Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

thinkpads are the leftist computer, stymie

i thought that was the lemote yeelong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
D E H U M A N I Z E Y O U A R E S E L F A N D F A C E T O touchbar macbook pro

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
literally all i wanted was a keyboard with the old layout, spacing and throw, they didn't even do that

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Startyde posted:

literally all i wanted was a keyboard with the old layout, spacing and throw, they didn't even do that

same :sigh:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hifi posted:

i thought that was the lemote yeelong

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I'm not sure why you were expecting anything worthwhile out of modern IBM/Lenovo. They peaked at the Model M.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

thinkpads are the leftist computer, stymie

only if it's a pre-2012 (ish) model that you've dug out of the e-waste

hifi posted:

i liked the old nipple mouse buttons because they were sorta curved for your comfort instead of angular. i think the nipple had better sensitivity than the dell one i have now.

i wasn't a fan of the keyboard when i had to replace the palm rest on mine because the retaining claw thing right by the arrow key cluster would pop out if you lifted the laptop by the right side

the old buttons were a clear expression of function over form, which was the best. they started going downhill ever since they decided to put a trackpad under them, now at this point they're there purely as a matter of obligation. the one in this vid doesn't even have them????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEZMNXz1JY

also i had the palm rest retaining thing on my x220. that thing is the flimsiest part of the entire machine and is alarmingly thin and brittle. i fixed it in the most thinkpad possible way; with double sided tape. works4me

Startyde posted:

looks to be a similar layout to the x220; i like that it's not a loving chiclet monstrosity. but if it doesn't have a comparable amount of feedback what's the loving point? i think the x220 keyboard is the fastest keyboard i type on, mostly because of that feedback. i'm pretty sure i like it better than most cherry mech keyboards

i mean the main issues with the x220 are that the cpu is a battery hog and the screen, even if you have the ips model, is a 1366x768 monstrosity (and that the cooling is woefully inadequate for most tasks, but you could roll that into the cpu complaint). they could update just those two components and release an otherwise identical product and it would be better than whatever the gently caress this is. they'd have more of a chance of getting away with charging $1800 for it as well

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 6, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

all laptops are poo poo now. ill continue to mod my early 2011 mbp with ethernet port and 3 usb ports until i die or it does.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 6, 2017

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

my bitter bi rival posted:

all laptops are poo poo now. ill continue to mod my early 2011 mbp with ethernet port and 3 usb ports until i die or it does.

I sold my 2009 15" on ebay when I moved to the outhwest. I regrt it because it still ran and the keyboard + screen hinge were still good, unlike my 2014 MBA that is falling apart

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my iPad Air 2 still works well

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i miss the thinklight every time I'm on an airplane

give me my loving think light already

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i miss the thinklight every time I'm on an airplane

give me my loving think light already

i'm the shriveled old white guy that busts out a big ol' newspaper and turns the light on in an otherwise dark plane when everyone is still asleep/trying to sleep

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

meatpotato posted:

what was so good about the old thinkpads anyway?

they were just consistently nice business laptops. durable. thoughtfully designed. a little overpriced.

the competition was hit or miss, but when you bought a thinkpad, you knew exactly what you were getting.

naturally Lenovo has gone out of their way to squander all that brand value

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
so is the xps13/15 the default good biznis laptop now

thats what we have and i like it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
dell has a long history of making perfectly adequate business laptops. however, as you have noticed, one must recommend a specific model. some dell units are durable and well designed and some aren't.

there was a time when "thinkpad" just meant "good." all of them. because ibm/Lenovo wouldn't do ya dirty.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Xaris posted:

i have a latitude e5450 and it's good. only issue is the power brick doesn't get recognized like 70% of the time which is probably a pain in the dick if you have to charge your laptop and be somewhere quick but this is just a computing from bed rig

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dell has a long history of making perfectly adequate business laptops. however, as you have noticed, one must recommend a specific model. some dell units are durable and well designed and some aren't.

there was a time when "thinkpad" just meant "good." all of them. because ibm/Lenovo wouldn't do ya dirty.

ehh, the x220 came out in 2011 and the l412 came out in 2010 so there was some overlap

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hifi posted:

ehh, the x220 came out in 2011 and the l412 came out in 2010 so there was some overlap

dell has made decent business laptops here and there since the 1990s. they just never earned a blanket recommendation from anybody, ever

