Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Wamsutta posted:

You’d think that right? Started off well by killing the werewolf bare handed, but cleric beast took a half dozen tries and I’m getting owned by just random Yharnamites again like it was my first time playing, lol. Picked threaded cane this time and boy I’m missing my +10 cleaver damage. I really wanted to keep fleshing out my first character and finish the DLC in NG. This is incredibly frustrating. :-/

One thing about the Threaded Cane: the whip form is Serrated and therefore gets +25% damage vs Beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Agents are GO! posted:

One thing about the Threaded Cane: the whip form is Serrated and therefore gets +25% damage vs Beasts.

Thanks. Yeah I had read about that. I'm really not sure I like the cane. I managed to beat Cleric Beast with it at +1 but it seems simultaneously far less damaging than the cleaver as well as somehow slower even though it's a dex (skill) weapon. The tricked form never seems to move as fast as I'd expect it to and I eat a lot of shots because of it. I want to keep at it for a bit and see if it clicks but I'm penciling in the saw spear as my plan B.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I'd skip Cleric Beast for now and instead rush Gascoigne and then BSB so you can get to chalices and do the hacked ones. This will let you get end-game weapons like the Burial Blade or Blades of Mercy and you can finally visit the cumm dungeon to get endless blood echos and powerlevel yourself to the point you can take on the DLC again

I have done a little reading about this and it seems confusing as poo poo (getting the Burial Blade early) even though I really want to do it. If I can manage to beat Gas and BSB I'll worry about it then.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

sounds like they rolled a new character tho?

sigher posted:

He's in NG+ with the Gehrman fight ending, so he should be able to just buy the Burial Blade from the Messengers right?

I logged off my NG+ character in the starting room. Honestly I'm not interested in the challenge bump of NG+, I found NG hard enough as it is. That's why I'm so bummed I don't get to finish the DLC and chalices on that character now. I just don't get why they don't let you choose when to start NG+. I also found out I apparently missed the whole Upper Catherdral Ward and two more bosses since I never found the key to it and forgot it existed. I also never went back to the chapel again after a certain point so who knows what happened to all the NPCs. Lol I'm just bad at this.

e: I bitch here a lot because I don't have any friends IRL who game. I love Bloodborne and am glad I stuck with it to beat it. Just frustrating that it seems there's no end to the amount of poo poo I hosed up on my playthrough and getting back to where I was when I got booted into NG+ seems like so much work.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 1, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It really sucks that you got gotten like that by the non-optional NG+ jump. As to why they did it like that, the answer is Dark and Demon's Souls did it, and those were from the same team. DS2 invented the NG+ choice to be taken in the hub, but it was made concurrently with BB and they didn't talk to each other, apparently.

As for the Cane: it will seem underpowered at the start because it is. Once it's about +6 and you have like 20ish Skill, it suddenly becomes really good - its scaling is excellent. Also keep in mind that with high skill, your viscerals do mega damage, and the Cane has one of the fastest R2s, and it's one-handed in both forms for parrying.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Wamsutta posted:

I'm not interested in the challenge bump of NG+
NG+ with your established hoonter is so, so much easier than NG with a fresh character.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah NG+ is a victory lap. It starts to ramp up challenge after that but in NG+ you can just go for gold and smash some monsters.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Wamsutta posted:

I logged off my NG+ character in the starting room. Honestly I'm not interested in the challenge bump of NG+, I found NG hard enough as it is. That's why I'm so bummed I don't get to finish the DLC and chalices on that character now.

The chalice dungeons don't scale up in difficulty on NG+ cycles. They're always the same level. That's why Depth 4 are bordering on the end of a base new game level of difficulty and blood echo rewards and Depth 5 are keyed to the start of a NG+. And your progression does not reset in them when the NG+ reset happens, so you can always pick up and continue through those at your leisure across game cycles.

