Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

When I kill you with a motor-car, you should have the common decency to stay dead, you horrid little object

155 issues of the main G.I. Joe book, plus 28 issues of G.I. Joe: Special Missions.

That was a loving amazing comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

155 issues of the main G.I. Joe book, plus 28 issues of G.I. Joe: Special Missions.

That was a loving amazing comic.

You forgot four issues of G.I. Joe: Order of Battle plus the four G.I. Joe Yearbooks! Some of the short stories in the Yearbooks were really good, especially the Tony Salmons one where Snake Eyes has to stop a gas station hold-up using improvised weapons.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 18, 2017

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Servoret posted:

You forgot four issues of G.I. Joe: Order of Battle plus the four G.I. Joe Yearbooks! Some of the short stories in the Yearbooks were really good, especially the Tony Salmons one where Snake Eyes has to stop a gas station hold-up using improvised weapons.

FTFY

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

I suppose it's worth mentioning that IDW, the current publisher of G.I. Joe comics, hired Larry Hama to continue his series. I haven't read any of them, but they picked right back up at issue 156, and I think they're around 250 now.

Maybe I'll look into those once I get caught up.

You know, sometime in 2035.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

I'm assuming that means you will continue to provide this highly valued service until at least 2035.

This thread is like a Well Adjusted Normal Childhood: CliffsNotes Edition for me.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

2035? Ha ha ha, I'm going to be dead way before then...

Let's read issue #14!

So, with Snake Eyes and the rest dead... Wait a minute...

Never mind.

So Dr. Venom tries to kill Snake Eyes, Snake Eyes tries to kill Dr. Venom, Kwinn says "Hey, we all need to work together", and Dr. Venom says "Oh yeah, I've got the real plague toxin over here. The stuff that the Baroness got away with was a fake."

Back at the Pit, Hawk gets the results of the analysis of the microdot that Stalker found last issue.

Make fun if you will, but I think Destro makes the open chest, giant medallion look work.

Back underwater, Dr. Venom seems to be ignoring Kwinn's speeches about teamwork and begins to open a valve, causing water to pour in.

Gen. Flagg arrives at the Pit post haste for a briefing from Hawk.

Now there's a name we're heard before. Oh, and Hawk wasn't joking about Cobra Commander's hobby...

Cobra Commander asks if the Baroness handled the microdot plant herself, and she responds with a totally believable "Of course, why wouldn't I?" while nonchalantly looking away.

In the bunker, Dr. Venom reveals the method to his madness. They must let in enough water for the pressure to equalize with the river outside.

At Joe HQ, the team mounts up in their trusty APC (on sale now!) and heads out to the Fort Wadsworth baseball field for a pickup. Wait, what?

Back at Cobra HQ, Destro makes some offhand comments to Scarface that might possibly, if taken in a certain light, indicate foreknowledge that something bad was going to happen to Cobra Commander shortly. He quickly changes his tune when he finds out that the Commander is not going to Springfield alone as he'd assumed, but with the Baroness as his pilot.

Kwinn remains somewhat suspicious of Dr. Venom, despite all his recent help.

Kwinn seeks encouragement from his otherkin headmates.

The Joes prepare to land on the other side of the mountain from Springfield as Cobra Commander's rocket plane touches down at a camouflaged landing pad inside the ARBCO Furniture Company. (Fans of anagrams, don't strain yourselves.)

Scarface is more than a little suspicious, but he knows he's not exactly a match for Destro.

Oh hey, remember those Cobra troopers from last issue that got parachuted in to keep the Joes from being killed? Turns out not all of them got killed by punji pits, but the survivors are still slightly miffed.

While they get to work on the "volunteer", Stalker and Gung-Ho return from a quick recon into Springfield. Stalker's keen instincts, combined with his ability to rearrange letters, lead him to suspect something is up with the furniture factory.

Destro lands with his airborne troopers near Springfield and force marches them over the mountain in an effort to cut off the Joes.

So that's what this plague thing is all about...

...and the test doesn't exactly go as expected.

Destro makes it just in time to head off the Joe APC.

Inside the factory, Cobra Commander gets word of the firefight outside and heads for his rocket plane. Hawk spots the launch silo doors opening and calls his air support.

One tense countdown later...

His personal mission accomplished, Destro retreats with his remaining troops.

