Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
A good rule is to buy levels then buy vials each time you go back to the dream. You'll have a bank of vials by mid game that will seemingly never end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Oxyclean posted:

I just wanted something to put in the slot. Wasn't sure if there was anything easily accessible or not.

I am really not liking the blood vial system right now. I'm using more then I find and I don't know any spots with enemies that drop many.

The werewolves on the bridge near the start usually drop a handful, and you'll get some here and there from the big townsfolk, but yeah, there's not a really good spot to focus on farming them. Back when I still had this problem, I'd just make several loops from the Central Yharnam lamp down to the bridge werewolves and back again, and use the spare echos to either level up or buy more vials. I agree the vial system can be annoying, though.

For now, I'd suggest trying to use less blood vials unless you think a run is going pretty well, and if possible make up for some of it w/ emphasis on rallying, if you're not already. It makes you focus harder on improving and being observant, and you're less likely to run out when you really need them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The two giants by central yharnam + the two werewolves & giant up the stairs by Cathedral beast seem to work well. Farming echos for vials feels bad because I just end up thinking "I could be using this for a level." There's spots where spending them makes sense though since Ill probably lose them. They're 360 for me right now.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Okay what is wrong with you people? Every time I go to the Workshop there are at minimum half-a-dozen new tombstones on the spawn point where you all went afk while your chikage was out. The beast have nothing to fear since it seems we all just kill ourselves.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

The two giants by central yharnam + the two werewolves & giant up the stairs by Cathedral beast seem to work well. Farming echos for vials feels bad because I just end up thinking "I could be using this for a level." There's spots where spending them makes sense though since Ill probably lose them. They're 360 for me right now.

That's why I buy my levels and use the spare change for a couple of vials. Add in what you get on the road and you'll be swimming in them and can just start piling on levels or buy a cool item.

So, having vials early means you die less, you don't get stuck farming and accidentally die (losing echoes) you beat a boss and get mondo echoes, you buy vials after new levels with all your secure echo income, rinse repeat until you're a rich hoonter.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

galagazombie posted:

Okay what is wrong with you people? Every time I go to the Workshop there are at minimum half-a-dozen new tombstones on the spawn point where you all went afk while your chikage was out. The beast have nothing to fear since it seems we all just kill ourselves.

You'd think they'd make it untransform when you warp into an area specifically to prevent this exact thing from happening, but nope, From is perfectly willing to let you dig your own grave and lie down in it too :shepface:

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I beat father gas in one try when I got home..... BSB next when I find him. Still dodge left all the time (I hope) or was it right?? Ill find out.

I remember you get some giant rear end sword for beating him.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

JBP posted:

That's why I buy my levels and use the spare change for a couple of vials. Add in what you get on the road and you'll be swimming in them and can just start piling on levels or buy a cool item.

So, having vials early means you die less, you don't get stuck farming and accidentally die (losing echoes) you beat a boss and get mondo echoes, you buy vials after new levels with all your secure echo income, rinse repeat until you're a rich hoonter.

It's a good plan but i keep finding myself at thresholds where I can just pop one or two coldbloods for another level. That said earlier I was hitting a bit of a wall since I got dragged off to the unseen town or whatever and started facing some tough enemies. When I found a way out I made a detour to Hemwick and managed to get my Kirkhammer to +6 :black101: I've had some nice momentum since and just took down Shadow of Yharnam.

karma_coma posted:

I remember you get some giant rear end sword for beating him.

I don't think you get anything expressly for beating BSB (besides the chalice) but it opens a door to an area where you can find an item that will unlock the sword in the shop.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

It's a good plan but i keep finding myself at thresholds where I can just pop one or two coldbloods for another level. That said earlier I was hitting a bit of a wall since I got dragged off to the unseen town or whatever and started facing some tough enemies. When I found a way out I made a detour to Hemwick and managed to get my Kirkhammer to +6 :black101: I've had some nice momentum since and just took down Shadow of Yharnam.

Yeah it's all about momentum. Running dry on vials is a killer and you can end up spending a good chunk of time farming. If I had my time again, instead of farming up vials I'd just go and buy them with the echoes I was making. Also once you've got the library area (can't remember the real name, it's full of watery school blobs) you can just mow down a room of them a couple of times and spend the big echoes on vials, which is a good thing since you're gonna need them soon after.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Oxyclean posted:

I usually run back to Central Yharnam and use the Cleric Beast lamp, hit the giant outside, the two wolves, go down through the house (the sword guys can also drop some vials sometimes) and out to the two giants guarding the shortcut to Gascoigne. Use the shortcut, go over the bridge (optionally going down the ladder to hit up the pig since he always gives some vials), hitting the giant at the other end and the two beastmen right before Gascoigne. Usually fills me all the way up on vials or darn close.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The DJ Grimes just live-streamed a playthrough If Bloodborne while answering questions about it on Twitch and announced that she’s been making music based on her experiences playing Dark Souls.

