Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Proteus Jones posted:

I never realized how much I need a Kwinn and Snake-Eyes on the Road series of comics.

Choco1980 posted:

I wish I had the drawing skills to realize what that frame makes me think of.

Fear and Loathing is Half the Battle

"We can't stop here, this is B.A.T.S. Country!"

That is genius and I would read the hell out of it.

Issue #17 is pretty solid, good action, solid character development and two new toys for kids to ask mom & dad to go out and buy now, the Whirlwind twin battle gun and the F.A.N.G. available at your local Toys r Us.

I was kind of sad that we never got a toy of the Cobra jet fighter but the one we did get, which weirdly doesn't show up for another 5 issues, was a very awesome toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

I never realized how much I need a Kwinn and Snake-Eyes on the Road series of comics.

robziel posted:

I was kind of sad that we never got a toy of the Cobra jet fighter but the one we did get, which weirdly doesn't show up for another 5 issues, was a very awesome toy.

Pretty sure this just needs some red paint to cover up those stars, and you're set.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

"It's 90 miles to Coney Island, we've got half a tank of gas, it's dark, and you're wearing a ninja suit."

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Dareon posted:

"It's 90 miles to Coney Island, we've got half a tank of gas, it's dark, and you're wearing a ninja suit."

"..."

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Pursesnatcher posted:

Pretty sure this just needs some red paint to cover up those stars, and you're set.

Yeah but I was never good enough at drawing the Cobra symbol to satisfy me.

Looking at this panel again I find myself wondering just how much air is in his tanks and how lucky he was that no one hit the tanks or his hoses.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Coney Island! Let's Read Issue #18!

I'm not sure where this title comes from. It's not like Destro hasn't been around for the past few issues. Anyway, Hawk spots Scar-face slipping into his hideout shack, then reveals some good news with the Joes that explains where he got his tip-off.

But the postscript, for Scarlett's eyes only, removes all doubt. The card is genuine.

Snake Eyes and Kwinn approach the scene as Destro deplanes atop the roller coaster.

Kwinn is the first to reach Scar-face's shack, and he uses the opportunity to lecture Snake Eyes in the finer points of interrogation.

Scar-face gives Kwinn the information he wants, and Kwinn hands over the keys to the Caddy. Destro notices Scar-face slipping out the back, but is distracted by more immediate matters.

As the firefight rages on, Snake Eyes must make a difficult decision.

Destro disengages to pursue the fleeing Scar-face, while Stalker turns into a white man.

With no available ground transport, Destro is forced to adapt...

A thrilling case through the streets of New York ensues.

An explosion from the Cadillac's gas tank overturns the Joe APC. When they get it righted and resume pursuit to Kennedy Airport...

When Hawk asks what the hell this guy is talking about, the guard explains. Two terrorists just hijacked a passenger jet.

Hawk assembles the team and readies for transport to Libya.

Intelligence photos show a Cobra base in the desert 100 miles south of Tripoli. The Joe battle plan is to intercept Scar-face as he is being transported there.

A last-minute briefing covers the finer details of the plan.

Not shown: how the Joes slip into the middle of Cobra's armored column.

Hawk jumps aboard the HISS and drags Scar-face away. On to phase 2 of the operation.

Destro immediately picks up that the air attack is a diversion, but Grunt and Scarlett immobilize his tank, leaving him stranded. They then rendezvous with the VAMP and leap aboard.

The Joes make a clean getaway, yet Destro seems quite pleased with this result.

Tune in next time for the action-packed climax of our first major story arc! Things will never be the same! Be here for the Battle of the Chaplain's Assistant School! It's a big one, so I won't make you guys wait a month again!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Murray and I have the same philosophy

NOOOOO!!

Not SnakeEyes and Kwinn’s Thelma and Louise car!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh

Fun Shoe

Small point of confusion, how in on this plan is Scarface? He knows that COBRA is sacrificing him to get at the Joes, and kinda goes along with it after spending so much effort to avoid them and go into hiding?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Alacron posted:

Small point of confusion, how in on this plan is Scarface? He knows that COBRA is sacrificing him to get at the Joes, and kinda goes along with it after spending so much effort to avoid them and go into hiding?

Next issue clarifies this a bit.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

not much to add but i just wanna take a sec to say thanks for doing this thread nipponophile, its quite fun getting to see the comics and also learn some history about em too occasionally

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Yes thank you very much Nipponphile this has been a blast for me. I completely forgot that hijacking a plane to Libya was Destro's escape plan and that the Joe's launched a covert op into a foreign country without any sort of approval.

Proteus Jones posted:

Murray and I have the same philosophy

Murray's a pretty smart guy.

I remember saving up my FLAG points and my allowance toorder the MANTA, when it finally arrived my little kid brain wasn't really able to process the massive amounts of disappointment I felt.
Looking at it now I don't know what else I could have expected but disappointment, but I guess little me thought it would be the coolest poo poo ever.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Hold on to your butts, butt-holders. poo poo's about to get real. Let's Read Issue #19!

