Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Really enjoying the game so far, though I'm not very far in. The only enemies that are really troublesome so far are the zombies in white that don't die to sneak kills. That said, I totally avoided both the two weird hosed up things on the north end of town and the two crawlers that show up after the gas station so I don't know how nasty to deal with they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

1stGear posted:

Really enjoying the game so far, though I'm not very far in. The only enemies that are really troublesome so far are the zombies in white that don't die to sneak kills. That said, I totally avoided both the two weird hosed up things on the north end of town and the two crawlers that show up after the gas station so I don't know how nasty to deal with they are.

If the hosed up thing is the weird mutant surrounded by green fumes, I usually hit those from afar with a single big hit. gently caress those things.
The crawlers you mention are nastier imo. fast and a low profile. They get knocked over by a stiff breeze though, even with basic bullets. Once you get a steadier crosshair through your skill tree they are easier to deal with.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
For anyone wondering about game length, it's the same case as with Prey. If you beeline for the end, you're going to miss a big chunk of the game. There's a bunch of neat-to-great sidecontent interwoven with the main game, don't skip out on it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There's also a fairly major character sub-plot for Sebastian that's hidden behind three of the collectibles, with no indication they're there and no run-up to it. You can miss the first one very easily.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Wanderer posted:

There's also a fairly major character sub-plot for Sebastian that's hidden behind three of the collectibles, with no indication they're there and no run-up to it. You can miss the first one very easily.

If it's what I think you're talking about, it's getting spirited away by the ladyghost. I think that happened three times to me. No idea if I missed any.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
How do you slide down ladders with keyboard and mouse?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wanderer posted:

I missed the first section of it on my first playthrough. Some non-spoilery advice for people who don't want to miss it (you shouldn't, it's great): Make sure you have the first three projector slides before leaving the first hub. You're probably gonna get the third one before the second.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 18, 2017

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
One of the reasons I ultimately quit playing the first game is that it felt just a little bit too much on the jank side control wise where I never felt like I could get the game to do exactly what I wanted consistently.

Like when CJacobs streamed the original recently and Seb would like pick up the wrong item or do some action that was just not quite what the player intended. That was happening to me and got quite frustrating.

Does the second game feel tighter in that regard or is it similar?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah, the controls are way better. They took the original controls and refined them a whole lot (i.e. made them even more like The Last Of Us).

edit: Specific to your complaint, when there are multiple items and things to look at on top of each other, it'll do the one you are actually aiming at now instead of whatever's closest/on top.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So what I don't really get a sense of is what this game does better than any other game in the genre and thats kind of why i haven't bought it yet.

What is the Evil Within's strength?

EDIT: i should add that I really dont watch LPs and would never spoil a horror game for myself on purpose unless i never wanted to play it, so i havent seen entire levels, just small clips here and there

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If I had to describe it I'd say that its strength is its cohesiveness. They knew exactly what they wanted to make when they created this game and I think they pulled it off. In my opinion there is not a single wasted setpiece. The care and attention to detail in every corner of the game world (and the linear areas you explore) is really cool and draws you in. The core gameplay is very tightly refined from the first and they absolutely heard and paid attention to complaints of the first. I think it just all comes together to make a game that does really fun and unique things with relatively standard cliches of its genre.

edit: Also the story is more involving and makes you care than 99% of horror game stories, and unlike the first game's it's pretty easy to understand, which is a point in its favor.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 15, 2017

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Bust Rodd posted:

So what I don't really get a sense of is what this game does better than any other game in the genre and thats kind of why i haven't bought it yet.

What is the Evil Within's strength?

EDIT: i should add that I really dont watch LPs and would never spoil a horror game for myself on purpose unless i never wanted to play it, so i havent seen entire levels, just small clips here and there
Personally I think it's because EW2 is just open enough that you've got options, but not the usual open world which is 90% empty. It's also got a nice density too. You're going to hit something, be it story, quest, or just some snippet of background while roaming around.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Hello thread,

Never really played a horror game before, but I do love this one. I am a huge baby so I can only play for like an hour at a time before I need to take a break. I do enjoy the exploring stuff, even if it is just gathering stuff half the time. It gives a feeling that I am still in control and that I am actually trying to survive.

Question though. Whats up with those religious statues? I have encountered 3 now, but was not able to do anything with them. Did I miss something?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Break them, there's a key inside you can use to unlock goodies. You'll get a pop up telling you where to use them after you pick up your first key. Glad you're enjoying it!

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
oh yea, i figured they where collectibles. Never dawned on me that I should destroy them

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Rookoo posted:

How do you slide down ladders with keyboard and mouse?