Wamsutta posted:

I just don't get why they don't let you choose when to start NG+. I also found out I apparently missed the whole Upper Catherdral Ward and two more bosses since I never found the key to it and forgot it existed. I also never went back to the chapel again after a certain point so who knows what happened to all the NPCs. Lol I'm just bad at this.

e: I bitch here a lot because I don't have any friends IRL who game. I love Bloodborne and am glad I stuck with it to beat it. Just frustrating that it seems there's no end to the amount of poo poo I hosed up on my playthrough and getting back to where I was when I got booted into NG+ seems like so much work.

Kicking you into NG+ is a bit of jank that wasn't consistent until DS3 and beyond, like Simply Simon said. And you missed the other stuff because that's how these games are and there's a ton of missable content you are very unlikely to ever see on a blind playthrough. Bloodborne has a crazy short main story path: Gascoigne > Cleric Beast OR Blood Starved Beast > Amelia > Shadow of Yharnam > Rom > The One Reborn > Micolash > Mergo's Wet Nurse and then the final bosses. Everything else is skippable/missable side content that is variably easy or hard to find. It feels bad to miss things like the optional secret final boss and the extra-optional hidden area that is the Upper Cathedral Ward, but I imagine those are by design things most players look up or find in successive playthroughs.

If the threaded cane feels a bit rough to start with, you can always grab the saw spear in the interim, or speed back to the BSB for the first chalice and then abuse some hacked chalices for a burial blade and blades of mercy to mess around with.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 2, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Wamsutta posted:

I have done a little reading about this and it seems confusing as poo poo (getting the Burial Blade early) even though I really want to do it. If I can manage to beat Gas and BSB I'll worry about it then.

this vid goes over how to do it, its really easy if you can beat BSB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTqkPmgAqeQ&t=1s

You dont need to grind the materials if youre not worried about getting +10 super early. There is a google doc in the description that goes over all the different codes you can use in the chalice menu to get a dungeon that will spawn whatever item the doc says it will, you will find the most useful codes on the first sheet of the google doc.

For the burial blade, you will need to use the code nzzn259g and you will find it in a bath messenger store in the first level of the chalice, so no boss which is nice. For the Blades of Mercy, you will want to use code 4kx6eayh. For echo farming, use the infamous cumm dungeon with code cummmfpk. When you spawn in that dungeon, just move forward a little bit to the next room and wait. You will then automatically get a ton of echoes. Then just run back to the lamp to reset to get as many echoes as you need

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I mean, it creates another save for you, so you should still be able to just load the last save right before Gehrmain.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Wamsutta posted:

Thanks. Yeah I had read about that. I'm really not sure I like the cane. I managed to beat Cleric Beast with it at +1 but it seems simultaneously far less damaging than the cleaver as well as somehow slower even though it's a dex (skill) weapon. The tricked form never seems to move as fast as I'd expect it to and I eat a lot of shots because of it. I want to keep at it for a bit and see if it clicks but I'm penciling in the saw spear as my plan B.

I really like the cane, the whip form makes up for being relatively slow by having huge range and spread. I've taken out entire groups with one combo. But yes, it moves slower than you might expect and it takes a while to familiarize yourself with it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Beating Gascoigne first try just now felt really, really loving good. :) A few parries and viscerals and began lobbing molotovs as he began to morph into phase 3. Only used two vials. Stark contrast to my first go around lol.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I've seen some DS3 PC mods that use Bloodborne assets like weapons, blood vials etc. I don't how people are getting those assets dumped to PCs but it would be cool if someone could make a mod called "Bloodborne" that is literally just Bloodborne. With 60FPS support plzkthx.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

I've seen some DS3 PC mods that use Bloodborne assets like weapons, blood vials etc. I don't how people are getting those assets dumped to PCs but it would be cool if someone could make a mod called "Blogborne" that is literally just Bloodborne. With 60FPS support plzkthx.

I wouldn't mind that. Also a big rear end patch to chalice dungeons too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wamsutta posted:

Beating Gascoigne first try just now felt really, really loving good. :) A few parries and viscerals and began lobbing molotovs as he began to morph into phase 3. Only used two vials. Stark contrast to my first go around lol.

Hell yeah, stomp through all of the poo poo that took so many tries that first time.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

sigher posted:

Hell yeah, stomp through all of the poo poo that took so many tries that first time.

