Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

HEY GUYS LET'S POST ABOUT THIS ANIME ADAPTION OF A GOOD MANGA THAT YOU CAN CATCH ON CRUNCHYROLL EVERY TUESDAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKt3NwcZZGg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

YEAHHHHHHHH BOIIII

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what is black clover

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Stairmaster posted:

what is black clover

Anime

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
THE MANGA IS ENJOYABLE SO I WATCHED THE FIRST EPISODE. IT WAS ALRIGHT I GUESS, BUT NOW I AM DEAF.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

IF YOU ARE NOT SHOUTING EACH POST OUT LOUD AS YOU READ IT YOU ARE NOT YET FULLY COMMITTED TO THE BLACK CLOVER EXPERIENCE

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dryzen posted:

HEY GUYS LET'S POST ABOUT THIS ANIME ADAPTION OF A GOOD MANGA THAT YOU CAN CATCH ON CRUNCHYROLL EVERY TUESDAY

I just remembered what his yelling reminded me of.
https://twitter.com/invisibleman_17/status/915114218197852160

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Asta's voice is so unbearable I'm not sure how any of you managed to watch more than a few seconds into his first scene.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dryzen posted:

WHY ARE WE SCREAMING

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Jesus this show is completely unwatchable with the VA screaming every line at the top of his lungs. How did that get a pass in production? I know it's true to the manga, but it's not tolerable to listen to for any length of time.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

LETS GO GET SOME PIZZAAAAAAA!!!!! ITLL HELP ME BE THE BESSSSSSTTTTTTT!!!!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Wark Say posted:

WHY ARE WE SCREAMING

SCREAMING HELPS US BE THE BESSSSSTTTTTTT!!!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ijyt posted:

Asta's voice is so unbearable I'm not sure how any of you managed to watch more than a few seconds into his first scene.

There Bias Two posted:

Jesus this show is completely unwatchable with the VA screaming every line at the top of his lungs. How did that get a pass in production? I know it's true to the manga, but it's not tolerable to listen to for any length of time.

His voice and screaming owns though?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Erg posted:

The general consensus across the internet is that no, it does not.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Erg posted:

It must be hard to live day to day with hearing loss.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

idk why you'd ever listen to the general consensus of the internet but like you said it's 100% true to the manga for him to talk like that and the yelling was jarring for maybe three scenes and then i loved it and embraced it as the good dumb gag that it was

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Erg posted:

idk why you'd ever listen to the general consensus of the internet but like you said it's 100% true to the manga for him to talk like that and the yelling was jarring for maybe three scenes and then i loved it and embraced it as the good dumb gag that it was

Dumb yes, good no. The character as is is unlikeable trash, and from what I've heard the yelling never stops. Even if I had managed to get past the first scene with Asta I'm guessing I'd probably have found just another cookie cutter shonen.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

if you want to complain about something complain about the chains in the fight scene looking like cg amateur hour

the book reveal owned though

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ijyt posted:

Dumb yes, good no. The character as is is unlikeable trash, and from what I've heard the yelling never stops. Even if I had managed to get past the first scene with Asta I'm guessing I'd probably have found just another cookie cutter shonen.

Asta is actually super likable because he's an underdog that stays an actual underdog and claws his way to every achievement he gets instead of secretly being the inheritor of some dumb lost art or actually being the best in every possible way like 90% of shounen

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Erg posted:

Asta is actually super likable because he's an underdog that stays an actual underdog and claws his way to every achievement he gets instead of secretly being the inheritor of some dumb lost art or actually being the best in every possible way like 90% of shounen

He's just going to asspull a solution in every situation like every shonen hero ever. He obviously is the "secret inheritor of some lost art" given that an unprecedented 5-leaf magic book popped out of thin air because he believed in himself.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

gently caress THE GENERAL INTERNET CONSENSUSSS!!!!!!!!! ITS WRONG ABOUT MANY ANIME THINGS THAT OWWWWNNNNNN!!!!!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

TIME FOR SOME STORIES

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's only appropriate that the anime thread start with takes as bad as the manga one did

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the direction was worse then his voice

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

SCREAMING HELPS US BE THE BESSSSSTTTTTTT!!!
OKAAAAAAAY :)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSByiND5Dvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnsPN2IfAHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOo_o-R0kCw

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Asta yells a whole bunch so unless the new guy voicing him gets told to dial it back you're gonna need to get used to it to watch.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Black Clover is 100% a shounen and I don't think anyone will ever try to say that it's some unique take on the genre. It's a very good shounen because it has good characters and cool magic fights. It's a bit silly to expect things like "Asta gets a new power to solve a situation" to not happen, but at least the idea of people's grimoires getting new spells as they use it is already a thing established in the first episode and not unique to Asta. There's more things later on that do some neat things with what usually happens to a main character but in the end it is still shounen

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

also I listened to asta scream for like 30 minutes making that vid and his scream is still good

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Dryzen posted:

also I listened to asta scream for like 30 minutes while dryzen made that vid and his scream is still good

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Dryzen posted:

also I listened to asta scream for like 30 minutes making that vid and his scream is still good

I LOVE THE VID!!!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched the episode. Never read the manga, but Asta strikes me as the typical hot-blooded shounen hero, so the voice is kinda fitting?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMdf3mTvNsc

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Erg posted:

This.

Erg posted:

I uh...

I have some bad news for you.

Dryzen posted:

Black Clover is 100% a shounen and I don't think anyone will ever try to say that it's some unique take on the genre. It's a very good shounen because it has good characters and cool magic fights. It's a bit silly to expect things like "Asta gets a new power to solve a situation" to not happen, but at least the idea of people's grimoires getting new spells as they use it is already a thing established in the first episode and not unique to Asta. There's more things later on that do some neat things with what usually happens to a main character but in the end it is still shounen
Pretty much this.
Yes, it's a shounen. Shounen gonna shounen. But it's still fun, and does some things in interesting ways and adds fun twists to them.

There are side characters that you see and think, "man, they legit look like main characters of their own :krad: story", but then Asta and the crew does something awesome and you think, "but these crazies are fun and i wanna keep reading about them :allears:"

If you enjoy MHA, you'll probably enjoy this. It's just plain good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm not a shonen expert but i did like how this one very overtly has the main character's struggle align with class dynamics. he's the underdog literally trying to supplant the lovely nobility in his kingdom.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover is aggressively okay and has some really good characters and some pleasant surprises. I don't have much faith in this adaptation given the studio involved and the first episode doesn't really fill me with confidence. We'll see though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll probably catch up on it when it reaches the astapult phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
My voice hurts just listening to it jesus christ

• Locked thread