Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Undead Giant (or their cannon-lugging baby brother) has a ground stomp with a .02 wine-up that kills me instantly if I’m within what feels like 25 feet of them and I literally never figured out how to beat it so I get them down to half health and just whittle away with bullets.

Bloodborne taught me that to rise above bullshit, you must become bullshit.

For fun game: Imagine a new Hunter has entered the Hunter’s Dream and they need to find you:
A) where will they find you
B) what kind of man/beast would they find
C) what would you drop?

I’d like to be a secret boss in the Cathedral where you enter deeper Yharnam, where he Amygdala transports you to the Lecture Hall. After you kill Mergo’s Wetnurse, going back to that temple you would find an Amygdala Corpse and my Arcane Broccoli man dressed in white church garb. He’d only use Orphan of Kos parasite, Amygdala Arm and the Hunter tools and he’d drop a new Hunter Tool that functioned like Shaman Bone Blades, but it only works on kin and effects the screen globally, so if you are in a room with a bunch of kin and pop your new spell, all the kin in the room go insane and kill each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

What’s a good ranged option for a Strength/Skill (both 50) build? Haven’t touched bloodtinge and very few points into Arcane. I have been using the generic pistol, but I am coming up against some of the last Chalice Dungeon bosses and figure I may as well consider branching out.

The cannon seems cool, but it uses so many bullets that it doesn’t seem practical.

the truth fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 15, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skill doesn't give you any ranged options (so molotovs/bone marrow ash are all you have) but strength does with the cannons and gatling gun. Amygdalas and ebriatases will really make you appreciate having one of those to speed through their last phase.

You can use the cannon 3 times if you use a rune to give you more bullets (4 times with no rune with the church cannon), which will be enough to do thousands of damage to a boss and probably 5 digits total if you hit the head, which will really speed you through that dangerous last phase.

Bust Rodd posted:

Undead Giant (or their cannon-lugging baby brother) has a ground stomp with a .02 wine-up that kills me instantly if I’m within what feels like 25 feet of them and I literally never figured out how to beat it so I get them down to half health and just whittle away with bullets.

That happens when they hit half health and start their second phase. But it happens way too fast since it will still hit you after a perfectly-timed dodge if you're right next to it when it starts (only way to avoid it is to be farther away before the animation even starts). so on the one I most recently fought, anytime I accidentally hit the pustule in phase 1 and instantly took it to the second phase, it would do that and instakill me. That one bullshit thing caused probably half my losses.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

That happens when they hit half health and start their second phase. But it happens way too fast since it will still hit you after a perfectly-timed dodge if you're right next to it when it starts (only way to avoid it is to be farther away before the animation even starts). so on the one I most recently fought, anytime I accidentally hit the pustule in phase 1 and instantly took it to the second phase, it would do that and instakill me. That one bullshit thing caused probably half my losses.

Does it insta-kill you even when you don't dodge? A lot of people forget that Bloodborne has the dodge-punishing mechanic that it literally never tells you about, where getting hit at the end of a dodge will deal increased damage. There's some attacks that I know will one-shot me if I gently caress up a dodge timing, but I'll live through if I just straight-up don't attempt to dodge it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
where's from's new GAME

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Relin posted:

where's from's new GAME

Oh man. It's incredibly exciting to imagine a new From Soft video game. A new game by my favorite game company.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Relin posted:

where's from's new GAME

If they were to announce something before E3 next year it'd be at the Playstation conference in early December.

I know this because I need new Armored Core so very much.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Relin posted:

where's from's new GAME

Yeah what the gently caress. When is PlayStation experience? I'm hoping this rumoured aztec style from thing or some other surprise eventuates at that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
3D Dot Game Heroes 2, where are you :(

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I would like another Souls-like please.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A while back someone floated the idea of an Armored Core game in the style of Souls and I haven't wanted anything I know I ain't gonna get more than that in a long time.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
What's the deal with Armored Core - are those games worth playing? There are like a billion, so if anyone wants to recommend some, that'd be cool.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

What's the deal with Armored Core - are those games worth playing? There are like a billion, so if anyone wants to recommend some, that'd be cool.

I'd say just get AC 4 Answer (I got it on my 360), is really really dated but is fun to play. I followed goon recommendation and picked Armored Core 4 and 4A (5 is mp focused and is dead) but just get 4 Answer.

