Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Sagebrush posted:

Not brutalism.

then what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cheap 90's plastic-ism

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Not brutalism.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's a piece of electronics, so you can't just assign it to any particular architectural movement.

if i had to classify it ("it" being the original thinkpad from 1992) as being inspired by certain well-defined directions, i'd trace it back to american modernism (e.g. the International Style), with the significant bauhaus influences that implies. this makes sense given the era in which the original designer, richard sapper, was the most productive. iirc he also claimed that it was inspired by a japanese bento box, so there's some essence of traditional japanese aesthetics in there.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Sagebrush posted:

it's a piece of electronics, so you can't just assign it to any particular architectural movement.

if i had to classify it ("it" being the original thinkpad from 1992) as being inspired by certain well-defined directions, i'd trace it back to american modernism (e.g. the International Style), with the significant bauhaus influences that implies. this makes sense given the era in which the original designer, richard sapper, was the most productive. iirc he also claimed that it was inspired by a japanese bento box, so there's some essence of traditional japanese aesthetics in there.

Appreciating this post

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I assert that the stubborn tackiness of the thinkpad's design owes something to memphis group, harkening back to the 80s when ibm was still a relevant company

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

I assert that the stubborn tackiness of the thinkpad's design owes something to memphis group, harkening back to the 80s when ibm was still a relevant company

the black square box with bright red circle in the middle, big blue enter key, etc is definitely a memphis kind of thing to do, yeah

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
laptops come in different sizes to satisfy different requirements

personally I prefer a 17" and I might buy a 19" if such a thing existed. but, conceptually, I understand why other people prefer 12 or 15 inches

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

the black square box with bright red circle in the middle, big blue enter key, etc is definitely a memphis kind of thing to do, yeah

paul rand was still doing most of their brand stuff through the late '80s and he was way into that poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

personally I prefer a 17" and I might buy a 19" if such a thing existed. but, conceptually, I understand why other people prefer 12 or 15 inches

anything over 15" isn't a laptop, it's a desktop with an identity crisis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

we have the term "portable" for this -- an all-in-one computer that is easier to move than a desktop tower + monitor, but still meant to spend most of its time in one place.

the imac, for instance, is technically a portable.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

hifi posted:

the dell one sucks although i 've been meaning to throw linux on it and see if its just crappy defaults you can't change in their settings

pls let us know how this turns out?

i dunno if the secret sauce is with the thinkpad nub's acceleration curve or what, but it feels so right, and the dell feels so wrong

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i have a 17" laptop

it is not appreciably heavier than the 15", and it has more usable screen space. huge win

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

we have the term "portable" for this -- an all-in-one computer that is easier to move than a desktop tower + monitor, but still meant to spend most of its time in one place.

i want a giant screen that will actually fit in my lap, or into a 1st class seat on a plane

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i want a giant screen that will actually fit in my lap, or into a 1st class seat on a plane

a 17" is gonna be clumsy as hell in every us or international first class i've been in

yeah they're only like 15" wide but the seat's only 24" and then you're gonna be wrangling it around when you gotta stand up or get a drink or whatever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

a 17" is gonna be clumsy as hell in every us or international first class i've been in

yeah they're only like 15" wide but the seat's only 24" and then you're gonna be wrangling it around when you gotta stand up or get a drink or whatever

fits fine

sorry about your obesity, i guess?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
15" thicc

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

such a myspace angle

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Shaggar posted:

non-15 inch laptops are a waste of time and money and idk why you'd ever want one over a vastly superior 15.

shaggar carries his laptop around in a dedicated rolling backpack

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cool luggable.

but it aint really a laptop.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

i'm seeing a ton of students these days dragging rolling-carryon style bags all over campus

seems lazy

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i want a laptop designed by dieter rams

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

a modern one designed by hartmut esslinger would also be acceptable

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

akadajet posted:

I see you've never used a laptop on your lap before.

what is this???? a lap for ANTS?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

what the gently caress nope

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

14" is the size for the cool computer thats fun to be with imho

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I used a macbook on my lap for a while (playing WoW and stuff) and it slowly burned my leg under the GPU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
[quote="“treasure bear”" post="“477269765”"]
14” is the size for the cool computer thats fun to be with imho
[/quote]

i had a 14" hp for work for a bit and it was the unpopular size that was the last to get driver updates

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

the xps15 is like 14inches and if you need more than a regular bag or your hand to carry it you should probably seek medical attention

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The rubbery coating sounded nice for the retro, don't know how people like plastic aka "carbon" otherwise.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

atomicthumbs posted:

the X301 confuses me because it is the only one of it kind. what was its raison d'etre

a thin and light laptop that didn't suck years before marketing discovered the word ultrabook

the x1 carbon is basically a 2017 x301 (but with terrible lenovo design decisions, though not quite as many as most other lines)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at 19" just buy an imac and a generator

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sagebrush posted:

do you have this book?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Hope-Brutalism-Architecture-1945-1975/dp/0300204469/

it is good

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
reading this thread and seeing all these retarded laptops mentioned I'm even more happy with my choice of 'top (Macbook Air 13")

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

at 19" just buy an imac and a generator

i want it to be thin and light like an ordinary 15", except, huge

apple had the right idea with the 17" macbook

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

wide stance posted:

The rubbery coating sounded nice for the retro, don't know how people like plastic aka "carbon" otherwise.

don't the rubbery coatings just turn into a disgusting adhesive sludge in a few years?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

don't the rubbery coatings just turn into a disgusting adhesive sludge in a few years?

not really because you dont touch the outside of the laptop all that much. i dunno if the new thinkpad has it on the inside though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Wash your loving hands once in a while, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if your company buys everyone a thinkpad you can recognize your own by the distinctive patterns of scratches, smudges and grease spots on the back, far more dignified than all the apple users besmirching their toy computers with stickers

plus each mark tells a story, those shiny finger prints were a chicken quesadilla at DFW for the customer conference, that scratch on the back is when craig [loving craig] knocked it off the table during the story grooming session in march

• Locked thread