"nobody ever got fired for buying ibm" was more than a joke

the thinkpad gimmick was selling a very high quality product for just a little more than a sane man might wish to pay

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hifi posted:

i have a latitude e5450 and it's good. only issue is the power brick doesn't get recognized like 70% of the time which is probably a pain in the dick if you have to charge your laptop and be somewhere quick but this is just a computing from bed rig

that is a really hosed up issue

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that is a really hosed up issue

yeah it's complete bullshit but if you leave it overnight i guess it tries to do its handshake enough times it works. i don't know why they need resistance on the center pin ( i think) instead of some current monitoring chip or whatever

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dell has made decent business laptops here and there since the 1990s. they just never earned a blanket recommendation from anybody, ever

"nobody ever got fired for buying ibm" was more than a joke

the thinkpad gimmick was selling a very high quality product for just a little more than a sane man might wish to pay

no i mean, both of the laptops i listed are thinkpads and while the x220 was probably one of the last good thinkpad generations, the l series was supposedly noob trash, released before the x220

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hifi posted:

yeah it's complete bullshit but if you leave it overnight i guess it tries to do its handshake enough times it works. i don't know why they need resistance on the center pin ( i think) instead of some current monitoring chip or whatever

also when it doesn't recognize the charger it still gives enough power to not discharge the battery

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
no one makes a laptop worth a god drat anymore

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'd give a blanket recommendation to dell precision laptops. They've been consistently excellent for a long, long time. and they have a nipple mouse!

expensive as balls though

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

atomicthumbs posted:

no sound in linux

quoting this because nobody else picked up on it

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I mean, if you're looking for a durable computer just take it to its logical conclusion and pick up a used Toughbook that's just lived its life bolted to the dash of a cop car and throw an SSD into it

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Jimmy Carter posted:

I'm going to make the same post I do every few months: the best Thinkpad to buy is one that has had its motherboard replaced with a brand new one from Shenzhen that has an i7 in it

https://www.facebook.com/lcdfans/

<3 my x61 tablet, which is finally starting to die, it cant charge its own battery anymore, the 1400x1050 screen was neat for the time but it seems like its a prototype that was put in to production way too soon, the glue leaks out from between layers of the screen onto the chassis

x1 carbon is okay by comparison, but i dont plan to ever throw away my x61t -- actually bought another one of it on ebay a while ago, and cannibalized it for parts for main one

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hifi posted:

no i mean, both of the laptops i listed are thinkpads and while the x220 was probably one of the last good thinkpad generations, the l series was supposedly noob trash, released before the x220

yeah what was lost was the uniform quality across the whole line

i'm sure lenovo still manages to poo poo out a decent laptop from time to time despite themselves, like hp or fuji

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Xaris posted:

that or the precision series like 5520

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Startyde posted:

no one makes a laptop worth a god drat anymore

mostly this tho

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

i'd give a blanket recommendation to dell precision laptops. They've been consistently excellent for a long, long time. and they have a nipple mouse!

expensive as balls though

ya precisions = good, latitudes = ehh

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Xaris posted:

i dunno when they went to poo poo but i bought a t430 about ~5 years ago and it was a piece of poo poo even a year into owning it. almost everything died on it and i had to frankenstein it. eventually there was video-card problem and i tried to replace it and still was dead, so i sold it for scrap on samart (apparently the guy later fixed it because some capacitor on those typically dies lol)

*00 and *01 model numbers were great (you'd open the thing and go "wow nice engineering right there"), *20 was ok ("it has a large amount of minor details that are weirdly mediocre but eh it's still better than fujitsu siemens craptops"), *30 and *40 were piss garbage, *60 and *70 as well as newer model X1 carbons are ok to good again but different so they also function as a horrible nerd detector.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the x41 was a good laptop

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty
Why buy a new laptop when my t42 still works fine all these years later?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nasty Old Randy posted:

Why buy a new laptop when my t42 still works fine all these years later?

pentium m ""superiority"""

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

people in this thread are aware that Lenovo is just another Chinese knockoff now right? complete with preinstalled spyware and everything

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Always willing to debase myself for that little red nub

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Always willing to debase myself for that little red nub

mods this guy is doxxing my Tinder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
my last manager was an ex ibm guy and he had a good thinkpad. it was a physical paper notepad with the ibm logo and their think slogan on the cover

• Locked thread