She a pretty popular festival DJ and makes a shitton of music so I think that’s cool.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Abhorrent Beast is a dick.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Oxyclean posted:

I don't think you get anything expressly for beating BSB (besides the chalice) but it opens a door to an area where you can find an item that will unlock the sword in the shop.

Ahh drat. :( I'm still going to kill him. I thought you got something good for killing him. I'm not real sure what a chalice does.

I cleared out old yharnam this morning except stupid machine gun guy. Forgot about him.

I'm at 20vit/20str/14sk right now. I remember the big rear end sword is str/sk?? I think my stamina is 13 or 14. Bl27.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

karma_coma posted:

Ahh drat. :( I'm still going to kill him. I thought you got something good for killing him. I'm not real sure what a chalice does.

I cleared out old yharnam this morning except stupid machine gun guy. Forgot about him.

I'm at 20vit/20str/14sk right now. I remember the big rear end sword is str/sk?? I think my stamina is 13 or 14. Bl27.

Yeah, I think that's Ludwigs' Holy Blade, you do need to beat BSB to get to it, you just don't get it for beating him. After you beat BSB, go back to the Cathedral Ward lantern - a door will have opened on the right side of the room leading to an elevator.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

karma_coma posted:

Chalices are sort of a side-game to the main game itself. Beating BSB nets you the first Pthumeru Chalice. Basically you use the gravestone altars running along the outer path in Hunter's Dream to perform a Chalice ritual which opens up a dungeon in a particular Chalice area (of which Pthumeru is one). There are 3 other Chalice areas you can find Chalices for, and each one has it's own sort of flavor and set of enemies which can appear inside them. There are also variations on the Chalices, most notably the Root Chalice, which will give you a randomized dungeon (layout, enemy placement, items/treasure) each time.

On a first playthrough, honestly I wouldn't really bother unless you are going for the Platinum trophy, in which case there's a fair number of Chalices you will have to go through to reach a boss who only appears in a particular, really late game Chalice.

Opinions on the Chalices are somewhat divided as well, some people can't stand them other people love them.

But again - a first run? Don't worry about it.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I think that's Ludwigs' Holy Blade, you do need to beat BSB to get to it, you just don't get it for beating him. After you beat BSB, go back to the Cathedral Ward lantern - a door will have opened on the right side of the room leading to an elevator.

Ahhh I seem to remember that .. Kind of.

How do the gems work? I have a few now. If I put one in my kirkhammer is it stuck in there forever?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Nope, you can switch out gems in the Dream at any time!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Where the hell is the haze extractor. I'm almost positive I picked it up but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to use it.

EDIT: Ignore, turns out I've just been seeing tips on it and actually haven't found it yet.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If you care about fashion, beating the first chalice (three floors) gives you the second chalice (central Pthumeru), which, if you beat the boss of its second floor, unlocks a cool ashen witch esque set of armor

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

m.hache posted:

Where the hell is the haze extractor. I'm almost positive I picked it up but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to use it.

EDIT: Ignore, turns out I've just been seeing tips on it and actually haven't found it yet.

Lower Pthumerian Chalice, 2nd Floor pre-boss room, in a large black chest in a sewer tile

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Archenteron posted:

If you care about fashion, beating the first chalice (three floors) gives you the second chalice (central Pthumeru), which, if you beat the boss of its second floor, unlocks a cool ashen witch esque set of armor

IMO this thing is as crucial for an ARC build as a fire weapon and Augur of Ebrietas

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

big cummers ONLY posted:

IMO this thing is as crucial for an ARC build as a fire weapon and Augur of Ebrietas

This. Augur has a huge hitbox and will knock back most enemies if it doesn't parry them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Vargatron posted:

This. Augur has a huge hitbox and will knock back most enemies if it doesn't parry them.

Yeah I believe Shark Giants are some of the only enemies in the game that don't get knocked around by Augur at all

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I believe Shark Giants are some of the only enemies in the game that don't get knocked around by Augur at all

those guys can get hosed forever

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

WoodrowSkillson posted:

those guys can get hosed forever

But... but...

Those guys are my friends and made invading that area such a joy.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Giant shark men are amazing, horrifically difficult enemies

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Loran Darkbeast is an unbelievable rear end in a top hat. It's like I'm literally fighting the camera.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Loran Darkbeast is an unbelievable rear end in a top hat. It's like I'm literally fighting the camera.
It is by a huge margin the worst boss in the game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Isn't he literally a Darkbeast Paarl copy but with triple the health or some poo poo?

I just never locked onto him and tried to break his legs.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Same but Headless Bloodletting Beast.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

The DJ Grimes just live-streamed a playthrough If Bloodborne while answering questions about it on Twitch and announced that she’s been making music based on her experiences playing Dark Souls.

She a pretty popular festival DJ and makes a shitton of music so I think that’s cool.

This is cool, thanks. I'm a fan yet somehow had no idea.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Same but Headless Bloodletting Beast.

