hand in the briefing room shoots up. Having expected this, Hawk reveals his pre-selected team: Stalker, Scarlett, Clutch, Steeler, Grand Slam, and Breaker. Later, while the Joes are airlifted towards their destination and Clutch awkwardly hits on Scarlett, sinister workings are afoot back at the Pit.

What is this treachery? Say it isn't so, Hawk! Unaware of this betrayal, the strike force makes landfall in the Hindu Kush mountains.

Remember when militant Afghan insurgents were the good guys? ... Yeah, that dates this book a bit.

...and arming them couldn't possibly backfire in any way... right?

Our crew quickly gets to work assembling the marvel of engineering, the RTV.

They're ready to roll in a matter of minutes.

As the Joes head out for the border...

The crew settles in to their positions, unaware of the forces observing them.

An hour later, the RTV comes up on a canyon not marked on the charts. As they discuss their options for crossing it, the Joes suddenly come under fire.

Stalker asks Clutch to shift the RTV to a better firing position, but...

The October Guard are pushed back by superior firepower. As they duck behind available cover in face of the onslaught, Horrorshow asks Col. Brekhov "What's our plan?"

The Guard close in with the Joes and fierce hand-to-hand fighting ensues. Just then...

to be continued...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Will the Joes and the Soviets find common cause to battle Cobra together?

Also:

is funnier than I would have given this title credit for.

Even GiJoe thinks you're slimy, CIA Mans.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Vehicle (heh) to sell toys, sure, but man they really tried with these. It's good stuff.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I'm surprised GI Joe isn't close to as popular today, with all the jingoistic RAH RAH RAH OUR MILITARY poo poo going on. You'd think it'd be easy to sell them to that section of consumerism.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

I'm surprised GI Joe isn't close to as popular today, with all the jingoistic RAH RAH RAH OUR MILITARY poo poo going on. You'd think it'd be easy to sell them to that section of consumerism.

Yeah, but GIJoe has always been about freedom and equality for all. Definitely not a tale that would be well-received in Trump's America.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh

Fun Shoe

Oh man, can the Americans and Russians put aside their differences and realize they're not so different after all? Tune in next time!

That said, I'm legit curious as to what's going on with Hawk here. I somehow doubt they'd go straight "He was a double agent all along!" unless they were going to kill him off to make room for another character, but it seems too early for that. So... impostor? Is Hawk impersonating the real Songbird so he can... do something?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alacron posted:

Oh man, can the Americans and Russians put aside their differences and realize they're not so different after all? Tune in next time!

That said, I'm legit curious as to what's going on with Hawk here. I somehow doubt they'd go straight "He was a double agent all along!" unless they were going to kill him off to make room for another character, but it seems too early for that. So... impostor? Is Hawk impersonating the real Songbird so he can... do something?

I'm going to guess a honeypot trap for Cobra. I don't see this title at that time doing a slow burn B plot. If I had to guess, toward the end of next issue there are more Joes waiting for Cobra to fully commit, saving the Commies and Defenders of Freedom just as all hope appears to be lost.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Maybe it was a different time, but were several of the Joes really on the side of the army developing a project to literally end all life on the planet?

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

I always loved the Oktober Guard they were such great characters. The stuff with Hawk in this issue always confused me as a kid.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Alacron posted:

I assumed if it's GI Joe and somebody is acting out of character then it has to be Zartan.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

When Hawk states that this mission will be on a purely volunteer basis, every hand in the briefing room shoots up.

I know this is fiction, but they could at least try to keep it in the realms of possibility.

Also that RTV would be a really impractical toy. It would break in at least three places if you looked at it funny.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Props to the Oktober Guard, "Horrorshow" is a drat fine code name.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Dareon posted:

Also that RTV would be a really impractical toy. It would break in at least three places if you looked at it funny.

I always wondered if it was designed after some other toy line that they'd gotten rights too or were in negotiations for.

That they never made a toy of the Oktober Guard's vehicle is a shame.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

howe_sam posted:

I assumed if it's GI Joe and somebody is acting out of character then it has to be Zartan.

Sadly, Zartan won't exist for a bunch more issues yet.

E: Also I think the RTV was Hama and Trimpe saying "we need a vehicle for this story and none of the toys really fit, let's just make some poo poo up."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

robziel posted:

I always wondered if it was designed after some other toy line that they'd gotten rights too or were in negotiations for.

That they never made a toy of the Oktober Guard's vehicle is a shame.

When I was a kid in the 80s, I was all about russian poo poo and was reading "real" war books by like 3rd grade. Would have owned the hell out of the Oktober Guard, because Cobra was kind of lame as an enemy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

stealie72 posted:

When I was a kid in the 80s, I was all about russian poo poo and was reading "real" war books by like 3rd grade. Would have owned the hell out of the Oktober Guard, because Cobra was kind of lame as an enemy.

Sadly the Oktober Guard didn't get toys until 1998 - there was a three-pack with Col. Brekhov and two later characters named Volga and Lt. Gorky. Horrorshow didn't get a toy until 2005.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!