Yeah for real. Hardest BSB encounter yet for some reason, I think she took 3 or 4 tries this time before I gave up on parries and just sidestepped everything. Speaking of parries, I think Bloodborne's hardest stretch is from the beginning until you kill BSB, maybe even Amelia. You just have such limited resources in terms of vials and bullets, and at least in my case I get anxiety about it because I really don't want to have to farm them. Once you start making enough echoes that you can spend leftovers on vials after leveling up it gets a lot easier to manage and not have to think about it really.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

More so once you get the chalice and unlock the root ones. The cumm dungeon is an abolute blessing you can use just for buying tons of vials, bullets and other consumables.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Also I went with female character this time around and gave her a long braid and the way it clips through the collar of my favorite attire, the charred hunter garb, killllllsssss me :( Fromsoft things, lol

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I think a few of the hats just block the hair entirely, so if you don't like that clipping you can shove it up and keep it off your neck

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

BSB is easy once you know the trick. Always dodge left, its attacks will go right over you.

Also if you're new and struggling with Amelia, skip her for now and make a trip down to the left of the cathedral. It leads to runes, the easiest boss in the game, and you'll have more levels and weapon upgrades once you return.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7M--sYpa78

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Oh god drat, my early burial blade plans might be an absolute non starter. I’m level 28 with the wet noodle threaded cane +3 and am doing 35 damage per hit to the first chalice dungeon Undead Giant. I can’t possibly beat him with this damage output. I’m out of fire paper from my BSB fights. Getting the BB was kind of the whole point of this run. drat rip.

E: used all my echoes upgrading my saw spear to +3 and it does 43 damage lol. Ok guess I just can’t do this now. Really did think a second playthrough should feel easier.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 2, 2022

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
well you really just need better weapon levels and it'll be faster to do. without hacked dungeons some weapons just take a bit to get to

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Oh god drat, my early burial blade plans might be an absolute non starter. I’m level 28 with the wet noodle threaded cane +3 and am doing 35 damage per hit to the first chalice dungeon Undead Giant. I can’t possibly beat him with this damage output. I’m out of fire paper from my BSB fights. Getting the BB was kind of the whole point of this run. drat rip.

E: used all my echoes upgrading my saw spear to +3 and it does 43 damage lol. Ok guess I just can’t do this now. Really did think a second playthrough should feel easier.

Whack the tumors.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Get abducted to Yahar'gul, farm Twin Shards, kill giant with +6 weapon. Echoes from farming for consumables. Alternatively, if you don't mind not getting to do it with the BB, go to Hemwick for the Twins and farm up what you need for the BB with the BB

Horace Kinch posted:

Whack the tumors.

There's only one

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Wamsutta posted:

yeah on a second playthrough with acharacter you've already beaten game

starting all over will probably kick your rear end all over again unless youre very used to everything / abuse some mechanics to blow through it

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I found Amelia insanely easy the first time and I’m getting crushed now. First time I popped a beast pellet and fire paper and R1 spammed her into paste. This time I can’t even survive long enough to do 10% of her health so I’m scared to even waste a pellet (I don’t have any fire paper). I really think the cane was a mistake. When I switch to the saw spear things just feel better. Not sure I can force the cane to work for me. Also think not having leveled END at all yet is a problem. I barely have the stamina to attack Amelia after dodging. Lol I’m loving this playthrough up.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Wamsutta posted:

I found Amelia insanely easy the first time and I’m getting crushed now. First time I popped a beast pellet and fire paper and R1 spammed her into paste. This time I can’t even survive long enough to do 10% of her health so I’m scared to even waste a pellet (I don’t have any fire paper). I really think the cane was a mistake. When I switch to the saw spear things just feel better. Not sure I can force the cane to work for me. Also think not having leveled END at all yet is a problem. I barely have the stamina to attack Amelia after dodging. Lol I’m loving this playthrough up.