Same but the nonboss red eye fire dogs

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Same but the nonboss red eye fire dogs

Oh my god you are preaching to the loving choir on this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

loran darkbeast is awful and maybe the gear checkiest fight in the game. What you want to do is minimize how long you actually have to fight it after it gets bad. There is just no goddamn way to avoid everything forever once it hits its second stage. But breaking a limb is guaranteed to stun it for a very long time as well as remove its lightning charge, making its attacks defensive and low-damage for awhile. So you want to spread out your damage between limbs so that around when it hits stage 2, you can break a limb to knock it down. From there you go limb to limb, breaking each one while it's stunned for huge uncontested damage (the head will give you a visceral as bonus too). if you do it right, you can clean out half or more of its health bar in one swoop

You need your weapon to be +10 to take proper advantage of this

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 24, 2018

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

gently caress this defiled chalice and gently caress amygdala for doing three leap attacks in a row at 3%

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

First time hunter checking in. Tried beast blood pellets for the first time after seeing them in the gdq run someone mentioned earlier, and goddamn did they wreck Logarius. I was having a really difficult time with him, even after figuring out the best way to avoid his magic is to dodge through it (SURPRISE). I had to put him off for days and was just stonewalled between him, the path to Amygdala, and clearing Yahar'gul to get to TOR. But gosh was that fight a lot of fun! shame that alfred turned out to be kind of a psychopath, holy poo poo that scene with anna was brutal

My thoughts on areas I'm in now: I thought I hated the Forbidden Woods but then I got to Nightmare Frontier - that place is an utter mess. Someone at From REALLY liked those little gravestones and decided to put them everywhere so it's so hard to tell what's pathway and what's a wall :/ I just unlocked the shortcut to the boss but plan to do my first attempt tomorrow.

And, well... I thought I hated Nightmare Frontier, but then I got to the second half of Yahar'gul and while it's not as visually confusing, boy does that area stress me out!! I had to put Bloodborne down for a couple weeks between Witch of Hemwick and Vicar Amelia because it was triggering my anxiety and I was having some bad nightmares (I'm good now, gotten past it) but this area is a combination of creepy as poo poo and annoying as hell. I'm just trying to explore because I don't like missing things, and I know there's a key to an optional area somewhere, but angry red people keep spawning on me and murdering me. gently caress bell maidens. It took me up around 20 deaths just to make it to the second lantern.

As much as I'm complaining I'm actually really enjoying myself, like I wouldn't put up with a horror game if it wasn't so much fun and so rewarding an experience.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Fellatio del Toro posted:

gently caress this defiled chalice and gently caress amygdala for doing three leap attacks in a row at 3%

Leap attacks are the way to cheese it with ease. Stay behind its tail, when it leaps, take a couple of steps away in the direction the tail was pointing, and charge an r2, which should hit him in the face. Rinse and repeat.

In fact, my strategy goes like this:

First, do a test run and see how many head hits you need to break it. there's a ton of moves that he drops it down so jump in and take advantage.

Now, for the main event, go in for the head shots and stop one short of breaking it. Run to your left/his right and wail on one of the dangling hand at the side. Keep loving it up till it breaks. gently caress it up some more. If he does a leap, roll out the way, bait out a hand slam, grab a couple of free hand hits and get back there till he rips a pair of and enters stage 3.
You can keep this up a little bit, then get under and behind him and rip shreds out his stupid lil tail. it'll break eventually and deal slightly less pitiful damage, but you're now waiting for a leap so when your charged R2 connects you can land that final hit on the head to open him up for a visceral. If that doesn't finish him off, just keep tail biting and waiting for him to present his face to you again

Shannow fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 24, 2018

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

One thing you get used to playing a souls game, is dying. Once you get over fear of dying, it's hard to get too anxious about most of the game. You start to feel silly, like what's wrong with me, I wouldn't be this much a nervous wreck in a challenging Mario level! fighting a boss for the tenth time and it's two hits from dead and you're out of blood vials... your anxiety will probably come back then!

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

melodicwaffle posted:

shame that alfred turned out to be kind of a psychopath, holy poo poo that scene with anna was brutal

Context is important here. Do you understand the scope of the events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

big cummers ONLY posted:

One thing you get used to playing a souls game, is dying. Once you get over fear of dying, it's hard to get too anxious about most of the game. You start to feel silly, like what's wrong with me, I wouldn't be this much a nervous wreck in a challenging Mario level! fighting a boss for the tenth time and it's two hits from dead and you're out of blood vials... your anxiety will probably come back then!

I'm not sure if this was directed at me but it's not the dying over and over, of course it's silly to become anxious over that, I mean it's just like getting a game over in any other game! But I'm severely affected by imagery of mutilation and I was very much having a bad time with the witches even though most people consider that boss a joke, and just in general I can't do things like horror movies.

Again it is a testament to just how good this game is that I'm willing to deal with that and continue trucking on. Sorry if I'm coming off as defensive, I just didn't want any misunderstandings! :)