Grimey Drawer

I always loved how stupidly space age those vehicles looked. lots of triangles like something form a Lego kit. I forget if GI Joes could fit into lego stuff, but I bet I tried!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well they're lego, you can make your stuff to fit the joes if you have enough bricks.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I went back and checked one of the archived threads and so all I gotta say is more issues

also Cyrano had an absolutely gold quote about the Lancaster bomb bay (a real one) that I want to refer to again

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Thanks for all the replies, guys. A little discussion makes it more fun for everyone, me included.

I haven't commented on the art much, but I love that cover.

Cobra Commander has his priority set on retrieving the Russian aircraft, so he directs his forces towards that goal and leaves a token force of two Vipers to handle the execution of the G.I. Joe and October Guard teams. Even in the face of imminent death, Clutch seems strangely optimistic.

Turns out Clutch had palmed his remote control for the VAMP's guns and was able to work it without the Cobras noticing. Of course, now that the immediate threat is gone, prior hostilities threaten to flare up.

"Oh stewardess, I speak jive."

A couple of the Joes express their displeasure. In the case that the cargo is lost, they are supposed to break radio silence and call for an evac. Stalker asks what is to prevent the October Guard from taking off after the plane if they leave, and "Besides, what am I going to say to Hawk? 'Gee, we almost had it back safe, but Cobra came and took it away.'?" With some misgivings, a temporary truce is reached.

During the previous fight, Breaker had the presence of mind to plant a radio tracer on the RTV. After the Joes help the Guard repair their vehicle, both teams launch into hot pursuit. The trail leads them into Iran and through a firefight with an Iranian border patrol. Later, the radio tracker comes to a halt.

A scan of the fortress reveals nothing but solid walls, so Stalker straps on the JUMP jet to take a closer look.

Cobra Commander quickly realizes that his executioners have failed, but issues orders to allow the enemies into the fortress. Once inside, they can be more easily disposed of. Meanwhile, Stalker doesn't see any openings but spots an odd concentric pattern on the roof. He's concerned that it might be an alarm system, but Col. Brekhov states that his team has an alarm interference device on hand.

The teams split up to assault the fortress from opposite sides. While Clutch is left outside to provide fire support and sexually harass Scarlett ("If you want to touch up your eye-shadow, I'll let you use my rear-view mirror"), Steeler and Breaker head to the roof via JUMP jet, while the other Joes search for a way in on the ground. Before Flash can set his laser rifle to opening a hole, a door springs open for the G.I. Joe team. Meanwhile, the Russians send their man Schrage to the roof with a grappling hook. As the roof team examines the pattern there, he is ultimately the one to recognize it as a "hot plate".

As Stalker's team penetrates further into the fortress, he is fortunate enough to make his "spot traps" roll.

They continue to proceed onward, past a deadfall and through a flash flood, thanks to quick thinking by Scarlett.

Stalker's team hears a hissing sound. Is it gas? Nope! Spitting cobras!

After fighting through some more Cobra troops and the judicious use of plastic explosive...

Cobra Commander suddenly appears with a detachment of troops, and realizing that delegation may have been a problem...

The Joes prepare to board the RTV and move out, but...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Man, the coolest thing about the earliest issues of G.I. Joe is how awesome Stalker is. He gets such short shrift in the cartoons and later on he fades into the background but Stalker is clearly the ace badass soldier of the earliest issues of the comic. Well, okay, there's Snake-Eyes, but he's basically a plot device.

Also this story is amazing because of the way that Hama portrays the military. They're constantly pushing themselves to near-superhuman levels to achieve the goals that command has set for them, only to later learn that those goals were utterly meaningless - and that the guys in charge don't even feel bad about all the bullshit they've been through. Makes you wonder just how many times Hama found out how important his objectives had been in Vietnam...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stone-loving-cold there, Hawk.

I wonder if this is a set-up for some inter company tension in future missions. If Stalker, I'd always wonder if my mission was actually legit.

Holy poo poo. Stalker = Stalking Horse. Used and disavowed if necessary.

I may be reading too much into a comic based on a toy.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh

Fun Shoe

Even after I finished reading that I was still confused about the whole Operation Doppelganger thing. I thought for sure that he was going to have Cobra troops disguised as the Joes and the Guard attack the others to try and break the alliance and was kinda baffled when it didn't happen.

I actually had to read the whole thing twice to figure out that it referred to the Cobra Commander body double

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So uh, do we get anything further on the whole Hawk as a double agent thing, or was he doing a triple agent routine to ensure the decoy was Cobra's target?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

This seems to be a living snake, yes?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad

The Great Twist

Beachcomber posted:

Cobra has the coolest iconography in these comics. There's a sick candelabra that's going to show up in a few issues, too!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

So uh, do we get anything further on the whole Hawk as a double agent thing, or was he doing a triple agent routine to ensure the decoy was Cobra's target?

The second thing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Man, the coolest thing about the earliest issues of G.I. Joe is how awesome Stalker is. He gets such short shrift in the cartoons and later on he fades into the background but Stalker is clearly the ace badass soldier of the earliest issues of the comic. Well, okay, there's Snake-Eyes, but he's basically a plot device.