I’ve tried a couple runs with the cane and always switch off it for something else, never taken it all the way through. I hear it accelerates scaling and damage after +6 or +7. There’s plenty of fun skill weapons around if the cane isn’t your thing.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya, never really been a fan of the cane, but Skill weapons in general are my favorite cause there're a lot of great ones. Also, skill increases your visceral attack damage which makes a lot of fights so much easier

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Wamsutta posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zhTtMLt8u8

Upgrade your weapon

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Holy poo poo I'm dying

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Thanks, that was awesome. That character has what looks like at least literally twice my stamina. I'm level 30 and I think I hosed my stats up a bit (chose wrong starting class, put too much into VIT instead of also leveling END and SKL) I don't think I can combo enough swings to stagger Amelia until I have more END and I will have to farm to level END/buy fire paper/vials.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ya, never really been a fan of the cane, but Skill weapons in general are my favorite cause there're a lot of great ones. Also, skill increases your visceral attack damage which makes a lot of fights so much easier

I think I've figured out my problem with the cane: I can't stagger anything for poo poo with it and I relied on stagger and R1-L1-L1 combo to get me through the game my first run with the cleaver. I am not excellent at dodging and without stagger it means I'm eating a ton of shots to the face and using all my vials while also not doing much damage. I guess I need to either learn to use the cane or stop leveling it and go with the spear until I can get another weapon. I don't want to do a spear playthrough, that feels like it's going to be just like my cleaver quality run.

I keep waiting for combat in this game to 'click' and while I have moments where it feels like I know what I'm doing, those are few and far between and most of my time is spent spamming R1/panic rolling/blowing vials and I never feel confident as I'm progressing through an area. Hell of a thing that I managed to first-try Gascoigne this run and barely be hit by him and I've just struggled with all the content since. At this point I'm pretty sure I beat the game just by being over-leveled. I miss my level 101 NG character.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Are you using the cane form too? It's not the beat melee weapon in the game but in a pinch you can still R1 chainstagger some guys with it. But also you do have two weapon slots and you should use them, you don't have to solo main a single weapon!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Wamsutta posted:

Thanks, that was awesome. That character has what looks like at least literally twice my stamina. I'm level 30 and I think I hosed my stats up a bit (chose wrong starting class, put too much into VIT instead of also leveling END and SKL) I don't think I can combo enough swings to stagger Amelia until I have more END and I will have to farm to level END/buy fire paper/vials.
Stagger on big beasts doesn't work by number of swings, it's damage-based: if you hit a limb enough, it breaks, which staggers, and then you do more damage to it. Stamina is nice but doesn't have much to do with it.

quote:

I think I've figured out my problem with the cane: I can't stagger anything for poo poo with it and I relied on stagger and R1-L1-L1 combo to get me through the game my first run with the cleaver. I am not excellent at dodging and without stagger it means I'm eating a ton of shots to the face and using all my vials while also not doing much damage. I guess I need to either learn to use the cane or stop leveling it and go with the spear until I can get another weapon. I don't want to do a spear playthrough, that feels like it's going to be just like my cleaver quality run.

I keep waiting for combat in this game to 'click' and while I have moments where it feels like I know what I'm doing, those are few and far between and most of my time is spent spamming R1/panic rolling/blowing vials and I never feel confident as I'm progressing through an area. Hell of a thing that I managed to first-try Gascoigne this run and barely be hit by him and I've just struggled with all the content since. At this point I'm pretty sure I beat the game just by being over-leveled. I miss my level 101 NG character.
Yeah, combat with skill weapons is notably different. It took me a bit to adjust too, my first playthrough was Axe into Whirligig. Don't be discouraged, though, the whip footage is from like my 7th playthrough, obviously I learned at some point. It's much more hit hit dodge than the cleaver, with the idea being that the swings are fast and don't take much stam (and yeah, you should level it a bit more) so you can hit twice in the time another weapon can afford only once, dodge and then immediately hit again, then disengage if the enemy skill lives. You can also do things like swing the whip as the enemy approaches, starting to damage it, then you dodge its attack, hit L1, which produces a stab as a transform attack, and you're now next to them and can start going ham with untransformed R1s.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Simply Simon posted:

Stagger on big beasts doesn't work by number of swings, it's damage-based: if you hit a limb enough, it breaks, which staggers, and then you do more damage to it. Stamina is nice but doesn't have much to do with it.