That said, for a 2008 game it feels even older. Graphics are outdated even for 2008 standards and you may need to check a wiki to get some ideas but the actual gameplay is fantastic. If you own a PS3 or 360, get 4 and 4A from ebay or something really cheap (I got both for like 6€), at worst you can just own them as collector games.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I've still got my 360 so I'll look around for AC 4A then. Thanks!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So if I put an elemental damage gem on a weapon, that completely negates the physical aspect right? Is there anyway I can split the difference? I want to make a lategame change and get a threaded cane with the waning slot to put bolt on it so I have a reliable source, but I don't wanna lose my skill scaling and physical damage either.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Micolash had a really fun progression to learning how to fight him, and had a really fun gimmick, definitely one of my favorite bosses. Every death gave me a new insight that got me further and it took me 7 tries total. It went something like this.

1.The puppets gently caress you up if you just try to rush mico, kill them first
2.Augur is insanely strong, but opens him up for easy backstabs, bait it out and punish for an easy fight
3.He runs directly opposite from you if possible, use this to corral him to the fight room quicker
4.He one shots you with ACB as you recover from the drop into the second fight room, drop attack to avoid
5.Even if you have room to move, ACB probably still one shots you, rush him down and keep him stunned
6.He avoids using ACB if you're right up on him, never leave his side
7.Prey Slaughtered

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

tweet my meat posted:

Micolash had a really fun progression to learning how to fight him, and had a really fun gimmick, definitely one of my favorite bosses. Every death gave me a new insight that got me further and it took me 7 tries total. It went something like this.

1.The puppets gently caress you up if you just try to rush mico, kill them first
2.Augur is insanely strong, but opens him up for easy backstabs, bait it out and punish for an easy fight
3.He runs directly opposite from you if possible, use this to corral him to the fight room quicker
4.He one shots you with ACB as you recover from the drop into the second fight room, drop attack to avoid
5.Even if you have room to move, ACB probably still one shots you, rush him down and keep him stunned
6.He avoids using ACB if you're right up on him, never leave his side
7.Prey Slaughtered

yeah dropattack doesnt always work
I did it once, missed, and he stunlock-ganked me with a double Augur

of course, Micolas seems to be one of the bosses who somehow gets insanely more dangerous on NG+1

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

His augur deals a lot of damage on NG already and ACB is a one shot no matter the difficulty so yes, staying up his face is a good option. He is weak to rapid poison (even more than slow one) so in NG+ onwards, make a fast upgraded weapon built with that in mind as it'll do shitloads of damage to him. And of course keep that weapon for Mergo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If Micolash didn't resort to his wimpy kung-fu, he'd be hilariously overpowered in that "it's hard for him to hit you but if he does oh boy" way, especially because augur and call beyond can't be parried.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Holy christ I hate the bloody crow. This seems like such a poorly designed fight. It's like they took some throwaway generic hunter and tripled all the damage while leaving the boring presentation, so the only option is to cheese it or play it boringly safe.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My take with the bloody crow is the same as with other fights. If they don't fight fair, I'm not going to do either so if I can cheese them, I'll sure do it. This goes for BSB, Micolash and Bloody Crow at least.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
BSB and Mico were cool fights at least. Bloody Crow is just a big room you've been to before, no music, not even a boss health bar despite being such a tough fight.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

tweet my meat posted:

So if I put an elemental damage gem on a weapon, that completely negates the physical aspect right? Is there anyway I can split the difference? I want to make a lategame change and get a threaded cane with the waning slot to put bolt on it so I have a reliable source, but I don't wanna lose my skill scaling and physical damage either.

That's what papers are for. Or the Empty Phantasm Shell, if you're okay with arcane damage.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Febreeze posted:

Also i think the worst boss in the game is a cursed dungeon undead giant. They kill you in pretty much 1 hit on every attack, and they are such damage sponges that you basically have to not get hit for 10+ mintues to have a chance. Its boring and it is obnoxiously difficult, not to mention frustrating to get the thing down to like 5th health bar and have it connect on a kick and kill you instantly.