Hawk has called Gen. Flagg to the Pit for a debriefing with the recently-acquired Scar-face. Not entirely happy with his recent treatment at the hands of Cobra, Scar-face spills the beans on the plague scheme and even turns over a vial of antidote he managed to snag during one of his courier runs.

Hawk's plan is classic sleight of hand: make Cobra think the Joe HQ is in the motor pool, while sealing off the Pit underground. Even though the surface is compromised, the true HQ will be safe.

As both G.I. Joe and Cobra formulate their battle plans, Snake Eyes and Kwinn reach the end of a more personal mission. With the information they got from Scar-face last issue, they've tracked down Dr. Venom to his hidden lab near the docks of the old Brooklyn Navy Yard.

Their heartfelt reunion is soon interrupted by the arrival of dozens of Cobra troop transport helicopters.

Across the Narrows at Fort Wadsworth, the Joes are seeing to the evacuation of the Chaplain's Assistant School staff by busing them off to a "retreat". Meanwhile, Wild Bill arrives with the prisoner Major Bludd in tow.

Something something Geneva Convention... something something War Crimes...

As the Cobra troops approach Dr. Venom's lab, Kwinn and Snake Eyes are forced to scrounge for weapons.

Naturally, it's a trap.

On Gen. Flagg's order, the Baroness is brought into the pre-fab fortress and the Pit is sealed off. Speaking of that fortress...

Hawk orders the Joes to take the other prisoners out of the Motor Pool as the fortress is raised. Clutch and the others load Major Bludd and Scar-face onto the VAMP to take a ride around the perimeter, where they spot the inbound Cobra chopper fleet.

Cobra air-to-ground missiles rain down, and smoke fills the air. When visibility returns...

With their air and infantry assets decimated, Destro orders the HISS armor forward. The Joes are forced to deploy their untested robotic weapons systems.

Dr. Venom has a simple solution to the matter.

He assures Cobra Commander that the SNAKE armors have a failsafe built into the weapons. They cannot fire at anything painted Cobra blue. Hawk seems to recognize Snake Eyes' familiar gait, even as Dr. Venom taunts him over the armor's radio. Venom is aware that Snake Eyes might use his formidable strength of will to escape the suit's control, but...

Unnoticed in the fray, a single Cobra saboteur in a FANG helicopter lands atop the Joe fortress with enough explosives to bring the whole thing down. Doc hears the chopper landing, but Major Bludd takes advantage of his distraction to strike.

Bludd rewards Scar-face's assistance by abandoning him and taking to the skies with the Baroness in tow. The timer on the explosives continues to tick down.

Doc comes to and begins to carry Gen. Flagg outside for an immediate medevac. He is forced to leave Scar-face chained to his cell since Bludd took the keys with him.

R.I.P. Kwinn, R.I.P. Dr. Venom

So, heavy stuff, huh? This was the end of the first big story arc, but the events covered herein will affect things for years to come.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh

Fun Shoe

Rest in peace Kwinn, you were the best

Rest in pizza Dr Venom, you were the worst.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

He assures Cobra Commander that the SNAKE armors have a failsafe built into the weapons. They cannot fire at anything painted Cobra blue. Hawk seems to recognize Snake Eyes' familiar gait, even as Dr. Venom taunts him over the armor's radio. Venom is aware that Snake Eyes might use his formidable strength of will to escape the suit's control, but...

Speaking of garbage toys from the Joe line, the SNAKE was also very disappointing. These panels of the suit in action are false advertising-- when the plastic pieces were snapped over a figurine, it basically had no range of motion at all. The PAC/RATs also kind of stunk. They were tiny and easy to break. On the other hand, the base was actually a cool toy and gets short shrift here.

Edit: Thinking about it for a minute, now I remember that the SNAKE arms could rotate since the figurine's arms couldn't go in them, but they were connected to the torso by a weird rubber gasket thing that you had to line up just right on both sides of the body before you could snap the whole thing together. It was janky as hell.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 21, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This was the only issue of the comic I had and I read it repeatedly as a kid. Thanks for the memories! I remember the bandaged Baroness and dead General Flagg and wondered when they'd get to those developments in the cartoon and of course they never did.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Oh wow look what I missed while I was out of town, I was looking forward to this issue because it's a hell of a conclusion to this story arc. Kwinn's post-death revenge on Dr Venom was amazing to me as a kid to say nothing of the four character deaths.

Looking back on this issue it definitely fulfilled a serious toy quota as almost every single available vehicle makes an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

So it's finally become apparent to me, as I'm sure it has to many others, that I'm not ever going to finish this readthrough. I really shouldn't be surprised since my success rate on long term projects hovers around 0.00%.

Hopefully some of you enjoyed my crap, and if you'd like to continue the story, I'd suggest you watch for sales on Comixology.

I'm sorry that I couldn't follow through with this, but I guess that's just where I'm at right now.

• Locked thread