Yeah, combat with skill weapons is notably different. It took me a bit to adjust too, my first playthrough was Axe into Whirligig. Don't be discouraged, though, the whip footage is from like my 7th playthrough, obviously I learned at some point. It's much more hit hit dodge than the cleaver, with the idea being that the swings are fast and don't take much stam (and yeah, you should level it a bit more) so you can hit twice in the time another weapon can afford only once, dodge and then immediately hit again, then disengage if the enemy skill lives. You can also do things like swing the whip as the enemy approaches, starting to damage it, then you dodge its attack, hit L1, which produces a stab as a transform attack, and you're now next to them and can start going ham with untransformed R1s.

That’s the thing though, the cane doesn’t seem noticeably faster than the cleaver. I thought the cleaver was a skill weapon until I paid attention to its scaling. It’s fast asf and staggers and has that great transform attack and serrated.

My stamina issue is that after a dodge or two I don’t even have enough left to do an attack. Which kind of makes get in/attack/get out hard and Amelia just lol’s and swipes me while I’m stamina locked next to her. No hit I’ve ever managed to land on her has done anything at all like your video. I’m gonna need to level up to do it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Wamsutta posted:

That’s the thing though, the cane doesn’t seem noticeably faster than the cleaver. I thought the cleaver was a skill weapon until I paid attention to its scaling. It’s fast asf and staggers and has that great transform attack and serrated.

My stamina issue is that after a dodge or two I don’t even have enough left to do an attack. Which kind of makes get in/attack/get out hard and Amelia just lol’s and swipes me while I’m stamina locked next to her. No hit I’ve ever managed to land on her has done anything at all like your video. I’m gonna need to level up to do it.

the cane shines because of its huge reach, being serrated, and having the best SKL scaling fully upgraded. It is not an ideal early weapon. many people love it and once you have played the game multiple times and have bosses like ameila locked down, the only difference is how long the fight is, so those people can easily adjust for the cane's initial weakness.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I tend to go end before vit. really you just need enough vit to not get 2 shot from most bosses. not having the end to both attack and dodge once or twice is super noticeable when you have a fast hitting weapon. bosses only give you a small window to attack so you need to be able to take advantage of those opportunities

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Died three times to Witches of Hemwick and counting, supposed to be by all accounts a joke/easy boss. The AOE keeps murdering me every time. And the run back is hell, there’s so many mobs it’s tough to avoid eating hits and wasting vials on the way there.

How do I first try other hard bosses and just get bodied like this by weak ones? How do I never feel like I’m actually improving at this game? I didn’t have this problem with Demons Souls or Elden Ring. After beating those I actually felt like I had figured some stuff out. I don’t get it. I don’t get why I’m remaining so bad at this game.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 3, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Wamsutta posted:

Died three times to Witches of Hemwick and counting, supposed to be by all accounts a joke/easy boss. The AOE keeps murdering me every time. And the run back is hell, there’s so many mobs it’s tough to avoid eating hits and wasting vials on the way there.

How do I first try other hard bosses and just get bodied like this by weak ones? How do I never feel like I’m actually improving at this game? I didn’t have this problem with Demons Souls or Elden Ring. After beating those I actually felt like I had figured some stuff out. I don’t get it. I don’t get why I’m remaining so bad at this game.

because using different weapons absolutely changes how you interact with the bosses, the timing changes, etc. Also hemwick is just considered easy compared to the later bosses. dont't panic and try and always open on each witch with a charge attack to stun them, that helps negate the AOE they do.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
saw cleaver is also just an amazing weapon. each weapon really is unique and has a ton of variation on how they work. kirkhammer is nothing like any of the starter weapons and you'll get bodied if you don't learn the pattern on hammer time. tonitrus has a time limit on electrification and has a significant step down in power if you're not conscious of it

my best advice is to slow down. it sounds like you're taking damage when you don't need to. the game will gently caress you up if you get over confident. even early game poo poo will ruin you if given an opportunity

unlike souls games you never really reach a point where you can simply face tank everything

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Here's the weapon tier list:

S - all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Exquisite.