With the factory in flames, the Joes are back to square one.

At least those fish have quieted down.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Doctor Venom. Hardcore enough to be ready to throw down with a ninja armed with only a wrench.

You know, between begging for his life.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

for the record, Venom's method of getting the door open is 100% sound. If you ever find yourself in a water based car crash, where you're trapped and the car is filling up, roll down your window. It'll be scary as hell, but once the water inside the car rises up to the window level, the pressure will be equalized and the door will open right up.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I have a lot of fondness for Dr. Venom and what he brought to the G.I. Joe comics narrative, and Hasbro waited an embarrassingly long time to make a figure out of him

I was long past my toy-buying days when this beauty came out, and I'm 99.9% sure it was specifically for nostalgic weirdos

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Netflix documentary The Toys That Made Us has an episode on Joe. The toy business was wild.

The original Snake Eyes figure was all black because they wanted to cut costs but didn't want to compromise on painting detail across the line.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

I suppose it's worth mentioning that IDW, the current publisher of G.I. Joe comics, hired Larry Hama to continue his series. I haven't read any of them, but they picked right back up at issue 156, and I think they're around 250 now.

I read them for quite a while. They're maybe not up to the best of the Eighties stuff, but they're pretty much solidly the same series as before. I eventually quit reading when the series finally hit a jump the shark moment for me with the ninja soap opera stuff that I couldn't get past.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I've been going through a large but poorly organized aviation related photo archive, and I found this:

Lady Jayne, noooooooooooooo

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Siivola posted:

The Netflix documentary The Toys That Made Us has an episode on Joe. The toy business was wild.

The original Snake Eyes figure was all black because they wanted to cut costs but didn't want to compromise on painting detail across the line.
Just binge watched the Joe, Star Wars, and He Man episodes this morning. If you're reading this thread, you should watch them.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

The interviews with Larry Hama were really good, especially the one where he asks Hasbro "Who does GI Joe fight?" and then gets told that they weren't planning to make badguy toys.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Siivola posted:

Thanks for the heads-up on this. This was a great watch. The interviews were on point, and I only wish they'd included more time with Larry Hama and Jim Shooter.

Anybody that's following this thread should probably go and watch it. We're the very specific target audience.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Anybody who's followed Cyrano's LP of Bomber Crew might find some slight irregularities with this issue.

The Cobra troops plan to walk their prisoners back to the airfield and steal a plane, but Venom is the only trained pilot. They're not altogether sure they can trust him and question him about Kwinn's disappearance...

Snake Eyes, as usual, immediately sets about trying to murder Dr. Venom, but Kwinn reminds him that they need him to fly the plane.

Later that night at the airfield, our merry troupe finds the guards on high alert, probably something to do with the little firefight that broke out there just a couple of issues ago.

They take out the guards and slip into position inside the bomber. Pictured below, a ninja commando manning a WW2-era bomber's dorsal turret:

Doc Venom fires it up, but one of the engines won't turn over. As he ponders what to do, he circles back down the runway, allowing Snake Eyes to destroy the two parked Spitfires to prevent pursuit.

That's right, he's going to push-start the engine...

The Lancaster barely makes it up past the trees, losing her landing gear in the process. Kwinn spells Venom at the yoke so he can settle his nerves and read up on the Lancaster's flight manual.

Suddenly, the plane comes under fire. Turns out there was a third Spitfire in a hangar that they missed. Venom takes back the controls and realizes he'll have to pull some fancy tricks to get away here. The Spitfire pilot keeps attacking from the blind spot where Snake Eyes' guns can't reach.

Meanwhile, back at Cobra headquarters...

More problems aboard the Lancaster as dawn breaks over the Gulf of Mexico. Dr. Venom says the bomb bay doors are slipping open, and the additional drag could prevent them from reaching Florida with their current fuel.

Nah, just kiddin'. He was actually trying to murder a dude. When Kwinn reaches to pull Snake Eyes back up, Venom pulls into a steep climb, tossing Kwinn from the plane. Kwinn manages to barely catch the edge of the bay with his fingertips, but Snake Eyes latches onto his boot when the rope he had been holding snaps. Dr. Venom levels the plane out and walks back to make sure the two fall.

Snake Eyes stops Kwinn from chucking Venom into the gulf because... ummm... actually, I have no idea why. At this point, he's way too much of a liability.

