Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Rom went from a very hard fight to almost the easiest boss in the game (only the Hemwick witches are easier) for me after I figured out how to dodge the ice barrage consistently and took my time killing the little spiders. More power to you if your spidey-sense is good enough keep track of all the little spiders while killing Rom, it certainly makes the fight go faster. Either way, it's not a bad boss. The only bad bosses in this game to me are cursed hot dog and amygdala, both of which are chalice-only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im pretty sure plank shield actually does a decent job at blocking projectiles in Rom fight but I csnt remember if I tried it myself

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The first time I ran into Rom was in the chalice dungeons.

I'm the weirdo who likes chalice dungeons.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just picked this up with PS Plus. Any good recommendations for PVE Builds? Or tips in general for someone who, for all intents and purposes, is coming to the series completely cold outside of knowing to take every enemy seriously.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Drag out the spiders, at least the ones on one flank, and then you go wild on Rom. Get rid of variables when possible!

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Spikeguy posted:

Just picked this up with PS Plus. Any good recommendations for PVE Builds? Or tips in general for someone who, for all intents and purposes, is coming to the series completely cold outside of knowing to take every enemy seriously.

Learn to dodge and be mindful of your stamina. Try to get a feel for parrying, as it'll help with a potentially frustrating early encounter.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

Raise vitality a bunch

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Spikeguy posted:

Shoot the Cyberdemon until it dies.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Spikeguy posted:

Don't kill friendly NPCs

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

My recommendations:

- buy the DLC
- Weapons scale with your stats. Most of them require that you boost your Strength or Skill to deal decent damage, so choose one and pump it up. Or both.
- buy the DLC
- when you take damage, the HP lost is displayed on your health bar as an orange bar. If you deal damage to enemies while that orange bar is still there, you can steal your HP back.
- buy the DLC

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

Mira posted:

Learn to dodge and be mindful of your stamina. Try to get a feel for parrying, as it'll help with a potentially frustrating early encounter.

Expanding on this, the biggest thing that helped me with the Souls games in general is learning to abuse invincibility frames with your dodge. Bloodborne's pretty generous since it's really your only defensive option, but play around with the early enemies once you've gotten more familiar with the feel and speed of combat, and dodge INTO attacks, not away. If an enemy is swinging at your left side, dodge THROUGH the attack and take advantage of your iframes, rather than dodge back so that you can get away from their swipe completely.

Later on this is vital for attacks like explosions or other burst attacks from bosses, since you can either run out of their range, or just straight up dodge into them with the right timing and continue your assault.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

Level Vitality first, at least to 20. Having a comfortable amount of HP is more important than any stat-based damage boost is going to be in the early game.

Don't take the Threaded Cane as your starting weapon unless you feel really confident. To clarify, it is a fantastic weapon and tons of fun (and my favorite weapon in the whole series by a wide margin), but it is much weaker to start out with than the other two options. That said, if it really does seem like the most fun for you, go for it--I started with it and did fine. You just have to work around its lower starting damage. The massive range is drat nice, though.

Guns are not for dealing damage--they're for staggering enemies. If you shoot an enemy right when they're swinging/lunging at you, you'll stagger them and hear a cool "whoosh" sound. That's your cue to rush up and hit R1 to do a visceral attack where you tear their guts out and deal massive damage. You can do this to almost any enemy that isn't like three times your size. If you can't nail the timing right away, don't worry about it, but it's worth practicing eventually.

There are invincibility frames on your dodge. Because of this, it's often safer to be close to enemies than far away, especially bosses. And it's often safer to dodge towards enemies than away from them.

You're gonna die and you're gonna lose your EXP/currency (blood echoes) sometimes. That's okay and the game is balanced around it. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Uhh, counterpoint-- until you get your weapons upgraded, most of them have awful scaling. Upgrading health to 30 and stamina to 20ish is much more useful than adding a little damage. Besides, by the time you have enough weapons to commit, you'll be glad to not have invested echoes in a stat that doesn't benefit you.

Everyone needs health.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bogart posted:

Uhh, counterpoint-- until you get your weapons upgraded, most of them have awful scaling. Upgrading health to 30 and stamina to 20ish is much more useful than adding a little damage. Besides, by the time you have enough weapons to commit, you'll be glad to not have invested echoes in a stat that doesn't benefit you.

Everyone needs health.

Yes, this. Your stat-based damage scaling is minimal until you upgrade your weapons at least halfway.

Leveling Strength or Skill early on might be necessary if you want to use weapons that require a certain amount to use, but if so, just hit those requirements and go back to getting more HP and Stamina until your weapon's at least +6 or so.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Skill is objectively better for a first playthrough than strength because it also boosts your visceral damage and will incentivize parrying, which is a great habit to get into

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also because the Threaded Cane is the best starter weapon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AZ5XZHIDh0

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Speaking of starting, do the different character types matter? I didn't know what to choose so I went with the milquetoast option. I have the feeling it doesn't matter much, but then again, why are there like 8 choices?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I think Skill is objectively better for a first playthrough than strength because it also boosts your visceral damage and will incentivize parrying, which is a great habit to get into

I'm conflicted on this.

Yes, it boosts your visceral attack damage, but honestly until NG+ your visceral attacks are really strong no matter what stat you level. Meanwhile, good and fun Strength weapons are significantly more accessible in the early game than good and fun Skill weapons. By the late game that evens out, though, and if you hold off on leveling either stat particularly high until that point then you can make a more informed decision.

