Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
it looked like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
best laptop ever: transnote

fight me

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

second best laptop ever (and best that can run a current OS without permalag):
x301

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

no late 2015 retina MacBook pro on that list?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

no late 2015 retina MacBook pro on that list?

sorry, but apple (more liek crapple amirite) products are actually bad and no amount of unibody can fix that

h t h

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
thinkpads and mac books are all bad and have always been bad. the first good laptop was the 4k xps15 9550

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

thinkpads and mac books are all bad and have always been bad. the first good laptop was the 4k xps15 9550

too far, shaggar.

the xps13 came out first.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
13 inch laptop is too small to be useful as a laptop and too underpowered to be useful when docked.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

13 inch laptop is too small to be useful as a laptop and too underpowered to be useful when docked.

wow, another completely wrong shaggar opinion!

wow!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

blowfish posted:

second best laptop ever (and best that can run a current OS without permalag):
x301

the X301 confuses me because it is the only one of it kind. what was its raison d'etre

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Shaggar posted:

Incorrect: the 12-inch laptop with a normal laptop-power CPU is the best size.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
i use a maxed out mba 11, it's the closest you can get to a subnotebook. too bad it's dead :rip:
if you need power, ssh to it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

atomicthumbs posted:

Incorrect: the 12-inch laptop with a normal laptop-power CPU is the best size.

the 12-inch powerbook seems like a p neat concept, not many laptops like it today

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Shaggar posted:

:wrong:

carry on then posted:

the 12-inch powerbook seems like a p neat concept, not many laptops like it today

I do a lot of work travelling, so I got a maxed out X250. It's pretty nice.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

atomicthumbs posted:

the X301 confuses me because it is the only one of it kind. what was its raison d'etre

:wrong: the x300 came before it and then the x1 came after it (but was bad)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
non-15 inch laptops are a waste of time and money and idk why you'd ever want one over a vastly superior 15.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

15 inch luggables are outdated and dumb

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wait poo poo im posting from a 15.6"er

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

non-15 inch laptops are a waste of time and money and idk why you'd ever want one over a vastly superior 15.

I see you've never used a laptop on your lap before.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

15 inch luggables are outdated and dumb

if you cant carry an xps15 you are probably malnourished and should seek medical attention

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

I see you've never used a laptop on your lap before.

I use my xps15 on my lap all the time

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

My nephew still clings to a 17" MacBook Pro. The MacBooks Air are a lot more convenient for traveling but I'm not Trump, 11" is for tiny hands only, :lol:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you're stuck in coach and need to work on something a 13" might be slightly better but I'm not gonna sacrifice functionality for that rare occurrence

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

if you're stuck in coach and need to work on something a 13" might be slightly better but I'm not gonna sacrifice functionality for that rare occurrence

if you're doing literally anything but working on a desk a 13" is much more comfortable to use.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
xps is EPIC WIN and only requires 4 rmas and 2 on-site maintenance calls before it works perfectly

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cheap plastic laptops

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

if you're doing literally anything but working on a desk a 13" is much more comfortable to use.

wrong. xps15 is much more comfortable on your lap than a 13

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

15 inches is fine if you're mostly at your desk or carrying the thing from office to office. 12-13 inches is far better if you're genuinely using it as a portable computer.

I can drop my 12.5" thinkpad yoga into my bag and forget about it while bicycling or motorcycling, but I definitely notice my 15" xps.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

millenial lisp: my thinkpad yoga

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pram posted:

xps is EPIC WIN and only requires 4 rmas and 2 on-site maintenance calls before it works perfectly

actually laughed out loud

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

my better halves xps was just like that too, it needed a new mobo and then a whole new computer before it would behave

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i was a dell certified laptop repair tech for 3 years in college at the campus computer store. i probably replaced 600 dell laptop mobos and half that in macbook ones.

worst thing ever was when my coworker went "what's this pink wire" on one of those old school imacs and blew himself across the workshop floor.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i was a dell certified laptop repair tech for 3 years in college at the campus computer store. i probably replaced 600 dell laptop mobos and half that in macbook ones.

worst thing ever was when my coworker went "what's this pink wire" on one of those old school imacs and blew himself across the workshop floor.

what was it?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Beast of Bourbon posted:

lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

what was it?

high voltage poo poo for the crt?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
My T470 non-retro arrived and it's slick looking.
I love the brutalist design. Dual booting Win10 and Arch on the SSD.

Also the smallest laptop I've ever owned because I usually go for 15" or over.

I don't regret the purchase. No sign of superfish certs in the OEM install.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Are people who buy retro laptops the same crowd that bought PT cruisers

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Dual batteries and being able to just hot swap is a great design. Ordered another battery for when I'm on-site with clients.

The keyboard is great, but I'm off alignment, and keep pressing fn instead of ctrl.

Why do all laptops default the F1-12 keys to their special keys now? Reverted this because i want to ALT+F4 not mute my microphone

ThinkPad "i" dot glows.

I miss the numberpad on my old Toshiba.

Lol why does steam still look like a blurry mess on high DPI

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The screen sucks, but it's matte and not some glossy poo poo for fingerprints and dust.

Decent visibility outside without glare.

The last Thinkpad I owned was 12 years ago and I recall the screen also being garbage

Thinkpads are the only laptops in space....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SpaceAceJase posted:

My T470 non-retro arrived and it's slick looking.
I love the brutalist design

Not brutalism.

• Locked thread