Lest we forget the comic is named G.I. Joe, they put in a token appearance.

And it seems Cobra Commander is a bit suspicious of the timing of Destro's rescue last issue.

Meanwhile, on The Young and the Restless...

The Lancaster, flying low across the gulf, comes across a lone fishing boat. As Kwinn convinces Dr. Venom not to shoot at them for no reason, the boat opens fire first. Seems like they're smugglers who got a bit trigger-happy at the sight of a low-flying plane heading straight towards them. The smugglers hit a fuel tank, causing avgas to spray all over their boat where it is ignited by the muzzle flashes of their guns. OK, yeah, I know that's completely ridiculous... just roll with it.

Just about everything that's not a flight surface gets pitched overboard, and it looks like they just might make Miami after all.

Whereupon they are welcomed by about 200 of Sonny Crockett's good buddies.

Thanks to Venom's earlier radio message, a Cobra lawyer is waiting to take him in hand. Kwinn and Snake Eyes are left to fend for themselves in the county lockup.

And that's another issue done! Join us next time for Intrigue! Romance! New Joes! Betrayal! The Bureau of Engraving and Printing!!!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh

Fun Shoe

Nipponophile posted:

Pictured below, a ninja commando manning a WW2-era bomber's dorsal turret:

You guys can complain about Ninja Bullshit all you want, it's worth it just for this

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yay! The next issue!

This one is great. If the next few are of similar quality, I may have to buy these.

Also, if you're going to choose a WW2 Heavy Bomber (I mean why vintage planes?), the Lancaster is a superior choice. It was an extremely agile and sturdy plane, so those aerobatics in this issue aren't really implausible (to the point of me rolling my eyes). I'm actually surprised it wasn't a toy tie-in.

Please keep doing these.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Venom is a very sweaty man.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nipponophile posted:

Snake Eyes stops Kwinn from chucking Venom into the gulf because... ummm... actually, I have no idea why. At this point, he's way too much of a liability.
They're still in the plane that needs flying!

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Ghostlight posted:

They're still in the plane that needs flying!

It's not the flying I'd want him around for it's the landing without landing gear.

I loved this issue it had everything I wanted, WW2 planes, Venom being a giant rear end in a top hat, Cobra intrigue, Kwinn and Snake-Eyes bonding over how much they hate Venom, and than there was this:

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

That's right, he's going to push-start the engine...

I love how, instead of just being your normal comic book mad scientist who's an expert in multiple unrelated fields of research, Dr. Venom is a mad scientist who happens to know to fly a WWII era bomber. Because that's how Larry Hama rolls.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

robziel posted:

It's not the flying I'd want him around for it's the landing without landing gear.

I loved this issue it had everything I wanted, WW2 planes, Venom being a giant rear end in a top hat, Cobra intrigue, Kwinn and Snake-Eyes bonding over how much they hate Venom, and than there was this:

This is amazing.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

For anybody that wants to follow along at home, Comixology has the G.I. Joe Classics volumes on sale through the 18th. Each volume is about 10 issues and is on sale for $6, down from $15.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ah, time for one of my favorite Cyrano quotes.

The Lancaster bomb bay is not accessible from the interior of the plane, so I posted this picture:

and got this in response

Our Mad Moderator posted:

Hahahah oh god I love the loadout in that picture of the Lancaster bomb bay.

Brick of 4 tiny bomb-lettes (probably incendiaries)

Brick of 4 tiny bomb-lettes

GIANT loving BLOCKBUSTER MOTHERFUCKER

It's pretty much dresden.jpg

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Kick your week off with Joe. Let's Read Issue #16!

Seems like the Joe team is in the middle of a pretty serious firefight with Cobra...

Nah, they're just dicking around on the firing range.

Hawk pulls out some more radio-controlled HISS tanks and gives the team a hard time until the Wolverine missile tank shows up and blows them all away. It's totally cool and everyone should run down to their local Sears and buy one now. As the dust settles, the Wolverine driver pops out for an intro.

As the Joes are called away for a briefing, we cut to Cobra HQ, where an elegant dinner party is being held for Cobra's command staff to officially welcome Major Sebastian Bludd, fearless fighter, master tactician, and published poet. Bludd toasts Cobra Commander with an original verse.

