Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

So excited for this thread, I was just thinking I should reread the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

I always loved the Oktober Guard they were such great characters. The stuff with Hawk in this issue always confused me as a kid.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Dareon posted:

Also that RTV would be a really impractical toy. It would break in at least three places if you looked at it funny.

I always wondered if it was designed after some other toy line that they'd gotten rights too or were in negotiations for.

That they never made a toy of the Oktober Guard's vehicle is a shame.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Nipponophile posted:

As Stalker's team penetrates further into the fortress, he is fortunate enough to make his "spot traps" roll.

I had to reread that panel a lot as a kid because I saw red beams and assumed lasers but than they were solid and it made no sense to me. It took me a long time to realize that they were a spike trap that had been painted red because otherwise they wouldn't have stood out in the panels.

A joke I always enjoyed

habituallyred posted:

Wasn't there some panel with the October Guard bemoaning Imperialist aggression while wiping out the Iranian border patrol? That was a decent joke.

You remember correctly.

I really enjoy the far out designs of Cobra vehicles in the beginning I felt that it showed off the High Tech/Weird Science thing they had going on.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So let's talk about Herb Trimpe.

Herb Trimpe passed away in 2015 and the dude was a giant; one of those unsung heroes who never quite manages to stick in the consciousness like a Kirby or a Romita but who's always there, year in and year out, churning out quality work. He mattered as much to comics as anyone, and he seems like he was a pretty awesome dude, and I want more people to know about him. So now you do.

Holy poo poo that's awesome, thank you I had no idea.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Haskell's gun always amused me because as a child all I could see was Megatron and I half expected it to transform and start ranting about the Autobots.

I also liked that Cobra Commander is only in the issue twice, I enjoyed the idea that Cobra was so big and was active in so many places that the Joes could be going all out to foil a plan that the Commander only tangentially cares about because it amused him.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

I remember not liking issue #10 as a kid but I honestly don't know why. Looking back on it, it sets up a lot of stories that are coming soon and is a solid issue.

CzarChasm posted:

Where are you getting these scans from? I didn't see it mentioned in the OP. Are these collected anywhere?

I own the entire run and am a little jealous of the coloring in the digital versions everyone else has.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Alacron posted:

So I'm guessing the MOBAT was destroyed so they could make room for new toys hardware?

Wow I'd never looked at it like that, that's a very interesting idea especially because we don't see one again for a few issues and they do "showcase" another vehicle during part of that time.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Nipponophile posted:

So I just turned 40 today

Happy Birthday December birthday buddy!

quote:

As a kid I always wondered if there was a Laurel and Hardy joke there that I was missing, or if it was just "don't upset the crazy gringo with a gun."
This comic left me very frustrated that I had to wait a month to find out what happened next, who was that tapping on the door, what was on the micro-dot, what's Cobra Commander up to? Not that any of the previous issues were bad but this arc was were my interest in this series took off. I remember asking my parents what a micro-dot was and them not really knowing but using microfiche as an example of what it probably was.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Ghostlight posted:

They're still in the plane that needs flying!

It's not the flying I'd want him around for it's the landing without landing gear.

I loved this issue it had everything I wanted, WW2 planes, Venom being a giant rear end in a top hat, Cobra intrigue, Kwinn and Snake-Eyes bonding over how much they hate Venom, and than there was this:

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

More GI Joe is the best way to start a week and this issue brings us so many new toys to buy.

I have to admit I'm shocked that this panel wasn't fixed for the comixology collection, I was a very confused lad when it came to the Cobra Commander, Destro, Dr. Venom love triangle. I know somewhere there's a version with it correct but I don't know if it was a second printing or what.

Alacron posted:

"So word just came down, we're gonna need to use the scuba guy in the next issue."

"How the gently caress are we gonna work scuba guy into a battle at the treasury?"

"gently caress it, he just walks around in his flippers and harpoons guys."

Larry Hama gave zero fucks and I'm certain that's exactly what happened

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Proteus Jones posted:

I never realized how much I need a Kwinn and Snake-Eyes on the Road series of comics.

Choco1980 posted:

I wish I had the drawing skills to realize what that frame makes me think of.

Fear and Loathing is Half the Battle

"We can't stop here, this is B.A.T.S. Country!"

That is genius and I would read the hell out of it.

Issue #17 is pretty solid, good action, solid character development and two new toys for kids to ask mom & dad to go out and buy now, the Whirlwind twin battle gun and the F.A.N.G. available at your local Toys r Us.

I was kind of sad that we never got a toy of the Cobra jet fighter but the one we did get, which weirdly doesn't show up for another 5 issues, was a very awesome toy.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Pursesnatcher posted:

Pretty sure this just needs some red paint to cover up those stars, and you're set.

Yeah but I was never good enough at drawing the Cobra symbol to satisfy me.

Looking at this panel again I find myself wondering just how much air is in his tanks and how lucky he was that no one hit the tanks or his hoses.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Yes thank you very much Nipponphile this has been a blast for me. I completely forgot that hijacking a plane to Libya was Destro's escape plan and that the Joe's launched a covert op into a foreign country without any sort of approval.

Proteus Jones posted:

Murray and I have the same philosophy

Murray's a pretty smart guy.

I remember saving up my FLAG points and my allowance toorder the MANTA, when it finally arrived my little kid brain wasn't really able to process the massive amounts of disappointment I felt.
Looking at it now I don't know what else I could have expected but disappointment, but I guess little me thought it would be the coolest poo poo ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Oh wow look what I missed while I was out of town, I was looking forward to this issue because it's a hell of a conclusion to this story arc. Kwinn's post-death revenge on Dr Venom was amazing to me as a kid to say nothing of the four character deaths.

Looking back on this issue it definitely fulfilled a serious toy quota as almost every single available vehicle makes an appearance.

• Locked thread