Turns out It's Q.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Is there a difference in damage between weapons of the same type? I found a second handgun; I know it shares upgrades and ammo with the starter gun, just curious if there's any reason to use the starter over this one

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My opinion so far is that bushes are overpowered as hell. Like, the instant you get into a bush all the enemies seem to forget you exist, which is pretty hilarious if they're also in the bush.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Taking it slow so I'm only in Chapter 4. Current impression, Why/how is there a gas leak in here? It's a drat transdimensional bypass tunnel in a computer simulation created by a bunch of brains playing make believe together, there is no need for this.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Early game spoilers: Is there something I'm supposed to do when the ghost lady spawns in the world? I've just booked it away from her every time and that's worked out, but I don't know if I'm missing something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From what I've found, running around until you find an enemy ends the encounter immediately... but other than that, it seems like there's a range that sorta zones in on you and you can break it by just booking it in a single direction. I've got no idea how you're intended to do it though because waiting it out takes an obscenely long time (took about 5 minutes the one time I tried it).

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Chapter 6 is kicking my rear end. :negative:

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

Wanderer posted:

There's probably something to be said for "git gud," yes. I've noticed that when it forces you to fight, TEW2 is huge on weak point exploitation to get by. If you can't stealth a dude, you're supposed to avoid him entirely or put a bullet between his eyes. Just dumping rounds into center mass is never a good idea.

One thing that helped me a lot in Chapter 3 is that you can find a lot of hand axes just randomly lying around Union, and even on Survival, that's still a one-hit kill on a standard enemy. If you can catch more than one with the same swing, it'll drop them both. Standard enemies also have the object permanence of goldfish and reset quickly once you manage to break line of sight, so if you can escape an ambush without shooting, you can easily come back in a couple of minutes from a better tactical angle.

I'm up to chapter 13 right now. I found that you can a lot of mileage out of the standard pistol if you do the old Resident Evil trick of shoot zombie leg first to make them stumble, then go for the head shot. If you upgraded the pistol for critical damage, there's a very high chance that you will just shoot their leg off with one bullet, and then run up for a stump instant kill. That works very well on the default survival difficulty.

Also there does seem to be something off with the pistol's collision detection when an enemy is right in your face. This is very obvious when you the pistol with laser sight. The beam is on the body, but the bullet is hitting behind them.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Caidin posted:

Taking it slow so I'm only in Chapter 4. Current impression, Why/how is there a gas leak in here? It's a drat transdimensional bypass tunnel in a computer simulation created by a bunch of brains playing make believe together, there is no need for this.

The deal with Union seems to be that within the bounds of the simulation, it's effectively as real as it gets and you have no way to muck around with the "rules." You still need supplies, you can't walk through walls, and if something happens to put an obstacle in your way, it has to be circumvented in a typical way rather than just believing real hard.

Otherwise, it wouldn't be a problem for the people trapped inside it who went in knowing what it is. They'd just IDQQD and murder their way to a resolution.

symphoniccacophony posted:

Also there does seem to be something off with the pistol's collision detection when an enemy is right in your face. This is very obvious when you the pistol with laser sight. The beam is on the body, but the bullet is hitting behind them.

Yeah, I noticed that with the shotgun too. I'm not sure if it's a collision detection bug or some quirk with how the crosshairs interact with where Sebastian's actually aiming.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Update: Winging bottles at enemy heads to set them up for a sneak kill definitely still works, and it is still very effective! :toot:

symphoniccacophony posted:

This game and the first both have the bullets actually come out of Sebastian from the lefthand side, instead of being hitscan from the center of the screen. So when an enemy is right up in your face you may miss them because he's actually shooting past them at the crosshair even if from your pov it's still over the enemy. It's a really weird way to do aiming and I dunno why they did it that way, possibly to make the crossbow bolts easier to program.

edit: It's also pretty obvious at the tail end of the game (seriously don't mouse over this) when you're playing as Kidman in the final chapter.
You have to weirdly adjust your aim up/downward just the slightest bit because she's closer to the middle of the screen than Seb and the bullets still come out of her toward the crosshair.

Dead Space 1 also had bullets (or similar) come out of Isaac to fit with the aiming laser and it had the same problem, which Dead Space 2 solved by just rooting the crosshair in the center and having him always aim at whatever was intersecting it no matter where he sat on the screen.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 15, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

You could see that in the first Dead Rising with the heavy machine gun, too. There was a dead zone directly in front of Frank where the bullets didn't interact with anything.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Finished the game in a burst, pretty good. gently caress the Laura part of the Father Theo fight though, I only managed to luck out in frying her with the intersection flame trap, the two wheel traps were nowhere near where I expected them to fire.. I'm totally immature about the Myra aesthetic, though. Could they have chosen any color other than white?

Ending cinematic spoiler question: It went too fast, what was the deal with Kidman looking at her hand as she walked away? Otherwise it looks like they left open a hook. Self-aware STEM? Myra's not totally gone?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Wanderer posted:

The deal with Union seems to be that within the bounds of the simulation, it's effectively as real as it gets and you have no way to muck around with the "rules." You still need supplies, you can't walk through walls, and if something happens to put an obstacle in your way, it has to be circumvented in a typical way rather than just believing real hard.

Otherwise, it wouldn't be a problem for the people trapped inside it who went in knowing what it is. They'd just IDQQD and murder their way to a resolution.