But there's nothing wrong with leveling both, either!

shut up blegum posted:

Speaking of starting, do the different character types matter? I didn't know what to choose so I went with the milquetoast option. I have the feeling it doesn't matter much, but then again, why are there like 8 choices?

All it affects is your starting stats. Offering a bunch of options is just an alternative to letting you manually pick your starting stats point-by-point, I guess.

In the Souls games your starting "class" also determines what weapons, armor, and magic you start with, but in Bloodborne your weapon choice is totally separate.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

yeah, let's not tell people exactly what stats to level because that restricts the weapon selection. The only things you need to really know are that vitality is a necessity, you need to level up Strength or Skill or both, and feel free to level up Bloodtinge or Arcane, but doing both isn't recommended

shut up blegum posted:

your character type determines your starting stats and level, nothing more

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

shut up blegum posted:

All it determines is how efficiently your character levels up. If you never plan on using bloodtinge or arcane, don't pick those starting ones, otherwise it really does not matter all that much unless you are min maxing. As the game progresses it takes more souls to level up, but you also open up areas where you can kill 10 bad guys in 30 seconds and get a bunch of them. picking the "wrong" starting class just means at some point you might have to go farm u pa few souls to level arcane or something if you want to use a specific thing.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Gonna second the recommendation to avoid the Threaded Cane if you're new. Had a friend who was almost turned away from the game entirely because they chose that as their starter.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My new player gameplay advice is that dodging makes you invincible for a moment, and most of the game revolves around using this

My new player stat advice is to get lots of health, then strength and stamina

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mira posted:

Gonna second the recommendation to avoid the Threaded Cane if you're new. Had a friend who was almost turned away from the game entirely because they chose that as their starter.

also that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mira posted:

It's a painful thing for me to recommend because it's such a fun weapon and it's great once you're in the late-game and can level your Skill really high and gem it out. Its huge range got me through the Defiled Chalice boss fights on the first try each time. But starting out it's at a huge disadvantage compared to the Saw Cleaver and Hunter Axe.

Part of me thinks it shouldn't have been a starter weapon at all, but I can't really think of another Skill weapon that would work as a starter. The good Skill weapons are either too weird, too "special" (like the Burial Blade), or added in the DLC (like the Church Pick).

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks ya'll. I did a little reading as well and I'm definitly going to pump Vit and End first. After that, I'll wait to see the weapons before deciding on STR or SKI.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I just picked up an outfit (with a tophat :dance:) outside cathedral ward and I got beamed in the air, and lost a ton of health. Then I got back on the ground and everything went back to normal. What was up with that?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

shut up blegum posted:

I just picked up an outfit (with a tophat :dance:) outside cathedral ward and I got beamed in the air, and lost a ton of health. Then I got back on the ground and everything went back to normal. What was up with that?

The world's a weird place.

Anyway remember that spot for later.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bloodborne was my first Souls game and I loving loved the Threaded Cane.

Please someone rate my note "fine"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I don't want to say definitely don't use the Threaded Cane--I think it's just a good idea to be aware that there's some extra challenge to it, and that for some people it's just really not going to click at all.

It's my favorite weapon in the series, though. Maybe better advice would be to immediately look up how to find the Saw Spear if you do start with the Threaded Cane just in case you don't like it and want a good fallback weapon.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mira posted:

:same: I went with the Threaded Cane, because it had higher stat scaling than the other starting weapons, but I eventually abandoned it for the Saw Spear, and things went a lot smoother for me once I did that.

Harrow posted:

The world's a weird place.

Anyway remember that spot for later.

I can't imagine how jarring that bit would be for someone if they had a lot of Insight at that point.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

shut up blegum posted:

Those with faith will be spared, you're in the know, right?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

shut up blegum posted:

fear your blindness

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
My save got corrupted and so this seems like a pretty good opportunity to try a new build from scratch. The last run I went was a basic one that used the starting Saw Cleaver and later the Stake Driver which I'm pretty sure were straight-up Strength builds.

I know magic isn't really a thing but the weird hunter tools are basically the same kind of thing so what's a cool build to try that isn't strength and won't have me just using the same old regular weapons?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Skill/Arcane is like insanely fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pierson posted:

My save got corrupted and so this seems like a pretty good opportunity to try a new build from scratch. The last run I went was a basic one that used the starting Saw Cleaver and later the Stake Driver which I'm pretty sure were straight-up Strength builds.

I know magic isn't really a thing but the weird hunter tools are basically the same kind of thing so what's a cool build to try that isn't strength and won't have me just using the same old regular weapons?

May the good Milkweed guide your way

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I love people's reactions to finding uncle touchy outside the cathedral for the first time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I went with Threaded Cane because it looked the most elegant weapon to rip guts out with. I also had a miraclerun where I went from Starting through a bunch of the sewers (avoided BigRat thanks to Youtubes) and thought I'd try the Cleric Beast.

Figured out to aim for the head too late. Goodbye 6k blood echoes.

And yet, I like the game.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Got my vitality to 30 and I love the long axe, should I pump into strength now?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rad Valtar posted:

Got my vitality to 30 and I love the long axe, should I pump into strength now?

Are you happy with how much Stamina you have? If so, then yes. If no, putting some points into Endurance isn't a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Harrow posted:

Are you happy with how much Stamina you have? If so, then yes. If no, putting some points into Endurance isn't a bad idea.

I’ve got 27 which I think is pretty good for now.