They are reeaallyy slow and have no jump attacks, even while frenzied. Just shoot them to death with bullets or magic.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The hook hand undead giants absolutely do have a jumping attack. Comes out pretty fast too.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
just cheese the bloody crow

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*teleports behind you*

heh, nothing personnel, kid

(tbf that fight can actually be quite fun if you do it "legit" but drat is it ever RNG-dependent)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtI586pALvQ

slightly more cheesy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O94yWE2EaGQ

The end of the fight is always the problem, because he no longer poisons himself to death below a certain health threshold. So there's some very risky attacks at the end where I got the timing just right and did not get OHKed (not pictured: the other 50 attempts where I wasn't quite so lucky and instantly ate poo poo). So, it's not a good fight, but the kernel of a good encounter is in there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mocolash sucks and his gimmick is bullshit and I will never go toe to toe with him and I’m glad he dies screaming alone in a nightmare where the Freddy Krueger monster is just me, standing up on a balcony, shooting him in the face until he dies.

But I leave the Mensis cage on my Arc/Str dude because that is how wizards dress in Bloodborne goddammit

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

RyokoTK posted:

That's what papers are for. Or the Empty Phantasm Shell, if you're okay with arcane damage.

That's what I'm currently using, but I want a good source of bolt that doesn't rely on non bullet/vial consumables and doesn't use a prohibitive amount of bullets.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Bust Rodd posted:

Mocolash sucks and his gimmick is bullshit and I will never go toe to toe with him and I’m glad he dies screaming alone in a nightmare where the Freddy Krueger monster is just me, standing up on a balcony, shooting him in the face until he dies.

But I leave the Mensis cage on my Arc/Str dude because that is how wizards dress in Bloodborne goddammit

Micolash really isn't hard to duke it out with if you stay right up on his rear end to discourage ACB and keep some good strafing momentum to dodge augur. Hell of a lot less time than cheesing it. The gimmick is cool and one of the more unique bosses in the soulsborne games.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

the truth posted:

What’s a good ranged option for a Strength/Skill (both 50) build? Haven’t touched bloodtinge and very few points into Arcane. I have been using the generic pistol, but I am coming up against some of the last Chalice Dungeon bosses and figure I may as well consider branching out.

The cannon seems cool, but it uses so many bullets that it doesn’t seem practical.

Edit whoops reading comprehension.

Try the Church Cannon. If you're just using it for general purpose rather than for a boss fight, you'll appreciate the lower ammo consumption.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Got platinum :toot:

Already planning my next run. Bloodborne bestbourne :h:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I just bought the DLC. Tell me how to have fun with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Be at least level 70. That's it!

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Any nerds willing to help me out in Ailing Loran layer 1? Just need to kill Beast-Possessed Soul so I can get to these damned claws. I'm level 41 at the moment. PW is lljk.

Oh also I'm RayjenkinsSA.

Edit: Nevermind got it myself. Just needed to not suck.

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 17, 2017

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rayjenkins posted:

Any nerds willing to help me out in Ailing Loran layer 1? Just need to kill Beast-Possessed Soul so I can get to these damned claws. I'm level 41 at the moment. PW is lljk.

Oh also I'm RayjenkinsSA.

Still need help?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

CodfishCartographer posted:

Still need help?

Hah nah I got it, but it figures that my edit was just 1 minute after your post. I just decided to be patient and not get annihilated by his flurry of attacks and parry him like 20 times to death.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CJacobs posted:

Be at least level 70. That's it!

Though you can run around and get lots of neat toys before then if you are patient and/or comfortable with getting repeatedly murdered. Lots of stuff you can wear or wield is littered around the first area before the first dlc boss.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah go in immediately after Amelia, sprint through to find the Whirligig Saw, rip and tear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Finally got my platinum trophy! I swear to god that the loving Watchdog was harder than Amygdala (mostly because the Bowblade is loving amazing on a bloodtinge build). I started dicking around in NG+2, trying to rush the DLC to get the materials to bring my Lost chikage to +10 (now I regret wasting all those chunks and rocks on weapons that I knew I wouldn't really use, like the Burial Blade and the Hunter's Torch...), and I'm starting to feel the NG+2 pain.

I started a STR/ARC character for when I get bored of farming gems and materials, and realized that I'm using "real" STR weapons (axe, hammer, etc.) for the first time. I did use them, briefly, on my very first character years ago, but I always came back to the Saw Cleaver and never bothered to learn the slower, heavier weapons. They're pretty cool, even if I'm having trouble beating BSB (after clowning him on NG+ and NG+2 in the same night). Also, the lower SKL makes for disappointing visceral attacks. Can't wait to get proper ARC tools though; some of them, like the brew, I never even tried once.