Cobra staff interactions give me a lot of call to use

Back at Joe HQ, Hawk and Gen. Flagg are discussing the current situation. Analysis of the ink found during the raid in Vermont reveals it to be the type used to print U.S. currency. Combined with the biotoxin handling equipment also found, Hawk has deduced that Cobra intends to poison American money at the source. He asks for troops to help protect the Treasury department, but Flagg denies the request. Cobra has announced an all-out attack on the Capitol building, and all available troops are being diverted.

Back at the dinner party...

Hawk makes a last attempt to get some more troops out of Gen. Flagg.

But even as they speak, the Cobra attack on the Capitol begins. A fleet of Cobra transports appears overhead and begins dropping paratroopers.

At the Treasury building, a column of unmarked 18-wheelers rolls up. And by "unmarked", I mean "labeled ARBCO in 4 foot high letters". An assault squad leads Dr. Venom into the building to deploy his toxin.

As chutes continue to dot the sky over the Capitol building, Flagg calls for every available reinforcement. The few Joes watching the Treasury building are going to be on their own.

"Wait..."

"...is that guy wearing a wetsuit, scuba mask, swim fins, and spear gun? In the middle of downtown Washington D.C.???"

--the last thought this Cobra trooper ever had

Since things seem to be going south, Dr. Venom switches to Plan B.

Gen. Flagg and Hawk discover, much to their surprise, that the Cobra transports and paratroopers were radio-controlled scale models. The attack on the Capitol was a diversion after all! Hawk leaps into the VAMP and speeds towards the Treasury building. Now that the jig is up, Cobra Commander rolls out the big guns.

Inside the building, Tripwire manages to defuse Dr. Venom's explosive, but the squad is caught unaware and forced to surrender when HISS tanks burst through the wall. Scar-face takes advantage of the confusion to slip away.

More HISS tanks surround the Wolverine, and things look pretty bad until...

Wild Bill and Airborne's exchange there cracks me up every time. (Note: Since I've been skipping out on the character bios this run-through, the joke is that Wild Bill fancies himself an old-fashioned cowboy, while Airborne is a full-blooded Navajo who gave up a promising law career to jump out of planes for the Army.)

The tanks containing Cobra's leaders circle around to outflank the Wolverine, but other plans have been set in motion.

R.I.P. Baroness

Cobra Commander's HISS steamrolls over the Wolverine, but now Hawk is closing in.

Say what you will about Dr. Venom, but at least he has perfectly reasonable opinions on love and romance.

The VAMP's guns can't do anything to HISS armor, so Hawk has to wing it.

Boarding party away!

Nothing much to see here, just havin' a fistfight on the back of a speeding tank.

R.I.P. Hawk

Next issue: Cobra puts an end to all the infighting and presents a unified front to their outside enemies! Nah, just kidding.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Baroness' glasses being thrown from the explosion is a nice touch.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh

Fun Shoe

"So word just came down, we're gonna need to use the scuba guy in the next issue."

"How the gently caress are we gonna work scuba guy into a battle at the treasury?"

"gently caress it, he just walks around in his flippers and harpoons guys."

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Man, I really love Trip-Wire.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

More GI Joe is the best way to start a week and this issue brings us so many new toys to buy.

I have to admit I'm shocked that this panel wasn't fixed for the comixology collection, I was a very confused lad when it came to the Cobra Commander, Destro, Dr. Venom love triangle. I know somewhere there's a version with it correct but I don't know if it was a second printing or what.

Alacron posted:

"So word just came down, we're gonna need to use the scuba guy in the next issue."

"How the gently caress are we gonna work scuba guy into a battle at the treasury?"

"gently caress it, he just walks around in his flippers and harpoons guys."

Larry Hama gave zero fucks and I'm certain that's exactly what happened

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

I started reading/collecting around issue 33-35 (1985-ish), and quickly went about spending all my christmas and birthday money at the local comic store to get all the back issues. Little 8 year old me was like completely blown away by random European mercenaries, palace intrigue, and mystic Eskimos, and it pretty much ruined me on most other comics and got me into adult oriented comics a lot faster than it should have.

Not coincidentally, the next comic I loved as much as GI Joe was The Nam.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Aww man Nippon, you can't not post the poetry man!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

OK, fine.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

robziel posted:

More GI Joe is the best way to start a week and this issue brings us so many new toys to buy.

