Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Please do. I'd like a companion book and chances are, that hardcover guide might be the only thing we get. I'd like to know if it's worth getting or not before it goes out of print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Apperently the preload for tew2 is live on ps4 and xboxone. Takes about 30 gigs

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'm so very looking forward to this. The original is one of my favourite action/horror games of the last few years, though I replayed it last week (149 deaths) and was surprised at how many times I found myself saying 'oh poo poo, I loving hate this part' (usually once or twice per chapter). Not a big fan of the DLC though. Part of me wants to finish it before Friday, part of me just wants to watch a playthrough.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I started the DLC this morning and hoh boy this stealth honestly feels worse than the stealth in the main game.

Its the RE Revelations 2 DLC all over again, isn't it.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Any plans for VR with this title by chance? A future addition?

After playing Resident Evil 7 on my PSVR, it seems I am so spoiled by that experience it is hard to go back to playing horror games normally now. Which sucks, since I am a huge fan of all horror games. I never got far in TEW, but honestly never gave it a huge chance. It's still locked and loaded for Steam Link or on my PC.

VR is making horror games just absolutely insane and intense. It's hard to go back.

I am glad I played Soma before this dilemna hit.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ineffiable posted:

Please do. I'd like a companion book and chances are, that hardcover guide might be the only thing we get. I'd like to know if it's worth getting or not before it goes out of print.

The guide is by Rick Barba, who's been around and writing guides like it for decades. It's pretty good, and there's a big art gallery in the back with a couple of creator interviews.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I'm glad to see other people liked the first as much as I did, and I'm super excited for 2. I can corroborate the OP's claim that telling people this is one of the best games of that year or best horror games you've played gets you tons of "are you ok?" reactions.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I've found it depends on how much people like weird/surreal horror to begin with. The folks I know who are into that loved the game. People who like more straightforward horror tended to find the game a stupid, incomprehensible mess.

For my money, the weird dreamlike atmosphere, the seemingly random transitions and the fact that everything felt so surreal were instant selling points for me.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'm so very looking forward to this. The original is one of my favourite action/horror games of the last few years, though I replayed it last week (149 deaths) and was surprised at how many times I found myself saying 'oh poo poo, I loving hate this part' (usually once or twice per chapter). Not a big fan of the DLC though. Part of me wants to finish it before Friday, part of me just wants to watch a playthrough.

Just finished chapter 11 and I feel the same way reflecting on it. There's some scenes that are neat and I liked the setting. But hoo boy, there's a few things dragging down this chapter.

Well on to chapter 12!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've found it depends on how much people like weird/surreal horror to begin with. The folks I know who are into that loved the game. People who like more straightforward horror tended to find the game a stupid, incomprehensible mess.

For my money, the weird dreamlike atmosphere, the seemingly random transitions and the fact that everything felt so surreal were instant selling points for me.

It's the direct to DVD Italian version of Silent Hill.

Depending on taste for crazy fever dreams of blood and nightmare, that is either the highest praise or a dealbreaker.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Night10194 posted:

Depending on taste for crazy fever dreams of blood and nightmare, that is either the highest praise or a dealbreaker.

Man, can you imagine if they'd got Dario Argento to direct the second SH movie? It'd be like the film at the end of In The Mouth Of Madness.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Okay chapter 12 was a good makeup for chapter 11. Good stopping point for me for now I think.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Night10194 posted:

I liked how even when it was directly referencing the Silent Hill games it was doing their own riff on them.

Like the bro with safe for a head is clearly meant to evoke Pyramid Head, but the introduction and way the creature actually functions are done way differently.

Tatiana is similar- she seems like she could be akin to Lisa from Silent Hill 1 (They have very similar outfits, even if they're both nurses), but the characters end up being way different.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 12, 2017

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It also has SH4's gimmick of your safehouse becoming more and more unsafe as the game goes on, an element I wish more games would do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It also has SH4's gimmick of your safehouse becoming more and more unsafe as the game goes on, an element I wish more games would do.

I mean, it doesn't really. The hospital just gets more dilapidated. The Room is actively out to murder your rear end by the halfway point.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I started the DLC this morning and hoh boy this stealth honestly feels worse than the stealth in the main game.