Almost certainly due to the difficulties of selling a toy based on him too.

Beachcomber posted:

Cobra Commander is hardcore.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Taerkar posted:

Cobra Commander is hardcore.

Fun bit of trivia, for when you're reading the Hama comics. I know the Chris Latta interpretation of Cobra Commander is iconic, but...

Cobra Commander sounding like Orson Welles is so fuckin' perfect.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pastry of the Year posted:

Fun bit of trivia, for when you're reading the Hama comics. I know the Chris Latta interpretation of Cobra Commander is iconic, but...

Cobra Commander sounding like Orson Welles is so fuckin' perfect.

Maurice LaMarche doing his Orson Welles impression [IE the Brain voice from Pinky and the Brain] would have been great.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Same thing we do every night, Destro: try to take over the world.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

what does that mean by "mickey mouse logos"?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Maybe an artifact of injection molding?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

The first version had a bad printing with low detail on the Cobra logo on his chest. Collectors started calling it the "mickey mouse" version because I dunno, collectors?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Wasn't there some panel with the October Guard bemoaning Imperialist aggression while wiping out the Iranian border patrol? That was a decent joke.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

One more for the weekend, thanks to the extra hour we got.

So I know we talk about Larry Hama a lot, but there were a handful of issues that he didn't write, including this next one. The writer here is Herb Trimpe, who served as artist for most of the early G.I. Joe comics.

One thing you may have noticed is that Cobra isn't using any of their distinctive vehicles yet, like the HISS tank or the FANG helicopter. The simple explanation is that they didn't exist yet. The initial launch of G.I. Joe action figures was very light on enemies, offering only a generic Cobra trooper and officer. Even Cobra Commander was only available via mail order. As a result, Trimpe had to come up with his own vehicles to participate in this assault. Personally, I think he did a great job of making original creations that fit into the Joe idiom. You can judge for yourselves. Let's read issue #8!

That figure with the billowing rain slicker is no other than Cobra Commander, who has his binoculars focused on a familiar silhouette.

Elsewhere, we find the Joes conducting training under Arctic conditions. Some of them are taking it more seriously than others.

Hawk interrupts to inform the Joes of their new mission. A new satellite is being put into orbit that can detect the network of undersea launch platforms that Intelligence says Cobra is building. The Joes are assigned to protect the launch, as there is evidence Cobra is aware of these plans.

Meanwhile, Cobra Commander docks at one of the underwater launch bases in the Gulf of Mexico.

Cobra is indeed aware of the satellite launch intended to detect their platforms.

As Cobra plans their attack, the Joes arrive at Cape Kennedy to plan their defense.

Flash and Breaker are assigned to remain with the shuttle orbiter at all times, including launch, orbit, re-entry, and landing. The next morning, the crawler moves the shuttle into position.

As the shuttle reaches the launch pad, Hawk receives a call from Stalker in the outer ring. "They're coming out of the ocean with stuff like we've never seen before!"

The launch countdown can't be hurried, so the Joes fight for time. Grand Slam hits a SEA legs with his cannon, but return fire quickly destroys his gun. The Joes in the outer ring attempt to regroup.

Steeler decides that the best defense...

With the first wave foiled, the Cobra amphibious assault guns move forward. Stalker radios Hawk with a sitrep and learns that Hawk has already sent the rest of the team to reinforce. Hawk has been following the battle from his position on the launch gantry. The Cobra assault guns catch the MOBAT with a land torpedo.

Gimli and Legolas these guys are not.

Only Hawk stands in position to defend the shuttle.

Cobra Commander gloats over the fact that at least one Joe much have perished in the backblast from the launch. But no! Hawk managed to duck into an emergency blast shelter with seconds to spare. He loads the rest of the Joes into a chopper to follow the retreating Cobra Commander back to his base. Before long, they spot a Cobra seabase floating on the surface, seemingly undefended.

Though they radio the shuttle crew in orbit, an evasive movement burn will take minutes to execute, and the missile is only seconds away.

The Joe assault on the Cobra seabase proceeds successfully, but...

Cobra Commander broadcasts that the base is set to self-destruct in five minutes. Disarming the device would be impossible, given the time.

The Cobra troops prove all too loyal and go down with the ship.

The Joes' ammo is soaked! Their only chance lies with Zap and his solid fuel rocket projectiles.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh

Fun Shoe

Jesus that was a ride from start to finish.

Also Clutch is an rear end in a top hat but what else is new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Nipponophile posted:

As Stalker's team penetrates further into the fortress, he is fortunate enough to make his "spot traps" roll.

I had to reread that panel a lot as a kid because I saw red beams and assumed lasers but than they were solid and it made no sense to me. It took me a long time to realize that they were a spike trap that had been painted red because otherwise they wouldn't have stood out in the panels.

A joke I always enjoyed

habituallyred posted:

Wasn't there some panel with the October Guard bemoaning Imperialist aggression while wiping out the Iranian border patrol? That was a decent joke.

You remember correctly.

I really enjoy the far out designs of Cobra vehicles in the beginning I felt that it showed off the High Tech/Weird Science thing they had going on.

• Locked thread