I have to admit I'm shocked that this panel wasn't fixed for the comixology collection, I was a very confused lad when it came to the Cobra Commander, Destro, Dr. Venom love triangle. I know somewhere there's a version with it correct but I don't know if it was a second printing or what.

Larry Hama gave zero fucks and I'm certain that's exactly what happened

There was an issue way later, I think maybe it was Special Missions, where Torpedo and new-toy Torpedo (can't remember his name, he was another SCUBA guy) have to infiltrate an island and then actually change out of their wetsuits and into regular army gear to do it once they get there. I was super impressed as a kid that the artist/writer actually gave enough fucks to have that happen.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

I'm posting a thing, Let's Read Issue #17!

Fortunately, Doc is on the job and all business.

As Doc tends to Hawk, the rest of the team discovers one of the downsides to operating in a dense urban area.

Good thing Gung-Ho is on hand to work things out peaceably.

Whoops! WRONG ANSWER!

As Hawk is medevaced out, the Joes organize a pursuit team in their APC to follow after Cobra Commander while Ace flies cover.

Destro is pretty sad, but begins to ponder the question of why Major Bludd would want to kill him. His best pal Cobra Commander is quick to reply.

I like to think that last panel shows Cobra Commander reflexively covering his mouth so Destro doesn't notice him laughing.

Just then, Ace spots the Cobra tank from the air and guides the APC to an intercept.

Oh hey, I wonder what's going on in Miami?

They're not without resources, though. Kwinn pulls a coiled hacksaw blade from a hollowed-out heel, and Snake Eyes slips a hundred dollar bill from the lining of his sleeve. Kwinn sets to work on the barred window, while Snake Eyes sits and stares at his money. Maybe he's thinking about how much ice cream he's going to buy once they escape? The man is truly an enigma.

Major Bludd has hitched a produce truck out of the city, but he decides to upgrade to a transport with built-in hostages when he is stopped at a toll booth. As luck would have it, guess whose bus he jacks?

The Joes have squads watching all roads out of D.C., so Stalker and Grand Slam are quickly in pursuit of Bludd.

In a seedy area of Miami, Kwinn and Snake Eyes are pursuing the most dangerous game: back-alley craps.

Even as the Joes close in, Dr. Venom manages to reach Cobra HQ in Springfield, and air support is immediately scrambled.

Back on the toll road, Grand Slam takes a page out of Hawk's playbook from last issue.

He sneaks along the roof of the bus, with Major Bludd noticing only too late.

Cobra tries to make it hot for the Joes in the APC, but Rock n' Roll has their number.

Ace handles up on the two jet fighters upstairs, but takes some damage from a near miss.

In the confusion, the transport chopper picks up Cobra Commander's HISS and slips away. The damage to Ace's Skystriker leaves him unable to pursue.

At Bethesda Naval Hospital, Major Bludd is wheeled into the Emergency Room. The doctor lists his wounds as critical and shoos the Joes away, but...

Just who is this mysterious female burn victim? You'll have to wait 'til next issue to find out!!!

As the Joes get things sorted, the doctor who lied about Bludd's condition gets on the phone... to Springfield! He fills in Cobra Commander regarding the situation at the hospital. Oh, and he reveals that the female burn victim is in fact the Baroness.

Destro is now eager to find Major Bludd, who he realizes will probably be taken back to G.I. Joe headquarters. In desperation, he decides to fall back on the previous plan of injecting Scar-face with the biotoxin then having him get captured by the Joes. Just one problem, he needs to get a hold of Scar-face first.

Next issue: Coney Island!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I never realized how much I need a Kwinn and Snake-Eyes on the Road series of comics.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

I never realized how much I need a Kwinn and Snake-Eyes on the Road series of comics.

Proteus, do you have any idea how brilliant an idea that is?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I wish I had the drawing skills to realize what that frame makes me think of.

Fear and Loathing is Half the Battle

"We can't stop here, this is B.A.T.S. Country!"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How was she wearing the glasses that were blown away from the wreckage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Choco1980 posted:

I wish I had the drawing skills to realize what that frame makes me think of.

Fear and Loathing is Half the Battle

"We can't stop here, this is B.A.T.S. Country!"

• Locked thread