Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

RISCy Business posted:

post ideas fro things that you're too dumb or lazy to make yourself itt

i would like a virtual change of address system in email where someone can designate a new destination for all their email using their provider/mta, and systems that send mail to that address will automatically pick up on the change and send mail to the correct address

I worked for a company that tried to do this 17 years ago

e: my idea is twitter but with /topic tags so you could follow only like @qirex/rapconcerts or @qirex/boringtechopinions without having to see the rest of my not-tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the topic would be in addition to hashtags [also you get 2 or 3 hashtags 'free']

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a health plan that charges everyone a flat annual fee based on their income

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

I would pay money for this so I never have to hear about sportsball

yeah I mean I think it's a legitimately good idea but there's no way to make a giant billion dollar business out of it and twitter will never do it because they're too busy making their interface worse

I've basically been designing "twitter but good" for like 5 years now as a side project, I'll never actually do it because the math doesn't work but it's a fun thought experiment

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Smythe posted:

how bout this a machine that uses computer vision and some little electrodes to watch and zap you to improve handwriting. "handwriting, long known as the signifier of class, education, and taste. a lost art. now you can have beautiful penmanship, just like the forefathers of this great nation"

if you use enough tiny electrodes you could just have it force your hand to write with perfect penmanship

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

but how would it shock your genitals then

it could do both

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eschaton posted:

MIT's Zephyr has this in the late 1980
I know it's not a novel concept, I tried to design a system like this for one of my employers, using a combo of hashtags and categories and it was seen as "too confusing" [the users wouldn't interact with the model, it was just a way to manage a fairly diverse data set of travel deals that would be easy for the company to manipulate] it's just one of those things that would improve twitter so much

just give each object an arbitrary number of tags, 0 or 1 categories and an optional ttl [another thing missing from both twitter and normal rss] easy peasy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Stick Insect posted:

Kickstarter but in reverse: you promise to buy a thing once the creator actually makes it.

this is what a lot of massdrop is and why it takes like 7 months for stuff to ship

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is such a loving idea guy idea
https://twitter.com/verge/status/923142174904127488
an entry vestibule with a second door so you can let amazon people leave packages but they can't actually enter your house proper plus optional double-locking and bulletproof glass for potential home invaders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there will be different packaged themes for the vestibules including
  • quaint mud room with lots of scarves on pegs on the wall and a pre-distressed faux-vintage hockey stick
  • scandinavian chic, lots of mildly weathered bare pine with some injection molded antlers in semi-gloss white
  • batcave/enterprise transporter pad for insufferable nerds
  • jony ive/marc newsom seamless white plastic

• Locked thread