That only seems to be the case when the system is working as intended, Without a forsaken child powering it all bets are off. That's why photo dude can play haunted house with you.

I just cleared town hall. The mobius admin just chilling out on his back lit command sofa is fantastic and I want to punch his face forever.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pyrolocutus posted:

Ending cinematic spoiler question: It went too fast, what was the deal with Kidman looking at her hand as she walked away? Otherwise it looks like they left open a hook. Self-aware STEM? Myra's not totally gone?

Kidman had some weird poo poo happen to that hand in the DLC of the first game, the game never really explains what though. The stinger was either Myra still being in STEM somehow or Ruvik's ready for more brain adventures, possibly with Joseph. Hope you're ready for more DLC/Evil Within 3:The Evil Further Within

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
ChickenHeart's current summary of The Evil Within 2 as of Chapter 6:

Sure, they're mindless haunted zombies, but drat do these guys have no spatial awareness whatsoever. Any encounter with a group that's anywhere near some bushes/crates turns this game into a musical segment from Scooby-Doo. Game's still fun, though; just rough around the edges.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
On the one hand, I feel like the enemies give up just a bit too fast, but on the other I don't really mind that because the hiding part is the part I like, not the chase part.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Started the game on survival and I might bump it down to casual for my first playthrough, because I'm having a REAL rough time out there. I'm still in chapter 3 and basically it took me over an hour to just explore the area outside the first safehouse and the train yard. At this rate I'll be playing the game in 2019!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

On Nightmare at least if you do actually gently caress up trying to escape an enemy you lose a ton of health. OTOH that more or less stopped happening to me once I learned that bushes and shrubbery are apparently things the zombies just plain don't understand. Sebastian goes in, he doesn't come out. The zombies can't explain that. They just give up and go home.

Also TEW2 seems to throw a lot more health restoration at you than the first game did, especially with the coffee pots that recharge even when the game is turned off. I haven't even bothered with that part of the upgrade tree yet.

Maybe things will change if I ever finish chapter 3 lol, though I'm getting close.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ChickenHeart posted:

Sure, they're mindless haunted zombies, but drat do these guys have no spatial awareness whatsoever. Any encounter with a group that's anywhere near some bushes/crates turns this game into a musical segment from Scooby-Doo. Game's still fun, though; just rough around the edges.

I gotta admit, I do feel like they hammered down the engine well enough, but there was a polish phase they didn't get to before release. There's some weird stuff in the final game, like how you can find a random Marrow segment way before anybody explains what the Marrow is, or the exact distance at which your communicator can pick up Resonance readings. Sometimes you have to be sticking your face into it at point-blank range; sometimes you're a couple of hundred yards out and the game appears to be guiding you towards a solid brick wall. It's really just down to mechanical/design fine-tuning.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Jesus loving Christ this game, when you unlock the shooting gallery do the first thing without missing a shot and the nurse says "You're the best around detective" and Seb replies with "Nothing's ever gonna keep me down".

Game of the year for that alone. I'm not too far in the game I'm just at chapter 4 now but I had to post that because I am loving crying from laughter.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Any tips on that block shooting range game? Can't really seem to get enough points for the last two prizes.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I kinda feel bad for almost maxing out stealth (9/10) off Chapter 3 alone, with like five other upgrades across the other skill trees on top of that. But I did spend ten hours on it so I deserved to splurge.

gently caress the multiheaded crawlies for trying to abuse bushes like me.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Rookoo posted:

Any tips on that block shooting range game? Can't really seem to get enough points for the last two prizes.

In the first part, where you only have three colors, your only goal is to accumulate as many time tiles as you can and save them for later. Large matches (where the tiles vibrate) are your lifeblood because they provide time tiles and the only way to reliably generate them at four and especially five colors is by popping time tiles, which converts all the tiles around it into the most beneficial color; it's the circle of life and running out of one makes it VERY easy to run out of the other. Unfortunately the very last part (with five colors) does require a bit of luck, but not an unreasonable amount.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

In the first part, where you only have three colors, your only goal is to accumulate as many time tiles as you can and save them for later. Large matches (where the tiles vibrate) are your lifeblood because they provide time tiles and the only way to reliably generate them at four and especially five colors is by popping time tiles, which converts all the tiles around it into the most beneficial color; it's the circle of life and running out of one makes it VERY easy to run out of the other. Unfortunately the very last part (with five colors) does require a bit of luck, but not an unreasonable amount.

You can also just spam shoot the tiles to form something more beneficial. The game doesn't penalize you for it, so it's useful to carve something out in a pinch.

The gallery is a cool addition. For once a minigame that doesn't feel burdensome and is actually really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Of all the things to cop from RE4, I'm glad it's the shooting gallery.

edit: Speaking of shooting, for those of you who beat the game with all the weapons and didn't get the Powerhouse achievement like me: You need to actually be playing a save where you have all the weapons due to some faulty game logic. So once you beat it on Nightmare, play through until Chapter 2 again on NG+ to be granted the unlockables you earned and it should pop.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 15, 2017

• Locked thread