Its the RE Revelations 2 DLC all over again, isn't it.

Yeesh, I'm not sure I would go THAT far.

Oxxidation posted:

I mean, it doesn't really. The hospital just gets more dilapidated. The Room is actively out to murder your rear end by the halfway point.

Yeah pretty much. You don't get outright attacked in there.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Okay maybe it's not that bad but I haven't enjoyed it as much as the main game's stealth so far.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Thanks to Silent Hill 4, I am always expecting my safe house to turn into a war zone at some point and am pleasantly surprised when it doesn't.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a very slow decline, which I thought was nice. Ruvik showing up in the safe room every now and again was pretty fun even if he doesn't ever do anything. I appreciate how cold and lonely it suddenly feels without the music and Tatiana when she finally goes too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Just did 13. gently caress that guy coming back. I got to the second save point in 14 and that's my stop point for the night. I love the environment design they do in this game. Seriously.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I didn't dislike the first game because it had a surreal atmosphere and seemingly-random transitions, I disliked it because in retrospect I barely even remembered it had combat outside of running away from things that can kill you in one hit while you try to figure out whether you're in a scripted flight sequence or an actual boss battle

The gameplay is what made me mad and I'm hoping TEW 2 learns from what people didn't like

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only one hit kills that actively bothered me in the game are some of the Ruvik clones, particularly the one in Chapter 15 during the final arena segment.

There's also Ruvik in the RE1 mansion I guess, but even there I think the problem isn't the one hit kill as much as having to occasionally stop exploring to either run or hide.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Raxivace posted:

The only one hit kills that actively bothered me in the game are some of the Ruvik clones, particularly the one in Chapter 15 during the final arena segment.

There's also Ruvik in the RE1 mansion I guess, but even there I think the problem isn't the one hit kill as much as having to occasionally stop exploring to either run or hide.

My problem with Ruvik in the mansion is that he tends to appear in areas where there were traps around; at least in my experience and to get away from him and hide you had to go through the traps. It kept putting you in between a rock and a hard place and that's why I feel it was poorly designed.

If the mansion had just Ruvik seeking you out but it had plenty of areas to run and hide in without hindrance, or if Ruvik didn't chase you but the mansion was filled with traps then that'd be fine. Having both is just a dick move. That's kind of my problem with the original in a nutshell though, there's a lot I really like about the first game but it throws dick moves that aren't particularly fun too often at the player and I also don't like the abundance of one hit kill enemies in the game either, especially when first playing the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My steam store page says there's 21 hours left till the game unlocks! :toot:

Some people on the horrible awful Steam discussion board are saying it's unlocking in fewer hours than that for them though. Does anyone happen to know what region I could definitely not pretend to be in with a vpn to unlock it at the earliest juncture?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 12, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Some people on the horrible awful Steam discussion board are saying it's unlocking in fewer hours than that for them though. Does anyone happen to know what region I could definitely not pretend to be in with a vpn to unlock it at the earliest juncture?

Probably Australia or Japan as they'd be the furthest timezone into the future?

Barraiya
Jun 3, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I'm in Australia and it says approx 4 hours until unlock.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
VPN doesn't seem to be working for me! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong because the process seems pretty simple, but Steam still thinks I am where I actually am. I suppose I will be waiting 12 more hours then!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Thanks for that video cjacobs it clears a lot of poo poo up. I don't mind a bit of puzzling to understand a story but something about how TEW goes about it just threw me for a loop.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Was watching a stream of this the other day and I'm not sure if they get the flow they were hoping for. I came in around chapter 2 and it had some legit good moments in it that had myself and the streamer pretty spooked- but Sebastian never shut the hell up during all of it and his voice acting seems kind of bad? He's got this washed up movie actor kinda gruff tone to him and it doesn't really sound that good.

Then he hit the open world segment and all the built up tension just vanished instantly. It wasn't scary at all and it was just a big boring unstructured roaming field. Enemies stopped being scary and were just random video game things to kill, there were no setpieces... just not what I'm looking for in a game at all.

I wonder if the rest of the game is like that or if it gets back on rails after a bit because it was boring as all hell.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I would not consider watching a stream of a horror game to be indicative of how it feels to play a horror game, as you have the benefit of a second layer of removal from the action.

I've been playing it early to write some online guides about it, and my embargo's up as of two hours ago. It's not as unfocused and weird as the first one, because Sebastian knows some of what's going on and is, in large part, going into someone else's specific scenario. On the other hand, the first major antagonist is genuinely creepy.

I find it a lot more playable than the first, with a lot fewer of the specific annoyances that always kept me from completing the first game; it's less gimmicky and lets you explore more open levels at a more leisurely pace. However, I would recommend that if the difficulty and scarcity of the first game is what had your attention, you play TEW2 on hard mode straight away. "Survival" difficulty has some challenging bits, but in general, you end up with just enough resources to get by as long as you sneak or assassinate enemies whenever possible.

The stupid comparison game: TEW2 has a lot more Silent Hill 2 in it than I was expecting, with a lot of sequences where you're left alone to pick your way through a small city map at your own pace. The maps aren't particularly big and moving between them is an adventure in itself, but there are also a lot of events, surprisingly powerful roaming monsters, and hidden secrets lying around. I think it's probably a better game than TEW, although it lacks some of its predecessor's constant sense of oppressive dread.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just wanted to say that when I checked youtube today I saw lots of pretty bald faced spoilers for this game just being thrown out there, such as the final boss, so watch out CJacobs.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm excited as hell to play this but I have to either wait until Monday or feign being scared when I play it with my friend. A tough choice.

This isn't really a spoiler because it's in one of the trailers' thumbnails, but it looks like some of the unused designs from the TEW artbook have been given life. It's a cool thing I wouldn't have noticed without SA (thanks CJacobs!).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've been playing it for about 2 hours now thanks to getting my VPN up and working! I really enjoying it so far but it is very, very different from the first game. In ways I didn't really expect! having lots of fun! I also am kind of lukewarm and Sebastian's new voice acting though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I've been playing it for about 2 hours now thanks to getting my VPN up and working! I really enjoying it so far but it is very, very different from the first game. In ways I didn't really expect! having lots of fun! I also am kind of lukewarm and Sebastian's new voice acting though.

What region did you choice for your vpn? Might give this vpn a try. :buddy:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hong-Kong. You might have to restart your computer like I did or else steam will continue to think you are in your present region.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

:patriot: thanks a bunch. Thank god for fast internet. Let's see if I need a video to understand what the hell is going on in this installment. :v:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mindblast posted:

:patriot: thanks a bunch. Thank god for fast internet. Let's see if I need a video to understand what the hell is going on in this installment. :v:

You shouldn't.

This has a lot of the truly bizarre imagery of the first game, but without being quite so disjointed, and it has the advantage of being way more about Sebastian himself than the first game ever was. There are a couple of elements of it that aren't immediately obvious or which are explained in files, but overall I don't think anyone will have a problem following the story.

It's very much a game about a Sad Dad, however, to the point where I expect a lot of The Last of Us jokes.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Eh, it doesn't seem to work for me. Oh well, it was only a few hours saved. I'll just wait I guess.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The way you describe it makes me think of Dead Space 2 vs 1. A much better game but loses some of the horror aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

The way you describe it makes me think of Dead Space 2 vs 1. A much better game but loses some of the horror aspect.

I'd argue with that description of Dead Space 2, which is one of the most irritating games I've ever played, but it's not a bad comparison otherwise.

One of the big reasons why The Evil Within works as a horror experience is that, on an initial run, you have no idea what's happening or why. It's built to run on what's essentially dream logic, which sets up a big part of its atmosphere, along with the general tendency towards difficult or impossible combat.

In Evil Within 2, since you and Sebastian know some of what's going on, that's lost. On the other hand, because much of the game's world this time around has a significantly more consistent set of rules, it's a smoother experience and a much less disjointed narrative. It also isn't without its own scares and sense of imagery.

My go-to description of the first Evil Within is that it's Shinji Mikami's greatest-hits album, but whoever put it together didn't really consider how to arrange the songs and listed them in a random order. Evil Within 2 is like a follow-up album that Mikami produced, which has a couple of cover songs, and you can hear his influence, but it's mostly its own thing.

• Locked thread